Maruti Swift 135 57.45%
Hyundai Grand i10 100 42.55%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2014, 16:34   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Hi,

for hijacking the thread, but an earlier thread that I created got deleted. And I sure hope that this post doesn't get deleted either.

I'm new to the forum, but have been reading quite a no. of posts/threads for some time along with many excellent articles.

And that probably is one of the reasons that I have gotten confused regarding purchase of a new family car.

I'm in the market to replace my old Maruti WagonR VXi 2007 (Petrol) - First Owner.
Has run a little more than 54k kms till date i.e. after exactly 7 years.

My requirement is of a Petrol vehicle.
Diesel actually is not required. Both from Fuel Savings, Breakeven & Maintenance cost - its Petrol Car which suits my requirement.

Price upto 6 - 7 lakhs.

Car will run about 10K kms or less in a year.
Daily city driving will be about 30-40 kms.
Occasional highway driving 1-2 times a month with avg. 300 kms per round trip.

Will get the car financed. Getting ROI @ 10.50% from HDFC for 3 years.
Will sell the car after 5+ years.

I have a family of 5 adults + 1 infant.
Will take family trip probably 1-2 times a month.

Mostly need the car for city driving.
Will be driving alone most of the time with occasional co-passenger.

I don't have a requirement of MUV or SUV at the moment.
Already have a Sedan - Honda City.

My sight is on Elite i20 Sportz (Petrol) and Grand i10 Asta (O) Petrol.
Colour preference - White or Silver.

I know for the price of Elite i20 Sportz, I can buy a Sedan as per my family size.
But what I need is a hatch for day-to-day driving with good maneuverability in tight spaces (as I do with my current WagonR) and without the hassle of searching for adequate & long parking space as required for Sedan/SUV/MUV.

What I'm looking for in my next Hatch is (in terms of priority):

1. Good boot / leg / head space enough for a family trip (5+1 pax).
2. Features equivalent to or more than my current WagonR Vxi 2007.
3. Low maintenance.
4. Good resale value.
5. Value for money.

I want to take delivery by Diwali 2014.

I'm getting confused as both have same petrol engine.

But Grand would give better performance due to low kerb weight as against Elite. Further, I'm getting a deal of 15K free accessories from dealer on Grand. But will ask him for a cash discount instead.
Also, Grand has a waiting period of 15-20 days.

But Elite would suit my family sitting requirement & has better boot / leg / head space as against Grand. No deal from the dealer on Elite.
And Elite has a waiting period of 30-45 days.

Further, there are few features and elements which Grand Asta (O) has better & more than Elite Sportz.
I don't care about the premium tag that Elite has.

I had taken a look at Swift. But my dad wants to break away from Maruti as we already had 3 Maruti's earlier (800, Zen, Esteem). Plus, there are way too many Swift's in my neighborhood. Even, quite a no. of my friends have one too.

I'm in a dilemma.

What do you suggest? Or should I look at some other models/makes!

And sorry for the long post.
Old 21st September 2014, 21:54   #77
D4D
BHPian

Well, since you already have a WagonR, why replace it? Any major problem with it? It would make sense to stick with it for some more time, as it's a perfect city car.

There's a report on the forum of a WagonR which has run over 2 lakh km, so reliability issues are not a problem. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...5-000-kms.html

Incase you're keen on buying a new car, I would say grand i10 is better as the i20 is underpowered for the highway. If you can extend, makes sense to wait for the Honda Jazz(expected in q1 of 2015)

Also look at the Ritz
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 00:16   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Well, since you already have a WagonR, why replace it? Any major problem with it? It would make sense to stick with it for some more time, as it's a perfect city car.
True that! I was running my waggie on stock tyres till about 70k kms. Apart from not being so old enough, your yearly run on the car ain't that much plus the rate of interests for car loans might just drop next year. Though that's just my speculation.
If you really plan on replacing the wagon I'd suggest the Grand amongst your options. I have the diesel and can vouch for the leg space at the back. 3 can sit quite comfortably. If you were considering the diesel then elite would've made better sense.

While you're at it, why not consider the Ford Ecosport? (Just an odd suggestion -try it out!)
Magemegento is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:53   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_goyal2000 View Post
Hi,

for hijacking the thread, but an earlier thread that I created got deleted. And I sure hope that this post doesn't get deleted either.
Your thread probable got deleted as the core question is already being discussed in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-vs-xcent.html

Since you have narrowed down on the Elite i20 & Grand i10, the Grand i10 is the one I'd pick. It is spacious, well equipped and considerably cheaper than the Elite i20 (1.2L) which feels underpowered with more passengers on board/ on highways.

As D4D mentioned, the Ritz would be a nice upgrade from the Wagon R too, although it has begun showing its age in comparison to the Hyundais.

Last edited by S2!!! : 22nd September 2014 at 11:55.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in the market to replace my old Maruti WagonR VXi 2007 (Petrol) - First Owner.
Has run a little more than 54k kms till date i.e. after exactly 7 years.
As other BHPians have said, you may want to consider replacing the Waggie only if you have these highways trips coming often and always have 5 passengers on board always, else WagonR should do well for another 3-4 years.
For highway drives you have the City.

Quote:

My sight is on Elite i20 Sportz (Petrol) and Grand i10 Asta (O) Petrol.
Colour preference - White or Silver.

But what I need is a hatch for day-to-day driving with good maneuverability in tight spaces (as I do with my current WagonR)

What I'm looking for in my next Hatch is (in terms of priority):

1. Good boot / leg / head space enough for a family trip (5+1 pax).
2. Features equivalent to or more than my current WagonR Vxi 2007.
3. Low maintenance.
4. Good resale value.
5. Value for money.

I don't care about the premium tag that Elite has.
With the above information, the only advantage I see with the Elite is the width of the car, else it is Grand all the way, mainly because it retains the WagonR's maneuverability and responsive engine.

I'd suggest that you can seat the regulars in the back seat when you take a test drive to check comfort levels.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:11   #81
BHPian

Quote:
I also like my WagonR. Even I don't wish to replace it.
It is the first car I drove after I learnt driving.

But it's condition has deteriorated on various levels. For example:

1. Stock tyres have not been replaced till date. They have aged & have started cracking, not to forget they've worn out too, thus needing replacement.
2. It's suspension needs serious overhaul and/or replacement.
3. Car has numerous scratches, including some deep, all over the body.
4. Car hasn't been serviced for quite some time.
5. Wiper blades need replacement, all wheel covers have broken.
6. Car is making squeaking noises.
7. Brakes have weakened up a bit.
8. Seat covers have torn from a few places & have also become very dirty.
9. Response of Power windows has become sluggish.
10. Not to forget, an air cooler stand landed right on my car's roof in this year's monsoon winds, thereby puncturing it. Got it fixed though. But is still like an eye sore.
11. I think it's clutch assembly also needs overhaul/replacement, as there isn't that acceleration like newer car models have.

Now, these are some of the problems/defects that are in my notice.
I can post some pics later if u want.

And no, I did not do this to my car. Except that service part.
Rest I got like a gift from my family & god (roof puncture).

Fixing all the problems/defects would require atleast 50K.
Further, all I'm getting in resale for it is 1.10 - 1.25 Lakhs.

IMO, there is no use in investing more amount in the car.
Further, my dad is also blocking me from doing so.

Quote:
Incase you're keen on buying a new car, I would say grand i10 is better as the i20 is underpowered for the highway. If you can extend, makes sense to wait for the Honda Jazz(expected in q1 of 2015)

Also look at the Ritz
Was considering Ritz also initially, my dad is against it. Wants to break away from Maruti for a change.
Nah, can't wait for Jazz. Need a new car ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magemegento View Post
If you really plan on replacing the wagon I'd suggest the Grand amongst your options. I have the diesel and can vouch for the leg space at the back. 3 can sit quite comfortably. If you were considering the diesel then elite would've made better sense.

While you're at it, why not consider the Ford Ecosport?
Ecosport is too expensive. Has a long waiting period. And it's not a hatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
With the above information, the only advantage I see with the Elite is the width of the car, else it is Grand all the way, mainly because it retains the WagonR's maneuverability and responsive engine.

I'd suggest that you can seat the regulars in the back seat when you take a test drive to check comfort levels.
I also like Grand. Took some of my family members to showroom yesterday evening & we 3 pax sat in the rear seat of both Grand & Elite.

My observation :
Elite is more spacious, but has terrible head room. Heads of both side passengers were touching the side roof. One hard bump on road & our heads would collide with the roof, including those grab rails.
Grand is less spacious, but has good head room.

I would have gone with Elite diesel, if there hadn't been that ridiculous 1.5 lakh (approx.) difference between petrol & diesel variants.

Although, test drive of both vehicles is pending.

Everyone except my parents have experienced both the cars. Waiting for their comments & approval.
Plus valuable comment & feedback from Team BHP members.
Old 23rd September 2014, 06:38   #82
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Fixing all the problems/defects would require atleast 50K.
Further, all I'm getting in resale for it is 1.10 - 1.25 Lakhs.

IMO, there is no use in investing more amount in the car.
Further, my dad is also blocking me from doing so.
This situation understandable. That's why my dad sold his qualis. I think Grand i10 is the best choice considering price, performance and size. So go for it.
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:57   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Since you have narrowed down on the Elite i20 & Grand i10, the Grand i10 is the one I'd pick. It is spacious, well equipped and considerably cheaper than the Elite i20 (1.2L) which feels underpowered with more passengers on board/ on highways.
I had narrowed down to Grand & Elite only on the basis of various reviews & articles as per various automotive websites.

I haven't booked the car as of yet.
I'm still open to suggestion regarding any other make/model/variant which suits my budget as well as my requirements.
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:37   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had narrowed down to Grand & Elite only on the basis of various reviews & articles as per various automotive websites.

I haven't booked the car as of yet.
I'm still open to suggestion regarding any other make/model/variant which suits my budget as well as my requirements.
You can also consider the Xcent.
You get the best of both worlds - decent performance comparable to Grand and better space than the Elite.

I own one, and its an immensely practical car (although a bit underrated) , the big and well shaped boot can swallow a lot of luggage. I specially find it useful since i can put my baby's pram inside the boot while going out with ease. Even with that there is considerable luggage space left. The car also has better ride quality than the Grand.

And the feature list is as long as the Grand.
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:07   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
You can also consider the Xcent.
You get the best of both worlds - decent performance comparable to Grand and better space than the Elite.

I own one, and its an immensely practical car (although a bit underrated) , the big and well shaped boot can swallow a lot of luggage. I specially find it useful since i can put my baby's pram inside the boot while going out with ease. Even with that there is considerable luggage space left. The car also has better ride quality than the Grand.

And the feature list is as long as the Grand.
I was also considering Xcent & Amaze.
But then it's not a hatch.

And my dad is also against it.
His argument :- "If u want a long car (sedan), why not drive Honda City which we already have. You don't even drive City, yet u want to buy another long car!!!"

So a hatch it is for me.
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car will run about 10K kms or less in a year.
Daily city driving will be about 30-40 kms.
Occasional highway driving 1-2 times a month with avg. 300 kms per round trip.

Will get the car financed. Getting ROI @ 10.50% from HDFC for 3 years.
Will sell the car after 5+ years.

I don't have a requirement of MUV or SUV at the moment.
Already have a Sedan - Honda City.
Is the highway trips really a big requirement out of this car? You seem to be having a Honda City already which seems to be a better option for highway trips irrespective of which hatch you buy.

The infant in your family will grow in no time and would not be okay with sitting in someone's lap in a couple of years from now, especially on long trips. 3 adults + 1 kid in back seat might be uncomfortable for all of them. If you are looking at a car that you want to keep for 5+ years, then you might need to find an alternate for your highway trips much before that, though I would assume that the alternative might be your City's replacement at that point rather than this hatch.

If this is going to be purely a city car and need not cater to the 5+1 requirement over long distance, my pick would be Grand i10, primarily because of its smaller dimensions which would be a big plus in city use.

EDIT: If you are ignoring Xcent because it is long, please remember that i20 is almost as long as Xcent and much more wider.

Last edited by zenren : 23rd September 2014 at 19:19.
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:34   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Is the highway trips really a big requirement out of this car? You seem to be having a Honda City already which seems to be a better option for highway trips irrespective of which hatch you buy.

The infant in your family will grow in no time and would not be okay with sitting in someone's lap in a couple of years from now, especially on long trips. 3 adults + 1 kid in back seat might be uncomfortable for all of them. If you are looking at a car that you want to keep for 5+ years, then you might need to find an alternate for your highway trips much before that, though I would assume that the alternative might be your City's replacement at that point rather than this hatch.

If this is going to be purely a city car and need not cater to the 5+1 requirement over long distance, my pick would be Grand i10, primarily because of its smaller dimensions which would be a big plus in city use.

EDIT: If you are ignoring Xcent because it is long, please remember that i20 is almost as long as Xcent and much more wider.
Highway trips are not that important. We usually take them in Honda City which has already clocked close to 67K kms.

My WagonR, in last 7 years, has only been taken out to highway barely 20-30 times even though we go out atleast 1-2 times per month. Most of the kms clocked were resultant city driving.
But the new car would definitely be taken out on highway atleast once every month.
The new car will primarily be for city driving.

Ok, I think I inadvertently omitted the fact that 1 pax will get married off next year.
So that'll make total pax 4+1 by next year, or hopefully by this year's end.
And will compensate for the growing child in future.

With regards to Honda City, it'll complete 4 years in December 2014. And will most probably be gotten rid of in 2016 i.e. after 5+ years.
We'll buy a bigger, better car then, either a sedan or MUV/SUV.

And like I earlier said, hatch is additionally being considered for the added convenience of tumble down rear seat, resulting in a huge boot space.
My WagonR has helped me numerous times in carrying loads/items (like AC, etc.) that my City can't.
Same was one of the primary factors for considering i20/Elite.

My mood has set on Grand i10. So will 99% be buying it.
g_goyal2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 08:21   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My mood has set on Grand i10. So will 99% be buying it.
I think it makes sense, given you already have the Honda for long hauls. Else would have suggested the I20.
Old 24th September 2014, 12:18   #89
BHPian

Hi

Little late but it will re-enforce your decision of buying Grand.

I have been using Swift VXI since 2008 and have booked Grand (Diesel Though) for Diwali delivery.
I liked the swift for its peppy engine and fun to drive factor along with its cute rear look (reminds me of old zen rear) but yes the rear seat & boot is horrible. Also after 6 year I find that cost of ownership of Maruti Cars are more compared to Hyundai (I had Santro for 5 years)
My 50K & 60K service cost 10K + in spite of many omissions, which I made otherwise the service guy could have taken the bill to 15K.

Since you already have Honda City for long drive, you would not miss the Swift much and along with all the features, Grand would give you a better mileage as well as back-seat comfort (if you can afford)
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 13:29   #90
BHPian

The car finally settled for is Grand i10.
But now there's a new problem.

My wife & sister are both insisting on Wine Red colour.
Whereas, me & my dad are both adamant on either Pure White or Sleek Silver.

What are your opinions on this?

Further, I checked the extended warranty costs for Grand i10 on Hyundai India Customer Care website.
Except Grand and Verna, rest of the models have 5 year warranty option.
Why have Grand & Verna been singled out?
Or is there a mistake on the website & both come with 5 year warranty option too?
I've sent an email to Hyundai but am yet receive any reply.
g_goyal2000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks