Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2014, 12:54   #136
BHPian

re: Utterly confused : Polo or Swift or Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
The Polo 1.2 TSI is the car to go for.

We have a 2012 Polo 1.2 Petrol Highline and we are very happy with the car. The AC, ride, handling is so much better than the Swift / i20. One has to be a bit careful with starting the car on an upward incline as the 1.2 is a three cylinder engine. Apart from this the engine is rev happy. We have not had any issues with the car.

Since then VW has added a few more features in the car, which makes it even more desirable.

The only other car that comes very close to the Polo is the Punto Evo.
Thanks a lot rpunwani. I would further like to know what kind of FE you are getting from the vehicle. Polo is a car any one can love easily....only if VW ASS was better then buying a polo would be an absolute no brainer

One more thing if you could throw some light upon i.e. how is the rear legroom

Thanks in advance
Old 30th November 2014, 17:13   #137
BHPian

I would want to buy a car with minimum safety features at least. But as of date it stands that the structural integrity of swift is being questioned. A thread about the same is very much active in this forum itself. Keeping this in mind I am having to think about swift. A car with such weak structural integrity is pretty dangerous on indian roads.

Ride and handling of swift us unquestionable no doubt.

All black interiors.we like it. No issues.

Boot....ridiculously small but again from a couples point of view......doable

Another point that has been raised is about used cars. I don't want to go for a used car firstly because I don't want a used car and secondly as I will be going in for car loan, interest rates for used cars are much higher than new cars.

It seems that I am around the same point as when I started this thread but I welcome all members to please pool in their valuable advice and help me decide well in advance before I take the plunge
Old 30th November 2014, 18:35   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drritwik View Post
As for the elite i20, the petrol version suffers from an underpowered engine.
Even I am on the lookout for a new Hatch(P) and have a max budget of 7 Lakhs. Pre-owned option is out as I am not able to convince my wife about it.

Coming to the cars, I did a back to Back TD yesterday of the Swift & the Elite I20 and drove a friends Grand 10. A very short update:

EliteI20 - I was all excited about the Elite, but after a long TD, I chucked it out of my list, felt grossly under powered.

Swift - Was much better that the Elite, but the interiors and the boot space was a big negative.

Grand I10 - Fantastic package for the price. Somehow both of us were not very convinced about it.

After the above 3, I was a tad disappointed, I knew I was not going to get everything for under 7L. Today I went to the Volkswagen showroom and took a long TD of the Polo and fell in love with it. It was more fun than the others and also liked the interiors. I am a bit scared of the ASS after reading a few stories, but still my heart says go book it.

Many have talked about the Ritz here, don't know why I never thought about it, will try and do a TD this week (though I am sold on the Polo)
Old 30th November 2014, 19:29   #139
BHPian

Exactly swapnilup.....once you test drive the polo you are bound to fall in love with it instantly. But again horror stories of VW ASS are all over this forum which makes you think twice.

A big plus for the polo is the NCAP ratings in which the swift....in a sense our national car so to say....fails miserably with its structural integrity brought into question.

Big time dilemma brother
Old 30th November 2014, 22:39   #140
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly no one mentioned about the recent structural instability ruckus about Swift and people are still choosing/ recommending it.

Try the Ritz . I am not saying because I bought one myself but for the reasons why I bought one. It's absolute VFM

Last edited by Altocumulus : 30th November 2014 at 22:42.
Old 30th November 2014, 23:03   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot rpunwani. I would further like to know what kind of FE you are getting from the vehicle. Polo is a car any one can love easily....only if VW ASS was better then buying a polo would be an absolute no brainer

One more thing if you could throw some light upon i.e. how is the rear legroom

Thanks in advance
The FE ranges from about 11 km/l in bumper to bumper traffic to > 18 km/l on long runs (Mumbai - Pune).

The ASS is not too bad for the Polo & Vento as there are many cars and if planned properly, the service experience can be good.

Rear legroom is not the best, but just adequate. The Vento has much better legroom due to a longer wheelbase.
Old 30th November 2014, 23:17   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Surprisingly no one mentioned about the recent structural instability ruckus about Swift and people are still choosing/ recommending it.

Try the Ritz . I am not saying because I bought one myself but for the reasons why I bought one. It's absolute VFM
Thanks altocumulus. It's exactly the point I touched in my previous post about the structural integrity of the swift. I am not looking at the Ritz because somehow I don't like the design and secondly it has been in the market for long.

But either way, u also being from Cal, what kind of FE are you being able to extract from your vehicle and more importantly what are it's shortcomings'.
Old 30th November 2014, 23:18   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
Even I am on the lookout for a new Hatch(P) and have a max budget of 7 Lakhs. Pre-owned option is out as I am not able to convince my wife about it.

Coming to the cars, I did a back to Back TD yesterday of the Swift & the Elite I20 and drove a friends Grand 10. A very short update:

EliteI20 - I was all excited about the Elite, but after a long TD, I chucked it out of my list, felt grossly under powered.

Swift - Was much better that the Elite, but the interiors and the boot space was a big negative.

Grand I10 - Fantastic package for the price. Somehow both of us were not very convinced about it.

After the above 3, I was a tad disappointed, I knew I was not going to get everything for under 7L. Today I went to the Volkswagen showroom and took a long TD of the Polo and fell in love with it. It was more fun than the others and also liked the interiors. I am a bit scared of the ASS after reading a few stories, but still my heart says go book it.

Many have talked about the Ritz here, don't know why I never thought about it, will try and do a TD this week (though I am sold on the Polo)

Try the Ritz - ZXi version, I got it yesterday OTR is 5.7L in Pune. Absolute VFM as others pointed out, tall boy, good boot space and very frugal. And then if you can bargain hard you can get everything you need inside 6L (including all the accessories).

One important thing to remember : ZXi can have a waiting period in case your dealer does not have one in stock or you can bargain hard if he already has one since its December
Old 30th November 2014, 23:22   #144
BHPian

Something which has suddenly hit me, though I am not at all sure if it falls in my budget is the Toyota liva sportivo. If I am not wrong then the sportivo comes with a 1.5 ltr petrol mill which should be a hoot to drive.

Anybody owning one could enlighten me more on this please.

All advices are welcome

I understand the interiors are not up to taste but for a gem of an engine (hopefully) I am ready to compromise on that front provided of course it comes in my budget. Add to it Toyota's bulletproof reliability.
Old 1st December 2014, 09:19   #145
Team-BHP Support

Re: Utterly confused : Polo or Swift or Grand i10

Quote:
Something which has suddenly hit me, though I am not at all sure if it falls in my budget is the Toyota liva sportivo. If I am not wrong then the sportivo comes with a 1.5 ltr petrol mill which should be a hoot to drive.
I think its no more available in that trim. You should look at Etios Cross which has the same engine now.
Old 1st December 2014, 10:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks altocumulus. It's exactly the point I touched in my previous post about the structural integrity of the swift. I am not looking at the Ritz because somehow I don't like the design and secondly it has been in the market for long.

But either way, u also being from Cal, what kind of FE are you being able to extract from your vehicle and more importantly what are it's shortcomings'.
I test drove maybe all hatches available in the market before fixing on the Ritz. Coming from an Esteem my main criteria driving pleasure same as or better than it. I am not a corner carver and prefer straight line pick up. The Ritz definitely ticks that box. Also safety feature was a must.

Shortcomings pretty less but I guess the pedals are a bit high which you will get used to. Also the height adjust in the Zxi helps with that. Body roll is there since its a tall boy but its much less than the esteem so I am happy with it. The car is a little bumpy, but changing tyres to Michelin XM2 helped quite a bit.

FE: Tankful to tankful (Twice): 14.5 km/l only city driving however I haven't crossed 3k RPM yet. It shows 18 on the MID though
Old 1st December 2014, 14:59   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Anybody owning one could enlighten me more on this please.

All advices are welcome

I understand the interiors are not up to taste but for a gem of an engine (hopefully) I am ready to compromise on that front provided of course it comes in my budget. Add to it Toyota's bulletproof reliability.
Liva Sportivo is around 7.2 lacks on road in Kolkata.

I do not own this car but i own a Etios petrol at Kolkata which has the same engine as the Liva Sportivo. The 1.5 L petrol engine.

Yes this engine is really fun to drive. Gives a decent mileage and the car has been reliable. In the new version the interiors are improved but still behind the competition. The interiors are spacious and comfortable. Its a practical and reliable car with nothing fancy.

You can find the details of my car in my long term ownership review over here. If you go through the whole thread you can find everything including all the parts changed and service charges etc etc.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...oint-view.html

Last edited by Samba : 1st December 2014 at 15:01.
Old 3rd December 2014, 21:22   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Liva Sportivo is around 7.2 lacks on road in Kolkata.

I do not own this car but i own a Etios petrol at Kolkata which has the same engine as the Liva Sportivo. The 1.5 L petrol engine.

Yes this engine is really fun to drive. Gives a decent mileage and the car has been reliable. In the new version the interiors are improved but still behind the competition. The interiors are spacious and comfortable. Its a practical and reliable car with nothing fancy.

You can find the details of my car in my long term ownership review over here. If you go through the whole thread you can find everything including all the parts changed and service charges etc etc.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...oint-view.html
Thanks Samba and sorry fro the delay in reverting back to you.

Read up your review and got a pretty nice idea and thanks again for the same

Some one else said that the liva with the 1.5 lt engine is no more available. Are you sure that it is still on sale?

Truly as you said....interiors way behind competition but the only reason I might go for the liva is as I have mentioned earlier...reliability of toyota and the 1.5 ltr engine

Last edited by drritwik : 3rd December 2014 at 21:43. Reason: missed a point
Old 3rd December 2014, 21:27   #149
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

The swift update that has come out leaves me bewildered in a sense.

I understand that I now get inbuilt stereo and auto folding outside rear view mirrors...stereo I could have installed after market and auto folding mirrors more a gimmick than a requirement.

What I completely fail to understand that what on earth was MSIL thinking....the VDI swift gets ABS whereas the VXI doesn't!!!!!! and that too for equal amount of price increase

That means that we are actually paying for the whole thing but are not going to get the ABS?????

This is just too unfair a move by MSIL and iMHO if MSIL are listening they should immediately include ABS in the VXI swift within the existing price
Old 1st February 2015, 07:12   #150
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Is it worth investing 2.6 lakhs in a 2010 March Swift vxi or buying a 2012 Alto vxi for 2.7 lakhs. Thr car is for my aged parents whose monthly usage is hardly 250-300 kms. Pl advise

Most Viewed