Maruti Swift 135 57.45%
Hyundai Grand i10 100 42.55%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 09:57   #1
BHPian

Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Hello Members,

We are in the market for a petrol hatchback. Running will be around 1100 kms per month. The car will 99% be driven in the city. Our basic requirement is peace of mind ownership with the car, good fuel efficiency and comfortable ride quality. Car will be driven by single person 90% of the time and for the rest with 5 people on board.
Our budget right now is 5.5L OTR.

We haven't test driven any car as of now but we have eliminated certain cars on some or the other logic:
(The following is purely my personal opinion about the mentioned cars and in no way is meant to hurt the present owners or any admirers)

Brio- Due to rear glass area, not so good interiors and small car feeling from outside.
Polo- Because its a Volkswagen(read as Skoda).
Ritz- Ugly rear looks.
WagonR- We already got one.
Figo- Not so good petrol engine.
Punto- None of our neighbour has got one.
i20- Petrol engine lacks outright power and is quite laggy is what I have heard.
Liva- Dashboard layout.

So this leaves us with two cars -Maruti Swift and Hyundai Grand i10.

I have been an admirer of Swift as long as I can remember and would buy one blindly if its not for the tiny boot space. Our current WagonR easily swallows all our luggage for any airport or Railway station run but I cannot imagine the same with the Swift.
We are okay with black interiors and claustrophobic feeling at the rear seat.
The variant falling under my budget is the VXI.

The second is Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz- The car is loaded with so many features which the customers at Maruti showroom can only dream about.
Gi10 Sportz has got push button start, smart key, auto folding mirrors, music system, rear ac vent, rear parking sensors.

Forget other features, the Swift VXI will not even come with a music system.

My only concern with Grand is that I have heard complaining a lot of previous gen i10 owners for not so good Fuel efficiency out of this Kappa 2 engine which the Grand also uses and moreover as per our official review the ARAI mileage of grand is a km or two less than the previous gen i10.
That means grand is even less fuel efficient than the older i10.

I request the owners of older i10 and Grand to share their FE figures here please.
Also what is the realistic FE I can expect with the petrol Swift?

I am focussing more on this Fuel efficiency part as the running will around 1100 kms a month.

Also is it true that Hyundai cars does not age that well as compared to Maruti? I have seen several WagonRs that have more than a lakh kms on the odo and still in good condition but rarely a Santro in the same good condition for that matter.

Please help me which one to go for.
Recommendations for any other car is also welcome and do share any other comments, suggestions and ownership experience of the said two cars.

Thanks in Advance.
Sherlocked is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 10:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

@Sherlocked

My vote: Swift VXI.

Reasons:
1) You get a better more refined 4 pot engine
2) Superlative A.S.S(and believe me, MASS is still cheaper than most other A.S.S)
3) Higher resale value
4) More fun to drive. Extremely peppy engine
5) More informative MID
6) Marginally better FE
7) Better NVH levels
8) Better top speed
arnabchak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 10:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are okay with:

1. Slightly cramped and claustrophobic rear passenger seats,
2. Compromised boot space
3. High loading bay for rear boot

then Swift should be the ideal choice on the positives it has, namely:
1. It's a Maruti - hassle free ownership & service
2. Very nimble on feet.
3. New platform has good safety scores. If you can get the model with airbags & ABS, so much better.

On the other hand, comparing the i10 Grand with Santro or even the older gen i10 is injustice. Last week, some of my relatives were home and I had a good look into the Grandi10 that they bought a few months ago. I can tell you the build and the material quality is unmatched in this segment. And Hyundais these days carry much higher trims than the competition. So, I expect it to age much better than the Santro and older gen i10.

Take a call accordingly.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 11:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey Kunal.

My vote goes for the Swift.

Reasons are the same as mentioned by arnabchak. Yes the swift is poorly loaded with features, but the refinement, fun to drive factor and Maruti's reliability takes away the cake from its Hyundai counterpart.

I have been driving a DZire VXI for the last 17 months and I get around 15-16 kmpl on my everyday drive (Sodala to Sitapura).

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2014 at 12:17. Reason: Typo
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 12:18   #5
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

My vote goes to the Hyundai Grand i10. Its a newer product. Interiors are better than the swift. More space. Looks better (subjective). And the petrol engine is very good. Not as fun to drive as a Swift but that should hardly matter if you are just driving inside the city. You basically more bang for your buck if you go for Grand i10.

Cheers
amansanc
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 12:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. Both are excellent products backed by superb after-sales networks. The two brands score well on reliability too.

If I was driving myself, I'd pick the Swift purely because it's a lot more fun to drive. The Swift's dynamics & direct steering make it a pleasure on the twisties.

As a family hatchback, my choice would be the Grand i10. It beats the Swift in terms of:

- The Swift LXi / LDi & VXi / VDi have awful brakes (only the Z has good brakes).

- Interior quality. No Maruti touches the Grand i10 in terms of interior quality & finesse. The difference is a world apart. The Swift screams 'economy' while the Grand i10 is 'premium'.

- The petrol is super refined, peppy & reasonably fuel efficient. The complaints you here are mainly for the AT variant.

- Feature list is more expansive. There's a certain feel-good factor with the Grand's modern features which is lacking in the Swift.

- Comfortable ride quality (Swift is also softened now). Doesn't have the bumpiness of the older i10.

- Bigger + more practical boot.

- I find the backseat of the Grand i10 more comfortable. Supportive seat, relaxed backrest angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
You get a better more refined 4 pot engine
He's considering the petrol. The Grand i10 is definitely more refined overall. It's the diesel which lacks a cylinder.

Quote:
Extremely peppy engine
The i10 has a better bottom end than the Swift's K12. Maruti weakened it (compared to the 1st-gen Swift).
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 12:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I honestly don't think that the I10 will have a poor FE to an extent that it will be significant over a period of time. The after sales of Hyundai is very competent too although it would surely cost you a little more than the Maruti. But the Grand I10 brings a lot more than that to the table:

1. New and refreshing design and feel.
2. much better and more luxurious interior design and quality.
3. Lot of additional gadgets which really make the ownerhsip process that much more pleasurable specially when it is self driven most of the times.
4. Much larger and usable boot space for all those trips to the airport.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 13:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
The car will 99% be driven in the city. Our basic requirement is peace of mind ownership with the car, good fuel efficiency and comfortable ride quality. Car will be driven by single person 90% of the time and for the rest with 5 people on board.
Being purely a city drive, I would recommend Grand i10 over the Swift. It has much better low end performance. The ride is equally comfortable, Hyundai's are on par with Maruti's hassle free ownership and A.S.S., and when you need to travel with 5 people on board, Grand i10 is superior than the Swift.

Quote:
The second is Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz- The car is loaded with so many features which the customers at Maruti showroom can only dream about.
Gi10 Sportz has got push button start, smart key, auto folding mirrors, music system, rear ac vent, rear parking sensors.
All the above mentioned features are truly worth it, and helps a lot in everyday city use, plus the feel good factor. The OE music system sounds quite decent. Swift has none of these.

Quote:
Also is it true that Hyundai cars does not age that well as compared to Maruti? I have seen several WagonRs that have more than a lakh kms on the odo and still in good condition but rarely a Santro in the same good condition for that matter.
Quite surprised to see this, as I have not noticed or owned a Maruti which holds better than a Hyundai. I have seen neglected & battered Hyundai's aging better than cared after Maruti's. Coming to Grand i10, it feels much better built than the Swift, be it the interiors or exteriors

Quote:
Please help me which one to go for.
Recommendations for any other car is also welcome and do share any other comments, suggestions and ownership experience of the said two cars.
Own a 2012 Zdi with 49k's, and recently experienced a Grand i10 Asta Petrol for about 500 kms. Based on this I will certainly recommend a Grand i10.

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by noopster : 17th July 2014 at 14:48. Reason: Refer mod note inline
ScorpMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 14:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the interest you have on the feature-list available on grand i10 sportz I would say you will be the happiest with it. Its indeed a premium proposition when compared to Swift VXi.

Mileage for grand will be in the ball-park region of 11-14 provided you dont have a super heavy right foot

As GTO pointed out, Swift does feel more planted than a Grand i10 but that's on the highways/twisties which is not your requirement. Within city handling wont matter much. Rather the comfort of those 5 people on-board would. Add to that the premium feel the Grand has.

But a few points to be wary of when its a Hyndai is :

1. The service/parts bill at H.A.S.S will be more than M.A.S.S. Period!!!
2. The resale value of a Swift will be more than a Grand for sometime to come. Incase you are planning to keep it more than 5 years you should be fine of either of the cars.
3. Mileage might be a couple of kmpl less. But I guess that shouldnt be a problem considering the packaging of a Grand i10.

Rest, I think Grand i10 checks most of your requirement-boxes.

But brother please get a couple of back to back proper test-drives before you take a call. All the best.

Last edited by SoumenD : 15th July 2014 at 14:12.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 14:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Grand i10 would be the obvious choice here, its a more mature product than the Swift and the engine is quite peppy too.

On the FE part, i can say you should get anywhere between 12-13 in normal driving conditions. I have an Xcent - which is based on the Grand i10 and i am getting around 12.5 kmpl during initial runs (my car has not even completed 1000 kms yet).
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 14:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would go in For Suzuki Swift VXi primarily because of below reason:
1.A Lot better resale value.
2.A much better car to drive.
3.The engine of i10 is no match to swift be it in terms of performance or FE.

The area where i10 scores over Swift is w.r.to feature list, and space.

My opinion here is what is the point in having fancy features when the basics of car is a big let down.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 14:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Hello Members,
Car will be driven by single person 90% of the time and for the rest with 5 people on board.
My vote is for Swift in this case.
We helped a friend test-drive a Grand i10.
Observed a couple of things:
  1. 3 of us, all normal built guys, hopped into the second row and felt the leg-room to be fantastic, but it wasn't easy for the 3 to sit together. We nudged each other badly.
  2. When I was driving, initially I felt very comfortable resting my right arm on the doors switch panel trim, but later when I had to do a quick turn in the middle of traffic, I got my hands hit around the cabin while I was trying to make the turn.

The Grand i10 just didn't feel so roomy.

All the best!
vishnu-man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 14:36   #13
BANNED

I think Grand is the way to go.
Swift has a look that never ages but the freshness in the Grand's style matches to great extent and the feature list only leaves the Swift in the dust.

Now considering the fact that it will be used primarily as a family car, the extra space in the trunk can't be ignored.
No doubt, Swift is more fun to drive but how many times do you think you are going to indulge in spirited driving? Besides, as mentioned by GTO, Grand has enough low-end push to satisfy the occasional petrol-head itch in you.

Grand is selling like fast and looking at the increasing number of fan-following for the Grand, price difference while resale should not be much between the two cars.

I only have two words for you: Go Grand.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 15th July 2014 at 14:48. Reason: 'hot cake' replaced with 'fast'
MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 14:40   #14
BHPian

So I guess, Grand i10 appears to be a more sensible buy. Will do multiple Test drives by the weekend and update here. Thanks again guys for the advices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
@Sherlocked

My vote: Swift VXI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

...then Swift should be the ideal choice on the positives it has
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Hey Kunal

My vote goes for the Swift.
I have been driving a DZire VXI for the last 17 months and I get around 15-16 kmpl on my everyday drive (Sodala to Sitapura).
Hi Bhavik. How have you been?
Thanks for sharing those FE figures. They are indeed very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
You basically more bang for your buck if you go for Grand i10.
Completely agree with you on this. Hyundai have become more VFM than any other manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

As a family hatchback, my choice would be the Grand i10. It beats the Swift in terms of:

- The Swift LXi / LDi & VXi / VDi have awful brakes (only the Z has good brakes).

- Interior quality. The Swift screams 'economy' while the Grand i10 is 'premium'.

- The petrol is super refined, peppy & reasonably fuel efficient. The complaints you here are mainly for the AT variant.

- Feature list is more expansive. There's a certain feel-good factor with the Grand's modern features which is lacking in the Swift.

- Comfortable ride quality.

- Bigger + more practical boot.

- I find the backseat of the Grand i10 more comfortable. Supportive seat, relaxed backrest angle.

-The i10 has a better bottom end than the Swift's K12. Maruti weakened it (compared to the 1st-gen Swift)
Thanks for the details GTO. Now that really clears some of my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I honestly don't think that the I10 will have a poor FE to an extent that it will be significant over a period of time.
Thanks Dr. Mohit ,Grand i10 does looks more tempting to me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Please find my suggestions in bold.
Thanks for the comments ScorpMan. Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Grand i10 would be the obvious choice here, its a more mature product than the Swift and the engine is quite peppy too.

On the FE part, i can say you should get anywhere between 12-13 in normal driving conditions. I have an Xcent - which is based on the Grand i10 and i am getting around 12.5 kmpl during initial runs (my car has not even completed 1000 kms yet).
Thanks for sharing those FE figures DCEite. Much appreciated. I am assuming those figures are with 100% AC. If that is the case then they appear to be perfectly fine as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Mileage for grand will be in the ball-park region of 11-14 provided you dont have a super heavy right foot

But a few points to be wary of when its a Hyndai is :

1. The service/parts bill at H.A.S.S will be more than M.A.S.S. Period!!!
2. The resale value of a Swift will be more than a Grand for sometime to come. Incase you are planning to keep it more than 5 years you should be fine of either of the cars.
3. Mileage might be a couple of kmpl less. But I guess that shouldnt be a problem considering the packaging of a Grand i10.

Rest, I think Grand i10 checks most of your requirement-boxes.

All the best.
Thanks SoumenD and yes Grand i10 is rather more appealing to me now. I'm not concerned about the resale as the car will be kept in the family for many years to come. Hopefully.
About the service part, I guess even Maruti has now become expensive now, but since Grand has yearly service duration so I guess I can live with that and hope that no premature part failure occurs.

Mileage is the only issue with the Grand. As you said that it will be couple of kms less, then with my monthly running of 1100 Kms if I get 12 kmpl with the grand and 14 with the Swift, I will save approx 1000 bucks with the Swift at petrol rate of 76/ litre. And who doesn't want to save on fuel.
Old 15th July 2014, 14:45   #15
BHPian

I, too, vote for the Grand i10 over Swift. If you keep the car 5 years, the difference in resale value wont matter much.

Grand i10 is way better to drive than Swift Vxi in the city, though Swift has more pull on highway.

Also interiors, technology, rear vent, rear seating are better on the Grand.

Hyundai long term ownership cost may be more than Maruti, but is not a huge difference nowadays to tip the decision.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed