Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Micra CVT or Brio AT
Micra CVT 24 52.17%
Brio AT 22 47.83%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2015, 10:58   #76
BHPian

Re: Going Automatic on a Rs. 2 lakh Budget!

My priorities are
i) AT - since my physical condition no more permits to drive a manual car in city traffics for four hours a day :(

ii) some safety features - if any new cars with AMT (others are beyond my budget) offered some safety features I'd happily bought one. In fact from my Swift Vdi the Celerio feels like a downgrade!! In fact apart from space (which isn't a factor for me since 99% I'll be the sole occupant) I do not find any value in a Celerio AMT over a Alto AMT.

iii) I'd spend 5L only on a new car. If I'm buying a used car I'd restrict my budget within 3L.

iv) and the car should be comfortable with good back support and thigh support (another minus point for Alto).

Since my running is high (~1500KM/month) FE is a major concern for me. That's why I can't totally rule out the Maruti AMT cars which offers very good FE.

The diesel Zest AMT fits my needs perfectly but out of my budget.

I'll not buy any used Skoda/VW cars how lucrative they are just because of the horror ASS stories and with the age of the cars visit to ASS becomes very frequent.
Old 8th February 2015, 11:03   #77
BANNED

Get something safe is all I'll say.
Brio AT
Micra AT
These are the budget safe hatches.
Celerio and alto are a BIG downgrade.
Check out the brio AT. You'll have to stretch a little bit, but you'll get a very nice safe comfortable nimble little hatch.
The black interiors are another plus point.
Old 9th February 2015, 14:15   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
My priorities are
i) AT - since my physical condition no more permits to drive a manual car in city traffics for four hours a day :(

ii) some safety features - if any new cars with AMT (others are beyond my budget) offered some safety features I'd happily bought one. In fact from my Swift Vdi the Celerio feels like a downgrade!! In fact apart from space (which isn't a factor for me since 99% I'll be the sole occupant) I do not find any value in a Celerio AMT over a Alto AMT.

iii) I'd spend 5L only on a new car. If I'm buying a used car I'd restrict my budget within 3L.

iv) and the car should be comfortable with good back support and thigh support (another minus point for Alto).

Since my running is high (~1500KM/month) FE is a major concern for me. That's why I can't totally rule out the Maruti AMT cars which offers very good FE.

The diesel Zest AMT fits my needs perfectly but out of my budget.
The diesel Zest AMT does not come with airbags.

Unfortunately there is no car today that can satisfy all your priorities. Considering your running, I don't think it is advisable to buy an under 3L user AT. Cars that come in this range will definitely be older and hence FE will potentially be in single digits. The extra money you would need to spend on fuel can potentially cover the extra cost of increasing your budget (If for example buying on loan). With 1500KM per month and say a mileage of 8kmpl for a used AT, you will need to spend around Rs 10-11,000 per month. If you get a Brio/Micra for ~7.5 L, you will easily get an in city mileage of 12-13 and your monthly fuel cost would come down to ~ Rs 6000 per month. The corresponding increase in EMI would be ~2500-3000 per month. So you would still save 2-3000 a month.

Of course, just a rough calculation. There can/will be other factors involved.

If you compromise on Safety, then the Celerio/Alto AMT are the obvious options, but I don't think you will be comfortable for 4 hours a day in these cars.
Old 9th February 2015, 15:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The diesel Zest AMT does not come with airbags.

If you get a Brio/Micra for ~7.5 L, you will easily get an in city mileage of 12-13 and your monthly fuel cost would come down to ~ Rs 6000 per month. The corresponding increase in EMI would be ~2500-3000 per month. So you would still save 2-3000 a month.
Was at the Honda showroom 2 days ago for checking out the Honda Brio AT. The SA mentioned that in the city, do not expect anything above 9/10kmpl.
Ofcourse this would depend on individual driving style but 12-13 would be a bit too optimistic in the city.
Old 1st March 2015, 21:49   #80
BHPian

Ashwin489 you ought to assess the approx no. of kms you intend to run up.

Also the initial cost of cars, more so with pre worshipped cars, is only one part of it. The cost of maintenance and the "headache value" of breakdowns are very important factors.

That said an Automatic sedan will be likely less driven and is a safer bet. But if the unfortunate happens and it needs a visit to the garage the bill could wipe out the smile of owning it.

If your ok with taking that chance any Honda AT is a super buy. The santro is no fun to drive at all.

Also remember that if you are doing a lot of kms then fuel bills will be a dampner. Unless you drive exceedingly frugally do not expect upwards of 7-8 kms to a litre.

Last edited by vineshpikale : 1st March 2015 at 21:50. Reason: need to clarify the last line.
Old 13th May 2015, 12:51   #81
BHPian

Re: Nissan Micra CVT or Honda Brio AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Here are my observations on Brio vs Micra :

1> Very slow throttle response in Micra, felt like if you press the accelerator today, the car would move tomorrow, totally unusable in city traffic. In comparison, the response in Brio is very fast.
That's shocking - any inputs from Micra CVT owners?
Old 13th May 2015, 17:47   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
My wife has a Micra CVT. I've driven it many times I can surely say, the response isn't as bad as mentioned. Surely the response is slower in the regular mode, but because of which, the FE is a minimum of 12 KMPL(max 14~14.5).

Of course if you need the kick, the Sports mode in the Micra does a very good job.
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 18:28   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
My wife has a Micra CVT. I've driven it many times I can surely say, the response isn't as bad as mentioned. Surely the response is slower in the regular mode, but because of which, the FE is a minimum of 12 KMPL(max 14~14.5).

Of course if you need the kick, the Sports mode in the Micra does a very good job.
+1 to rohansachar. Here is my experience from the test drive. With light foot, the pickup was linear and car reached a speed of 80kph comfortably. For city drive, I found this to be quite adequate.

The slow response is visible only when you need a sudden surge of power for overtaking (is this the rubber band effect?). However when the sports button is pressed, the RPM jumps up and you can feel that extra torque in tap. Still, any overtaking on highways will need some careful planning. During the last test drive, I could not take the car on a straight highway to test highway manners. I will be doing one more test drive to evaluate this behavior.

In Brio even a little urgent press to accelerator results in dropping of a gear which results in a good pickup. If one is and enthusiast and is looking for spirited driving, then Brio is my choice. For sedate driving, Micra would be my choice.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 18:37   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
The SA mentioned that in the city, do not expect anything above 9/10kmpl.
Ofcourse this would depend on individual driving style but 12-13 would be a bit too optimistic in the city.
I get about 9.5-10.5 kpl (Summer/Winter) on mine in the city and any place will be better than Kanpur. We have done well of 15,000km!

I may add that very soon we may see a CVT in the Brio. The new Jazz is getting that, and I hear the City (MkIV) already has it.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th May 2015 at 18:38.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 14:04   #85
BHPian

Interesting thread!
I was in the same state for almost a month. Sold my beloved 11 year old Alto LX yesterday and booked Brio AT.

My non-negotiable parameters were a) budget < 10 lacs, b) AT c) airbags

I test drove Micra CVT, Celerio AMT, Alto k10 AMT, Grand i10 AT, Brio AT, new Jazz S CVT.

Since only Micra, Brio and Jazz V CVT offer airbags, no point in discussing the rest.

Micra's CVT is the oxymoron here. While its apt for a sedate driving, I felt the engine has a mind of its own, lacked the 'punch' factor. Though I absolutely loved the driver seat panoramic view. Waiting period was 2 weeks, 8.75 L on road.

Jazz CVT has the same CVT issues, and costs 9.3 L on road, with a waiting period of 3+ months at Pune. The stock horn is abysmal. Even CD100 SS has better horn. It is a stunner to look at - but I have Cruze AT .

Brio AT is VFM for me, costs 7.5 L on road, without CVT, has the punch. I loved D3 mode the most :P. I admit it lacks interior features, but I dont need them, since it will be mostly used for office commute and/or errands.
Old 15th July 2015, 20:07   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Interesting thread!
I was in the same state for almost a month. Sold my beloved 11 year old Alto LX yesterday and booked Brio AT.

My non-negotiable parameters were a) budget < 10 lacs, b) AT c) airbags

Brio AT is VFM for me, costs 7.5 L on road, without CVT, has the punch. I loved D3 mode the most :P. I admit it lacks interior features, but I dont need them, since it will be mostly used for office commute and/or errands.
Quite the requirements for me too.

What is the waiting period for the Brio AT?
Old 15th July 2015, 21:05   #87
Team-BHP Support

With a Micra XL CVT (XL-C) version launched, its now a nice VFM offering which is very difficult not to consider. For city driving its quite a compelling proposition.
Old 19th July 2015, 14:10   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post

Approximately a month
Old 19th July 2015, 16:19   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Approximately a month
Quite shocking that Honda is making a customer wait a month for a car that has poor sales. It is not as if there is a big demand for the Brio.

The Brio is an excellent option in the AT space and I feel Honda should be doing better to push sales. Maybe too focused on Jazz.

Congrats on your purchase. Hope you get the car soon.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:32   #90
BHPian

We test drove the Jazz AT my FIL has pre-booked at Magnum Honda Bangalore and he was very impressed with the smoothness of CVT, combined with the spirited iVTEC.

The only thing going against confirmation is the unavailability of Airbags in the S CVT variant (which actually retails for ~ 8.9 lakhs), while the V CVT is a tad over his budget at almost 10 lakhs OTR.

The SA is continuously dodging our request to provide a TD of the Brio AT, perhaps because he wants us to settle for the Jazz

Now, just when we were deliberating, I chanced upon this thread and our considerations are somewhat similar:

1. Limited use by a senior citizen - say 400-500 KMS/month
2. AT a must - my recommendation given that my FIL is used to laid back Coimbatore traffic
3. Safety features also a must - at minimum ABS and 2 airbags

I thing the Micra CVT makes a compelling case for our needs, the only concern being the occasional highway trip to Mysore. Say, thrice a year.

Is the Micra CVT a real no-go even for sedate highway driving (60-80 KMPH)? If yes, is it a better decision to opt for a traditional torque converter box instead?

The Micra CVT XV retails at 8.65 lakhs and has ticks 95% of the boxes, except for the unbelievable "European" ground clearance of 150mm

Most Viewed