View Poll Results: Micra CVT or Brio AT
Micra CVT 24 52.17%
Brio AT 22 47.83%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 22:57   #1
BHPian

Nissan Micra CVT or Honda Brio AT

Hey guys I am on the look out for an automatic hatchback for my dad. Now, I would have gone for the Brio over the micra anyday just because of the 4 cylinder engine but the major issue is unavailability of stock.

The other problem is that I am moving abroad for my studies on 18th August and no Honda dealer is able to confirm if they will be able to deliver the car before 18th. The usual reply is if you book today I will "try" to get the car before 18th.

Additionally, the Micra gives more features for the money like climate control, bluetooth, CD player, push button start, etc. For a premium of 40k on road. The Micra also has a CVT which is much more efficient. But the 3 cylinder engine is what makes me think thrice before booking.

I have to take a decision by 3rd of August so guys all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Note: I had considered the GT TSI but it is way out of my budget. The celerio and grand i10 don't offer any safety features.

Last edited by rockporiom : 30th July 2014 at 22:58.
Old 30th July 2014, 23:09   #2
BHPian

I am in exact same position as yours. I want to also buy AT hatchback and have drilled down to brio VX AT and Micra cvt. I know Micra has more features but I am personally concerned about its ASS. I am going tomorrow to do a TD of Brio AT.
All the other AT hatchbacks lack safety features and hence I came to these models.
i20 AT and Polo GT TSI are out of budget for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 30th July 2014, 23:14   #3
BHPian

re: Nissan Micra CVT or Honda Brio AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I am in exact same position as yours. I want to also buy AT hatchback and have drilled down to brio VX AT and Micra cvt. I know Micra has more features but I am personally concerned about its ASS. I am going tomorrow to do a TD of Brio AT.
All the other AT hatchbacks lack safety features and hence I came to these models.
i20 AT and Polo GT TSI are out of budget for me.

I was also concerned about the after sales but the nissan guy said that after nissan has taken over indian operations the conditions have improved. However, I doubt of the resale value will be any good for the micra.

Last edited by rockporiom : 30th July 2014 at 23:30.
Old 30th July 2014, 23:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
I was also concerned about the after sales but the nissan guy said that after nissan has taken over indian operations the conditions have improved. However, I doubt of the resale valie will be any good for the micra.

Yes I am also concerned about the resale. I believe (may be wrong) that Honda may have good resale and good ASS. Basically peace of mind in terms of ownership of the vehicle.

Old 30th July 2014, 23:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I was also concerned about the after sales but the nissan guy said that after nissan has taken over indian operations the conditions have improved. However, I doubt of the resale valie will be any good for the micra.
No Automatic petrol car has a good resale value in India. Be it the Brio AT or the Micra CVT both wont fetch you much when you decide to sell them. My pick of the two would be the Brio AT because of the Honda's After Sales service and fuss free ownership. If you leave aside the features and CVT, the Micra loses in every other aspect. I don't think the AT on the Brio is that bad.

But frankly looking at the Petrol AT's market in India i would suggest you look for a used sedan/ hatch like the city,i10/20.etc.

Asit
Old 30th July 2014, 23:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
No Automatic petrol car has a good resale value in India. Be it the Brio AT or the Micra CVT both wont fetch you much when you decide to sell them. My pick of the two would be the Brio AT because of the Honda's After Sales service and fuss free ownership. If you leave aside the features and CVT, the Micra loses in every other aspect. I don't think the AT on the Brio is that bad.

But frankly looking at the Petrol AT's market in India i would suggest you look for a used sedan/ hatch like the city,i10/20.etc.

Asit
My dad is strictly against used cars. Also the finance rates are on the higher side with lower tax benefits.
I don't know about other places but honda auto's manage to fetch a good price here in ahmedabad. In fact, honda auto's and verna diesel auto sell at a higher price than their manual counterparts.
Old 30th July 2014, 23:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys I am on the look out for an automatic hatchback for my dad.
Voted for Micra. Reasons are:

1) Better looks in comparison to Brio.

2) The irritating Glass hatch.

3) Brio AT costs about INR 6 Lakhs. Is it worth to spend such a big sum on such a small car?

Quote:
I want to also buy AT hatchback and have drilled down to brio VX AT and Micra cvt. I know Micra has more features but I am personally concerned about its ASS.
Apart from above stated reasons, I shall be frank on the ASC's culture in present time; See, none of the brands offer 100% fool proof ASC support right from Fiat to Ferrari and Maruti to Mercedes but still people buy their vehicles and get them serviced at the ASC. To avoid any surprises from the ASC it is always best to keep a check on how the work is being done.

Secondly, There will be a couple of Nissan ASC branches in your locality so in case you don't like one then switch to other.

Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 23:37   #8
BHPian

Confused: Micra CVT or Brio AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post

Asit

I am someone who is buying car for first time so I am not really comfortable with the idea of buying used cars. I have many a times seen ads on olx and such for 2003-2004 etc year honda city for under 3 Lakh. But I have no idea about what problems it carries underneath. Also old AT cars would give terrible mileage I think.
Also I want safety features and hence considering Brio AT. Else I could choose Grand i10 and such but they don't have safety features.

PS: Sorry for hijacking your thread OP but I would also want to participate since both of us have exact same requirements.

Last edited by raksrules : 30th July 2014 at 23:39.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 23:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have driven both for more than 300 km in the same day, in the city and on the highway, Both have their strengths and weaknesses and both are VERY good machines.

For example:

Brio -

5 speed, no rubber band effect like the micra, more comfortable with cruising on the highway than the Micra, takes its time to upshift and downshift.

The handling is UNPARALLELED to anything I've ever driven. AMAZING AMAZING.

Suspension feels more 'built to last'.

Interiors are a bit bore and less features as compared to the Micra

Micra -

The pickup is fantastic, a rocket but the downside is on heavy throttle inputs the engine stays at higher rpms for a longer time, has the rubber band effect.

Handling is not that great as a Brio but still very good

Interiors are better than the Brio.

Mileage is better than the Brio

Take a long big test drive of both of them consecutively and check out which one you like. With either of them you can't go wrong.
humyum is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 23:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
My dad is strictly against used cars. Also the finance rates are on the higher side with lower tax benefits.
I don't know about other places but honda auto's manage to fetch a good price here in ahmedabad. In fact, honda auto's and verna diesel auto sell at a higher price than their manual counterparts.
Diesel auto's like verna always sell good. Its good to hear about Honda AT's having a good market at your place, i rarely see any on sale in Pune. (majority are Accords, Civics.etc. which have a lower resale than their manual counterparts). I get the point about used cars
So anyway i think the Brio AT satisfies all your requirements, i dont think it would be wise to reject it just because it has lesser features than the Micra.

All The Best

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 23:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Voted for Micra. Reasons are:

1) Better looks in comparison to Brio.

2) The irritating Glass hatch.

3) Brio AT costs about INR 6 Lakhs. Is it worth to spend such a big sum on such a small car?

Thanks
1)Personally I find the exterior of the brio better and the interiors of the Micra.

2) Well the SA banged the rear glass hatch real hard just to prove a point. The way he banged it assured me that it won't break that easily. Well if you mean loss of privacy because of the glass then yes that is a -ve point.

3) Well, even the Micra isn't a big car. Both the Micra and Brio are small cars. Plus the Micra is 40k costlier thank the Brio on road Ahmedabad.

Quote:

PS: Sorry for hijacking your thread OP but I would also want to participate since both of us have exact same requirements.

No need for apologies I knew there would be more people like me because I couldn't find any proper comparison of these both on any websites.

Last edited by rockporiom : 30th July 2014 at 23:54.
Old 31st July 2014, 00:13   #12
BHPian

I had the same confusion when I had to get an AT hatch back. Guys at VW turned me down when I went to check out the GT TSI saying that production is not much and there is minimum 8 months waiting period.
Then next options were Micra CVT and Brio AT.
While Brio is a drivers car, I din't quite like the looks from behind and also the interior design and quality was not to my liking.
Micra seemed to be the all rounder and a more sensible choice. Basically, needed a city car and I gave more weightage to safety and convenience as its going to be driven by wife, mom and probably sister too. Power and performance were not my priorities for a small city car. So Micra CVT it was. Such a convenient little thing it is and perfect for the city. Loaded with features, good fit and finish and overall quality and refinement is quite good for a car at that price. Pick up from stand still is great but otherwise not so much. Mileage is less that what they claim when you drive in city traffic only. Once only took it outside city and then it did give a much better average.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 00:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I had the same confusion when I had to get an AT hatch back. Guys at VW turned me down when I went to check out the GT TSI saying that production is not much and there is minimum 8 months waiting period.
Then next options were Micra CVT and Brio AT.
While Brio is a drivers car, I din't quite like the looks from behind and also the interior design and quality was not to my liking.
Micra seemed to be the all rounder and a more sensible choice. Basically, needed a city car and I gave more weightage to safety and convenience as its going to be driven by wife, mom and probably sister too. Power and performance were not my priorities for a small city car. So Micra CVT it was. Such a convenient little thing it is and perfect for the city. Loaded with features, good fit and finish and overall quality and refinement is quite good for a car at that price. Pick up from stand still is great but otherwise not so much. Mileage is less that what they claim when you drive in city traffic only. Once only took it outside city and then it did give a much better average.
How much does the Micra give in the city? My friend who recently purchased his Brio AT gets 12-13 km/l in bumper to bumper traffic. I somehow like the looks of the Brio over the Micra but opinion on looks differ from person to person.

Note: Honda acclaims 16.97 km/l for the Brio AT.

Last edited by rockporiom : 31st July 2014 at 00:19.
Old 31st July 2014, 00:33   #14
BHPian

I think Nissan also claims 17+ Km/L for Micra but in bumper to bumper city traffic you wont get more than 12. Somewhat in the same lines of Brio I guess as far as mileage is concerned.
Brio does look smart in some angles but equally tiny and not so pleasing from some other angles. They could have given a much better rear end to Brio.
I felt Micra's looks were more balanced, as in doesn't have that good looks and bad looks combo. But again, that could be just my taste.
I changed to a little more broader tyres and de-badged the Micra leaving just the Nissan logo.
Overall, happy with it for almost a year now.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 00:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I think Nissan also claims 17+ Km/L for Micra but in bumper to bumper city traffic you wont get more than 12. Somewhat in the same lines of Brio I guess as far as mileage is concerned.
Brio does look smart in some angles but equally tiny and not so pleasing from some other angles. They could have given a much better rear end to Brio.
I felt Micra's looks were more balanced, as in doesn't have that good looks and bad looks combo. But again, that could be just my taste.
I changed to a little more broader tyres and de-badged the Micra leaving just the Nissan logo.
Overall, happy with it for almost a year now.
Nissan claims 19.34 km/l for the CVT variant and 18.44 km/l for the manual variant. Most of the cars having CVT claim more for the CVT variant than the manual variant. Even in case of Kizashi Suzuki claimed 12.7 km/l and the manual claimed 11 but the results are opposite in real world situation.

One more thing about the Micra that I found stupid was that the insurance was stupidly too high. It was quoted at 32k with 0 dep cap. On the other hand the Brio's insurance costs about 21k even though its cheaper than the Micra. Any idea why such a difference?

Most Viewed