Brio AT 22 47.83%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2015, 16:54   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandywanders View Post
I have been looking to purchase an automatic hatch ever since I developed a problem with my left wrist but the scarcity of reliable automatic hatches with safety features is real problem. For some time considered dropping the Airbags requirement but then these things cant be retrofitted.

I had done a TD of the Brio manual some time back but did not like its built quality and interiors. Somehow it just felt inferior to my Ritz which has served us brilliantly past 5.5yrs. The ride also felt very boucy and loud thuds were coming from the suspension. The SA blamed it on the test vehicle not being serviced yet and being one from the very first lot of cars. I had test drove the Amaze earlier than that but the ride was much better. Not sure if it was an issue with the TD vehicle only? Can anyone advise?

Was not able to TD the automatic. They have an Amaze AT for TD which I am thinking of doing.

Now the SA just informed me that they have a couple of Dec 2014 Brio ATs which they are selling at a substantial discount. The discount puts it at a little more than par with the pricing of a Ritz AT which comes with a 4 speed transmission and no airbags. The SA is not averse to thorough PDI or multiple PDIs. In fact the Honda SA has been really nice and patient. Sometimes pushy but never unpleasant.

Have not considered Micra due to ASS. Being a woman who will be driving single most of the times, cant take a gamble on ASS. Plus, the current deal makes it about a lac costlier than the Brio VX AT.

Really confused if I should consider the deal. Any suggestions?
Unfortunately at this time the Micra and the Brio AT are the only hatches that come with safety features. The only other option is the Polo GT TSI which will be ~2.5 Lakhs more than the Brio. The GT TSI is pretty much the best AT hatch out there. But VW ASS is also not the best. So probably not an option for you based on the criteria.

If you can adjust to the interior and build concerns you have about the Brio, it is a good car to go for. Peppy engine, decent 5 speed AT Box, safety features. The discounts will make it more VFM

The other option you can check out if you can stretch the budget is the Hyundai Xcent AT. Although it is not a hatch, pretty compact car and comes with all safety features. Comes with a 4 Speed AT box, but reading some ownership reports here, seems a competent car for city and occasional highway driving.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 17:17   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Unfortunately at this time the Micra and the Brio AT are the only hatches that come with safety features. The only other option is the Polo GT TSI which will be ~2.5 Lakhs more than the Brio. The GT TSI is pretty much the best AT hatch out there. But VW ASS is also not the best. So probably not an option for you based on the criteria.
I did think of the GT TSI but as you rightly pointed its a lot more expensive than the Brio. Much much more than my pocket currently allows.

Quote:
If you can adjust to the interior and build concerns you have about the Brio, it is a good car to go for. Peppy engine, decent 5 speed AT Box, safety features. The discounts will make it more VFM

The other option you can check out if you can stretch the budget is the Hyundai Xcent AT. Although it is not a hatch, pretty compact car and comes with all safety features. Comes with a 4 Speed AT box, but reading some ownership reports here, seems a competent car for city and occasional highway driving.
I was interested in checking the Hyundai Xcent but the dealers here don't have a TD vehicle. Just the manual. I agreed to TD the manual also but they just wont call back despite me having requested atleast 4 times
Cant even imagine what it would be like getting it serviced. Similar experience with Maruti. No call back from the Sales guys despite me being a returning customer. So wierd.

As regard the interiors, they can be lived with I feel. Although they did not look or feel as nice as the materials on my existing car. I would have personally preferred the all black interior version they recently launched, but then again that would cost another lac more than the stock on offer.

Their stockyard is near the showroom itself and they are ready to let me have a look at them. Maybe I should go and have a look at the ones on offer?

Also would TD an Amaze give an idea of the autobox? I have never driven an automatic before.
Old 30th January 2015, 17:46   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Their stockyard is near the showroom itself and they are ready to let me have a look at them. Maybe I should go and have a look at the ones on offer?

Also would TD an Amaze give an idea of the autobox? I have never driven an automatic before.
No harm in having a look. Get the VIN numbers, use the decode thread here to identify the month of manufacture (You would not want to buy a car that is potentially sitting in the yard for several months. Alternatively you can use that info to get some more discounts (assuming the PDI indicates no issues with the car). You can use the saved money to may be plush up the interiors.

Driving the Amaze AT should give you a very good idea of the AT box. It is same as on the Brio, considering the engines are also shared, the experience should be very similar.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 18:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
No harm in having a look. Get the VIN numbers, use the decode thread here to identify the month of manufacture (You would not want to buy a car that is potentially sitting in the yard for several months. Alternatively you can use that info to get some more discounts (assuming the PDI indicates no issues with the car). You can use the saved money to may be plush up the interiors.
Thanks for the idea. Just got the VIN numbers from them. Their cars are Sep, Oct and Nov 2014 stock. The November one may have been booked or sold. If that's the case, should I have a look at the Sep/Oct ones or are they too old for consideration?
Old 30th January 2015, 19:32   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the idea. Just got the VIN numbers from them. Their cars are Sep, Oct and Nov 2014 stock. The November one may have been booked or sold. If that's the case, should I have a look at the Sep/Oct ones or are they too old for consideration?
I guess depends on the discounts they are willing to offer. If it is not significant then may as well get a 2015 manufactured one. Oct manufactured means it would have reached the dealer ~Nov. So should be ok to consider. There is a thread somewhere here that has guidance on things to consider when buying a car that has been lying in the dealer yard for a few months. Have a look at that too.
Old 30th January 2015, 20:28   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I guess depends on the discounts they are willing to offer. If it is not significant then may as well get a 2015 manufactured one. Oct manufactured means it would have reached the dealer ~Nov. So should be ok to consider. There is a thread somewhere here that has guidance on things to consider when buying a car that has been lying in the dealer yard for a few months. Have a look at that too.
The discount being offered is 50k. Would that be good enough to consider?

I am trying to read the PDI and the other thread regarding car lying with the dealer. Thanks.

Have planned to go for inspection of these vehicles and test drive of the vehicles tomorrow. Will update after that.
Old 31st January 2015, 14:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been looking to purchase an automatic hatch ever since I developed a problem with my left wrist

Have not considered Micra due to ASS. Being a woman who will be driving single most of the times, cant take a gamble on ASS. Plus, the current deal makes it about a lac costlier than the Brio VX AT.

Firstly, I hope you are getting that issue with your wrist attended to and wish you a speedy recovery

Like I always maintain, check to see if any of your colleagues own a Nissan and if they do and haven't had any issues with the quality of service, then why must it stop you from checking out the Micra which is far superior in automatic guise than the Brio. Build, ride, safety and comfort will also impress you. At the end of the day, the Micra is a reliable, uncomplicated Japanese product.

If you're adamant on sticking with the Brio, then yes going for those Dec manufactured ones at a good discount shouldn't be a bad idea
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 16:08   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Firstly, I hope you are getting that issue with your wrist attended to and wish you a speedy recovery
Thanks IshaanIan. I am getting treatment for it but it's a nerve impingement issue and won't be an easy one to sort out. Actually I myself am not much of an automatic fan having driven manuals for more than a decade but this health issue forced me to consider automatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Like I always maintain, check to see if any of your colleagues own a Nissan and if they do and haven't had any issues with the quality of service, then why must it stop you from checking out the Micra which is far superior in automatic guise than the Brio. Build, ride, safety and comfort will also impress you. At the end of the day, the Micra is a reliable, uncomplicated Japanese product.

If you're adamant on sticking with the Brio, then yes going for those Dec manufactured ones at a good discount shouldn't be a bad idea
Honestly there aren't many Nissan vehicles close by or even in my friends circle to be able to form a conclusive opinion. Secondly the route I will be taking daily is a relatively isolated one. No human settlements on either side for most parts. It's the aravali jungles and lakes actually. So was a little afraid to take a gamble on Nissan. Maybe I should have a look.

I wasnt very impressed with the manual brio except only the preciseness of the steering even though it was light. That was the only thing I found better than my Ritz. The gear slotting was really very notch,terrible. Plus the famous low end lag. My Ritz can pick up from zero in second gear even on an incline. I am so used to that now. In brio I had to constantly downshift else it wouldn't move. Plus the interiors werent so great either. Was considering it only due to the automatic, reliability, discounts and safety features.

After a long discussion yesterday and today we decided to let this one pass. Not making a decision in a hurry. Will consider others too. And maybe if my hand gets better, manuals will be back in consideration.
Old 31st January 2015, 19:50   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have you looked at the Grand I10 AT ? With Hyundai service available, it should be a compelling proposition.
Old 31st January 2015, 22:29   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Have you looked at the Grand I10 AT ? With Hyundai service available, it should be a compelling proposition.

Lack of ABS and airbags is what removed the i10 from the running.
It offers those in MT ASTA O
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 09:40   #71
BHPian

Loop
Quote:
Thanks IshaanIan. I am getting treatment for it but it's a nerve impingement issue and won't be an easy one to sort out. Actually I myself am not much of an automatic fan having driven manuals for more than a decade but this health issue forced me to consider automatics.

Honestly there aren't many Nissan vehicles close by or even in my friends circle to be able to form a conclusive opinion. Secondly the route I will be taking daily is a relatively isolated one. No human settlements on either side for most parts. It's the aravali jungles and lakes actually. So was a little afraid to take a gamble on Nissan. Maybe I should have a look.

I wasnt very impressed with the manual brio except only the preciseness of the steering even though it was light. That was the only thing I found better than my Ritz. The gear slotting was really very notch,terrible. Plus the famous low end lag. My Ritz can pick up from zero in second gear even on an incline. I am so used to that now. In brio I had to constantly downshift else it wouldn't move. Plus the interiors werent so great either. Was considering it only due to the automatic, reliability, discounts and safety features.

After a long discussion yesterday and today we decided to let this one pass. Not making a decision in a hurry. Will consider others too. And maybe if my hand gets better, manuals will be back in consideration.
i10 Grand, Brio and Micra were the cars that we had zeroed in automatics. We drove all the cars and ultimately decided to go for Micra CVT. All these cars are very competent products.

I guess you should also do the same before discounting any car based only on perceptions.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 10:00   #72
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nissan Micra CVT or Honda Brio AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
i10 Grand, Brio and Micra were the cars that we had zeroed in automatics. We drove all the cars and ultimately decided to go for Micra CVT. All these cars are very competent products.

I guess you should also do the same before discounting any car based only on perceptions.
Even I would prefer the Micra CVT. A well rounded package with all the essential elements in place. But yes we do need to check the service aspect as well. If its mainly city usage, I think Nissan service should be decent.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 19:02   #73
BHPian

Don't know how i missed this thread, but better late than never.

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago, and finally ended up buying the BRIO VX AT, after booking, waiting and cancelling multiple cars. Here are my observations on Brio vs Micra :

1> Very slow throttle response in Micra, felt like if you press the accelerator today, the car would move tomorrow, totally unusable in city traffic. In comparison, the response in Brio is very fast.
2> Interior space in Micra is less than Brio. Rear seats had less legroom for my driving position. In comparison, there is adequate space in Brio although the boot space is compromised.
3> Ergonomics - Brio/Amaze offer the best ergonomics compared to almost all the cars available under 10L today, and are the easiest to drive.
3> Despite have a harder suspension, the ride quality felt better in Brio.

For the folks worried about re-sale value of ATs, check-out the used car market, all ATs(except Germans) are insanely priced, and command a huge premium over manual ones.
msmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 12:40   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Thanks ampere and H_Dogg. Lack of ABS and airbags was one of the reasons for excluding grand i10. Add to that the dealership guys never returned my repeated requests or calls for a test drive, even for a manual version. If they aren't interested in selling, god knows how responsive they will be after sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Loop

Quote:
Even I would prefer the Micra CVT. A well rounded package with all the essential elements in place. But yes we do need to check the service aspect as well. If its mainly city usage, I think Nissan service should be decent.
Thanks Rutvij & ampere. Yes we have decided to give atleast a test drive to the Micra before finalizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Don't know how i missed this thread, but better late than never.

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago, and finally ended up buying the BRIO VX AT, after booking, waiting and cancelling multiple cars. Here are my observations on Brio vs Micra :

1> Very slow throttle response in Micra, felt like if you press the accelerator today, the car would move tomorrow, totally unusable in city traffic. In comparison, the response in Brio is very fast.
2> Interior space in Micra is less than Brio. Rear seats had less legroom for my driving position. In comparison, there is adequate space in Brio although the boot space is compromised.
3> Ergonomics - Brio/Amaze offer the best ergonomics compared to almost all the cars available under 10L today, and are the easiest to drive.

For the folks worried about re-sale value of ATs, check-out the used car market, all ATs(except Germans) are insanely priced, and command a huge premium over manual ones.
Thanks msmatic for sharing your experience. I agree with point no. 2 and 4 you make. I have sat in a manual Micra - the first version and the ride was really bumpy at the rear seats. I haven't driven one though. Resale isn't an important factor for me atleast. My cars are kept for a decent period of time, atleast 6-7 years if not more. Plus, what I feel is, we buy a car for giving us comfort and safety. If it does that then its purpose is served. Resale value is highly overrated IMHO. Its like spending your whole life thinking of how to die easy and then cribbing that you never lived a life. I know many people may feel otherwise though.

Last edited by mandywanders : 4th February 2015 at 12:51. Reason: There was repetition at some places.
Old 4th February 2015, 20:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post

I found your statement that the Micra is unusable in city traffic, to be way off-base. I would deem it perfect for the city with its light steering, soft suspension and smooth CVT box. As far as interiors go, yes the Brio manages its interior space really well just like any Honda, but I'd forgive the Micra since its interiors reek of so much more quality. Interestingly, while the Brio in AT guise does feel a little peppier than even its manual counterpart, it is slower off the line and at city speeds than the Micra. The Brio does feel like the better driver's car and its firmer suspension does make it better on the highways, but the Micra has always felt like the best city runabout to me and that does chime with most people's observations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks