Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2014, 09:12   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamendangered View Post
4 - Carwale page suggesting that it has been discontinued
http://www.carwale.com/hyundai-cars/grandi10dieselat/
There were rumours that the Grand i10 would be coming out with a Diesel AT, however what really came out in the market was only the petrol AT.

Looks like Carwale information is not correct here.
Old 8th September 2014, 12:07   #47
BHPian

Hi

I have been waiting for this thread as while finalizing Grand i10 last week, it did strike me that how come I did not check the competition among Hyundai range of cars even though I did TD most of B and B+ segment hatchback before deciding.

My probables were chosen by the price range of 6.5-8.5 Lakhs Diesel Hatchbacks.

After reading this thread, my choice stands validated as Grand i10 gives most value for money.
Old 5th October 2014, 04:21   #48
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent

While the diesel engine has been the major differentiating factor among these siblings in India- it's interesting to note that the new i20 launched for Europe at the Paris Show comes with both the 1.1 74bhp and 1.4 89bhp variants, with the latter only on the higher variants.

Thanks to the Grand i10 and Xcent seriously breathing down its spine- we get the 1.4 diesel for all i20 variants in India.
Old 6th October 2014, 08:53   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks to the Grand i10 and Xcent seriously breathing down its spine- we get the 1.4 diesel for all i20 variants in India.
Do we have many Grand i10 Diesel ownership reviews on the forum? (Sorry if I may have missed them). It would be good see a perspective of a Grand i10 diesel purchase. Is it only the budget (which primarily would be the case) that made the owners go for it? If yes, why were'nt the other 1.3 Fiat diesel engine based products not considered (assuming similar ranges trims/budgets).

The one unique reason to go for the Grand i10 diesel which I can think off is the need for city car, where one has very high city-commute requirements (and may be occasional highways).
Old 6th October 2014, 09:29   #50
BHPian

One of the reasons people go for Grand i10 diesel motor is because of the upmarket interiors/looks and the plethora of features it has to offer. The 1.1 U2 Crdi engine is more on the linear side when it comes to power delivery unlike the 1.3 MJD engine where the turbo kick can be felt post 2k RPM. If given a choice b/w Swift and Grand i10, I need to assess my priorities first and then make a jump. Grand i10 is more suited for city commutes.
Old 7th October 2014, 09:39   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do we have many Grand i10 Diesel ownership reviews on the forum? (Sorry if I may have missed them). It would be good see a perspective of a Grand i10 diesel purchase. Is it only the budget (which primarily would be the case) that made the owners go for it? If yes, why were'nt the other 1.3 Fiat diesel engine based products not considered (assuming similar ranges trims/budgets).

The one unique reason to go for the Grand i10 diesel which I can think off is the need for city car, where one has very high city-commute requirements (and may be occasional highways).
I could dig up only one thread, but that car was purchased before the Xcent was launched. Surprisingly - we have more Xcent ownership threads on team bhp than for the relatively older Grand i10?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html
Old 7th October 2014, 09:43   #52
Team-BHP Support

Nice data point. Would be interesting to see how has the market evolved on this front by looking through the the monthly sales thread.

I think Grand i10 diesel would be for an urban nuclear family looking at a first car purchase who would see lots commute as their need (city or otherwise).
(Guys who may not look for boot). But again those are only theories. Need to substantiate with hard facts.

Any the fact is irrespective of all this Hynudai is winning from all sides by the same Maruti approach. "Confuse the buyer with options. What ever happens make sure he purchases a Hyundai product!"
Old 7th October 2014, 10:07   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need to substantiate with hard facts.
Here you go -

Looks like the 'boot' really took away sales from both the hatchbacks. Will be interesting to see how the Elite i20 plays its part here, over a long term.

Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent-untitled2.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 10:13   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Here you go -
Perfect! Now any way we can get this for diesel and petrol separately? I have a feeling, the split should not show anything new. The boot plays the bigger compared to Petrol or diesel (esp between the Xcent and GrandI10).
Old 8th October 2014, 00:26   #55
BHPian

Yes it does explain the fall in grand i10 numbers but I wouldn't totally attribute the fall in i20 numbers to the boot. It was pretty obvious that elite i20 was just round the corner and that would've explained the fall. Also the fact that new polo was released around that time and it would've stolen a few customers who were sitting on the fence. On a slightly different note there's absolutely no doubt that grandi10 stole potential i20 customers while it was released. Nevertheless good observation crazy driver.

Thanks
Sunny
Old 17th October 2014, 11:03   #56
BHPian

I am looking for a hatchback for my wife mainly for city run abouts and occasional highway trips (I have XUV for that). She has been driving a used i10 for the past 10 years and feels ready for an upgrade now. She wants something that looks premium and is also easy to drive.
Have shortlisted the following:

1) Grand i10: Most probably a petrol as 3 pot diesel feels like a disadvantage at this price point.
2) Elite i20: Probably a diesel as did not like the petrol motor in it.
3) VW polo 1.5 TDI: Again due to 3 cylinder petrol.

She really liked the looks and premiumness of i20 along with the features it offers but felt the seating to be very low (She has been driving an i10). Have to take a test drive yet though.

I suggested grand i 10 but she does not seem too interested in it however i find its petrol variant VFM.

She still has to have a look at VW polo (may be today)

Any suggestions on the choices?
Old 17th October 2014, 11:06   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Any suggestions on the choices?
If its only for city commute, I would say Grand i10. If you are looking at more frequent highway trips, then I20 because of space.

But I can see it would be mostly single person driven and that too for city. My pick would be Grand I10.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:12   #58
BHPian

Quote:
If its only for city commute, I would say Grand i10. If you are looking at more frequent highway trips, then I20 because of space.

But I can see it would be mostly single person driven and that too for city. My pick would be Grand I10.
Thanks for the quick response. EvEn i have been suggesting grand i10 to her but it doesnt seem to register in her mind (they are strange anyways)
She says that she does not want another i10 after driving an i10 for 2 years. this inspite of my telling her that the car is all new and does not resemble the older one either in looks, interiors or features. And whats in the name? but may be everything..
So at the present it seems more between diesel i20 and polo TDI. Will have to test drive both and then decide. STRANGE ARE THE WAYS OF WOMEN AND STRANGER ARE THEIR THOUGHTS
Old 17th October 2014, 11:16   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So at the present it seems more between diesel i20 and polo TDI. Will have to test drive both and then decide.
I would suggest; visit a showroom where she can see all three of them and then decide. Are you looking at diesel? If diesel, then I would tend to shift to I20.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 16:20   #60
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a hatchback for my wife mainly for city run abouts and occasional highway trips (I have XUV for that).

1) Grand i10: Most probably a petrol as 3 pot diesel feels like a disadvantage at this price point.
2) Elite i20: Probably a diesel as did not like the petrol motor in it.
3) VW polo 1.5 TDI: Again due to 3 cylinder petrol.

I suggested grand i 10 but she does not seem too interested in it however i find its petrol variant VFM.
Can you please your running and space requirements for the city hatch?

Petrol:
  • Hyundai Grand i10 is a brilliant city hatch. The engine is superb, got good amount of low end torque, which makes downshifts less frequent
  • Hyundai i20 is good, but it's extra weight makes the same petrol engine look bad. The best city hatch incase you need to transport five passengers often
Diesel:
  • Grand i10 diesel is a good buy too
  • Polo: Terrific diesel engine on offer. An awesome product, ASS has question marks over it
  • i20 diesel is the best buy. Has more than enough power unlike the petrol

Last edited by D4D : 17th October 2014 at 16:23.

Most Viewed