Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2014, 03:44   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent

Hello folks,

I am looking for a city car, creature comforts being most important . Was waiting for the launch of the all new elite i20, so started looking at the brochures

I made this sort of 3-in-1 brochure for all three cars viz.
Grand i10
Elite i20
Xcent

Basic idea for me is to find out which hyundai car is the best bang for buck, feature wise

I have excluded few parts of the brochure which were either confusing or irrelevant or omnipresent features

Hope it helps someone make a choice, I've been pretty confused

P.S : I am considering other options as well like the swift & zest, but have not included them in the comparison since, for me, they have a lot of other factors which make them ineligible for a direct comparison
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent-specs.png  

Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent-features-pg1.png  

Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent-features-pg2.png  

iamendangered is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 11:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent

Just my opinion :

1) Out of the three, Xcent is the best value for money. Reason is much better and use able boot space which might find heavy use for an individual travelling a lot with family.

2) New i20 and grand i10 have too much overlap, even in terms of feel, interior quality, etc. The gap between new i20 and Grand i10 is not as much as what was between i10 and i20.

3) Xcent, thanks to its overall positioning, makes the new i20 look overpriced. The only significant advantage new i20 has over grand i10 and Xcent is a bigger, better diesel. For petrol engine buyers, Xcent certainly adds up to better VFM package than i20.

4) Difference in safety could also be there. Grand i10 got 4/5 stars ( with airbags, not sure how many ). i20 has always been 5/5 star ( IMO with 6 airbags ). But the margin wont be much IMO if both are tested with equal number of airbags. This advantage of safety might be perceived or actual, but at the end of the day, Xcent in petrol format would be my personal choice over i20 or grand i10.

5) Interior width. i20 has more interior width, but again, dont dream of i20 as a capable 5 seater.

6) I also expect Grand i10 and Xcent parts and servicing to be cheaper than i20. Partly because of the volumes and also parts could be more readily available due to higher sales of vehicles.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th August 2014 at 11:09.
aaggoswami is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 12:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai - Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent (Petrol & Diesel)

Would like to quote my parents here, after they checked out the i20 elite yesterday-

1. "Car looks similar to Grand i10. Bit more spacious. Hatchback.".

2. "Seems a collage of various designs . Looks like some Mercedes and BMW designs stolen".

3. To answer my question of 'So, is it better than our Xcent?'- "No. Sedan is a sedan."

There is no defeating the typical Indian middle class mentality. A sedan, even a pseudo one like the Xcent holds more value to Indian hearts than a hatchback i20.

Hyundai should have done better with the i20, equipped it a lot better and should have placed it right in between Xcent and Verna. Now, with a price level comparable to the Xcent and with almost similar feature list - they have a hatchback which offers more space than the Xcent, but then the Xcent was never short of interior space to start with! Except for width, which even i20 seems only marginally better!

PS- Parents use the Xcent SX(o) AT. Diesel users might atleast find some solace in the 1.4L diesel used in the i20 as against the 3 cylinder diesel of the Xcent.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th August 2014 at 12:09.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 12:08   #4
BHPian

From the viewpoint of a prospective customer the critical issue to make a decision should be Petrol or Diesel?

If a prospective customer needs a petrol vehicle, IMO, he can safely eliminate the Elite i20.
Since, all the 3 vehicles (Grand, Xcent & i20) share the same engine (1.2 L Kappa) the i20 fails to make a strong case.

So, if the choice of engine is petrol one can safely select between Grand and Xcent depending upon space requirements.

If the vehicle will be primarily used for city purpose or by a small family, Grand is the best bet. You want safety, go for the Asta- O and you have a complete package - premium hatchback that is spacious, responsive to drive and that can put to shame cars costing more than a million bucks in terms of premium-ness and features. Oh and you end up saving around more than a lakh as compared to the Asta i20 elite.

If the car you are buying is the only car in the family (which would be used for regular highway runs), then the Xcent makes most sense with a sufficiently adequate boot space of 407 lits.

If you decide to opt for a diesel mill though, things change dramatically as the Elite i20 uses a responsive 1.4 l engine producing 90 bhp as compared to the 3 cylinder 1.1 l mill in the Grand and Xcent.
IMO, the elite i20 is worth the extra buck you spend for a more rounded diesel engine that is responsive to drive in the city and will not feel running out of breath on highways too.

My Pick:
Petrol: Grand i10 Asta (O) {or Xcent SX/ SX(O) if boot is needed}

Diesel: Elite i20 Sportz(O) or Asta

Enjoy the confusion
gaurav911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 12:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

If you need the power for the highway, no questions asked. Take the I20 diesel. If you are looking at petrols, then your confusion starts.

For that I think many have already answered:

- If you need the boot: No brainer.
- Between i10 and i20: Thats the confusing part. (And frankly I dont have answer! It goes with your budget and comfort)

Last edited by ampere : 16th August 2014 at 12:30.
Old 16th August 2014, 12:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai - Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent (Petrol & Diesel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
If you decide to opt for a diesel mill though, things change dramatically as the Elite i20 uses a responsive 1.4 l engine producing 90 bhp as compared to the 3 cylinder 1.1 l mill in the Grand and Xcent.

IMO, the elite i20 is worth the extra buck you spend for a more rounded diesel engine that is responsive to drive in the city and will not feel running out of breath on highways too.

My Pick:

Petrol: Grand i10 Asta (O) {or Xcent SX/ SX(O) if boot is needed}

Diesel: Elite i20 Sportz(O) or Asta

Enjoy the confusion

Things change dramatically only if you are a regular highway user.

The 1.1 diesel in the Xcent and Grand i10 is known for its drive ability, with almost nil turbo lag. This makes it easier to live with in daily traffic compared to the 1.4L CRDi in the i20 (Assuming it's still in the same state of tune as the earlier version).

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th August 2014 at 12:24.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 18:07   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I really liked the Elite I 20 picture in the ad.
My Dad who drives the just phased out I20 likes the looks of the Elite a lot. He said it reminded him of the Mini Cooper because of its rear Black C Pillar.
To me, its wraparound rear lamps and black C Pillar seemed like the stylists have taken a lot of inspiration from the RR Evoque as well.
He saw it in Advaith and said that if it is priced at 7.8 odd for the top end fully loaded one, it seems decent value. Apparently one difference he noted between his version and the new one is the seats seem to have better under thigh support.

Personally, I have a few grouses with this I20 in general.
If one wants to buy a petrol there is no option other than the hopelessly under powered 1.2 litre engine.
I do not like the fact that they haven't provided us with rear disc brakes.
They should have at least offered an option with more safety kit available.
I do not like the fact that they do not have the option of an Asta (O) like they did in the earlier version. There should be an AT and MT Asta (O) version for those who are keen on safety, power and a few more bells and whistles - basically the Euro spec vehicle!

One thing good about this car is that I believe it comes with 8 speakers instead of the more standard 4, in the earlier I20's...

Else, clearly, it seems like old wine in a visually enhanced, cosmetically nipped and tucked new bottle...

I think as long as us gullible, savings minded Indians keep placing greater importance on looks and cosmetics and "features", these manufacturers will keep fobbing us off with these cosmetically enhanced variants but will never provide us with the variants which really pack "substance" under their belts!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 18:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

With the Indianized 'Elite' version, Hyundai have taken themselves out of the 'premium' hatchback segment, at least in the eyes of the discerning buyer.

The car may have some added bling (which can easily be added after-market), but they've removed stuff (rear disc brakes, airbags from middle variants etc.) that probably made sense to a lot of people looking for a fully-loaded, non pseudo-sedan 'small' car. Their 90-PS 1.4 Diesel is also no match to the recently launched 1.5 TDI Polo (either performance or build quality wise), and the upcoming Jazz will only add to that disadvantage.

Hyundai may have made a mistake by 'Indianizing' the new i20. Time will tell.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 18:27   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
With the Indianized 'Elite' version, Hyundai have taken themselves out of the 'premium' hatchback segment, at least in the eyes of the discerning buyer.

The car may have some added bling (which can easily be added after-market), but they've removed stuff (rear disc brakes, airbags from middle variants etc.) that probably made sense to a lot of people looking for a fully-loaded, non pseudo-sedan 'small' car. Their 90-PS 1.4 Diesel is also no match to the recently launched 1.5 TDI Polo (either performance or build quality wise), and the upcoming Jazz will only add to that disadvantage.

Hyundai may have made a mistake by 'Indianizing' the new i20. Time will tell.
Sensible point of view.
At a time when many Indians are indeed aspiring to go "up" the value chain, even when they are buying a humble hatch, this move of Hyundai's in de-constructing their I20 through this Elite, may indeed prove to be an error of judgement.
Like you said, time will tell.
Old 16th August 2014, 18:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

The biggest is not having ABS/Airbags on AT versions. Thats one of the biggest slips which I can think off.They should have taken care of it, given the fact that many also now opt for the AT versions.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 18:38   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The biggest is not having ABS/Airbags on AT versions. Thats one of the biggest slips which I can think off.They should have taken care of it, given the fact that many also now opt for the AT versions.
Typical El Cheapo, "bean counter' mentality with zero care for consumers requirements.
Old 17th August 2014, 00:47   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions

But unlike the majority opinion, I am still in favor of the newly launched elite i20

Whats left is to go check it out and have a thorough test drive, I apologize if the opinion seems premature without having done that already
Old 18th August 2014, 08:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would pick the new i20. I think its a better option compared to the Xcent. The hatch is both wider and got a bigger wheelbase compared to the pseudo sedan. That mean, it should ride and drive better than the i10. Would wait for all full blown T-BHP review for confirmation of this though. The i20 also gets a better Diesel drive train, better wheels and lot more kit as well.

The main advantage for the Xcent is the boot volume. If one needs all 400 L, then look no further. But the boot space of the i20 is very usable with a low lip and minimal intrusion from the suspension components. So, all you may need is 285 L with a split.

The i10 fights back with its price tag and aesthetics. I think its a very smart looking car, the closest to a euro spec model when compared to its siblings.

All in all, good for the customers to have so many options from the same stable.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 08:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

The new I20 amongs the three Hyundai siblings is the best bet for the simple reason of ABS being offered as standard whereas for the other two its optional which means additional cost if one opts for it.

Since Xcent is a compact sedan, the boot space must be almost same as i20. Also the 1.4Crdi engines of i20 cant be compared with the puny 1.1 crdi engine of other two.
Old 18th August 2014, 08:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamendangered View Post
But unlike the majority opinion, I am still in favor of the newly launched elite i20
Looks like its surely worth it! See Vid's review.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3507455
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks