Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2006, 21:07   #61
BHPian

Finally, got my Formula Red Palio 1.6 today. Finsihed the pooja today and it is ready to go from tomorrow. Thanks a lot for all the guys who helped me decide on this beauty. I am very happy with car.

Well, for a start the trip meter is not functioning. But that's ok, will take it up at the first service. Rest all seems to be fine. Will post more details soon.

fight_club, when are you taking the delivery?
Old 16th October 2006, 23:55   #62
BHPian

About the trip meter

If you do not miss the trip meter much I suggest you wait till the week before the warranty gets over as I feel removing the dash and refitting is one of the jobs that the engineers are real clumsy at. I have a persistent small rattle in my Palio 1.6 but the service center fellows themselves said to ignore it rather than open the dash up. The service guys told me that the AC evaporator would anyway have to be cleaned after 2 years and that should be the time that the offending metal noise should be attended to. I have listened to them and have not a faced a single problem with my car from 30 July 2003. Bye and wear your seatbelts when in your new mount or rather should I say any car.
Old 17th October 2006, 03:44   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Well, for a start the trip meter is not functioning. But that's ok, will take it up at the first service. Rest all seems to be fine. Will post more details soon.

fight_club, when are you taking the delivery?

seems like wednesday, hey windy delighted to know your is delivered, so those small niggles are true as per palio reputation, anyway keep us informed and post some pics asap, rock the world men happy ripping.
Old 17th October 2006, 14:43   #64
BHPian

What are the precautions i need to take for run in period? I could not see any details in the manual. Is it enough if i do not cross 3k rpm?
Old 17th October 2006, 14:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer
What are the precautions i need to take for run in period? I could not see any details in the manual. Is it enough if i do not cross 3k rpm?

That is generaaly the thumb rule. Also, it is a good idea to idle the car for 30 secs to 1 minute before moving after a cold start in the morning. that would enhance engine life since the oil would start flowing by the time you take off.
Old 17th October 2006, 15:05   #66
BHPian

Great car windsurfer. Enjoy. BTW, you don't really need the trip meter. I have had my car for over 4 years and have records of what places I visited and how many km I covered each day. My car does not have a trip meter.
Old 17th October 2006, 16:02   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
That is generaaly the thumb rule. Also, it is a good idea to idle the car for 30 secs to 1 minute before moving after a cold start in the morning. that would enhance engine life since the oil would start flowing by the time you take off.
Is the idling (for 30 secs) required only for the run in period or always. The reason you mentioned seems like you should be doing it always. And I thought it is only required for Turbo chargers.
Old 17th October 2006, 16:18   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer
Is the idling (for 30 secs) required only for the run in period or always. The reason you mentioned seems like you should be doing it always. And I thought it is only required for Turbo chargers.

its a good practice to do it always. the rationale is that when a car is parked overnight, the oil of teh engine gets collected in the sump and idling the car before take off ensures that teh oil starts flowing before teh revs rise. this ensures reduced wear of parts since friction between moving parts is reduced.

i always follow this principle on all my cars.
Old 17th October 2006, 16:25   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
its a good practice to do it always. the rationale is that when a car is parked overnight, the oil of teh engine gets collected in the sump and idling the car before take off ensures that teh oil starts flowing before teh revs rise. this ensures reduced wear of parts since friction between moving parts is reduced.

i always follow this principle on all my cars.
Himanshu, I feel this practice is not required in the new MPFI engines.
Also, I have not noticed any mention in the manual to do the same.
Old 19th October 2006, 15:47   #70
BHPian

hey Finney,it may not be mentioned in the manual.But its always better to let the juices start flowing before you really start playing with her ... er,the car I mean.
What Himanshu mentioned is not a thumb rule but is a good practice for longer engine life.I park my car near a wall so I keep a ear to all the sounds the engine makes when it wakes up from slumber.The car idles at 1200 rpm or so after cranking,I let it idle for a minute till the rpm falls to 900-1000.By that time I can actually hear the oil warming up and flowing through the engine.Its only then that I take off,but ever so slowly.
Small things to take care off,but I guess it will help in keeping your engine healthy
Old 19th October 2006, 15:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

Got your point Roms!!!
Old 19th October 2006, 18:33   #72
BHPian

Congratulations dude, I booked my 1.2ELX today Silver Frost today, getting a 70k cash discount + 5k worth of accessories + black tint + teflon coating....guess I got a good deal !!! Everyone has been against me buying this car, but I guess we FIAT lovers are a breed apart & i just couldn't seem to let anyone talk me out of it. One look at the FIAT badge on the bonnet & I said smiling to myself "you gonna me mine ". Took a test drive, engine is not as sluggish as I expected it to be, a/c worked amazingly well, ride quality is good, & Jay Vijay motors seem to know a thing or two about customer satisfaction.
Old 19th October 2006, 19:42   #73
BHPian

Update : Trip meter of my Palio has started working. Hurray.....!!!! Don't know how? But noticed that today morning. I did not use it yesterday. Still really stumped about it. will keep monitoring it and will let you know if it changes its mind.
Old 20th October 2006, 18:34   #74
BHPian

palio has arrived: got the delivery yesterday. went in the morning at fortune nerul, was told although registration is pending i can take the delivery can get the number next day, a look at the car and my enthusiam took severe beating, car was not polished left headlight was scratched, upholstry was not done. i quick chat with the manager and i was assured things would be taken care of. they delivered the car in the eveing headlight replaced. poliching done and man did it look awesome. numerous thread about this beauty has prepared me mentally that its bound to have few niggles and i found side indicators not working backseat gave a constant creaking sound. my wife got completly bowled over by here. i could see here glancing at it again and again. today replaced the tyres bridgestone turanja 75/65/14 and man ride has surely improved i . did not upsize it as i didnot want the ride and steering to become hard.
tata service is good atleast here in nerul they fixed both the niggles today and put the number plate. could not resist touching 100 yesterday night.
i will surely post some pics and first 1000 km impression soon. windy keep me updated about FE and in case want to go for tyres try the obove one.
happy divali and Id to all members keep rocking..

Last edited by fight_club : 20th October 2006 at 18:36.
Old 20th October 2006, 19:56   #75
BHPian

happy Diwali and congratulations fight club,
Well, you sure do sound happy and you've accepted that the car could have some niggling problems.
It may have small issues once its old enough to be cranky.This is a brand new Palio.How can these fools give you a car with faulty electricals. Do they expect you and your wife to give some Italian hand gestures if you need to take a turn? If I were you,I would'nt have spared those nuts at the dealership.
And this is not an isolated case.Windsurfer's trip meter works when it wants to and now you have issues too.There are similar cases on paliousersgroup too.Most new cars are having the same issues.While we are driving 3-4 year old cars without any such electrical faults.
The build quality of these cars has taken a beating with heavy localisation.Every new Palio seems to be having electrical issues.This never happened in the past.
A company that sells a handful of cars each month has enough time to build each piece to perfection.But is seems otherwise.
More than anything,its a dangerous proposition to drive without turn indicators

Last edited by roms : 20th October 2006 at 20:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks