Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 22:50   #1

Maruti Swift 1.3L vs VW Polo 1.5L *UPDATE- booked GT TDI*

Hi everyone,

So I'm looking to get my first car and I'm torn between the Swift Zdi and the Polo 1.5D TDI Highline. I need help from the experts at the best auto website on the planet.

What I want:
A car that is a hoot to drive and can seat 4 comfortably on medium-long drives. Safety is a major priority for me which is why the top end versions were chosen (although the Polo Comfortline comes with ABS/Airbags as well, the equipment levels take a major hit vs the Swift and in that case the Swift Zdi becomes a no-brainer).
Major (75%) use of the car is expected to be road trips during the weekends + 35% use in the city.

The price difference between the two comes to about 1.2L rupees including insurance, extended warranty and roadside assistance.

For the difference of 1.2L, here's what i get

1. 15PS extra power!
2. 40Nm extra torque and the acceleration capabilities that come with it
3. All four windows one touch up-down vs. driver side one touch down
4. Flippy key with window/boot controls
5. Tilt/Telescopic steering vs Tilt only
6. Rear parking sensors
7. Folding rear sear
8. Boot capacity
9. Leather wrapped steering wheel
10. Bluetooth for Phone and Audio streaming
11. Unlimited Kms warranty vs. 40k kms
12. Cornering fog lamps
13. Every third car on the road is a Swift

Missing/Negative:
1. EBD
2. Brake Assist
3. Turn indicators on OVRM
4. 4 speakers (Polo) vs 6 speakers (Swift)
5. Weird horn and lackluster center console on the new polo.

Neutral/Dont Know: (clarifications please?)
1. SOHC (Polo) vs DOHC (Swift)
2. McPherson Strut with Stabiliser Bar (Polo Front) vs McPherson Strut (Swift Front)
3. Semi-Independent Trailing Arm (Polo rear) vs Torsion Beam (Swift Rear)

Please help me choose what will be my dream car and I will be eternally grateful to all of you
kpamit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti Swift 1.3L vs VW Polo 1.5L *UPDATE- booked GT TDI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpamit View Post
Major (75%) use of the car is expected to be road trips during the weekends + 35% use in the city.
Why not the 1.6 GT then?

And please drive both. You will get a more clear picture.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A car that is a hoot to drive and can seat 4 comfortably on medium-long drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Why not the 1.6 GT then?
Since there is no budget restriction mentioned - I would also suggest the 1.5 GT TDi 105hp, or the older 1.6 GT TDi if the dealers have it in stock (Doubt it though!)

Incase you are not in a hurry, you might as well wait for the Swift 'sport' rumoured for this festive season. With that spy pic of a rear disk brake, I am hoping they might have a 90hp diesel motor in store for us! A 90hp swift can give a GT a run for its money at a much lower cost.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. McPherson Strut with Stabiliser Bar (Polo Front) vs McPherson Strut (Swift Front)
3. Semi-Independent Trailing Arm (Polo rear) vs Torsion Beam (Swift Rear)

Please help me choose what will be my dream car and I will be eternally grateful to all of you
1) Yes and 2 valve 1.5TDI and 4 valve 1.3MJD, but the 1.5TDI mill doesn't make anyone complain when it comes to power.

2) Both have Mcpherson strut suspension in the front with stabiliser bar.

3) Both have the same type suspension setup in the rear, just different names in the spec sheet.

Last edited by Sankar : 3rd September 2014 at 09:51.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:57   #5
BHPian

Hi kpamit,

these were 2 of the 8 options that i was considering. My reasons for going for the swift:
1) larger service network, good relative A.S.S. (after sale service )
2) 2 friends had horrible experience with VW. One with a polo, the other with jetta.
3) friend in the auto consulting business advised for the swift.
4) have a dzire, hought same family would be easier to look after & all (small lame reason)
5) better resale value

In case you're in a city where you have a service station, Polo is fine. But if you plan to travel, service in farther areas is a major issue. (not that todays cars break down often, but better to know if you have service available for peace of mind). Also, friends jetta was in the service station for 2 weeks for lack of small parts in noida. hence , polo was out for me.
P.S. is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

I've owned both (albeit Polo with 1.2 diesel engine) I'd summarize like this based on my experience:

Swift +ve
Fun to drive (better steering,gearbox,less bodyroll etc) refined DDIS engine
A better handler (my car has 195s tyres though)
Legroom at the back is better
Slightly smaller turning radius and length make it easier for urban driving, you actually feel the difference when parking,taking U turns
Great OEM ICE setup!
Better front seats
Clutch throw isn't as much as in Polo

Swift -ve
Awful build. Interior plastics or exterior sheet metal are no match to Polo
Tiny boot
Rear seat is more a bench
High in-cabin noise
Harsh ride relatively

Polo +ve
Great build quality. Everything on the inside feels one notch higher
More power & torque now
Far better urban ride quality,doesn't crash into potholes like Swift
Never read about rattle noise so far
Much better sound insulation
Adjustable intermittent swipe speeds!
I prefer Polo at high speeds over Swift
Much bigger boot

Polo -ve
Ordinary rear bench legroom. A 6 footer won't fit in rear seat behind me and i'm only 5'7"
No rear boot light or indicators on ORVM
Not as edgy as Swift,therefore some FTD factor is lost
Safe to say TCO will be higher compared to Swift
No EBD or adjustable seatbelts
Noisy even after new engine

My pick
Predominantly City driving with few highway trips-Swift
More on the Highway-Polo

Last edited by shashank.nk : 3rd September 2014 at 17:27.
shashank.nk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:24   #7
D4D
BHPian

Overall the Polo is a better choice. But see the ASS quality in your area before deciding.
Quote:
Hi everyone,

So I'm looking to get my first car and I'm torn between the Swift Zdi and the Polo 1.5D TDI Highline. I need help from the experts at the best auto website on the planet.

What I want:
A car that is a hoot to drive and can seat 4 comfortably on medium-long drives.
Neither Polo nor Swift are segment benchmarks when it comes to space. But the Polo is more spacious and has the bigger boot.

Quote:

I think it has a DOHC valve train. Will double check.

Last edited by D4D : 3rd September 2014 at 17:26.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Looking at your usage pattern, I would suggest go for the Polo. The bigger engine and better build will result in a relaxed and safe ride on the highways. IIRC, Polo is better on NCAP ratings as well.
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:30   #9

Thanks everyone for taking the time out to respond. You guys are the best!!

Quote:
Why not the 1.6 GT then?

And please drive both. You will get a more clear picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Since there is no budget restriction mentioned - I would also suggest the 1.5 GT TDi 105hp, or the older 1.6 GT TDi if the dealers have it in stock (Doubt it though!)

Incase you are not in a hurry, you might as well wait for the Swift 'sport' rumoured for this festive season. With that spy pic of a rear disk brake, I am hoping they might have a 90hp diesel motor in store for us! A 90hp swift can give a GT a run for its money at a much lower cost.
Apologies for leaving out my budget. Honestly the swift is already at my budget limit with the polo stretching it to the max and then some. But the german just looks so drop dead gorgeous with its clean lines and understated elegance. Very premium. A heart vs head battle.

At 9.5L OTR, the GT is impossibly out of budget and other than oodles of power, and handling, not much else AFAIK. If only they could give the handling of the GT twins on the regular polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
1) Yes and 2 valve 1.5TDI and 4 valve 1.3MJD, but the 1.5TDI mill doesn't make anyone complain when it comes to power.

2) Both have Mcpherson strut suspension in the front with stabiliser bar.

3) Both have the same type suspension setup in the rear, just different names in the spec sheet.
Oh. Thanks for clarifying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Hi kpamit,

these were 2 of the 8 options that i was considering. My reasons for going for the swift:
1) larger service network, good relative A.S.S. (after sale service )
2) 2 friends had horrible experience with VW. One with a polo, the other with jetta.
3) friend in the auto consulting business advised for the swift.
4) have a dzire, hought same family would be easier to look after & all (small lame reason)
5) better resale value

In case you're in a city where you have a service station, Polo is fine. But if you plan to travel, service in farther areas is a major issue. (not that todays cars break down often, but better to know if you have service available for peace of mind). Also, friends jetta was in the service station for 2 weeks for lack of small parts in noida. hence , polo was out for me.
This is my major concern with the polo and a possible deal breaker. VW group service is average at best and atrocious at worst. I have heard some good stories recently, but a couple of months of good news doesn't wipe out the years of bad. Old habits die hard and if parent VW takes its eyes off of the dealers for one second, that's when the kids get really naughty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I've owned both (albeit Polo with 1.2 diesel engine) I'd summarize like this based on my experience:

Swift +ve
Fun to drive (better steering,gearbox,less bodyroll etc) refined DDIS engine
A better handler (my car has 195s tyres though)
Legroom at the back is better
Slightly smaller turning radius and length make it easier for urban driving, you actually feel the difference when parking,taking U turns
Great OEM ICE setup!
Better front seats
Clutch throw isn't as much as in Polo

Swift -ve
Awful build. Interior plastics or exterior sheet metal are no match to Polo
Tiny boot
Rear seat is more a bench
High in-cabin noise
Harsh ride relatively

Polo +ve
Great build quality. Everything on the inside feels one notch higher
More power & torque now
Far better urban ride quality,doesn't crash into potholes like Swift
Never read about rattle noise so far
Much better sound insulation
Adjustable intermittent swipe speeds!
I prefer Polo at high speeds over Swift
Much bigger boot

Polo -ve
Ordinary rear bench legroom. A 6 footer won't fit in rear seat behind me and i'm only 5'7"
No rear boot light or indicators on ORVM
Not as edgy as Swift,therefore some FTD factor is lost
Safe to say TCO will be higher compared to Swift
No EBD or adjustable seatbelts
Noisy even after new engine

My pick
Predominantly City driving with few highway trips-Swift
More on the Highway-Polo
Thanks shashank for such a detailed response. Really puts things in perspective. If I'm being honest, while straight line acceleration and having the feeling of being pushed into the seat are great, it's the twisties the bring a big grin to my face.

I've driven the swift in ghat sections and really enjoyed the experience. The car just goes in the direction you point it in. No nonsense. No drama. Feels very planted.

TD's of the polo were in the city and I haven't had the opportunity to find out how the VW handles while corner carving, but I must say the steering is much better to hold than the swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Overall the Polo is a better choice. But see the ASS quality in your area before deciding.

Neither Polo nor Swift are segment benchmarks when it comes to space. But the Polo is more spacious and has the bigger boot.

I think it has a DOHC valve train. Will double check.
I'm based out of pune, so there are multiple options for both Maruti and VW service, although about how good they are, I don't really know.

I agree with the spaciousness of the polo, and compared to that the swift feels down right claustrophobic with the black interiors and the tiny windows. From a practicality standpoint, the polo is ahead with its bigger boot and fold able rear seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
Looking at your usage pattern, I would suggest go for the Polo. The bigger engine and better build will result in a relaxed and safe ride on the highways. IIRC, Polo is better on NCAP ratings as well.
Sheesh. Math fail. *Duh!*
-note to self: proof read all numbers before submitting post and try not to fail at simple addition.

While among the lower variants the polo comes out with better ratings (without airbags, the score is an automatic zero), at the top end, the crash worthiness of both are remarkably similar. (The swift and vento were given 4 stars each by ASEAN NCAP with 4 being the maximum if the vehicle does not have ESP).

Now all this might seem like me trying to justify a choice that's already been made, but my logical side just does not feel that the higher initial cost and overall cost of ownership of the polo is VFM enough.

But then the heart wants what the heart wants and I guess I'm trying to justify either choice enough to silence the other.
Old 4th September 2014, 09:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 1.6 TDi has been discontinued in the Polo? If yes,

I made one of my acquaintance buy one and had a high driving it. Exiting toll gates was fun. It wheel spinned for a couple of meters.

He has sold it in favor of the Terrano XV (GC issues)
Old 4th September 2014, 11:59   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 1.6 TDi has been discontinued in the Polo? If yes,
Yes. The current range -

• VW Polo 1.2 MPI – 1,198 cc 3-cyl engine with 75 PS (73.94 bhp) @ 5,400 rpm and 110 Nm of torque @ 3,750 rpm and 5MT. ARAI efficiency is at 16.47 km/l
  • VW Polo 1.5 TDI – 1,498 cc 4-cyl engine with 90 PS (88.73 bhp) @ 4,200 rpm and 230 Nm of torque between 1,500-2,500 rpm with 5MT. ARAI efficiency is at 20.14 km/l
  • VW Cross Polo – Identical to Polo 1.5 TDI
  • VW Polo GT TDI – 1,498 cc 4-cyl engine with 105 PS (103.52 bhp) @ 4,400 rpm and 250 Nm of torque between 1,500-2,500 rpm with 5MT. ARAI efficiency is at 19.91 km/l
  • VW Polo GT TSI – 1,197 cc 4-cyl engine with 105 PS (103.52 bhp) @ 5,000 rpm and 175 Nm of torque between 1,500-4,100 rpm with 7-DSG. ARAI efficiency is at 17.21 km/l

1.5 GT TDi is in an identical state of tune as the old 1.6 TDi, but it remains to be seen whether there will be any lag now thanks to the smaller unit at a higher tune. Also VW has not passed on the excise benefit to the consumers and the prices for the GT versions remain the same as before.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:05   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[*]VW Polo GT TDI – 1,498 cc 4-cyl engine with 105 PS (103.52 bhp) @ 4,400 rpm and 250 Nm of torque between 1,500-2,500 rpm with 5MT. ARAI efficiency is at 19.91 km/l
Just curious, but where did you get this information from? Esp. the ARAI efficiency part. Because VW is yet to update the details on their website for the new GT variants.
Old 4th September 2014, 12:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Just curious, but where did you get this information from? Esp. the ARAI efficiency part. Because VW is yet to update the details on their website for the new GT variants.
Here you go -
http://indianautosblog.com/2014/07/2...acelift-137252

Even I am wondering why VW is not updating the website properly. Dealers dont have much information either. My cousin has booked a GT TDi last month and the dealers really have no clue what to expect and when!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:57   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here you go -
http://indianautosblog.com/2014/07/2...acelift-137252

Even I am wondering why VW is not updating the website properly. Dealers dont have much information either. My cousin has booked a GT TDi last month and the dealers really have no clue what to expect and when!
Ok it is mentioned in the official press release from VW. Good to know!
Old 5th September 2014, 16:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I'm being honest, while straight line acceleration and having the feeling of being pushed into the seat are great, it's the twisties the bring a big grin to my face.

I've driven the swift in ghat sections and really enjoyed the experience. The car just goes in the direction you point it in. No nonsense. No drama. Feels very planted.

TD's of the polo were in the city and I haven't had the opportunity to find out how the VW handles while corner carving, but I must say the steering is much better to hold than the swift.
I don't know if the new steering has improved things,even if it has done so i'd still pick the Swift if you enjoy driving on twisties. Look no further than Swift with 195s tyres. I can assure you you'll be grinning ear to ear after every curve (can't say the same for your co-passengers though )
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks