Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 16:33   #16
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift 1.3L vs VW Polo 1.5L *UPDATE- booked GT TDI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I don't know if the new steering has improved things,even if it has done so i'd still pick the Swift if you enjoy driving on twisties. Look no further than Swift with 195s tyres. I can assure you you'll be grinning ear to ear after every curve (can't say the same for your co-passengers though )
Add a stage 1 remap to the 195 sections and you have a clear winner. I've had mine for exactly a year as of August and i can assure you the ZDi is a very well rounded package for the money. The only downside if you ask me is the sheer number of swifts on the road, you can feel proud as part of the tribe or try real hard to stand out

Last edited by GTO : 6th September 2014 at 10:23. Reason: Typos
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 19:13   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
The only downside if you ask me is the sheer number of swifts on the road, you can feel proud as part of teh tribe or try real hard to stand out

But there is an advantage too for the sheer number of the sales, repairing and spares are not an issue for long long time. Not that spares were an issue with Maruti.

More the number of cars on the road, more the running hence natural R&D goes n by customers who report problems as and when encountered so Maruti will rectify it.

More reliable the car gets IMO!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 19:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpamit View Post
Major (75%) use of the car is expected to be road trips during the weekends + 35% use in the city.
I hope you meant 75-25, right?
For your usage pattern, I would suggest you go for the Polo. The boot space of the Swift is dismal at best, for outstation trips. In a Swift, you have to pack really light or use the rear seats for luggage, which is not really advisable. Not to say that Swift is a bad car, but one should choose according to his/her priorities.
Regarding the number of service centres, I have owned a Hyundai, Ford and Mahindra and we have/had Tata, Maruti, Fiat and Renault cars in our family. I never felt that a particular brand's service is far better or worse than the other. I have taken my cars to difficult terrain and never felt that I should have taken a Maruti for the number of service stations. Also, I have not felt that the service costs of Maruti are lower. And I do not buy my car to sell it off from day one, so I don't usually think of resale value when I buy my car.
The point is, go and take the test drive of both the cars and see for yourself, as to which car strikes the chord. Go for the one you like; you cannot go wrong with either; both are really good cars. Others can tell you the pros and cons, but only you can decide which one is the best for you. Good luck.

Last edited by A350XWB : 5th September 2014 at 19:56.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 23:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Major (75%) use of the car is expected to be road trips during the weekends + 35% use in the city.
Firstly please understand, that you cannot go wrong here, either car you pick and it'll leave you grinning now or later, only way to do justice - keep driving, suddenly breakfast 500 kms away is a unplanned plan. These are among the best hatches so there is considerable overlap in strengths and each has a fan following.

Let me try to break it down:
City driving: I'd suggest Polo 1.5 Tdi, for better tuned low end response.

Drivability: VW knows to tune diesels to perform like a work horse.

Roads with lots of quick turns in succession: Whether these curves be in your neighborhood or open roads, you'd enjoy the Swift D.

Steering: Swift steering makes you drive - yes swift, Polo is light-light.

Gear Shifts: really can't remember if there is any difference.

E-way straight roads at good speeds: you don't want to consider other cars if you are in a Polo.

Long gradual curves and straights: Polo feels like it bites into the roads, composed.

Ownership costs, spares, support and service: I guess this is a no-brainer.

Looks: (subjective comment), I like Polo, classic.

Ride comfort: Polo, trust Germans to tune them, suspensions.

Handling: Swift gets you adventurous, depends whether you are tackling twisties in quick succession or is it gradual corners as Polo feels damn good here, I'd put them equals.

Space: Polo, visibly obvious.

Front seat comfort: I guess both are same, but I have liked the Swift seat, don't know why, maybe driver ergonomics or seat height or something.

Rear Seat: Both aren't great, but guess Swift is defeated here.

Interior & Exterior design: Both look nice & proportionate, depends on you.

Build & finish Quality: Aaah, too obvious.

What will you willingly push to the limit: Tricky to answer, but I think Swift cos even if you break something, you don't sweat.
Of course Polo feels like a vault in comparison, so keeps you confident, but Swift is that always eager, over revving, enthusiastic nature which is addictive too.

Features: You decide what you need, it should not be the deciding factor, but both are more or less even Stevens.

Brakes: Polo gets my points, couple that with the inherent safety feeling while driving it.

Boot: You already know it, so I leave it to your holiday bag sizes and packing.

Safety: Both are quite on an even keel.

FE: Being Diesel, the difference is insignificant.

Novelty: Swift naaah, too common.

Driving pleasure: You'd enjoy both, each distinct advantages.

Did I miss any other parameter, others could contribute and simplify. Hope this helps, and don't blame me if you pick the Polo. :-)
And don't worry I have a Fabia Tdi, shares common traits, and though it is not a power house, boy I love it.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 5th September 2014 at 23:51.
s_pphilip is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 00:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
.... and can seat 4 comfortably on medium-long drives.
Just wanted to emphasize, neither is kind to the rear benchers, avoid 5 like plague, occasional 5 for real short drives, okay wider Swift, but for 4, Swift literally takes the back seat, Polo just marginally pips it to the post in space.

If have have regular numbers jumping in, you may want to take some along to check comfort levels.
s_pphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 05:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:

The price difference between the two comes to about 1.2L rupees including insurance, extended warranty and roadside assistance.
I just wanted to ask how the OTR price has come to a 1.2L difference between the Swift Zdi and the Polo Highline. The last time I checked, the OTR in Bombay for the Zdi was 8.2Lakh and the Polo is about 8.7 Lakh. This is 50k, so perhaps you are adding too much stuff that VW dealer is throwing at you. Further, the insurance charged by VW dealers is expensive. My friend has just bought at highline with self insurance, saving approx 10k just on that. So please check the price difference and apologies if I have missed anything explaining this.

Secondly: Pick the Polo. It is a far superior built car. I have a Zdi and would have bought the Polo easily if it was available with the 1.5 two years ago. Forget the EBD and a few things here and there. The Polo, with extended warranty, should be the obvious option. The ride quality will simply blow you away in comparison.
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 10:26   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
City driving: I'd suggest Polo 1.5 Tdi, for better tuned low end response.

Drivability: VW knows to tune diesels to perform like a work horse.

Roads with lots of quick turns in succession: Whether these curves be in your neighborhood or open roads, you'd enjoy the Swift D.

Gear Shifts: really can't remember if there is any difference.

E-way straight roads at good speeds: you don't want to consider other cars if you are in a Polo.

Long gradual curves and straights: Polo feels like it bites into the roads, composed.

Ownership costs, spares, support and service: I guess this is a no-brainer.

Looks: (subjective comment), I like Polo, classic.

Ride comfort: Polo, trust Germans to tune them, suspensions.

Handling: Swift gets you adventurous, depends whether you are tackling twisties in quick succession or is it gradual corners as Polo feels damn good here, I'd put them equals.

Space: Polo, visibly obvious.

Front seat comfort: I guess both are same, but I have liked the Swift seat, don't know why, maybe driver ergonomics or seat height or something.

Rear Seat: Both aren't great, but guess Swift is defeated here.

Interior & Exterior design: Both look nice & proportionate, depends on you.

Build & finish Quality: Aaah, too obvious.

What will you willingly push to the limit: Tricky to answer, but I think Swift cos even if you break something, you don't sweat.
Of course Polo feels like a vault in comparison, so keeps you confident, but Swift is that always eager, over revving, enthusiastic nature which is addictive too.

Features: You decide what you need, it should not be the deciding factor, but both are more or less even Stevens.

Brakes: Polo gets my points, couple that with the inherent safety feeling while driving it.

Boot: You already know it, so I leave it to your holiday bag sizes and packing.

Safety: Both are quite on an even keel.

FE: Being Diesel, the difference is insignificant.

Novelty: Swift naaah, too common.

Driving pleasure: You'd enjoy both, each distinct advantages.
Took a TD of the new Polo 1.5 TDi yesterday. Have to agree with above post, and quite a brilliant comparison here. Have to agree with most points, with only few personal observations added below -

Looks: Polo, new refreshed variant.

Space: Polo is quite cramped, only feels airy thanks to the beige interiors. I'd choose the Swift here.

Rear Seat: I loved the support Polo seats gave, although leg space is still at a premium!

What will you willingly push to the limit: Polo 1.5 TDi doesn't feel sporty at all. The turbo lag is next to nill and the torque at low rpms is excellent for traffic conditions, but once you get an open road - the midrange disappoints. If you expect the response of the old 1.6, you are looking at the wrong car. The mid-range is totally flat and you feel something lacking here. It didnt feel like a enjoyable tune to me.

The Swift on the other hand has a pronounced turbo lag, but is a delight once the turbo kicks in, urging you to push it more. I would choose the Swift here.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 11:32   #23
BHPian

We have a Swift ZXi. Seeing that you are planning for a diesel, I am not going into engine details.

Our main criteria was that the rear leg-room must be good for a 6-footer if another 6-footer is driving. Some of my observations after 2 years of ownership of Swift are:

Pros:
  • Good legroom for a 6-footer at the rear.
  • Good OEM Stereo.
  • Good front seat comfort ( I don't get back aches that I get after driving Alto or other such cars).
  • Feels planted on the road with pin-point steering.
  • And the fun-to-drive character as well.

Cons:
  • Abysmal boot space. Seeing that usage for weekends is 75%, you will be extremely disappointed. With three small and full backpacks the boot will be full. It frustrates me to no end.
  • Stock tires (MRF ZVTV) do not provide much road grip as I would like it to.
  • Glove compartment is small as well. Not roomy as in Etios Liva. With a tool-box and a manual, it is full.
  • Compared to Polo/Vento it lacks a 'solid' feel.
  • The rear suspension set-up is a tad bit stiffer. The rear occupants will have a bumpy ride in bad roads.
Auswechseln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 12:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Considering I have driven both ( yes the 1.5 Diesel too) and I own a 1 lakh km running Swift and a friend of mine owns a Polo ( Not the 1.5, but the 1.3 diesel) let me make a comparison.

The Fun to Drive factor is paramount in the Swift, its like a small race car let lose on the highways. You will want to keep changing lanes, overtaking, going over corners, pushing it to the limit and be smiling like mental whenever you do this as you'll never want to stop. With the Polo, its more like 'Does the job', of course in a straightline over a 2 km stretch the Polo will inch forward than the Swift as there is little more power, but even in losing you ll be having fun while the other guy will be checking out the clock as to how he won by a second or two.

A Polo on a twisty road is not as much fun as the Swift.

Build Quality, Well, Polo is a German Tank and Swift is not really a tank as compared to a Polo, but it does the job kinds.

After sales service, Maruti is GOD. Spares, prices of Spares, all in super cheap territory.

To give you an idea. A pair of struts assemblies ( Includes Bushes and springs) will cost you 5400 rupees. IMAGINE. THAT IS DIRT cheap.

Lower arms are 2600 a pair, Brake discs are 2500 a pair, Brake Pads are 1300 rupees a set. Life can't get much more cheaper than this.

Go for the Swift Zdi !
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 13:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Spares, prices of Spares, all in super cheap territory.
How did you know that? Please mind sharing some comparison data for educating us. AFAIK the price of components you posted is almost same in case of Polo as well according to what I read on the forum. I hope overall you are comparing a Polo's running cost with a Swift, not with running cost of a 800 or Alto.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 7th September 2014 at 13:15.
Old 7th September 2014, 13:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
In hindsight I realized the above comment was pretty vague, thought it may help to elaborate, I personally prefer the Punto or Figo steering, would love it in every hatch, but there is inherent heaviness at slow speed, which though is not discomforting, depends on what you are used to, more so in Punto if you are driving slow, having to wriggle through crawling traffic and your alternate car is Hyundai, you arms may beg for mercy.

Swift on the other hand is lighter, but has that instant accurate feedback and weighs nicely with speed, whereas Polo assistance constantly stays light.
Now here is the thing, once you get used to the Polo steering you get the confidence as this one too is accurate and is not super light or dead as Wagon R or i10.

Apart from the price difference I'd suggest the Polo, of course you don't get that pushed into the seat feeling as the turbo is not pronounced, but look at the speedo and you won't realize the speeds you are doing confidently.

Swift does not mask speeds as well as Polo, so you get that I-AM-F-A-S-T feeling.
90% of your job is done, you have picked the best 2 out there, just go with what your heart connects with after the test drive.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 7th September 2014 at 13:31.
Old 7th September 2014, 13:52   #27
BHPian

First of all, these are 2 of the best in the segment. Narrowing down from here can get real tricky !!

You already have a truckload of posts on your thread about + & - of both, so I'm not gonna dwell on that any further. My only advise, go with what pulls at your heartstrings. If I were you, the new Polo would probably have a better pull at my heartstrings & make the cut.

In any case, you cannot go wrong between these two awesome cars. Good luck & godspeed
Old 7th September 2014, 13:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I don't know if the new steering has improved things,even if it has done so i'd still pick the Swift if you enjoy driving on twisties. Look no further than Swift with 195s tyres. I can assure you you'll be grinning ear to ear after every curve (can't say the same for your co-passengers though )
Not many FTD cars in this price bracket are fun to ride as well IMO. My passengers are going to just have to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Add a stage 1 remap to the 195 sections and you have a clear winner. I've had mine for exactly a year as of August and i can assure you the ZDi is a very well rounded package for the money. The only downside if you ask me is the sheer number of swifts on the road, you can feel proud as part of the tribe or try real hard to stand out

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

But there is an advantage too for the sheer number of the sales, repairing and spares are not an issue for long long time. Not that spares were an issue with Maruti.

More the number of cars on the road, more the running hence natural R&D goes n by customers who report problems as and when encountered so Maruti will rectify it.

More reliable the car gets IMO!

Anurag.
I don't mind being part of the herd. Heck, I could probably pick up one of the less seen colors, spend the difference in price on accessories and performance enhancement and I'd stand apart if that was the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I hope you meant 75-25, right?
For your usage pattern, I would suggest you go for the Polo. The boot space of the Swift is dismal at best, for outstation trips. In a Swift, you have to pack really light or use the rear seats for luggage, which is not really advisable. Not to say that Swift is a bad car, but one should choose according to his/her priorities.

Go for the one you like; you cannot go wrong with either; both are really good cars. Others can tell you the pros and cons, but only you can decide which one is the best for you. Good luck.
Well, it was supposed to be 65-35.
I am with you in saying that the swift has horrible space management issues. But that being said, I am currently single and weekend trips are usually with friends. Marriage is about a year and a half away (parents!! shadi karle beta, time ho gaya). In either case, luggage levels are expected to be light atleast for the next 5 years.

Quote:
Firstly please understand, that you cannot go wrong here, either car you pick and it'll leave you grinning now or later, only way to do justice - keep driving, suddenly breakfast 500 kms away is a unplanned plan. These are among the best hatches so there is considerable overlap in strengths and each has a fan following.

Let me try to break it down:
City driving: I'd suggest

Did I miss any other parameter, others could contribute and simplify. Hope this helps, and don't blame me if you pick the Polo. :-)
And don't worry I have a Fabia Tdi, shares common traits, and though it is not a power house, boy I love it.

Quote:
Just wanted to emphasize, neither is kind to the rear benchers, avoid 5 like plague, occasional 5 for real short drives, okay wider Swift, but for 4, Swift literally takes the back seat, Polo just marginally pips it to the post in space.

If have have regular numbers jumping in, you may want to take some along to check comfort levels.
Thanks pphilip. Went through every line of your post and compared the two cars in my mind with what I want. The results were surprising. Conclusions at the bottom.

Also, most of the time, our plans are made in 5 minutes and out of the door in 10. So I'll not be able to predict the group composition, but at ~23-27 years old, most of my passengers are quite accommodating and not very fussy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
I just wanted to ask how the OTR price has come to a 1.2L difference between the Swift Zdi and the Polo Highline. The last time I checked, the OTR in Bombay for the Zdi was 8.2Lakh and the Polo is about 8.7 Lakh. This is 50k, so perhaps you are adding too much stuff that VW dealer is throwing at you. Further, the insurance charged by VW dealers is expensive. My friend has just bought at highline with self insurance, saving approx 10k just on that. So please check the price difference and apologies if I have missed anything explaining this.

Secondly: Pick the Polo. It is a far superior built car. I have a Zdi and would have bought the Polo easily if it was available with the 1.5 two years ago. Forget the EBD and a few things here and there. The Polo, with extended warranty, should be the obvious option. The ride quality will simply blow you away in comparison.
The dealer quotes are 7.67L for the swift (after discounts + insurance + extended warranty + he's promised discounts on accessories which haven't been factored here) and 8.59L + 15k extended warranty + ~5k roadside assistance (I dont remember the exact amount. Price breakdown at office.) + no discounts since it's just been released.

TL;DR
Swift - 6.7L Ex + 25k Ins + 79k reg + 9k EW - 16.5k discount = 7.67L
Polo - 8.59L Ex/Ins/reg + 15k EW + 5k road asst = 8.79L

I'm not a 100% sure about the road side assistance figure, but the other numbers are correct (a couple hundreds rounded off here and there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Took a TD of the new Polo 1.5 TDi yesterday. Have to agree with above post, and quite a brilliant comparison here. Have to agree with most points, with only few personal observations added below -

Looks: Polo, new refreshed variant.

Space: Polo is quite cramped, only feels airy thanks to the beige interiors. I'd choose the Swift here.

Rear Seat: I loved the support Polo seats gave, although leg space is still at a premium!

What will you willingly push to the limit: Polo 1.5 TDi doesn't feel sporty at all. The turbo lag is next to nill and the torque at low rpms is excellent for traffic conditions, but once you get an open road - the midrange disappoints. If you expect the response of the old 1.6, you are looking at the wrong car. The mid-range is totally flat and you feel something lacking here. It didnt feel like a enjoyable tune to me.

The Swift on the other hand has a pronounced turbo lag, but is a delight once the turbo kicks in, urging you to push it more. I would choose the Swift here.
The polo at city speeds seems like it would be bliss to drive. I only had to take my foot off the clutch without any throttle and the car would already be crawling and that light steering wheel is great to hold.

But that swift's response. So visceral. The muted thrum of the engine filtering through to the cabin when the music's off and you have your foot against the floorboards. You can almost hear it sing with the ups and downs of the gas pedal.

Compared to that, the polo's mill sounded unrefined and gruff when stressed (altho leagues ahead of the old 3 pot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
We have a Swift ZXi. Seeing that you are planning for a diesel, I am not going into engine details.

Our main criteria was that the rear leg-room must be good for a 6-footer if another 6-footer is driving. Some of my observations after 2 years of ownership of Swift are:

Pros:
  • Good legroom for a 6-footer at the rear.
  • Good OEM Stereo.
  • Good front seat comfort ( I don't get back aches that I get after driving Alto or other such cars).
  • Feels planted on the road with pin-point steering.
  • And the fun-to-drive character as well.

Cons:
  • Abysmal boot space. Seeing that usage for weekends is 75%, you will be extremely disappointed. With three small and full backpacks the boot will be full. It frustrates me to no end.
  • Stock tires (MRF ZVTV) do not provide much road grip as I would like it to.
  • Glove compartment is small as well. Not roomy as in Etios Liva. With a tool-box and a manual, it is full.
  • Compared to Polo/Vento it lacks a 'solid' feel.
  • The rear suspension set-up is a tad bit stiffer. The rear occupants will have a bumpy ride in bad roads.

At around 5.7" I'm average and shouldn't eat into my passengers leg room in either car. The other pro's and cons are exactly what I'd say about the swift too.

Well, after reading all those replies, many of them more than once to not miss any grains of knowledge, discussions with family and looking at the reality of what i really need, I've decided to take the plunge and book a torque blue swift zdi.

The head won out in the end. A car i can have fun with in my jawaani but one I will eventually have to replace with a more sensible option in future. Lower initial and operating costs + better resale won out in the end.

While the polo is an excellent car, it just doesn't tick all the acceptable boxes at this stage. But VW have a solid direction with the design of their cars and maybe I will revisit owning one for my next vehicle.

But I guess I'm not going to be disappointed or feel that I was forced to choose the inferior option thanks to everyone here. Now with the hard part out of the way, the hardest thing to do while buying a car awaits. The wait!!
kpamit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 15:44   #29
BHPian

Hello to all...even I am suffering from the same dilema at present guys. Even I am extremely confused between the swift and polo 1.5. What is putting me off the polo is the considerably high service costs involving the polo.
Old 7th September 2014, 19:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on your risk appetite. If you want to play extremely safe, go with Swift.
But if you are OK with a reasonable risk there is no looking beyond Polo.

After you get bored with stock power, the Polo has greater potential for mods.

Personally, I would select the Polo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks