Team-BHP - Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/155046-hyundai-elite-i20-vs-other-b-segment-hatchbacks-2.html)

Elite i20 all the way, this gen is much more than jack of all trades. After driving relatively noisy and harsh engines in both my cars, I've come to the conclusion that NVH will definitely be a deciding factor while buying my next car.

Even though Cruze's performance always brings a smile on my face, but that harsh and loud engine note is downright irritating. I test drove Jetta the other day and realised what I was missing. It was so smooth and so quiet, the engine was adequately punchy too.

Similarly i20 packs enough punch to satisfy me on the highway. The new car is much stable and handles better than its predecessor. Its no comparison to the Punto or the Polo in handling department, but those superb looks, well finished interiors, all those features make a much more tempting and exciting package than the others.

It was always a choice between Punto, Polo and Swift for me. The old i20 didn't make the cut, elite doesn't either. I have a Punto with me, but I voted for the Polo here. If I had the money it would be the GT TSI I would buy today in the hatchback segment- elite or otherwise.

So as things stand today for me, GT TSI is the Hatch to have if you got the Moolah.

FIAT!! Plonk that Tjet onto the Punto, and Maruti give swift the 90 hp DDIS. Its Game on then!

Sorry for the elite i20. Never liked the feather light Hyundai steering or the soft suspension. No offense.

If I wanted a diesel, it would be a very, very tough choice between the i20 & Polo (104 BHP variant). The i20 feels like a complete all-rounded hatchback that is just so well built. The quality is astonishingly good! The engine is refined & powerful, and Hyundai has made great strides in the ride & handling department. On the other hand, the Polo 104 BHP diesel should be a stonking performer (if the older 1.6L GT TDI is anything to go by). At the end, it would come down to whether it was only me driving the car (then, Polo GT TDI) or it was going to be used by the family too (then, the i20 diesel).

WRT petrols, I'd pick the Liva 1.5 TRD with my eyes shut. Super engine, excellent driveability and very fast on the open road. The space is awesome, ride comfortable and handling neutral. The Polo GT TSI is sweet too, but it isn't available with an MT. Given an option, I'll always pick an MT over AT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3524828)
If I wanted a diesel, it would be a very, very tough choice between the i20 & Polo (104 BHP variant). The i20 feels like a complete all-rounded hatchback that is just so well built. The quality is astonishingly good! The engine is refined & powerful, and Hyundai has made great strides in the ride & handling department. On the other hand, the Polo 104 BHP diesel should be a stonking performer (if the older 1.6L GT TDI is anything to go by). At the end, it would come down to whether it was only me driving the car (then, Polo GT TDI) or it was going to be used by the family too (then, the i20 diesel).

Couldn't have put it any better. The i20 CRDI is an astonishing package if you take into account the rich feature set, super silent cabin for a diesel vehicle with awesome noise insulation on the whole and is an extremely spacious car especially in the rear seat.

Polo GT TDI would definitely be the drivers dream all thanks to that stonker of an engine and keeping in mind the FTD factor. But having said that, IMHO the Polo has a cramped rear seat which is a single most important criteria for me to not consider the car especially if its to be used for a small family.

If its a Petrol vehicle - Swift ZXI anyday for me!

Cheers

The title reads "Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks". So why is the Micra/Pulse a forgotten entity? If it is an enthusiast's car, I wonder why is the U-VA and Vista featuring here? If it is premium, isn't the Micra more premium than the Liva at least. And if it is sales, the sisters sell more than the U-VA and Punto. It would be better to either amend the title accordingly or please add the Micra/Pulse sisters too to the comparo.

P.S: I guess it is the B-2 segment or else we'll have to add more cars.

It was tough deciding between the Polo and Swift, but went with Polo for the overall quality and the brilliant petrol and diesel options it offers over Swift. Swift isn't a bad car at all,but just falls short of 'premium-ness' IMO

Both engine options,1.2 tsi or the GT 1.5 tdi (assuming its like the 1.6tdi) are fun to drive,reasonably efficient mated to good gearboxes and suspension is better than on the i20,which I feel is a better choice if its the only car at home.

A big BOOO and shame on you Hyundai for deleting side airbags and disc brakes. On the bright side, thanks for making it easier for me to rule out the i20. Now I only have to decide between the swift, polo and punto in that order.

@GTO, would you still call the polos' engine (diesel at least) commuter?

BTW, it is my personal theory that the Polo with it's kind of apparent quality, engineering and fit/finish probably costs more to produce than the price at which it is sold. And difference is made up through high (recurring) service costs. I only wish the VWs did not have such a bad reputation for reliability in my mind. Which is what makes it so tough to choose the polo. So for now I'm sticking with the tried and tested Swift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by isiv (Post 3525106)

BTW, it is my personal theory that the Polo with it's kind of apparent quality, engineering and fit/finish probably costs more to produce than the price at which it is sold. And difference is made up through high (recurring) service costs. I only wish the VWs did not have such a bad reputation for reliability in my mind. Which is what makes it so tough to choose the polo. So for now I'm sticking with the tried and tested Swift.

As far as the previous gen Polo is concerned the normal servicing charges are at par with that of Swift/I20. The average service cost for the first three service is around 10,000-11,000. And remember there is only one service in a year. But when some parts go kaput, the replacement cost is slightly higher for Polo.

Personally I would not take the difference as a deal breaker since you are getting a car that will put smile on your face everytime you drive it through out the year unless ofcourse you are unlucky enough to go through a bad aftersales experience.

1) Polo
2) Punto
3) Swift (this could have gone up the list for me, had it not the most common vehicle on road)

Hyundai knows what and where to invest on according to the market. Had it not for the "getting spoilt" feeling it gives in the cockpit (bells & whistles & ribbons & buttons & ...) and cosmetic (fluidic etc.), Hyundai would have done what Chevy is doing today.

Guys i am no Hyundai fanboy here, infact i have been a Maruti guy all alongstupid:, but i don't think its fair to dislike the i20 because its not available with side airbags because even the now discontinued iGEN i20 only had the option of Side Airbags and Sunroof only in the ASTA (O) Variant which anyway was available only with the 1.2L Kappa Petrol Car. The CRDI and 1.4AT versions of the iGEN i20 never had 6 airbags even as an option IIRC. I agree rear disc brakes have been deleted now and that is something that they should have not done. But then the 6 airbag ASTA (O) hardly sold in double digit figures (i am told by a good friend working in Hyundai) for it to be feasible for Hyundai to even manufacture the said model.

To me its plain and simple, Hyundai gave the market its first and only hatch with features like Sunroof and 6 Airbags in the iGen i20, but then it was pricier by a good 60-70k and the indian market didn't accept it well enough for them to sustain manufacturing the same variant full of awesome safety features. Heck other brands in the hatchback space haven't even ever offered 6 airbags but then why single out Hyundai for the same beats me!

Maruti sells the Swift with dual Airbags and ABS only in the top spec ZXi/ZDi, they sell the lesser variants without even a single airbag. Hyundai offers a drivers side airbag and ABS in the lesser Sportz and Sportz (O) varaints as well. Dual Airbags in the top of the line ASTA varaint. Soo atleast you are not forced to buy the top spec car in this case to have some decent amount of safety kit.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by isiv (Post 3525106)

Company cannot be making too much money from service costs, to sell a mass-market car like the Polo at a loss!

At max, you can say that the dealer margins for selling a Polo might be less, and they will be compensating for it from the higher service costs.

I'd pick Polo-DSG combo for personal consumption.

Punto though I love it too much, they need to sort those gear ratio's, its illogical that Swift can do better with lesser power. If they can sort this, I mean just tune the existing engine, I may stall, can't say which side I'd sway, just sit on the fence.

If the family came into picture then it would be the i20 crdi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s_pphilip (Post 3525606)
I'd pick Polo-DSG combo for personal consumption.

Punto though I love it too much, they need to sort those gear ratio's, its illogical that Swift can do better with lesser power. If they can sort this, I mean just tune the existing engine, I may stall, can't say which side I'd sway, just sit on the fence.

If the family came into picture then it would be the i20 crdi.

Just noticed that you are from goa - but only one of your choice is a petrol. The other two are diesel hatches.

But coming to think of it - due to our diesel obsessed market, both Punto Evo and i20 are better off in their diesel versions. A TJet Evo (Gear ratios are sorted in the TJet) / 1.4 petrol i20 would have made it tougher for you to decide. :D

Different people, different priorities - If the car was to be self driven, the Swift ZXi, I might get tempted by the sweet 1.5 on the Liva, but sorry, it doesn't look half as good, especially the centrally placed console.

Diesel? For commutes inside city, errands, family traveling, maybe a Sail UV-A. For my own usage in diesel, the Polo 1.6 GT or maybe the new i20.

I would be confused between the Swift, Polo, Punto & i20 if I had to pick just one for all kinds of usage. Maybe an extensive drive in each to come to a conclusion.

Confused after reading this, else the GT would have been the winner

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3525421)

What will you willingly push to the limit: Polo 1.5 TDi doesn't feel sporty at all. The turbo lag is next to nill and the torque at low rpms is excellent for traffic conditions, but once you get an open road - the midrange disappoints. If you expect the response of the old 1.6, you are looking at the wrong car. The mid-range is totally flat and you feel something lacking here. It didnt feel like a enjoyable tune to me.

The Swift on the other hand has a pronounced turbo lag, but is a delight once the turbo kicks in, urging you to push it more. I would choose the Swift here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 3525632)
the Polo 1.6 GT

Confused after reading this, else the GT would have been the winner

That was the regular 1.5 TDi and not the GT. Infact, the new GT is not even available in the showrooms yet. I feel the engine has real potential. You can feel the torque right from low rpms thanks to it being a 1.5, a clear advantage over the 1.3 MJD cars. But after that, it felt restricted IMO. Anyways, i am taking another TD next week from another dealer.

But if its really restricted for the 90HP tune, the 105HP might be as explosive as the earlier 1.6 TDi. Waiting for a TD, or else my cousin's new GT TDi to be delivered, but god knows when!

My pick for this thread was the GT TDi (Without having driven the new one though!) till a Swift 90HP is launched.

PS - Its the 1.5 GT now. :(