Team-BHP - Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/155046-hyundai-elite-i20-vs-other-b-segment-hatchbacks-5.html)

Overdrive compares the Elite i20 against the VW Polo and the Maruti Suzuki Swift and declares it the 'most bang for the buck'. However, Polo remains 'way ahead' of the others when it comes to driving dynamics.

Swift really needs a good refresh here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEnXFdtf9zE

I am planning to buy a new car sometime this January, and am utterly confused between the new polo confortline and the elite i20 magna - both petrol variants. While the polo has always been my favorite the i20 elite seems promising. My requirement are mostly city driving with occasional road trips.I love the classy looks of the polo and am worried about the after sales. Hyundai have a good repute with after sales but the magna version does not come with abs, air bags and rear wipers. With the difference of around 20-30k between the two, this decision is being very tough, esp for my first new car. I have been driving a 16 year old zen which is still providing faithful service :) I am reading many reviews on the top end models and the diesel versions not not much on the mid and start variants. Your advice will surely be helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swangdi (Post 3569468)
I am planning to buy a new car sometime this January, and am utterly confused between the new polo confortline and the elite i20 magna - both petrol variants. While the polo has always been my favorite the i20 elite seems promising. My requirement are mostly city driving with occasional road trips.I love the classy looks of the polo and am worried about the after sales. Hyundai have a good repute with after sales but the magna version does not come with abs, air bags and rear wipers. With the difference of around 20-30k between the two, this decision is being very tough, esp for my first new car. I have been driving a 16 year old zen which is still providing faithful service :) I am reading many reviews on the top end models and the diesel versions not not much on the mid and start variants. Your advice will surely be helpful.

Hi Swangdi,

The classy looking Polo has been around since 2010 now without any substantial makeover. If you still consider its design timeless, then it is a nice car to own. The 3-cylinder petrol motor has adequate grunt for city commuting, however it is not as silent/ doesn't feel as refined as its competitors. One advantage the Polo has out here is the safety equipment which isn't available in the Magna variant of the Elite i20.

The Elite i20 on the other hand is one of the most striking looking hatchbacks available in India. Some may love the way it looks, some may not; but you can't ignore it. The interiors look and feel superb and can give cars from 2 segments above a complex. It is more spacious out of the two and service bills too won't be as high as the VW. Yes, it has a more refined engine but will feel grossly underpowered out on the highway.

The variants only differ in terms of features and added equipment. That said, the engine performance, ride and handling, etc. remain more or less unchanged. So even if you have read reviews of the top variants, expect the bare essentials of the car to remain the same across all variants.

Thank you for the prompt reply, it surely is helpful. But I guess my dilemma will only be cleared when I do a test drive :) the two cars are so alike I guess it only is a matter of preference at the end of the day. I was also reading somewhere else that the polo servicing isn't that expensive as it has been made to sound, something around 6-7k. Don't know how true that is. My zen still goes for servicing once in 6 months and the cost comes to about 2-3k per servicing.

The Zen is an ageless and beautiful car. The Polo has good build quality and offers better handling as compared to its competitors. As for the Elite i20, the 1.2 Kappa2 engine is more refined but handling is a bit compromised at high speeds. Plus Hyundai ASS and resale is better than VW.

If I was in your boat, I would have given the i20 sometime to prove itself on the road. This has two advantages: 1. You would come to know about the niggles/issues from the initial set of buyers 2. After sometime, discounts would start to pour in.

Hope this helps!

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidindica (Post 3545862)
So, its time for my cousin to upgrade from the two year old alto k10 in a few weeks time. The car has done only 7k kms, and will be given to his in laws to use it. Time to upgrade to a modern car now, it seems.

What we need is a good all rounded petrol car which is jack of all trades, master of none. And no compact sedans or marutis please.

I say go with the base variant of the Polo it comes with safety features and lacks Gizmos and Gadgets.

The reason is if the car is going to be kept for 10 years you should ideally look for something with less electronics/less chance of them going wrong and giving you trouble. A solid mechanically good car with safety features is better any day.

Quote:

I am planning to buy a new car sometime this January, and am utterly confused between the new polo confortline and the elite i20 magna - both petrol variants.

Why not look at the sportz variant of I20? It does come with ABS and driver side airbag(?) at least. I20 is a newer car and will have better resale and lesser headache to own when compared to a Polo. How much is the difference between a magna and a sportz? that may be something to consider.

I am looking for a new car and have already shortlisted i20 elite sportz and polo comfort line . I am looking for diesel model as my monthly usage would be more than 1200 kilometres. Although I am more inclined towards the polo after the test drives , previous trouble free ownership of my i10magna tends to tilt the favour towards the i20 . My budget is around 9 lacs in which the polo comfort line seems to be the safer car with the extra passenger side airbag . So can I expect a smooth ownership experience if I go ahead and book the polo .

My choice is Punto Evo.

Booked Punto Evo Diesel Active this Sunday and expecting delivery soon.

It was love at first site/drive.

Loved it for the reasons mentioned under "What you'll like:" on page-1 + the price tag lol:

My choices are as follows :

Petrol: Grandi10 Asta (o) or Swift Zxi

Diesel: Elite i20 Asta or Punto Evo Emotion 90 HP or Swift Zdi

Automatic: VW GTI

Most likely it will be a Hyundai I20 elite for me.
Reasons ?
1. Maruti Swift - It has become a bit too common . If I buy it out , it will be lost in sea of Swifts already on road.
2. VW Polo - Nearest Authorized Dealer & Service Station is 350 kms away .
3. Toyota Liva - Old school design.
4. Chevrolet Sail - Do you really want to buy a Sail ?
5. Tata Vista - I would rather buy a Zest rather than Tata Vista.
6. Fiat Punto Evo - This is dealer and service station specific . There is only one Fiat dealer in entire state . This is like monopoly thing and the Fiat customers in Himachal Pradesh are solely at mercy of this one dealer . No discounts , No freebies on new car .

Why Hyundai elite i20?
1. Excellent diesel engine.
2. Outstanding interiors.
3. Best equipment list.
4. A bit expensive but best service which is second only to Maruti.
5. Proven product.

Voted for the Hyundai. It is not a drivers car and I will make peace with it. Hyundai's are going from strength to strength. With every new car release, they are setting the benchmark on what a car should be.

Query is almost same like Soumen, i20 or Polo. However my drive is less - less than 500 km/month. So looking for petrol version. I am also watching for Honda Jazz launch (scheduled on 8th July). Automatic is not mandatory.

Let me know your views on the cars.

Also if there is any discounts being offered on any of them?

I went for Hyundai i20 Elite. I need good looks, space, decent power, hassle-free ownership car, and the Korean seems to do the job perfectly. If I had an option of Honda Jazz (iVTEC), would have opted that with my eyes closed.

I suggest, it is worth to wait for Honda Jazz. In my opinion (no offense to current owners of i20), Jazz trumps i20 Elite in many ways (features that matter to me) .

I have just prebooked a Honda Jazz V CVT version. Launch is on 8th July. I hope I can get delivery of my car immediately after launch. The Jazz is the only appealing automatic option in this segment.