Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Hyundai Elite i20 184 42.40%
Maruti Swift 34 7.83%
VW Polo 139 32.03%
Toyota Etios Liva 5 1.15%
Fiat Punto Evo 64 14.75%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 1 0.23%
Tata Vista 7 1.61%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 22:59   #91
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Mate, considering your budget is 9L OTR, you can rule out the i20 in the Asta trim. As of right now, with the price hikes and stuff, the Elite i20 Asta CRDi costs north of 9.5L on road.

Why don't you try the Figo? It's well made, good to drive and wont cost 9L OTR. The Swift is too old, and you've already had a Polo before.
That was exactly my thought. For Asta variant, I've a to strecth a bit as well but then Figo seems to be the best bet. Just few minutes back, I decided on the Figo (after torturing karan561 and watching is video review multiple times). A final test drive pending for the Figo which will be the deciding factor.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:28   #92
BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 and its sibling Active i20 are way overboard on their pricing. Dec 2014, Asta (D) OTR was 9.55 L in bangalore and now Asta (D) is close to 11.5 L. Although AVN has been added to the feature list, crossing the 1 million mark (and 0.15 million more now) for a hatchback seems to be fleecing the customers. Yes the Elite and Active do contribute to the snob factor amongst the hatchback owners but price doesn't seem justified. But the way market reacts, (with no dent to the sales volume of i20 models, even with baleno and several other competitive hatchbacks, polo and abarth in the market), market seems to be numb to the price rise.
Old 24th July 2016, 23:05   #93
BHPian

Why has Liva been missing so prominently here? Is it just the 'dated' looks? I look at the Power/BHP ratio, NCAP rating, cabin space and after-sales experience, and can't help but wonder why.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks-img_20160723_133140.jpg  

atrocious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 17:25   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Hyundai Elite i20 and its sibling Active i20 are way overboard on their pricing. Dec 2014, Asta (D) OTR was 9.55 L in bangalore and now Asta (D) is close to 11.5 L. Although AVN has been added to the feature list, crossing the 1 million mark (and 0.15 million more now) for a hatchback seems to be fleecing the customers. Yes the Elite and Active do contribute to the snob factor amongst the hatchback owners but price doesn't seem justified. But the way market reacts, (with no dent to the sales volume of i20 models, even with baleno and several other competitive hatchbacks, polo and abarth in the market), market seems to be numb to the price rise.
I do agree on the point of pricing where it is not only costlier than the competition mostly, but also the premium between petrol and diesel variants is high. But I politely disagree on the snob value part, more than snob value what we really gain is peace of mind. Hyundai interiors are comparable to germans, FIAT 93hp Punto / vento 1.6 is the closest in terms of power but they are equally costly and considering A.S.S aspect, you pay the premium. Also as mentioned in multiple threads, you also get better resale.
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 18:03   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I wanted a diesel, it would be a very, very tough choice between the i20 & Polo (104 BHP variant). The i20 feels like a complete all-rounded hatchback that is just so well built. The quality is astonishingly good! The engine is refined & powerful, and Hyundai has made great strides in the ride & handling department. On the other hand, the Polo 104 BHP diesel should be a stonking performer (if the older 1.6L GT TDI is anything to go by). At the end, it would come down to whether it was only me driving the car (then, Polo GT TDI) or it was going to be used by the family too (then, the i20 diesel).

WRT petrols, I'd pick the Liva 1.5 TRD with my eyes shut. Super engine, excellent driveability and very fast on the open road. The space is awesome, ride comfortable and handling neutral. The Polo GT TSI is sweet too, but it isn't available with an MT. Given an option, I'll always pick an MT over AT.

You mention the TRD for petrols. The 1.5 is only on the etios liva cross now. That too in the V variant and not on the VX variant. Price for cars I am considering -

Liva Cross 1.5V - 8.1L
Etios Plantinum 1.5VX - 7.85L
Honda Jazz 1.2VX - 7.81L
Hyundai Elite i20 1.2 Asta (O) - 7.61L
Hyundai Elite 120 1.3 Asta (O) - 9L
Tata Zest 1.2 XT - 6.66L
Tata Zest 1.3 XT - 7.85L

As you can see, I am looking at cars within this price range!

Tata Zest 1.3XT seems like the most value for money followed by Etios Platinum. But of course, the others come with their own features list etc.

Questions:
1. Is Elite i20 diesel worth the extra 1.2L over Zest diesel? I mean, is the quality and performance that much better?

2. Would etios cross 1.5L be worth the money in V trim when etios platimun is available for cheaper in VX (same engine!)?

3. Speaking only for petrol and within similar price range, which would you pick among Jazz, xcent, zest, i10, elite i20 and platinum etios? I included i10 because cost is same as zest!

Sorry for vague questions. In general, I read (mostly) only your posts on tbhp and wanted your general thoughts (because you are a man after my own heart...engine engine engine and that too MT! but this time its for dad)

Car for dad <300km running but occasional heavy use (once in 3 months) when us kids visit him.
Important to him are - quality, engine, a.s.s. and after long tough life, i would like him to treat himself to luxury enough car in his budget.
Old 14th March 2017, 23:13   #96
BHPian

VW Polo makes a lot more sense if you are not interested in buying the i20. Elite i20 only excels in terms of features that it offers. Looks are again personal preference. According to me, a Polo looks more better and ages more gracefully. Hyundai on the other hand has a bad habit of changing the looks from time to time. Also Polo is the most mod friendly car in India right now and we have seen the examples to support this statement on Team-BHP DIY's.

Plus you can always get features like reverse camera, central arm rest etc installed as OEM on very reasonable price (from Aliexpress etc) but you can't improve build quality afterwards. I will always advise to go for a safe car and not for gimmicks.
navdeep.rana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 15:17   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
VW Polo makes a lot more sense if you are not interested in buying the i20. Elite i20 only excels in terms of features that it offers.
Agree with you on the Polo's looks and it being mod friendly.
Pricing for both the hatches are similar too. What really put me off the Polo and in favor of the Elite i20 is the space + its pricing + its features. As compared to a Polo, the Elite comes across as a practical choice, even more so when the petrol variant is being considered.

Polo is seriously short on space at the rear and for someone looking at it as a family car, will find it hard to ignore.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 18:05   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Pricing for both the hatches are similar too. What really put me off the Polo and in favor of the Elite i20 is the space + its pricing + its features. As compared to a Polo, the Elite comes across as a practical choice, even more so when the petrol variant is being considered.

Polo is seriously short on space at the rear and for someone looking at it as a family car, will find it hard to ignore.
Yes you are not wrong. If you are buying a car for all of your family, that mean four or five people will be traveling most of the time, Elite i20 makes more sense then. Polo being focused on driver, has problem with rear leg room and​ I agree with you on this. Plus you get those rear AC vents on i20 although AC on Polo is powerful enough. Still that is something to consider.

If you travel alone most of the time and love to drive, then Polo is a strong option for you.
Old 15th March 2017, 18:17   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Polo according to me is more of a driver's car while Elite i20 is for a small family.
While I own an Elite i20 myself and have a Polo in the family too, I would always want to own a Polo any day. The only drawback"s" which I feel about the Polo/VW is the maintenance (including service) cost, which is "slightly" higher than the Elite, and its resale value. If you change your car every 3-4 years, Elite i20 is the preferable choice. Saying this after having owned a Vento, before the Elite, and selling it off in 2.5 years for ~half the price.

Rahul
Old 15th March 2017, 20:16   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Polo according to me is more of a driver's car while Elite i20 is for a small family.
While I own an Elite i20 myself and have a Polo in the family too, I would always want to own a Polo any day. The only drawback"s" which I feel about the Polo/VW is the maintenance (including service) cost, which is "slightly" higher than the Elite, and its resale value. If you change your car every 3-4 years, Elite i20 is the preferable choice. Saying this after having owned a Vento, before the Elite, and selling it off in 2.5 years for ~half the price.

Rahul
The second drawback of the Polo is lack of good & affordable petrol engine option.
The 1.2 3cyl does not hold a candle to the i20 sweet motor.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 07:56   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The second drawback of the Polo is lack of good & affordable petrol engine option.The 1.2 3cyl does not hold a candle to the i20 sweet motor.
Exactly the two points that stops most people from buying the Polo, including myself. Polo is a long car but the problem is most of the length is in the hood (it takes in every engine from 1.0-1.6 litres) and the backseat is surely, not ideal for people of an average height of 5"8-5'10", specially if the front passengers are also the same height, makes for a claustrophobic rear is all.

Anyone sticking to a hatchback is more times than not, restricted to a budget and its not wrong to expect maximum space and practicality within that budget. Polo needs a generation shift to the new MQB base for it to succeed, make the hood shorter, throw smaller engines into it (1.0 and 1.2 both turboed) and liberate maximum room for interior and specifically, rear).

Until then, cars like Jazz & i20 have no competition. Even a Nissan Micra is a bit more spacious due to good headroom.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 18:32   #102
Senior - BHPian

Let's wait for new swift and then go for this vote. I feel nothing beats swift's driveability, even i20 (I voted for i20 though here) but lack of rear leg room and boot space kills current swift.
ARAI mileage for swift is very good and of course service network is unbeatable for Maruti anytime.
Polo: not great on GC. My relative is scared to drive out of city due to big speed breakers around villages.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 8th April 2017 at 18:33.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 21:49   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Let's wait for new swift and then go for this vote.
Well this thread was started in 2014 when the Elite i20 was launched. When the new Swift comes, I am sure there would be a shoot out then also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks