Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Hyundai Elite i20 184 42.40%
Maruti Swift 34 7.83%
VW Polo 139 32.03%
Toyota Etios Liva 5 1.15%
Fiat Punto Evo 64 14.75%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 1 0.23%
Tata Vista 7 1.61%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2014, 17:13   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
As far as the previous gen Polo is concerned the normal servicing charges are at par with that of Swift/I20. The average service cost for the first three service is around 10,000-11,000. And remember there is only one service in a year. But when some parts go kaput, the replacement cost is slightly higher for Polo.

Personally I would not take the difference as a deal breaker since you are getting a car that will put smile on your face everytime you drive it through out the year unless ofcourse you are unlucky enough to go through a bad aftersales experience.
Agree completely on the service charges, marginally higher service charges or even 50% higher service charges should not be a deciding factor especially at this price point and given that service intervals are 15k vs 10k of Hyundai/Maruti.

I think the main worries about VW (which sometimes get expressed as 'service costs') are:
-Within warranty period: Reliability and the the hassle of rectifying niggles with the arrogant VW dealers and little or no response on escalation to VW
-After warranty period: Long-term reliability is suspect and any part failures are going to be extremely expensive
-The chance of getting a lemon and having the company not own up to it and rectify the issue are probably greatest with the VAG group (Skoda/VW/Audi) than with any other brand.

These are the worrying aspects that go through the mind of a typical buyer while considering VW.
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 20:03   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

The Swift is just too common and doesn't feel as well built as the other 2 here. The Zdi trim with the essential safety kit is quite overpriced as well.

The Figo still makes for a good buy at the price it sells at and the replacement next year should spice things up a little, although I'm not too sure it will retain the DNA of the current Fiesta chassis.
+1 to that.

My choice was for the VW Polo, simply because of its build quality, better ride and safety. Punto was next in line but i simply love the looks of the older Punto than that of the Evo.

Not that I dislike the Elite i20 even though it offers so much more value for money, superb interior quality,better space and good ASS, its simply the attraction to the Polo and safety features ( Elite i20's safety features are only on the top variant!),

Etios Liva - lot of respect for the Toyota brand and reliability, but in the hatchback segment not my favourite.
Old 7th September 2014, 21:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for Fiat Punto Eva for its sturdiness, looks, reliability, best engine in its class. If it was an SUV with same features I would have definitely looked at it, but currently I am looking for a 7 seater SUV. Hence for its all round capability I have voted for Punto.
Old 7th September 2014, 21:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for the Polo
For me, it is only between the Polo, Swift and Punto as i drive my cars myself and love good handling cars as i tend to drive fast. Am a Linea owner myself but the Punto is out due to the disappointing engine it has, may have the best ride/handling combo but the engine tuning and gearbox spoils the fun.

Swift is a great car as well as my friend owns one but the build quality is too tinny for my liking and the interior plastic quality is not upto the mark, it handles miles better than Polo but i found the ride too harsh for my taste.

Polo is the choice for me, excellent build, top notch interior quality, premium image now comes with most of the features, the 1.5 TDi is a gem (though the reduction in power is quite a lot compared to my Vento Tdi, still the engine is full of torque) and to top it all, the ride quality is plush, just butchers all the potholes in its way.
Old 8th September 2014, 00:15   #35
BHPian

The Swift is in 4th place?

, guess this really is an enthusiasts forum.

As you may have guessed, I did vote for the Swift. My reason's are, even though the VW Polo GT TDI and TSIs are absolutely amazing to drive, and the Fiat Punto Evo is the best handling hatchback available on sale today, both have absolutely rubbish after sales service. Reliability is behind the Swift as well (Fiat's are known for niggles, and the less said about DSGs, the better).

The i20 still isn't too fun to drive from a handling perspective (although owning a Verna 1.6 CRDI, I can attest to the rush Hyundai's diesel engines give).

The Swift is a pretty fun car, with peppy engines and decent handling characteristics. It's the ideal balance between practicality and fun, and a car that appeals to both, the heart and the mind.
kadanaJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 08:30   #36
BHPian

Looking at the responses, could not help wondering how many of those who have responded to the poll had actually test driven the latest iterations of all those cars listed.

To be fair, all of the manufacturers mentioned have tried to up the game; be it by focusing on the shortfall(s) or improving an existing strength. Its of course another topic as to whether the focus was in the right direction.
vinjosep is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 09:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

Looking at the responses, could not help wondering how many of those who have responded to the poll had actually test driven the latest iterations of all those cars listed.

To be fair, all of the manufacturers mentioned have tried to up the game; be it by focusing on the shortfall(s) or improving an existing strength.
Hey vinjosep I currently own a GT TDI and have drive 5 out of 7 cars listed. Since the experts have already given enough data about which one is a better buy, I am going to only list my observations rather than any +ves & -ves:

Elite CRDI
- The Best Looking hatch in India today.
- Feels equally good if not better than my Polo inside.
- Does not have the turbo kick of the old I20 or the old Swift, but the smooth diesel engine revs easily and the car feels fast now.
- Lovely features, but some are not necessary and ones which are, is not available !!

Swift ZDI
- Still one of the Cheapest diesel hatches around, whether to procure or maintain.
- Is not the fastest around anymore, but surely does not feel slow at any time.
- So mod-friendly that one can just about get anything/anywhere/anyhow for this car.
- Irrespective of the changes/updates, only the ZDI offers Safety kit, Alloys, Auto A/C, etc. Ancient sort of offerings.

Punto Evo 90 HP
-
Offers some really useful and evolutionary gadgets.
- Ride quality is still the best and feels like was designed exclusively for Indian road. It does not make you feel bad even if you accidentally crash into one of the craters.
- Fiat probably have a 'Phase-by-Phase' evolutionary plan or something. They improved everything around the part which had the biggest problem, ENGINE !!
- Ergonomics are really bad and Fiat have done 'Zilch' to fix this on the Evo.

Polo 1.5 TDi
-
The steering wheel looks and feels just perfect. I admit, it feels better than my GT TDi to hold.
- Safety features, improvised ride, reworked MID, etc are standard, which is subtle yet classy.
- Engine is quite refined and the car picks up pace very quickly since the turbo lag is almost non-existent. But the Elite CRDI engine felt more eager over the Polo. May be due to better NVH & free revving nature.
- Is not a people carrier but unlike some apprehensions, 4 adults can seat comfortably.

Vista 90
-
Offers a package which is priced at something like a Swift with 90 HP Punto engine.
- There is so much space inside that if somebody was blindfolded and was asked to sit inside, it would be difficult to say this was a hatchback.
- Idea was good but execution was pathetic. Nothing feels like it will last, considering the brilliant engine which can outlast the car.
- Good that the this model will be discontinued as it can no longer hold anything agains the new breed of hatchbacks.

Having observed all these folks, I feel just so good to have bought the 1.6 GT TDi. One really has to drive this machine to know what an 'Adranaline Rush of Torque' feels like.

Would I buy another GT TDI if I could, HELL YEAH !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th September 2014 at 09:47.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 09:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Swift ZDI
- Still one of the Cheapest diesel hatches around, whether to procure or maintain.
- Is not the fastest around anymore, but surely does not feel slow at any time.

...[/b]
I voted for the Swift.

Ease to maintain and low cost as well, and speed or looks don't really matter to me now.
Old 8th September 2014, 09:51   #39
Team-BHP Support

I am in the process of choosing a car to replace my mothers Getz

The Elite i20 heads the list but it is quite big compared to its older brother. The Grand i10 is in the offing as also the Polo Highline. What is going against the i20 is that the twin airbag + wiper only comes in the top spec.

This makes the Polo potentially better value. Am waiting for my mother to drive all three and take a call.
Old 8th September 2014, 10:29   #40
BHPian

As I have not driven all these cars (except Swift), my opinion is purely based on the many reviews appeared in magazines and discussions read in TBHP.

According to me, Punto Evo is the most beautiful car in this list followed by Elite I20 and then Polo. Swift was good at that time and Visat is nothing to talk about!

Polo seems to be the better one in engine department followed by I20 and then Swift/Punto/Vista. In fact I don't like the Fiat diesel for its initial lag.

Ride and handling, not fair to comment without driving the new versions. Still it appears like Punto, Polo, Swift would be the order.

Overall quality and feel good factor, it goes to Polo followed by I20 and then Evo.

After sales and resale value, as I was owning a Fiat in the past and Skoda presently, I know this is not a deal-breaker.

Conclusion:
Though I was never a Hyundai fan, voted for I20 this time looking at the all round capabilities. I don't mind getting an Evo if that engine was similar to Polo's one.
Old 8th September 2014, 10:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Am waiting for my mother to drive all three and take a call.
I guess she will feel i10 Grand more suitable to her. Feather-lite controls, easy to drive, compact size, good seating position and good visibility all around compared to other two.
Old 8th September 2014, 11:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Just noticed that you are from goa - but only one of your choice is a petrol. The other two are diesel hatches.

But coming to think of it - due to our diesel obsessed market, both Punto Evo and i20 are better off in their diesel versions. A TJet Evo (Gear ratios are sorted in the TJet) / 1.4 petrol i20 would have made it tougher for you to decide.
Hahaha, true, and ironically unlike the rest of India, in Goa petrol is a tad cheaper than diesel, despite that I prefer Diesels, especially VW diesels as they are frugal and powerfull.
Blame it on my middle class unbringing, I don't want to feel the pinch even after flooring the throttle, with petrols you drive in lower gears and you hit single digits instantly, you then feel guilty tanking up each week when you know you could stretch it to almost double that.
Diesels redeem you from that guilt to some extent, thanks to Turbo and Turbo zone power.
In fact that is why I left it as Polo with DSG, cos I am expecting them to launch a diesel-DSG combo. So for now its diesels all the way.

Your location TVM = Trivandrum right, just to let you know I am a Keralite, settled in Goa (2nd Gen). Namaskaram and happy Onam. Pleasure knowing you here.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 11:49   #43
BHPian

Hi,

Voted for Polo considering the new diesel 1.5 (90 BHP), which I drove few weeks back.
Well I finally settled for Grand i10 Diesel (wife preference for smaller car for her) but it was Polo all around my mind & heart.

I still have swift but the new Polo leaves the competition behind in terms of torque and range.

6.8 lakhs, which I am paying for Grand i10 Diesel (Asta) does not have airbags but at 7 Lakhs, you get Polo with better engine & 2 airbags.
Other features like ICE is better bought after market as you can get the one with navigation.
Old 8th September 2014, 13:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

I am a Punto owner and I was a Punto owner. I exchanged my old EmotionPack for a Sport 90HP this January.

And my vote goes to the VW. There's no real reason to explain my reasons as these are already been explained by the other members.

My vote shows really just how fast the Indian premium hatch market is evolving and just how pampered an average dude who's in the market is..

So, IMHO the real winner of this poll is the consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I have voted for Fiat Punto Eva... but currently I am looking for a 7 seater SUV. Hence for its all round capability I have voted for Punto.

Lols, how many members are here in our forum who own both a Punto and a XUV? What's the chemistry between the Italian belle and the Cheetah? That too when the logic asks for a combined garage of i20 CRDI and the XUV, because:
- both are 6-speeds with a similar shift patterns, so you won't try to engage reverse when you are driving her in 5th gear. The Punto's R and the XUV's 6 gear are in the same stick position.
- the wiper stack is on the right side in Punto, being directly ported from the European version; the result is you'll switch the wipers on in an intersection in the XUV instead of turn indicators...
Old 8th September 2014, 23:11   #45
BHPian

My vote goes to the Polo. Though I myself own an i20 (non elite and with DRLs and all round disk brakes :P), the decision was based purely on the rear seat space and comfort as my family uses it more than I do. If I would have been looking for a car only for myself, the polo would have been in my garage by now.

Most Viewed