Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 21:54   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Swift: Best for only front seat passengers be it any type of journey as it doesn't get tiresome 90% of the time I'd the seating etc are adjusted well.
The swift is perfect for a young person/ a young couple / a young couple with a toddler and their weekend luggage.

The day we had our second child the swift seemed a tight fit with the added paraphernalia.

As he grew a couple of months it felt inadequate and was subsequently exchangedfor the Vento.
Old 15th April 2015, 10:39   #137
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Need a small car (hatch) so that its easy to use within the city. Mind is tilted to wagon-r (yes, a 2nd one :P ) considering its practicality & trouble free ownership experience all these years, but want to hear from you all on other possible options to meet my below needs.
1. small car / hatchback only
2. prefer manual even though I get frustrated in traffic, but I feel I have control with the gearshift then
3. Need tachometer, other aspects are not really mandatory as it is just for city use
4. Petrol is adequate since the usage ranges between 500-1500km/month averaging around 10K/year
5. A low/no maintenance car with a good FE since I plan to keep it for long (5-8 years)

6. Important part: Need a car which can backup as a cargo vehicle (well, almost :P). My wagonr has carried construction material, sacks of wheat & rice, etc etc across these years. Need a similar one with folding seats which gives a flatbed to store stuff without any trouble. It was very helpful to carry large bags to airport etc. Hence, was very utilitarian. Need a similar one.

So, which ones meet these requirements other than wagonr? Pl. suggest.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:11   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post

I never thought I'd say this; but why not take a look at the Datsun Go+? It is only slightly longer than your average hatchback. With the second and third row folded away, you'll be able to carry whatever you please. It isn't the best car out there, but it might just serve your purpose. The only downside I see is that it does not have a tacho.

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 23:45   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

UPDATE: The opening TWO posts have been updated with the latest launches/facelifts and information regarding the latest variants and prices from the official sites (except for Volkswagen Polo's prices, which were taken from Carwale).

Also added a Comparo Table at the end of opening post #2, which serves as a good guide for comparing attributes, engine specifications & prices across all the hatchback offerings in this segment.

Hope the effort was worth it, and the updated posts prove to be even more helpful to all the prospective buyers out there. Thanks and ciao!
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 12:35   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I never thought I'd say this; but why not take a look at the Datsun Go+? It is only slightly longer than your average hatchback. With the second and third row folded away, you'll be able to carry whatever you please. It isn't the best car out there, but it might just serve your purpose. The only downside I see is that it does not have a tacho.

Cheers!
Cartman
Datsun Go+? I feel its even more ugly than my wagonr. My existing wagonr is at least ugly cute, which I cannot say about Datsun though. I haven't seen it in real, but only in ads during IPL broadcasts.

I am confused on what to do. I need a new car.
- Go for a sedan & lose the luxury of this all purpose wagon? - No
- Check Etios Liva or i20 variants (since they are the only ones impressing me at the moment) - Cross looks nice like a remote controlled toy car :P
- Don't want to lose the tallboy benefit. This has been very helpful for my parents, who never ever complained of the posture when traveling. Even our Ertiga is not that good in this aspect.
- In two minds why I need a cargo carrier since I wont use it often. But, when used, it has really been beneficial as it has saved precious time at that instant. I am sure we will have such moments going further too.
- Small car so that others at home can drive as well. Also, wouldn't prefer a wide car (with side protrusions like swift) for this reason.

small car + tallboy like posture & ingress/egress + tachometer + luggage space/multipurpose = Only Wagonr? :(
Old 18th April 2015, 10:53   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Need a small car (hatch) so that its easy to use within the city. Mind is tilted to wagon-r (yes, a 2nd one :P ) considering its practicality & trouble free ownership experience all these years, but want to hear from you all on other possible options to meet my below needs.
A Wagon R would make the perfect choice but since you are alreading owning one at home why don't you spend a few more bucks and get the Ritz. The car is far more drivable in city compared to the Wagon R and the 1.2 K series engine puts a smile on the face every time it is floored. The mileage is pretty decent in city. Maintenance is more/less the same as comparing to the Wagon R. Plus the Ritz is offered at good discounts at this time. If you wish to try another make, the i10 1.1 iRDE2 is another good choice.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 22:28   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
A Wagon R would make the perfect choice but since you are alreading owning one at home why don't you spend a few more bucks and get the Ritz.
The Ritz won't really double up as a cargo carrier easily. The boot is relatively high and has a narrow mouth. Makes loading and unloading slightly tedious.

Quote:
Datsun Go+? I feel its even more ugly than my wagonr. My existing wagonr is at least ugly cute, which I cannot say about Datsun though. I haven't seen it in real, but only in ads during IPL broadcasts
Hey, you never mentioned anything about the car not being ugly as your requirement.

On a serious note, go check the car out. When I saw it, it was less awkward looking than I imagined. I would concede to the fact that it looks awful though - just not as awful as I thought.

Look at the WagonR as the fallback plan. If nothing else works out - you always have the reliable Maruti to do the duties.

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 22:47   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
On a serious note, go check the car out. When I saw it, it was less awkward looking than I imagined.
Might want to wait for this, before (and if) checking out Datsun. They are planning on implementing better safety standards.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rbags-abs.html
Old 18th April 2015, 22:52   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Might want to wait for this, before (and if) checking out Datsun. They are planning on implementing better safety standards.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rbags-abs.html
Nissan's move is commendable. Instead of coughing-up an excuse like Maruti did, they proactively fixed what is wrong. Credits where it is due. And yes, does make sense to wait for the newer version with the stronger body shell. That said, I wouldn't want to be seen dead in one!

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 19:27   #145
BHPian

Quote:
1. small car / hatchback only
2. prefer manual even though I get frustrated in traffic, but I feel I have control with the gearshift then
3. Need tachometer, other aspects are not really mandatory as it is just for city use
4. Petrol is adequate since the usage ranges between 500-1500km/month averaging around 10K/year
5. A low/no maintenance car with a good FE since I plan to keep it for long (5-8 years)

6. Important part: Need a car which can backup as a cargo vehicle (well, almost :P). My wagonr has carried construction material, sacks of wheat & rice, etc etc across these years. Need a similar one with folding seats which gives a flatbed to store stuff without any trouble. It was very helpful to carry large bags to airport etc. Hence, was very utilitarian. Need a similar one.

You haven't mentioned anything about your budget so here are my suggestions.

Why don't you check out the Ecosport or Ertiga, if it fits in your budget?

If it doesn't, you cant go wrong with a WagonR if you need cargo space. Perhaps you could buy the Stingray version if you need a little more style.

If cargo space is the utmost priority, check out the I10 grand or the I20. You can pick up which ever suits your budget.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 13:17   #146
BHPian

I missed mentioning that I am planning to replace the WagonR with a new hatch/small car.

Looks like, going by feedback, smallcar+tallboy+tacho+space+lowprice+peaceofmind = WagonR itself yet again.

Let me go & check on the offers. Also, tempted to replace it with a petrol zest (yes, big car), but still worried about the long term reliability.
Old 21st April 2015, 22:20   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I missed mentioning that I am planning to replace the WagonR with a new hatch/small car.

Looks like, going by feedback, smallcar+tallboy+tacho+space+lowprice+peaceofmind = WagonR itself yet again.

Let me go & check on the offers. Also, tempted to replace it with a petrol zest (yes, big car), but still worried about the long term reliability.
The Etios Liva 1.5 should be a sweet replacement. Bolt is also quite good
Old 29th April 2015, 19:57   #148

Need suggestion : Toyota Liva or New Swift

I am planning to buy my first car
Need suggestion between Toyota Liva or New Swift?

My budget 7 to 9Lakhs.
Will buy only Top end.

Looking for :
*Diesel variant. My monthly usage would be around 1000KMs minimum.
*Good fuel efficiency.
*Low maintainence.
*Safe car
*Reliable car
*Dont want to change it till 1,50,000 KMs

Please guide me for a good, dream decision.
guru0101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 11:32   #149
BHPian

Re: Need suggestion : Toyota Liva or New Swift

It's unnecessary to opt for the diesel variant if your monthly usage is between 1000 to 1500 kms. Though the mileage of diesel vehicles be more and also, the diesel cost might be less compared with petrol, but the maintenance of diesel vehicles will be high. If you are opting for car loan, consider the extra EMI per lakh that you need to spend for diesel vehicles compared with petrol. My suggestion is to go for the top end petrol variant.

If you are not satisfied with Elite i20 Asta petrol, go ahead with Swift Zxi. If you are adamant for the diesel variant, blindly opt for Elite i20 Asta diesel.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 12:50   #150
BHPian

Re: Need suggestion : Toyota Liva or New Swift

As Grand Drive mentioned, you should be looking at the top end petrol variants. The additional cost of buying and maintaining a diesel is not justified given yourself monthly running.
I would check out the Grand i10 and Elite i20 petrol variants. They both fulfill your criteria quite well. The Liva could also be considered, but it lacks the feel good factor. That, for me, makes it unappealing to own till the completion of 1.5 lakh km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru0101 View Post
*Safe car
Out goes the Swift then. An unstable body shell earned it a zero star rating in NCAP crash tests.
Turbo_asd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks