Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 12:58   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need suggestion : Toyota Liva or New Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post

Out goes the Swift then. An unstable body shell earned it a zero star rating in NCAP crash tests.
I guess both cars go out on this front.
I don't think Liva has scored handsomely in this department either. Remember it is developed for India and is not a global model, so isn't as safe as the Toyota Global cars usually are.
Also 1.5 lakh kms and a 1000 kms per month running suggests the car would be kept for 12 years. Too long for Liva, which already looks dated.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 30th April 2015 at 13:00.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 13:07   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

You have a sweet budget. A lot of cars will come inside this budget. Did you do some analysis to arrive at the Liva and Swift as your preferred choices? If not, I suggest to look at the other options also, you will pretty much get top end of all hatches, premium hatches and even several of the compact sedans.

Just among these two, I don't think a Liva would be good for 150,000 Km since it is not very solidly built. Also considering the interior quality and features are more in the swift, it would be the better choice.

Personally I would look at offerings from Hyundai closely (Grand i10, Xcent, i20 Elite)
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 13:30   #153
BHPian

With that kind of budget and requirements, I would certainly go with Elite I20. I would not like to own swift for another 10 years when it has already been in the market for so long and for Liva, I do not think it has been made to last that long.
Engine_Roars is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 13:39   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen diesel Etios with above 200,000kms on the odometer in mint condition with no work done to the engine or suspension. Yes i have personally talked to the owner. Innova's run 4-5 lakh kms with out any fuss. D4d engines are famous for there long term reliability and fuss free ownership. No wonder cab owners prefer the Altis/Innova/Etios/Liva more among their competitors. If long term ownership is considered Liva is a very good choice. If an interior looks bland and lacks in features it simply does not mean its made of poor quality and in long term it will fall apart.

I own a nearly 43,000kms run Etios petrol and a 11,000kms run Maruti Alto k10. The Etios is totally rattle free and with the Maruti i have already visited the service center thrice to fix the rattles! Plus the maintenance cost of my Etios is lesser than the k10! Liva is one of the cheapest car to maintain in the long run. On bad roads Liva's ride quality is more complaint than the swift and the interiors are more spacious.

With Liva you will get airbags right from the base model where as in Swift they provide airbags only in there top variants.

Regarding safety in the Latin NCAP crash test the Liva managed to get 4 stars. But i cant comment on whether we get the same Liva in India or the car in the crash test is for other countries like South Africa/Brazil.

Coming to the flip side of Liva where Swift scores better - If you are okay to live with a boring looking car with featureless and bland interior design you can very well opt for the Liva.

The DDIS engine of the Swift will be much more fun to drive. Swift do have better interiors and looks sportier than the Liva. Plus the handling of the Swift is better than Liva too. Resale value of Swift will be more and Maruti service centers and spares are always more easier to find.

Both are great cars. Just take a back to back test drive of both and pick the car of your choice.

Last edited by Samba : 30th April 2015 at 14:01.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 13:49   #155
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru0101 View Post
*Diesel variant. My monthly usage would be around 1000KMs minimum.
  • Your running doesn't warrant a diesel car. Please look at petrol options only.
  • Can you specify anything about your space requirements?
  • Swift is the best petrol hatch there, but it's pretty cramped for a family.
  • Liva is simple, no nonsense car. It's practical in every aspect, only let down by it's design.
  • Elite i20 is a brilliant car, but the petrol engine is underpowered for a car of it's class.
  • I would recommend you to wait for Honda Jazz. It'll mostly launch in Q3 of 2015. Top variant may not be in your range, but I'm sure you'll want to buy the mid variant when it comes.
Hope this helps.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 14:29   #156
BHPian

If the buy is immediate, Elite i20 is a better buy. The 1.4L diesel engine is very refined and is a well packaged car.

Swift is definitely good, has proven its mettle but I hear Maruti Suzuki has plans to bring in IK 2 YRA premium hatchback sometime this year so why settle for a car that has existed for over a decade now.

Liva, I personally feel it to be a little too unappealing and does'nt garner a presence.
Prash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 15:39   #157
Senior - BHPian

Since, you plan to keep the car for 1,50,000 kms just wanted to add another bit of math while you compare the pricing.

Expect these average maintenance costs for the 1,50,000 kms run over a period of 10 years.

3,500 - 4,000 rupees per 10,000 kms for the Liva
8000 - 9,000 rupees per 10,000 kms for the Swift
10,000 - 11,000 rupees per 10,000 kms for the Hyundai Diesels

PS: I haven't including the tyre changing costs in the maintenance cost.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 15:46   #158
Senior - BHPian

Out of the two, I would suggest the Liva for its space and 1.5 motor (yes I recommend petrol too) However, you could wait for the Suzuki YRA hatchback
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 15:54   #159
BHPian

We own a Liva D and its done around 67,000kms.

FE has been around 18-20kmpl

Service costs at every 10,000 kms excluding wheel alignment and balancing are : Rs 2350, Rs 2500, Rs 3100, Rs 4150, Rs 3000, Rs 3500.

Rs 18,600 servicing costs for 66,000kms in three years and it feels almost like it came out of the showroom.

Only issue ever was related to the horn and it was rectified at the next service visit with some 'retuning'.

Its a boring, unexciting but extremely reliable car with a powerful enough engine and a good steering. And yes, it will easily do the 1.5 lakh kms you are expecting it to do.

Yes am bored of the Liva and would like to sell it as soon as some issues crop up. Problem is the Toyota just wouldnt die on me
revintup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 17:11   #160
Senior - BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Expect these average maintenance costs for the 1,50,000 kms run over a period of 10 years.

3,500 - 4,000 rupees per 10,000 kms for the Liva
8000 - 9,000 rupees per 10,000 kms for the Swift
10,000 - 11,000 rupees per 10,000 kms for the Hyundai Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
We own a Liva D and its done around 67,000kms.

FE has been around 18-20kmpl

Service costs at every 10,000 kms excluding wheel alignment and balancing are : Rs 2350, Rs 2500, Rs 3100, Rs 4150, Rs 3000, Rs 3500.

Rs 18,600 servicing costs for 66,000kms in three years and it feels almost like it came out of the showroom.
So, that means an average maintenance cost of 3100 per 10,000 kms after covering 66,000 kms on the odo. That is well within our expectation of 3500-4000 per 10,000 kms. And Toyota is probably the only brand where their Diesel engine maintenance cost is close or sometimes even cheaper than their Petrol engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Yes am bored of the Liva and would like to sell it as soon as some issues crop up. Problem is the Toyota just wouldnt die on me
A Toyota is so boring to own.
Before and after service it behaves the same.
Whether the odo reading is 10,000 or 70,000 kms , it behaves the same.
Whether it's after a 10 km city drive or a 1000 kms highway drive, it behaves the same.
Heck, when you are travelling at 140 kmph, it feels as if I'm driving at 80-100 speeds!
There are no part replacements other than what is mentioned on the service manual
Terms like lower arm, tie rod end, steering rattle are forgotten since our family switched to Toyota ( from Maruti )
Once addicted to Toyota quality, it's difficult to shift brands. Technologies like AMT are very tempting ( especially for my parents ). But, the quality of this brand is making us wait for a Toyota ( VIOS ) even if that wait means a few more years.

Last edited by amalji : 30th April 2015 at 17:12.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 17:12   #161

Thanks for all you replies

I am fond of long drives ( interested but never tried).. So planning for diesel

Why I considered Etios Liva is - Till now who ever is using Etios has never given me a negative feedback. I talk to many taxi drivers in signal stoppings in Bangalore.. Consistently almost everyone told 18-19KMPL in Bangalore traffic..Low maintenance cost. Feedback is coming from unbiased samples ..

Swift : Features are much better than Liva.. Interiors impressed me a lot.. FIAT engine.. Good mileage.. Took for test drive..Wife did not liked it..So dropping it from list..

Hyundai i20 : Diesel variant with Dual Airbags & ABS costs 10L

Zest & Bolt : Took test drive..Pretty impressive cars.. But the dealer is charging AMC of 17000/- for 3 Years.. So doubt that maintenance cost may be high.. Otherwise really value for money with lot of good features.. Need suggestion on this also..

Now again confused between Tata & Toyoyta..

Last edited by Eddy : 30th April 2015 at 17:44. Reason: Please read through our rules. Not more than two smilies allowed per post.
Old 30th April 2015, 17:35   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Zest & Bolt : Took test drive..Pretty impressive cars.. But the dealer is charging AMC of 17000/- for 3 Years.. So doubt that maintenance cost may be high.. Otherwise really value for money with lot of good features.. Need suggestion on this also..
Close your eyes and go for the Liva. You would never regret that decision.
Its fundamentals are so strong.

But, I would recommend to buy the Etios instead of Liva if possible because of the better ride comfort and utility especially since you are planning to use it for 1.5 lakhs kms.

I've used Etios and Liva extensively and the ride comfort of Etios is on a different league thanks mainly to that best in class wheel base ( even longer than the Manza ) and those excellent suspensions.

Last edited by amalji : 30th April 2015 at 17:53.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 17:43   #163
BHPian

Quote:
If your intention of buying car is to mainly enjoy highway drives, I suggest you to consider Fiat Punto Evo Emotion 1.3 L 90 HP Diesel.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 17:47   #164
BANNED

Quote:
Now again confused between Tata & Toyoyta.
Toyota Liva D it is.

Go ahead and buy the Toyota eyes closed. You'll never regret it.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 18:44   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all you replies

Why I considered Etios Liva is - Till now who ever is using Etios has never given me a negative feedback. I talk to many taxi drivers in signal stoppings in Bangalore.. Consistently almost everyone told 18-19KMPL in Bangalore traffic..Low maintenance cost. Feedback is coming from unbiased samples ..

A quick word of advice about the bolt and Zest. The price difference between comparable variants of the bolt and zest is very little ( I think between the top end variants of both it is a measily 35-40000) and you get so much more in the zest. So really does not make sense to buy the bolt)

My sister in law has an etios- from the first batch. Now run around 70k. I have extensively driven it. It is a practical work horse. Good to drive because of a good engine and light body. Now there are some niggles popping up( I don't have details), but it has been to the service center several times in the last 6 months. Overall it is an extremely practical car and can take lots of abuse( it is driven by a driver who thinks he is the reincarnation of Michael Schumacher). So it works perfectly as a taxi or driver driven car. As a self driven car for 150000 km, not too sure.
Of course there is no hard and fast rule that you need to keep it for 150000 km. If and when you get bored of it, if circumstances permit you can always upgrade.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks