Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 13:38   #316
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
the Punto gives a scary image of their after sales, but still if you could rate those too, might help add to my confusion.
I do not have a Punto but do know many who do. The Punto at 40,000km is as good as my Chevy Cruze when it was just out of the showroom. Its that well screwed together. If you take a ride in it on rough roads you are going to have a major dilemma as to how this car does so bad in the market. After sales in your area should be inspected and then plonk your hard earned money into the decision. Ask your friend to loan you a Punto for 1 week. I have the same dilemma and am confused between the Ameo diesel and the Punto diesel. Ameo comes near about the handling of the Punto and has got a far more potent(torque) engine but for a lot more cash though.

To make the confusion worse the Petrol CVT Jazz comes into the fray.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 15:03   #317
BHPian

Thoma,
Like you see below for Micra, each person's perception is different.

Quote:
Thanks for that, but oh my God, you added to my confusion. I have the Micra at home and rate it for the first two points at the very last; so mine is contradictory to your rating. I had a fair bit of stint with the Swift and the Liva too, but not the Figo.

And just now, on the Figo thread, it is mentioned that the TDCi engine feels strained at higher RPM! I almost tilt my mind towards the Swift and come here to read that the Swift scores so bad on my priorities.
For the Figo, this post says:
Quote:
I was wondering what the threshold limit(w.r.t. RPM) could be, beyond which refinement levels and performance take a hit. My analysis is it could be around the 2700-2800RPM mark (My new Figo TDCi has just crossed the 35000KM mark on the odometer and I have driven it in the 120-130kmph/2500-2800RPM range few times on wide highways. The car was in fact quite comfortable till those speeds/RPMs )
Engine of a hatchback getting strained after 120-130 kmph - is that really that much of a deal-breaker, considering the performance it gives in low-end and mid-range of the rpm?
Old 12th October 2016, 17:14   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If you take a ride in it on rough roads you are going to have a major dilemma as to how this car does so bad in the market. After sales in your area should be inspected and then plonk your hard earned money into the decision. Ask your friend to loan you a Punto for 1 week.
My toppers in the hatchback segment is first the Punto and then the Liva; both have got so much of character, we feel we are in charge of a machine and yet feel comfortable too. I would like to drive endlessly on these two cars. Most others are just transport machines, sorry it's my personal view. But the issue is that the best car don't have a proper dealer in my town leave alone a service center and the other do not have much horsepower on paper yet is costly.

Is there any Figo for self drive rental that I can take out for a spin for two days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
Like you see below for Micra, each person's perception is different.
Perception vary, but there are some standards set by certain cars and I am not aware of all those and was seeking for the same.

Does the 100 horses for the Figo on paper translate to any real world advantage?
Old 12th October 2016, 18:34   #319
BHPian

Quote:
My toppers in the hatchback segment is first the Punto and then the Liva; both have got so much of character, we feel we are in charge of a machine and yet feel comfortable too. I would like to drive endlessly on these two cars. Most others are just transport machines, sorry it's my personal view. But the issue is that the best car don't have a proper dealer in my town leave alone a service center and the other do not have much horsepower on paper yet is costly.
Very true. I like the Punto very much but looking at the sales, I'm not sure how long even the existing dealerships will be sustainable.

Quote:
Is there any Figo for self drive rental that I can take out for a spin for two days?
In Hyderabad one can rent an Aspire which shares most of the mechanicals with the Figo from REVV, . Not sure about your town.

Quote:
Perception vary, but there are some standards set by certain cars and I am not aware of all those and was seeking for the same.

Does the 100 horses for the Figo on paper translate to any real world advantage?
My personal experience: Yes, it does. In the test drive I took, it accelerated uphill over a slope in Banjara Hills - it was so effortless for the car.
This car has proven itself on the track but then if you don't trust the other publications (I don't ) there is always the Team-BHP official review and the ownership reviews like our friendly mod mobike008's: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...completed.html

or karan561's awesome video review. He races it with a Polo in it. Worth checking out: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...1-5l-tdci.html

Last edited by jetti : 12th October 2016 at 18:36.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 13:00   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Is it still advisable to buy the Swift Petrol?

I'm really inclining towards it but my only question is, would the resale value be affected after the new Swift comes out in 2017? I'm going to keep this car for the next 4-5 years, so can I expect a good resale value after that?
Do let me know.
The current Swift was introduced in 2011 so it's been around for 5 years now. How many of the previous generation Swifts do you see on the road these days? This might answer your question on resale value.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 22:15   #321
Senior - BHPian

My brother is planning to add a second car to his garage - a hatchback. It will be primarily used to drive my sister-in-law to office and back (so it will be chauffeur-driven most of the time). The Liva was on top of the list, until the facelift and subsequent price hike. He has an offer for VxD Liva for about 8.74L (on-road, with 5 years warranty package) and for the Figo Titanium+ diesel for about 8L (on road, with 3 years warranty). If he opts for the Titanium instead of Titanium+, then the offer is about 7.3L.

Knowing my brother, he will keep this car for at least 5-7 years and the the Liva offers up to 7 years warranty, whereas Figo offers upto 5 years.

Both the Figo Titanium and the Liva VxD have basic safety features (ABS + 2 Airbags), so that aspect is covered. We can even go for the Titanium+ version with 6 airbags and still get the car cheaper than Liva VxD.

Now, is it worth paying 75K-1.4L above Figo for the Liva? It's a lot of money when it comes to a hatchback's budget.
Old 16th October 2016, 22:36   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Now, is it worth paying 75K-1.4L above Figo for the Liva? It's a lot of money when it comes to a hatchback's budget.
Aside from the warranty/reliability factor where the Figo is unknown (does not equal bad, just insufficient data), I would go for the Figo. For a like for like comparison, you should be looking at the Titanium and the VxD.

The Liva's interiors are a huge weakness, even in the facelifted version - they simply scream cheap. The Figo's engine is a huge strength. Throw in the fact that the Liva is an older product compared to the Figo as well as the extra cost and it simply doesn't make sense.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 12:48   #323
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Between the Baleno Diesel & Ford Aspire Diesel, which one would you guys suggest.

Have considered these 2 as a replacement for our 7 year old Maruti Ritz.
What's adding to the confusion is that they are identically priced & equipped.

Baleno 1.3 Delta Rs 8.78 lakhs
Aspire 1.5 Titanium Rs. 8.80 lakhs

Heart says Aspire, Head Says Baleno with the biggest differentiator being the Resale Value of Baleno (Maruti & More Popular then Aspire).

Last week had the Test drive of Aspire while I am yet to drive the Baleno. Will consider more options if there are any that spell VFM like these 2.
Old 18th October 2016, 13:17   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Dear BHPians,

Heart says Aspire, Head Says Baleno with the biggest differentiator being the Resale Value of Baleno (Maruti & More Popular then Aspire).
You wont have a heart or a head if you happen to meet with an accident on the highway at moderate speeds when in a Baleno. You are better of with your present 7 year old car which is far more safe and sturdy compared to its stablemate. You will be down grading by buying the Baleno over the Ritz. Take the car with more safety features by which I mean air bags. If it is strictly going to be used in the city at speeds below 50kmph then Baleno is in the contest.

Walk up to both the cars and press the center portion of the rear doors of the cars with your thumb. Take the one that does not elicit a flex. Tap the " A " pillar of both the cars in the center and take home the one that sounds less tinny of the two in question. To make matters easier for you to choose buy a car which can be registered legally in our state of Assam.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 18th October 2016 at 13:22.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 17:45   #325
BHPian

Quote:

Last week had the Test drive of Aspire while I am yet to drive the Baleno. Will consider more options if there are any that spell VFM like these 2.
Go with the Aspire. You should not worry about the resale value if you plan to keep this car for 7-8 years. Also, do not worry about the reliability either, this Ford TDCi engine has already passed the test of time. For 7 years, you do not want to fool your heart, that you did not listen to its cry for re-sale value.

Wishing you luck for your purchase !!!
BB311 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 20:34   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Go with the Aspire. You should not worry about the resale value if you plan to keep this car for 7-8 years. Also, do not worry about the reliability either, this Ford TDCi engine has already passed the test of time. For 7 years, you do not want to fool your heart, that you did not listen to its cry for re-sale value.

Wishing you luck for your purchase !!!
No doubts regarding Reliability. Yes, one should not think about Resale when he is keeping the car for 7-8 years, but I did not mention that anywhere

What I said was, I am looking for a replacement of 7 Year Old Ritz, because it was a workhorse & we had kept a driver for it. It used to serve the Ladies of our family. Baleno came into picture only when I checked the price of it. Identical Price, Boot Space, Features added to this confusion.
Old 18th October 2016, 20:58   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Baleno came into picture only when I checked the price of it. Identical Price, Boot Space, Features added to this confusion.
Hey CarguyNish, no matter what are the suggestions/advises you get, at the end of the day, it is ONLY you who can take the call.

Personally:

- If the purpose of this car is just 'Transporting People' from A to B 90% of its ownership time and you may have a driver to do this, go with the Baleno. You have had experience with Maruti A.S.S and NEXA is just a name.

- If this new car will be self driven 90% of the time and you want to have that surreal driving experience for the VFM pricing, go with Figo Aspire TDCi. Reliability is definitely not as bad as the Germans/Europeans, but rest assured, it is a total Satisfaction guaranteed.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 17:10   #328
BHPian

Quote:
No doubts regarding Reliability. Yes, one should not think about Resale when he is keeping the car for 7-8 years, but I did not mention that anywhere
Ah well, that was an assumption based on the age of your Ritz, i thought you are a keeper like me.
Anyways, the crux is listen to your heart. Ford ASS is excellent (atleast in NCR, not sure about your area), and maintenance prices are lower than my Swift. I am comparing this with my Ecosport and both of them have the same engine. Maruti might have the largest network, but than, the service is given by third party sources. Their quality differs place to place, so it would be wrong to reject a car just because the competition has better network. Just trust your heart, and enjoy the pleasure of driving.
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 19:36   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Ah well, that was an assumption based on the age of your Ritz, i thought you are a keeper like me.
Anyways, the crux is listen to your heart. Ford ASS is excellent (atleast in NCR, not sure about your area), and maintenance prices are lower than my Swift. I am comparing this with my Ecosport and both of them have the same engine. Maruti might have the largest network, but than, the service is given by third party sources. Their quality differs place to place, so it would be wrong to reject a car just because the competition has better network. Just trust your heart, and enjoy the pleasure of driving.
I don't have any problems with Ford ASS in my city. It has been Excellent over the Past 6 Years (2010-15 Figo), (2013-Present) Ecosport. They have been very helpful & what's nice is that the same persons are there still, no shuffling. Service Cost is definitely cheaper then Maruti no doubt. This is the biggest reason why I have choosen Aspire over Baleno.

Maruti's definitely have better resale, my 5 year Old WagonR was sold for 3.5 lakhs while my brother's 5 year old Figo was sold for 2.6 lakhs. Both were in top shape and had running was low (33k & 23k respectively)

Will come to a conclusion after I drive the Baleno Diesel.

Thanks for your suggestion

Cheers.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 19th October 2016 at 19:56.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 15:45   #330

Last week I collected my baleno delta after a four and a half month wait. Decision was easy because of my happy experience with the old baleno I exchanged. It has done 1.3 lakh kms in 15 years, with a cumulative average of 12 km per litre. Parts changed - clutch plate (my fault), brake lining, timer belt, AC evaporator, tyres at 50000 kms, battery 4 times. Otherwise only regular routine service expenses. It has behaved well in long holiday trips of 2000 to 3000 kms, that was a blessing.

Most Viewed