Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2017, 19:13   #406
BHPian

Re: Second car for the highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Here's how I see it, no car will match your expectations 100% but one does come close :

- VW Polo - great car, terrible engine (1.2 petrol) no from me.

- Toyota Liva - Spacious car, good engine, small boot and average build, try closing the door and you'll know. No from me.

- Suzuki Baleno - Below average build, if anything is a fact it is this. Not suitable.

- Tata Tiago - Overrated car, it looks too small and priced quite high.. I suppose its simply for the styling. The 3 cyl petrol engine is never preferable.

- Tata Bolt - I'll admit to a good product when I see it, Bolt is one. The build quality is tremendous, the ride is very flat and mature and space is above average.. include spacious glass area and good ingress/egress and you've a winner, Bolt all the way.

It seems to me that you like the Polo so if that is true then you can go for it as well, but in terms of engine refinement and ride quality Bolt is ahead for sure. Polos do not have a flat ride over bad roads, they bounce and bob much more. Punto and Zest/Bolt have very very mature, European ride quality.
Well, on paper the Bolt is a clear winner but the TIAGO performed really well, so if TIAGO is a safe car then the premium for BOLT would be wasted. TIAGO is priced really well.

Bolt is not selling well and would it be discontinued shortly ? I usually keep my cars for atleast a decade. Bolt also does not have ABS or Airbags in base or mid variants and the top of the line model is north of my budget.

I had the same issue with my TATA ESTATE, a great car in the 90s but the production ceased shortly and the car was literally killed because of the lack of spare parts.

I am a bit uneasy when I see the sales figures of Bolt, it's a complete dodo.

A gist of my new test drives

Baleno- Very solid performance, really liked the engine. ABS and Airbbags as standard is reassuring but did it pass NCAP? If Kerb weight is anything to go by it would lose the test, It weighs less than the much smaller Tiago.

Liva- Average performance, the car's interiors and suspension are not to my liking but availability of ABS and Airbags in base model does not rule it out.

Figo- Ruled out as even mid variant does not have ABS as standard.

I20 Base model- Yet to drive

So currently , I am narrowing it down to TIAGO(Top model) vs Baleno(base) vs VW Polo (Treadline) vs Liva(base) in descending order of priority.

I am still worried about the safety of Tiago and Baleno because I can't find the NCAP ratings for the Indian specific models on the internet. Tiago appears to be untested and foreign models of baleno scored 3.

Polo's engine had some harshness to it and on the road it's drivable to say the least. The interiors look dated but felt better than the Liva's. The handling and safety are two aspects which goes in it's favour

Liva, it does everything reasonably well but it feels really awkard when it gains speed. The suspension and steering are not suited for highway speed maneuvering. The interiors remind me of the Taxis.
Old 8th September 2017, 22:39   #407
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
I humbly request fellow Bhpians to counsel me in this regard. Feel free to suggest other cars also which I failed to notice.
I was in a similar situation a few weeks back. I started with a petrol car in mind and budget of 7L and booked the Baleno petrol Delta which is the most VFM variant of the Baleno. I also checked out some other cars.

The Dzire felt a bit more nimble than the Baleno but the waiting period and the bad plastic quality which becomes more prominent due to the use of beige made me book the Baleno. The Hyundais offer better build than Marutis and feel much more premium inside. However, the 1.2 Kappa feels just about adequate in the i10 and definitely underpowered in the i20. You will have to rev the engine every time if you wish to overtake. In comparison, the Polo MPI actually feels faster. Also, within your budget, you will only get the Sportz variant which misses out on a lot of features. At the end, I could not justify going for the i20 just for the better build quality. The Aspire petrol and the Amaze petrol feel quite peppy even at lower RPMs. The Amaze feels even better once the V-Tec kicks in after 3000RPM. I was more impressed by the Amaze though it is a bit pricey for the SX variant, with discounts you can get it for around 8L on road. I was also impressed by the Jazz SV and would definitely pick it over the i20 petrol.

When it comes to petrol, I think that the Baleno is still the most sensible choice taking into account all the factors. Otherwise, you should get one of the Hondas. However, I never really enjoyed driving the Baleno even after multiple test drives. I felt that we should give a chance to any engine which comes within our budget, hence I had a look at the diesels too. And since your(and mine) running will be more on highways, the bigger diesels in this price range will make your drives much more enjoyable.

The Ameo definitely has the best engine in its segment. The turbo boost is addictive. The Polo diesel is another good choice, however why settle for 90Bhp when you can get 110Bhp. Unless of course you like how the Polo looks and are willing to fore-go the better specs of the Ameo engine. However extending my budget by 50k for the base Trendline variant didn't make too much sense. Also, I was told by my dad that he does not want to have 2 Volkswagens at home . Since this was going to be my first car, it made sense too considering the fact the VW service and spare parts are costly. So, the Figo TDCI it was. One drive on the highway and I was sold on the engine. Made a booking and got it home last week.

P.S.- If you can extend your budget, check out the i20 diesel. It feels much better to drive when compared to the petrol.

P.P.S.- Just saw your second post. ABS is now optional on the base Ambiente variant and the Trend got standard ABS about an year ago. Between your shortlists, I would strongly suggest the Polo Trendline but if you can stretch for the Baleno Delta I would recommend going for the Baleno Delta. Ignis Delta being another alternative. Also, do check out the Grand i10 Asta. I was being offered 70k discount on it bringing its price to 6.85L on road.

Last edited by AYP : 8th September 2017 at 22:53.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 01:26   #408
BHPian

Quote:
So currently , I am narrowing it down to TIAGO(Top model) vs Baleno(base) vs VW Polo (Treadline) vs Liva(base) in descending order of priority.
You can consider Figo Titanium. It has a lot of offers on it, and it might come in your budget. Its packed with most of the features you would need and is considerably well built.

You could also consider the Ignis Zeta. It is again loaded with features but has a better engine. This would be a nice upgrade from Wagon R as rightly said above.

As mentioned, if Grand i10 Asta is available with huge discounts, then it would be a good choice too.

Finally, I would also look at used car market. You could easily land a good condition Verna/Honda City which might be better in terms of safety than these lightweights.

If I were in your place I would check out the Grand i10 deal. If not available, I would try to find a used Verna SX(O) from 2013. Comfortable car, should not be too tough to maintain, and good safety credentials.
Old 9th September 2017, 11:44   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The budget is around 6.5-7.5 lakhs onroad
In that price range, there's Grand i10. Showrooms in Cochin are offering discounts of 50k. It's not a "fun to drive" car and it's steering is dead, but it's a breeze to use in the city. Loaded with features and top notch quality. I would suggest you to take a TD.
Old 10th September 2017, 13:42   #410

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

In june I did a long trip in my 8 month old baleno, pune to interior karnataka to chennai, and back to pune via bangalore. Total distance 3105 kms, with max day coverage of 496 and 540 kms on forward and return journeys. Otherwise distances covered were nominal with frequent breaks for temple visits. Happy experience and baleno's performance was extremely satisfactory. Biggest surprise was the fuel consumption 20.7 km per litre, based on fuel filled. Bakeno is an ideal car for holiday trips.
Old 20th September 2017, 23:31   #411
BHPian

Based on my test drives I found the VW polo Petrol treadline to be adequate. It was competing with the top end Tiago, but I somehow feel that for the highways Polo is better because of better high speed stability and it feels more reassuring because it has passed NCAP tests. I know that the engine is not it's strong point but it's just good enough to get the job done. The car was far easier to drive than the Liva in heavy traffic because of the shorter gearing of the polo.

Assuming that I select Polo Treadline, I have two questions.

1) Being a basic variant, would installing a simple car parking sensor and a basic music system void the warranty ?

2 )How reliable is VW's service especially in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. I took the test drive from EVM Trivandrum and they were very professional and I was impressed by the way they marketed the car. How good is VW's road side assistance ?

Regarding warranty I would like to get a fair idea before I have a talk with the dealer.
Old 27th May 2018, 17:10   #412
BHPian

Got 3.5 lacs, what car to get?

Greetings everyone,

I am in a decision or say confusion of getting a car on a budget.
Let me first tell you about my past companions, my usage and my need.

I live in Faridabad for work and my hometown is Ludhiana. I used to drive a Ritz Diesel as my daily and a Lancer Petrol on weekend drives. In March, I sold my Ritz as it had covered more that 1,50,000 kms and got about 9 year old. It was a great high sitting city car except the annoying (sometimes) turbo lag. By this time I could feel that Ritz would need some repair anytime soon. Its engine lacked the original grunt, its original bumpers had taken some beating. Its gearshift lever had got enough free play in every direction and became weird to use. Engine noise increased significantly. Enough about it, so finally sold it at Rs 2,15,000 to someone known.

So from last two months, I am driving my beauty, our 1999 Lancer GLXi. It has been very reliable with respect to its age. I love to drive it but TBH, it feels heavy and bothersome to drive in city traffic. I am always scared that what if someone bangs into it, I wont be able to find original parts easily. Also, people keep telling stories that if police stops me driving a lancer, they will keep the car and send it to scrapyard as it is more than 15 years old. But I am not able to believe this because I had extended its PB-10 registration for 5 years in 2015 which is now valid till 2020. So ideally I should be fine driving it anywhere in India (correct me if wrong).

After discussing all this with my father, he suggested me to get another car for daily usage. So I have made up my mind and the budget is 3-4 lacs. I prefer finding a decent used car over a brand new car because of depreciation. But the car segment has not been decided yet, its becoming tough day by day. I am currently looking at a wide range of cars from Honda Brios to Civics.
Following is the list of key qualities I am looking for in my upcoming car:
1. Good highway manners (I travel from NCR to Ludhiana like every 6 weeks)
2. Good low end torque (I hated Ritz diesel for week low-end and turbo lag. I am surprised by Lancer's drivability, pulls beautifully from 25 km/h in 3rd gear)
3. Preferably a petrol (I keep cars for long time and authorities in NCR don't seem to be liking diesels (10 years rule), petrols are silent, easy to maintain, run trouble free)
4. Engaging steering, preferably a hydraulic unit (I drive a Lancer, enough said)
5. Decent ride quality, something like we hear about Fiats.
6. Should be a safe car with ABS and Airbags.
7. 2010+ model, less run, nicely maintained.

Everyday I make up my mind for one car, next day for another car and its going on from last 2 weeks. Cars that came to my mind are:
Honda Brio, Jazz, Civic (no city as father drives a 2014 City VX CVT)
Maruti Swift (2G), Ritz ZXi (will be last option)
Toyota Etios P/D, Liva D
Ford Figo (1G), Fiesta
Fiat Punto, Linea
Mitsubishi Cedia (afraid of spares. Again, I drive a Lancer)
Hyundai...(maybe not, they never grabbed my attention)
VW Polo (dull petrol, noisy diesels), Vento (poor petrol low end torque)
Skoda...expansive long term ownership
Can't remember any more.

So basically I love sedans but find hatchbacks more convenient. For example, my heart says Civic, brain says Brio.

Kindly share your views.
Old 27th May 2018, 19:22   #413
BHPian

Re: Got 3.5 lacs, what car to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM_360 View Post
Kindly share your views.
Considering your budget, pre owned cars are the sensible option. My suggestion will be the Etios/Liva Petrol if their interiors aren't a deal breaker for you. You can be sure about their reliability and have a tension free ownership. Or go for used Jazz. But you will have to deal with the poor low end torque of vtec. I don't think Civic will be a wise decision.

Last edited by Flyer : 27th May 2018 at 19:31.
Old 27th May 2018, 20:55   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings everyone,

I am in a decision or say confusion of getting a car on a budget.
Let me first tell you about my past companions, my usage and my need.

Go with your heart. 3.5 lacs - you can get a civic V-AT with cruise control and sunroof

Last edited by theMAG : 27th May 2018 at 22:37. Reason: Trimming quoted content for readability.
Old 27th May 2018, 21:07   #415
BHPian

Since you want a fun to drive car, I would suggest only these two:

1) The Fiesta 1.6

2) The Honda Civic

But if you are keen on a hatchback, get the incredibly fun to drive Ford. The Figo. Except for a slightly underpowered engine, the car is to an enthusiast’s taste.

All of these cars are equally fun to drive and can satisfy the needs of an enthusiast.

Also since your heart wants a Civic, I’d say - go for it. Within 3.5 lakhs, you could get very well maintained examples. But beware of the notorious low end torque - the Civic has a very poor low end.

Last edited by Prathiiik : 27th May 2018 at 21:10.
Old 27th May 2018, 22:07   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings everyone,
so finally sold it at Rs 2,15,000 to someone known.
You got a very very good price for a heavily used Ritz and of this age.

Quote:
I love to drive it but TBH, it feels heavy and bothersome to drive in city traffic. I am always scared that what if someone bangs into it, I wont be able to find original parts easily.
What you feat for your current ride, will be applicable to Civic too. Parts might be available but will be expensive for sure. So Civic is not recommended.

Quote:
2. Good low end torque (I hated Ritz diesel for week low-end and turbo lag. I am surprised by Lancer's drivability, pulls beautifully from 25 km/h in 3rd gear)
3. Preferably a petrol (I keep cars for long time and authorities in NCR don't seem to be liking diesels (10 years rule), petrols are silent, easy to maintain, run trouble free)
4. Engaging steering, preferably a hydraulic unit (I drive a Lancer, enough said)
All of these points (except for point 2) point you towards a well maintained Honda City (3rd Gen). Easy to find and satisfies most of your needs. But, you do not want a City because you already have one in the family

So if you have to buy one then pick something like a:

1) Etios - not FTD but will fulfill all your other needs.
2) Corolla - Same as above but will feel like an upgrade from Ritz.
3) Alto (1L) or Kwid (1L) - Both are FTD but not sure if you would like to drive these given the image associated with these. Might feel like a downgrade from the Ritz that you had.
4) Petrol Duster or CRV (low FE but very comfortable to drive long distances).

An alternate option, but not sure if you would consider it, is to give the money (3-4 Lacs) to your Dad and help him upgrade from his current ride, if he has this in his mind. And you take the City for self use. This way he gets an upgrade and you don't have to bother about searching a good used car. You will use what is within the family.
Old 27th May 2018, 22:14   #417
BHPian

If you are okay with a discontinued car, a SX4 is a good option. Resale values are low and the top model has airbags and ABS. MASS will service all cars 10 years after they are discontinued so it is a safe bet with respect to parts availability. Honda Civic may be a better car overall, but the suspension is soft and the ASS might not be capable of servicing it at a reasonable price.

If you are okay with a Tata car, a Petrol Tiago might be a good option. A used Zest XMS or XT can also fit in your budget. A 3 year old Zest will be much nore manageable than a 10 year old Corolla.
Thanks.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 10:01   #418
BHPian

Quote:

Following is the list of key qualities I am looking for in my upcoming car:
All your needs point to one car - Fiesta Classic 1.6P. I my self have a 1.4P (Rare gem), ask any 1.6 owner and they will vouch for it. Also, i have never had a single problem regarding to spares. As long as you stick to an authorized Ford dealership for service and parts, the car will last forever. The figo, even though a brilliant car, does not have a punchy petrol (1.2P).

Just an example, something like this - https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=3&isP=false

This one is too new and is hence priced higher. But you can search for similar examples in your locality.

I found one on car wale, new fiesta auto for 4L - https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=1&isP=false
Old 3rd June 2018, 20:30   #419
BHPian

Hi,

In the market for a new hatch. Petrol preferred since drives restricted to city mostly, so don't want the hassle of heavy clutch/ turbo lag (also the increased cost does't make sense to me with comparable fuel prices). Have shortlisted the swift (manual), baleno and polo gt tsi.

Baleno concerns :
1. Update coming next year. Would this make the current model go old soon?
2. Build quality (esp regarding safety : how does this weigh < 1 ton?)
3. Interior parts quality - seems average at best.

Swift : Points 2 & 3 above

Polo :
1. Major concern is DSG long term reliability. Looking at long-term ownership with driving duties shared between parents and me. Does it require special care while driving? Concerned if the autobox fails post warranty.
2. VAG maintenance quality and costs. Owners in Bengaluru can chip in here?

Any other cars i should be looking at? Primary needs are ease of operation (for parents age ~60), fun to drive factor, quality of interiors, mileage (roughly in that order).

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd June 2018, 23:02   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Hi,

Any other cars i should be looking at? Primary needs are ease of operation (for parents age ~60), fun to drive factor, quality of interiors, mileage (roughly in that order).

Thanks in advance.
Freestyle - Easy ingress for older people, better visibility due to raised seating and less worry of potholes/bad roads (190mm GC).
It is also a brand new launch, with a new petrol engine and gearbox (fun to drive factor) along with Ford reliability.
Has a very good safety package on offer. I think you should take a test drive of it.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed