Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 18th August 2018, 13:17   #436
BHPian

Default Re: 10L worthy replacement for the Diesel Etios

If driving on battered roads is expected, I would advice against Jazz. It can take bad roads but not regularly compared to few other cars.

S-Cross or Duster is a good choice in my opinion. Amaze Diesel is an option too but not sure if its ground clearance and suspension is better than that of Jazz.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 13:47   #437
BHPian

Along with S-Cross, I would also be eyeing the upcoming Ciaz facelift. Oodles of space, same engine as S-Cross, and a very comfortable back seat. They can also have a look at availability of current Ciaz Zeta/Alpha variant, as it comes packed with features and has discounts in tune of a lakh, which might bring it in the budget. The facelift is not changing the diesel engine, and top end of new model would almost certainly be outside their budget.

Hondas, while a good option, don't handle bad roads particularly well. The only option I would consider is WR-V because of its higher ground clearance, but the variants would not fall in your relative's budget.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 14:06   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, as an Etios owner who has been looking for a similar tough diesel car that can be abused since a while - options are limited.
However, since you mentioned boot space isn't a criteria, my pick would be the following:

1) S Cross - nice interiors, superb suspension, can take a fair bit of abuse.
2) Tata Nexon
3) Duster / Terrano
4) IF he can stretch his budget, the Hyundai Creta.

If he's opened to pre-owned, look for a good condition diesel Corolla if you spot any.

I wouldn't recommend a light build car for abuse, or those that are prone to rattles like other Marutis, Hondas, etc. Nothing makes a car feel older and more weary than rattles creeping in.
Old 18th August 2018, 14:51   #439
BHPian

The fact that he wants to change from Etios, which was built to a cost and specifically aimed at emerging markets, there are options aplenty. Though the ₹ 10L factor restricts the choices that he can make, there are still decent cars to be found in that bracket. Nexon comes to mind as a well-rounded package in diesel. It has the following going for it :-
  • Safety - one of the few Indian cars in this bracket that got Four Stars in NCAP.
  • Space - can seat 5 with ease, and a large airy cabin.
  • Powerful tractable motor with110 BHP 260 NM on tap.
  • Classy modern interiors - Horizon Next styling shows through.
  • Large tyres & sufficient ground clearance for broken, pothole ridden roads.
  • Bells and whistles - a fair bit of them.
  • Smaller footprint - sub 4m.
The one negative that I can think of when compared to Etios is the much smaller boot space. But then as you have mentioned, that is not of much concern, you may choose to not consider it.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 18th August 2018 at 14:53. Reason: Structure
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 14:54   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly, as an Etios owner who has been looking for a similar tough diesel car that can be abused since a while -
He'll get a new car for sure. Both his and my brain/heart is suggesting the S-Cross. Only the TD experience shall tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Along with S-Cross, I would also be eyeing the upcoming Ciaz facelift.
Ciaz has a huge overall footprint. That's why it was never shortlisted. Otherwise that's the most VFM 3-box sedan to buy presently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Rather than consider Jazz, he could consider Amaze CVT. The Honda diesel is noisy but very frugal and driveable.
I am a little skeptical whether Honda's diesel would manage to match Maruti. However, I guess TDing both cars would turn the decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
You may have a look at Mahindra TUV300. I have been using a TUV300 T8 since December 2015 and happy with overall performance.
TUV300 is super-imposing and has a huge footprint. Thus never brought into the list.

BTW, does buying in the present day Etios make any sense ( as there is no chatter about a diesel Yaris ) ?
Old 18th August 2018, 14:58   #441
Senior - BHPian

The most worthy replacement to an Etios is another Etios/Etios Cross.

Alternatively, he could look at a pre-owned Innova of 2013 vintage.Even a GX has a reasonably good safety kit.

Knowing resale rates in your part of the country,you can get good pre-owned examples.
Old 18th August 2018, 17:33   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
BTW, does buying in the present day Etios make any sense ( as there is no chatter about a diesel Yaris ) ?
Honestly - you will be literally getting the same car and though it may seem nice for a couple of years - the boredom will kick in.
They have definitely improved on the creature comforts by adding an armrest, new seat design, etc. though.
Having lived with the S-Cross & Etios side by side - the S-Cross interior ambience is a notch higher, GC makes going on bad roads that much easier, especially coupled with the stiffer suspension that flattens out bumps (not that the Etios is bad, but on poor roads the S-Cross does a better job barring the side-side movements owing to it's higher centre of gravity), and most importantly - the zeta variant is fairly well loaded and should keep your cousin happy for another few years in terms of creature comforts (touch screen ice, reverse camera, navigation, etc.).
What he will miss though: The Etios's stellar reliability, the S-Cross is prone to more rattles but build quality is better than other Maruti's, small turning radius, and stellar fuel economy - probably better than the S-Cross due to weight difference and engine tuning (turbo lag).
However, there is no denying the Etios is a very friendly city car!

The Amaze, though a brilliant car - isn't as spacious as the Etios (headroom especially), the road manners aren't as neutral (great for city, average on highway - a little bouncy on undulations), and the light build + ownership reports of rattly cities has me worried about the rattles on the Amaze over repeated hard use.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 17:39   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
The fact that he wants to change from Etios, which was built to a cost and specifically aimed at emerging markets, there are options aplenty. Though the ₹ 10L factor restricts the choices that he can make, there are still decent cars to be found in that bracket. Nexon comes to mind as a well-rounded package in diesel. It has the following going for it :-
  • Safety - one of the few Indian cars in this bracket that got Four Stars in NCAP.
  • Space - can seat 5 with ease, and a large airy cabin.
  • Powerful tractable motor with110 BHP 260 NM on tap.
  • Classy modern interiors - Horizon Next styling shows through.
  • Large tyres & sufficient ground clearance for broken, pothole ridden roads.
  • Bells and whistles - a fair bit of them.
  • Smaller footprint - sub 4m.
The one negative that I can think of when compared to Etios is the much smaller boot space. But then as you have mentioned, that is not of much concern, you may choose to not consider it.

Cheers !
Wouldn't the freestyle provide most of these advantages (except the safety rating which is as yet unavailable if I'm not mistaken) at a lower price?
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 23:21   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Wouldn't the freestyle provide most of these advantages (except the safety rating which is as yet unavailable if I'm not mistaken) at a lower price?
The Nexon will score in the following areas over Freestyle IMO:
  • Safety (4 * NCAP)
  • Power/Torque (Nexon's 110BHP/260NM vs Freestyle's 99BHP/210NM)
  • 6 Speed Vs 5 Speed - relaxed cruising on highways
  • Larger Car hence more space and comfort, larger boot too(350L vs 257L).
  • Harman designed ICE spcifically designed and tuned for the cabin - better than the rest.
  • Better ground clearance (209mm), larger tyres.
  • DRL, Projector Lights, Cornering Fog Lamps
  • A whole lot of 'features' in keeping with the competition.
Hope that clears the air a bit !

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 10:08   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly - you will be literally getting the same car and though it may seem nice for a couple of years - the boredom will kick in.
If he is willing to forgo the diesel benefits and choose a Petrol model, would the Yaris be still a worthy option?
He's hooked to the Toyota reliability, and is willing to trade off the extra expenses for a peaceful drive/mind.

Some people have had genuine concerns regarding the rattling issues prone in the Hondas and the Marutis.

Quote:
The Nexon will score in the following areas over Freestyle IMO
Honestly, the 10L bracket has become the hottest segment atm, with multitudes of options. He had a Tata Indica, which he sold off in a short term as the experience was very shoddy. He's finding it difficult to venture into Tata again.
Plus, with the Hondas and Marutis available in the same range, the "dad type brand" logic kicks in squishing the newer/updated companies.

Last edited by sharktale : 26th August 2018 at 10:13. Reason: quotes
Old 27th August 2018, 14:52   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If he is willing to forgo the diesel benefits and choose a Petrol model, would the Yaris be still a worthy option?
He's hooked to the Toyota reliability, and is willing to trade off the extra expenses for a peaceful drive/mind.

Some people have had genuine concerns regarding the rattling issues prone in the Hondas and the Marutis.
Yaris will be a good option but for the extra safety and creature comfort - you will be trading boot space, fuel efficiency, and space (rear legroom and headroom) and paying a premium (for any model above the base J trim).

As for the rattles - I am very particular about these. Unfortunately our road conditions in Mumbai are quite horrible at the moment and you'll see a few of my ownership threads lamenting on the rattles too - Skoda, etc.
Heck, one of the main reasons for not buying a Honda City / Jazz + Ciaz has always been rattles and there is no doubt the Etios did a fantastic job at keeping them at bay.
In fact, we owned a Corolla back in 2003, bought the Liva in 2011, Etios is 2013, and Corolla in 2017! Should speak about how much I respect Toyota as a brand!

That being said - the S-Cross has done 23.5Kkm and has held up quite well so far! It won't be an etios in terms of long term reliability and rattles, but it'll still come quite close (especially the reliability).
New Hyundai's too are fairly well built if you want to look at the base Creta / Verna as an option.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 23:32   #447
BHPian

Default Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Posting on behalf of a relative.

Introduction :

Present Shortlist :

He's only having the S-Cross Facelift in mind presently.

a) Is Jazz a worthy competition to the S-Cross? Also, is the diesel engine frugal yet driveable like it's petrol counterpart?

b) Is Amaze also worth considering?
Cheers!
Quote:
He had a Tata Indica, which he sold off in a short term as the experience was very shoddy. He's finding it difficult to venture into Tata again.
Plus, with the Hondas and Marutis available in the same range, the "dad type brand" logic kicks in squishing the newer/updated companies.
I was wondering why Nexon was not in consideration when that is currently a hot cake, then saw the above post. I am owning one since July 13th and can vouch for the build quality and sturdiness. Their service has improved a lot when compared to their previous standards, but still a lot to improve to catch up with industry leaders.

For abuse friendly nature - I would suggest to stay away from Hondas.

If not a Nexon for any reason, S-Cross is the best bet.

Now, don't compare either of these with the longevity of a Toyota. May be disappointed. (offlate hearing that even Toyota is trying hard to learn Tata and Maruti ways).
Old 29th September 2018, 16:49   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Yaris will be a good option
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
I was wondering why Nexon was not in consideration.
Quote:
The Nexon will score
He's chosen the Yaris Manual J (Base) Variant Petrol.

Simply because he's bit by the Toyota brand. He had initially thought of changing the car upon seeing the new Yaris on the road.
He didn't go for G variant, as the difference OTR was over 2Lacs, for creature comforts he doesn't really care about. He's a point A to B kinda man.
sharktale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:52   #449
BHPian

Hi all

I'm in the market for a replacement to my 5 year old Tata Indigo eCS. It's now run for over 100k km and the reliability has dropped off a cliff in last 5-6 months. Need advise from the forum on the options.

Requirement in brief
The car is used for my wife's office commute (12 km one-way) and to pickup/drop my in-laws (they stay 30km away) who use it for neighbourhood errands and take the kids to their classes etc.
It is driven exclusively by our driver. So backseat comfort and safety is much more important than any driving pleasure or ICE/Gizmo.
Typical usage - single passenger in the back for 50% time, 2 Adults with 2 6-year olds for 25-30% of time, only driver remaining time.
Given the distances, 70-80km is the average weekday running.

Questions
1. Petrol or Diesel
5 years back diesel was a no-brainer for this. Is that still the case?

2. New or Used
Is it worth buying a new car? Can I look at 3-year old low-run options? Issue is that most of the options are petrol variants.
Btw, used Swift / i20 are barely 15% lower than new.

3. Hatch or Compact sedan
Primary consideration being what value the sedan gets for the additional 80-100K other than boot space.

4. Safety
Given that my focus is on the back-seat, is there any benefit in aiming for the higher variants with airbags

Contenders
Given my upper limit of ₹8 lakhs all-inclusive
1. Maruti Swift: Like the looks but seems pricey in the Vxi/Vdi variants
2. Hyundai Grand i10: Well put together. Seems even more pricey for the space offered
3. Toyota Liva: Practical no frills. Oodles of space and ride comfort
4. Ford Figo/Freestyle: Only added because of the goodwill they enjoy on this forum
5. Tata Tigor: While family is against another Tata, something tells me it has changed and the new products "might" age better.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:16   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post
4. Safety
Given that my focus is on the back-seat, is there any benefit in aiming for the higher variants with airbags
I would put this as the primary focus along with 80 km weekday running. In your budget of 8 lakhs, you have the following to consider.

Stretch budget by a lakh, and get a Ford Freestyle Titanium+ Diesel. The car is equipped with 6 airbags, so rear safety would be amongst the best in the price range.

In the budget or with a minor stretch, you could get Aspire Titanium+ MT Petrol. Same proposition as above, but with better rear seat comfort, with higher fuel costs. The lower diesel models can be in consideration too.

If not these, look at Tata Nexon. It scored very well in safety tests, and the rear seat is pretty comfortable too.

Finally, instead of looking at Swift, look at its elder Nexa brother, the Baleno. Much more comfortable rear seat at the same price.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed