Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 23rd October 2018, 19:36   #451
BHPian

Default Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Hi All,

I’m looking for a new hatchback and couldn't decide between the below,

My requirements
• Will be using for 8-10 years
• Usage of 750 per month and 1 or 2 trips of 1500 per year
• The car will be occupied by 3 mostly and occasional 5
• Handling
• Space

I’ve narrowed down to,
Elite i20 Asta 1.2 8.44 OTR Chennai (7.9 after discounts)
Pros – Space, service, reliability, looks
Cons – Price, replacement by mid 2020, ground clearance
Freestyle Titanium Petrol 7.7 OTR Chennai (7.68 after discounts)
Pros – Ground clearance, handling, touch display
Cons – space, reliability, service
Freestyle Titanium Diesel 8.7 OTR (8.5 after discounts)
Pros – Ground clearance, handling, fuel efficiency, well known engine, touch display
Cons – space, service
I’m inclined towards i20 because of the discounts and android play but Freestyle has better ground clearance , better touch display and safety (TCS, Hill hold assistance and ESP)

Also, I have an eye on Ecosport 1.5 Trend petrol (9.9 OTR) as well – Price, which is at least 75k over my budget and F.E are the ones stopping me.

Note : My initial idea was to wait until December / January to reap in more discounts, however, I don't think I would get more than 60k for i20 even if I wait and I have a risk of not getting the coloror/ variant I need.

Any suggestions / advice?

Thanks in advance
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:53   #452
BHPian

Suggest you to go with Ford freestyle. Just the android play in no way can match the safety features in Freestyle.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 23:51   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satheesh1909 View Post
Also, I have an eye on Ecosport 1.5 Trend petrol (9.9 OTR) as well – Price, which is at least 75k over my budget and F.E are the ones stopping me.
If SUV is something you desire, why not checkout Nexon XZ, its about 60-70k less than Ecosport Trend. For that it offers lots more features including Android Auto, good safety, and decent power.

However, to keep the car for 10 years, you may want to stick to traditional and popular vehicles which you would have no difficulties in maintaining. Also it would be wise to stretch your budget if you find a better car. A difference of lakh could easily be overcome in EMIs and the price of convenience. You also want to avoid diesels as 10 years later, their value would be significantly low.

My shortlist (in order) would be:
  1. Honda Amaze
  2. Maruti Baleno
  3. Hyundai i20 (maintenance would become costlier with time)
  4. Honda WR-V
  5. Wait for Ertiga(longer than the top 4)

The automatics could also be in consideration here, particularly Honda Amaze.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 23:25   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
If SUV is something you desire, why not checkout Nexon XZ, its about 60-70k less than Ecosport Trend. For that it offers lots more features including Android Auto, good safety, and decent power.

However, to keep the car for 10 years, you may want to stick to traditional and popular vehicles which you would have no difficulties in maintaining. Also it would be wise to stretch your budget if you find a better car. A difference of lakh could easily be overcome in EMIs and the price of convenience. You also want to avoid diesels as 10 years later, their value would be significantly low.

My shortlist (in order) would be:
  1. Honda Amaze
  2. Maruti Baleno
  3. Hyundai i20 (maintenance would become costlier with time)
  4. Honda WR-V
  5. Wait for Ertiga(longer than the top 4)

The automatics could also be in consideration here, particularly Honda Amaze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Suggest you to go with Ford freestyle. Just the android play in no way can match the safety features in Freestyle.
Thanks guys! I've booked Elite i20 Asta petrol
satheesh1909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:33   #455
Senior - BHPian

In the market to buy a hatchback for my sister who is a first time driver. Looking below the 6 L mark budget.
Her driving requirement is about 500 kms of city drive and occasionally about 500+ kms on highway which would be once in 3 months.
Have short listed Santro Magna MT and Ignis Sigma as of now. Any more suggestions ?
I am pushing her for Santro Magna AMT.
Old 25th November 2018, 17:15   #456
Senior - BHPian

Default The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Folks need some serious advice!

Contemplating on a B2 hatchback.

Here is a quick background. We are a small family, my 6 year old son, my wife and myself, based out of Bangalore. We have always had 2 cars. The first pair was a Dzire and a Alto. The Dzire made way for a Rapid diesel way back in 2012. And the Alto was exchanged for a pre owned Brio S OMT sometime in 2014.

Earlier this year in March 2018, after 6 years and 60,000 kms in Rapid, and after a lot of feedback from bhpians, the Rapid made way for a Creta 1.6 SX diesel.

The Brio is the one up for discussion now. Its a 2012 pre owned car which we bought in 2014. Its clocked just under 30k and its still in decent condition.

Year end discounts and also the fact that the production of Brio has been stopped, had got me thinking. My view was that if I could get a decent value for the Brio, then I can pitch in some money and look at a car at around 6 lakhs. So Brio needs to be sold for 3 lakhs at the worst case and then I thought the rest 3 can be managed.

So 6 lakhs on road is my outer limit for a hatch back, preferably from Hyundai or Suzuki since my wife is going to be driving it. And in any case there are not many options outside of these two, except the Tiago.

So the list is like this, the Grand i10 Magna, the Elite i20 Era, or the Suzuki Swift LXi and the last option is the Baleno Sigma.

Post some initial discussions with a few Hyundai and Maruti dealers, the prices look like this.

The Grand i10 magna which is around 7.1 lakhs on road, can be had for around 6.30.

The Elite i20 Era which is 6.7 on road can be had for 6.10.

The Swift Lxi which costs around 6.15, can be had for 5.80.

The Baleno, well I have not checked with a Nexa dealer as yet, but im guessing this too after year end discounts may come around 6.20 since on road right now is around 6.7.

The usage is very simple, about 10-15 kms a day, only in the city. My wife drives my son to school and we take it out to for short runs in the weekend. Probably we would never drive it more than 30-40 kms at a stretch in any given day. For the highway we have the Creta 1.6 Diesel anyway.

All of the 4 come with Dual airbags, ABS and EBD. So safety is more or less the same across. And all of them have no ACC or Rear wiper, washers and defoggers. And no alloys on any of these since they are all the base variants.

So, the Grand i10 is the most value for the buck, has high discounts, and since its the Magna version it has most essentials taken care of. But my wife does not seem to like it, and there is also a new gen Grand i10 just next year.

Second up, my favourite is the Elite i20, it looks very good. The overall quality levels are top notch. Yes, the Era variant is pretty basic. I need to get a basic touchscreen audio, which would not cost more than 10-15k. But the biggest issue is the lack of rear power windows and remote locking. I do not know if we can install rear power windows and how it would hold up, and warranty etc. so this is the only big turn off. Other small accessories can be added over time.

The Swift Lxi too has the same issue as the Elite i20. No rear power windows. But I guess adding these in a Maruti is easier than in Hyundai and im sure Maruti accessories guys would take care of this, whereas the Hyundai guys were not willing to install it from their side, even if I paid up.

But what turns me off is reported flimsy quality levels in Suzukis these days. My wife has had a couple of incidents in the Brio, small ones of course, and the Brio sheet metal is pathetic. And im getting a feeling that the Swift may be more of the same.

The Baleno, I have not explore it as yet. But my guess is that it makes better sense to buy the Swift, if it is a good 30-40k cheaper, especially when im on this tight budget. I could use the extra savings to get a HU and the rear power windows.

So whats the take on the above 4? The Elite i20 stands out as the most premium looking, the Grand i10 the most VFM, and the Swift probably the easier to fiddle with electronic additions like rear power windows etc.

Boot space, rear seat comfort and all that does not matter. Its just my wife and kid during the week, for about 10-15 kms a day.

Looking at my scenario, what would you guys recommend and why?

Last edited by motorworks : 25th November 2018 at 17:17.
Old 25th November 2018, 21:33   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Boot space, rear seat comfort and all that does not matter. Its just my wife and kid during the week, for about 10-15 kms a day.

I would recommend you to continue using the Honda Brio for some more years, it is the perfect city car, its compact enough so your wife can handle easily and since boot space is not an issue, an upgrade to a bigger car would hardly be an upgrade for you.

So do not sell the Brio, give it a good wash and continue using it
Old 26th November 2018, 09:32   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Folks need some serious advice!

I would keep the Brio for a year plus as newer cars break more capital and instead save the EMI equivalent for a year (12-14 months) towards a better spec-ed car like the new polo / polo GT / new Jazz - basically a top end model with all the creature comforts, safety, etc.

I too have a 6 year old and we have 3 cars in our garage. A tata safari 2012 which is now due for an upgrade, an ertiga and a ciaz. Before the Ciaz we had a Ritz and in our experience the smallest car is most used one - so having a comfy top end one would pay for itself with use. In all probability we will be trading the Safari for such a compact - small car.
Old 26th November 2018, 20:50   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
I would recommend you to continue using the Honda Brio for some more years, it is the perfect city car, its compact enough so your wife can handle easily and since boot space is not an issue, an upgrade to a bigger car would hardly be an upgrade for you.

So do not sell the Brio, give it a good wash and continue using it

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay View Post
I would keep the Brio for a year plus as newer cars break more capital and instead save the EMI equivalent for a year (12-14 months) towards a better spec-ed car like the new polo / polo GT / new Jazz - basically a top end model with all the creature comforts, safety, etc.

I too have a 6 year old and we have 3 cars in our garage. A tata safari 2012 which is now due for an upgrade, an ertiga and a ciaz. Before the Ciaz we had a Ritz and in our experience the smallest car is most used one - so having a comfy top end one would pay for itself with use. In all probability we will be trading the Safari for such a compact - small car.

Thanks for the inputs, very valid ones.

The only reason im contemplating is that my Brio is a 2012 one and Im the 2nd owner. If I try to sell now I can try to get around 3.2 lakhs and plus there are ample discounts in the year end. So I need to invest only around 3.3 to get a decent ride like even the i20. If I wait till the mid of next year the Brio starts to look at 2.2 or 2.5 since that is anyway the kind of quotes im getting now from car dealers and few other individuals. So the idea was to exit with minimal loss.

Anyway, im waiting on the final call of a few individual buyers for the Brio, and if I get like 3.2 then I will let it go.

Im yet to test drive the Swift or the Baleno, but based on the initial discussions with Maruti dealers, it does look like the discounts on the Swift are not much. Just around 15-20k all inclusive. And in spite of these discounts it still makes the Swift VXi a 7 lakh car! On the contrary Hyundai dealers are offering better deals, and the i20 Era is being offered for 6.10 and the Magna variant at 6.80, all on road. This means that I get nearly 70k off on both of these variants. And my feeling is that the i20 is a far better all rounder than the Swift, especially if they are available at the same price.

Any feedback and ownership reviews on the Elite i20 would be welcome.

Or is there an alternative to the Elite i20 at this price?
Old 26th November 2018, 22:55   #460
AYP
BHPian

Quote:
I'd advice you against going for the base variants,i.e. the Swift LXI, the Baleno Sigma and the i20 Era as they are too basic and even with some after market additions, they still won't feel premium and won't have the same finesse as a higher variant. I'd highly suggest the Grand i10 Magna.

Though if the wifey is strongly against going for the Grand i10, then you might want to check out the Ignis Delta which has all the basics covered just like the Grand i10. If you can get past the looks, it is a quite peppy car to drive and should be a good replacement for your Brio. You may also want to check the Honda Amaze E and the Aspire Trend though you may not get any discounts on these cars.

Last edited by AYP : 26th November 2018 at 22:57.
Old 27th November 2018, 11:01   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Or is there an alternative to the Elite i20 at this price?
Your thought process is more about numbers and getting what you need within that number.. welcome to the number one dilemma of car buyers world-wide, suffice to say that this thought process makes things very difficult.

I've learnt the hard way that one needs to spend the maximum possible to get what he/she wants so that the next few years are complaint free and so that one may be satisfied with the ownership for a long time (a necessity when it comes to cars). Also I needn't mention that the higher the variant, the higher the resale would be as gadgets, features etc are a big attraction to Indian used car buyers, that and keeping it shiny clean would ensure a big resale.

Few cars are as suitable for women as the Grand i10, it has very comfortable seating, mature ride-quality and great visibility. The i20 as is expected of a large hatch.. has better build quality, better luxury feel and lesser NVH but it does come at a price.. I think its better to buy a higher variant of either of those than compromise just for 50k +/-. I'd just as well suggest Nissan Micra.. it seems to be a hot favorite among women but it has the same problems that you seem to want to escape when it comes to the Brio - outdated, can be withdrawn or face-lifted anytime soon and value will fall like a brick unless you're lucky to sell to a Uber guy, otherwise its quite a good hatch and the discounts next month will be quite high given its poor sales.

I think the best car in this discussion is the i20 and the most VFM is the Grand i10 as you've already mentioned. If you can stretch an i20 middle variant would be the best bet, it would after all, be used for 4-5 years at the very least.
Old 27th November 2018, 22:12   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Your thought process is more about numbers and getting what you need within that number.. welcome to the number one dilemma of car buyers world-wide, suffice to say that this thought process makes things very difficult.

Few cars are as suitable for women as the Grand i10, it has very comfortable seating, mature ride-quality and great visibility. The i20 as is expected of a large hatch.. has better build quality, better luxury feel and lesser NVH but it does come at a price.. I think its better to buy a higher variant of either of those than compromise just for 50k +/-. I'd just as well suggest Nissan Micra.. it seems to be a hot favorite among women but it has the same problems that you seem to want to escape when it comes to the Brio - outdated, can be withdrawn or face-lifted anytime soon and value will fall like a brick unless you're lucky to sell to a Uber guy, otherwise its quite a good hatch and the discounts next month will be quite high given its poor sales.

I think the best car in this discussion is the i20 and the most VFM is the Grand i10 as you've already mentioned. If you can stretch an i20 middle variant would be the best bet, it would after all, be used for 4-5 years at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I'd advice you against going for the base variants,i.e. the Swift LXI, the Baleno Sigma and the i20 Era as they are too basic and even with some after market additions, they still won't feel premium and won't have the same finesse as a higher variant. I'd highly suggest the Grand i10 Magna.

Though if the wifey is strongly against going for the Grand i10, then you might want to check out the Ignis Delta which has all the basics covered just like the Grand i10. If you can get past the looks, it is a quite peppy car to drive and should be a good replacement for your Brio. You may also want to check the Honda Amaze E and the Aspire Trend though you may not get any discounts on these cars.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Unfortunately, i seem to lack choices, for a good B segment car, since I ruled out any car from Maruti!

So why no Maruti? First up, the price. The Swift VXI on road Bangalore is nearly the same as the i20 Magna! They have more or less the same features, but the i20 feels like a premium car any given day. I admit have not test driven the Swift yet, but the car feels very light and flimsy, nothing like Hyundai. So for the same price, my view is that the i20 is a better value proposition.

And the other Baleno, well I would have considered it, but unlike the i20, the 2nd Variant is a lot more expensive, although there are a lot of extra features like touchscreen HU and ACC etc. so the mid variant, Delta, costs nearly 7.4 on road after some consumer discounts.

I even checked out the freestyle, again no test drive but, here again there seem to variant issues. Almost all ford dealers claim that the base variant Ambiente is not available. And im not sure if I would have bought this either since it does not have rear power windows. And the mid level variants like Trend and Trend + are more than 7.3 on road after all offers.

And the final car in consideration was the Tiago XZA. The on road price of the XZA after all discounts is exactly the same as the price Hyundai is offering me for the i20 Manual magna. 6.7 L on road. Its loaded with all necessary features like alloys, rear wiper and defogger. No ACC though. I did test drive the car just earlier this evening, and although the auto seems to be a huge boon, not sure if the wifey wants one. Her reqmt is rather simple, a hatchback that is better than her current drive, which is a Brio. She is not very particular about an Auto since her daily drive is not more than 10-15 kms.
I would have loved an auto, my thought was that I can alternate between my Creta and an auto hatch back once in a while. But that would be a rare scenario, since my wifey is not used to a big car like the Creta and is not keen on driving it in the city at all.

Also, another thing about the Tiago was that it felt almost like the Brio in terms of quality levels, the sheer metal, some cheap bits like the lock system, and somehow the car felt just right for may be 5-5.5 lakhs. When you go closer to 7 lakhs, for sure the premium feel is missing. Obviously auto is the big difference.

Anyway, it looks like we will end up finalising the Elite i20 magna. It has most basic safety features and absolutely all necessary equipment. The biggest misses would be a lack of rear defogger and wiper. But like I said our reqmt is 10-20 kms a day, and my wife has been using the Brio in Bangalore for the last 4 years without these anyway. And considering her limited usage, I do not think we will miss this.

The final quote from the Hyundai dealer is 6.75, which does not include extended warranty, which I figure I will buy later. If all goes well, then we should look at getting thr car in the next 10 days.

About 8 months back, I had a Skoda Rapid and a Brio. I did not for a moment think I will own one Hyundai. And then we bought the Creta 1.6 SX diesel and here we are about to buy the second Hyundai! Unlikeliest of choices, but seems right!
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 10:08   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Few cars are as suitable for women as the Grand i10...
I'm quite sure lot of women would also agree, but frankly, it's all in the mind.

I know women from my parents' generation who used to drive Ambassadors between Bangalore and Ooty, to Goa and Mumbai - no power steering, hairpin bends, heavy, large car. I've been on a couple of those trips as a kid myself.

I don't see why even these days we should be classifying vehicles as better suited to one gender or the other. They're all designed to be as suitable for one gender as they are for the other.

As a man who has been licensed to drive for 21 years now, I too find a small car more convenient than an SUV in the city!

Last edited by am1m : 28th November 2018 at 10:09.
Old 1st December 2018, 23:41   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
In the market to buy a hatchback for my sister who is a first time driver. Looking below the 6 L mark budget.
Her driving requirement is about 500 kms of city drive and occasionally about 500+ kms on highway which would be once in 3 months.
Have short listed Santro Magna MT and Ignis Sigma as of now. Any more suggestions ?
I am pushing her for Santro Magna AMT.
The new Santro is a bit overpriced according to me. So Ignis would be preferred rather than Santro.

Also with the huge discounts being offered right now, you can easily get the delta variant under 6L mark.

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 19:52   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, it looks like we will end up finalising the Elite i20 magna. It has most basic safety features and absolutely all necessary equipment. The biggest misses would be a lack of rear defogger and wiper. But like I said our reqmt is 10-20 kms a day, and my wife has been using the Brio in Bangalore for the last 4 years without these anyway. And considering her limited usage, I do not think we will miss this.

The final quote from the Hyundai dealer is 6.75, which does not include extended warranty, which I figure I will buy later. If all goes well, then we should look at getting thr car in the next 10 days.

About 8 months back, I had a Skoda Rapid and a Brio. I did not for a moment think I will own one Hyundai. And then we bought the Creta 1.6 SX diesel and here we are about to buy the second Hyundai! Unlikeliest of choices, but seems right!

So we took delivery of the Elite i20 this morning. My wife and 6.5 yr old son picked the new Orange as their colour of choice! Not really something I would have picked, but guess such bright colours work in hatchbacks.

This is the Magna Executive variant, so not really well equipped. Its got all the basics covered like dual airbags, ABS, EBD, all 4 power windows, basic 2 din audio system etc. Weirdly it did not come with remote locking, so asked the dealer to install Autocops remote locking system at an extra cost. Also paid for reverse parking sensors and camera plus the rear parcel tray.

Initial impressions, the car feels premium, super silent, you can hardly hear the engine. You would mistake the car to be off when its in idle. Its also very spacious and overall quality levels are quite good. We were actually in the market to buy something around 6.25-6.5 lakhs after selling our Brio for around 3.2. But the year end discounts on the i20 made it a good deal. The variant which we bought, Magna executive is originally priced at around 7.5 lakhs on road, Bangalore. We struck a deal for 6.75, which is a good 70k off. So for our original budget if 6.75, we could have only been able to afford cars like the grand i10, but sort of managed to jump to the next segment.

Like I said earlier, this is our second Hyundai in 10 months, first was the Creta SX 1.6 Diesel bought in feb earlier this year. And after 7000kms in the Creta, I can safely say that Hyundai has managed to find a balance between decent build quality, interior fit and finish and also ease of use and maintenance. I used to always think that Ford offered the middle ground between the Japanese and European cars. But Hyundai is sort of in that space too.
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed