Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2018, 23:36   #466
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US/India
Posts: 273
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

In the market for a small hatchback for city use. Looking at i10 grand and the new Santo. Would prefer the AT on both but for some weird reason, Hyundai doesn't offer AT on the top trim Asta variant, even though i20 has AT Asta. Are there any year end discount on the i10 grand? I checked on Carwale for the Asta and got 8.05 Lac on road in Bangalore. No way in hell i am spending that much for a city run about. The Santo feels a bit too basic but if price seems adequate, i might just get it. Haven't visited the dealership yet. Will do it sometime this week. Might have to settle for the manual just because there is no AT on the top trim cost permitting.

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 2nd December 2018 at 23:37.
naveenvenkatesh is offline  
Old 3rd December 2018, 01:09   #467
BHPian
 
DPetrolHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Delhi
Posts: 65
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
In the market for a small hatchback for city use. Looking at i10 grand and the new Santo. Would prefer the AT on both but for some weird reason, Hyundai doesn't offer AT on the top trim Asta variant, even though i20 has AT Asta. Are there any year end discount on the i10 grand? I checked on Carwale for the Asta and got 8.05 Lac on road in Bangalore. No way in hell i am spending that much for a city run about. The Santo feels a bit too basic but if price seems adequate, i might just get it. Haven't visited the dealership yet. Will do it sometime this week. Might have to settle for the manual just because there is no AT on the top trim cost permitting.
Even the i20 does not come in the top end Asta(o) variant in AT.
The Grand i10 is having discounts upto 75k and should be the one you should go with. It has a better engine, smooth AT, much more equipped and plush than the santro. The FE is low in Grand i10 though. True that neither one in AT comes in the top end variant but the convenience of Automatic, especially in bangalore traffic will be more useful than a few other gizmos.
After the discounts, I guess the Grand i10 AT will be a better deal than Santro AMT.

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline  
Old 3rd December 2018, 20:57   #468
Senior - BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,451
Thanked: 2,313 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
In the market for a small hatchback for city use. Looking at i10 grand and the new Santo. Would prefer the AT on both but for some weird reason, Hyundai doesn't offer AT on the top trim Asta variant, even though i20 has AT Asta. Are there any year end discount on the i10 grand? I checked on Carwale for the Asta and got 8.05 Lac on road in Bangalore. No way in hell i am spending that much for a city run about. The Santo feels a bit too basic but if price seems adequate, i might just get it. Haven't visited the dealership yet. Will do it sometime this week. Might have to settle for the manual just because there is no AT on the top trim cost permitting.

The Santro AMT variant does not have a passenger airbag and thats a huge draw back. Not just from a safety perspective, but also from the fact that most cars are set to have dual airbags and ABS standard from 2020 to meet local crash norms. So when you decide to sell the Santro 5-6 years later, the missing passenger airbag would be a talking point. Plus, I was told by one of the Hyundai dealers here in Bangalore that Hyundai may make dual airbags standard in the Santro from early or mid next year.

Grand i10 is pretty good car, but if you are not going to get the AT, then look around at the i20, there are good discounts on both, but more on the i10. I started off on the same note, wanted an affordable auto at around 6.5 lakhs, got none except the Tiago, wifey did not like the Tiago and nor the i10 Grand, made a quick deal for a i20 Magna Manual at 6.75 and got the car home 2 days ago!
motorworks is offline  
Old 18th March 2019, 14:35   #469
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 433
Thanked: 935 Times
Default Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Folks,
My uncle is looking to buy a new car. This will be his 2nd car. He presently owns a 10-year old Alto which he will be selling soon.
He is not interested in pre-owned cars. His budget is 6.7 lakhs (ex-showroom, Bangalore). His running in city is limited. Mostly it will be used for highway trips of 2-4 people. Also, overall running will be low - So it HAS to be a Petrol, Manual transmission, hatchback.


Background: I was unaware that he had booked a Baleno 2 months ago. During our conversation earlier this month, I had told him to consider crash ratings and build quality as a parameter in his considerations. After this discussion, he has gone and cancelled the Baleno booking since he was not convinced of its build quality and structural strength. He told me this yesterday and says he is unnerved by the thin sheet metal and light-weight of the chassis. He has asked me for suggestions in this regard.


His priorities (in the following order):
1. Safety (ABS+ Dual airbags minimum)
2. Good suspension to handle bad roads
3. Should be comfortable for 4 people; But should be able to squeeze the occasional 5th passenger
4. Reasonable cost of maintenance
5. Peace of mind during ownership

In terms of engine & powertrain performance, I dont think my uncle will care much about mid-range punch or top-end. The car is not expected to be driven very enthusiastically. In terms of interiors quality, NVH etc. his expectectations are low since he is upgrading from an Alto.


The problem is many hatchbacks sold in India arent tested yet by GNCAP for crash ratings. So I'll have to make some assumptions on their structural integrity based on gut feeling. I have the following cars in mind for test-drives. Please let me know if I am missing any worthy contenders.

1. Ignis, Variant: Alpha, Price: 6.75 lakhs, ex-showroom; Will this be any better in safety aspect compared to its more popular sibling Swift (2 stars GNCAP)?
2. Tiago, Variant: XZ+, Price: 5.64 lakhs, ex-showroom; Not tested by GNCAP yet. But given the performances by Zest (4-star) and Nexon (5-star), I assume Tiago wouldn't fare too badly.
3. Polo, Variant: Comfortline, Price: 6.50 lakhs, ex-showroom; Not tested by GNCAP yet. Expected to perform well.
4. Freestyle, Variant: Titanium, Price: 6.78 lakhs, ex-showroom; Not tested by GNCAP yet. Expected to perform well.
5. Etios Liva, Variant: VX, Price: 6.45 lakhs, ex-showroom; 4-star rating by GNCAP.
srvm is offline  
Old 18th March 2019, 14:40   #470
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,934
Thanked: 3,494 Times
Default Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
The problem is many hatchbacks sold in India arent tested yet by GNCAP for crash ratings. So I'll have to make some assumptions on their structural integrity based on gut feeling. I have the following cars in mind for test-drives. Please let me know if I am missing any worthy contenders.
I am not sure, but Nexon petrol XM(5-star rated) maybe within striking distance of the budget. Do check it out as well.
Dry Ice is offline  
Old 10th May 2019, 12:31   #471
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 28 Times
Default What can replace my Old Zen - 2005 Model?

Hi
I am a proud owner of Zen 2005 model. I bought it as a short term standby car in 2015 after my return to India. But since then, I have been absolutely in love with this baby. Done several trips to Himalayas. Drove through the country driving from Bangalore to Jaipur, Chandigarh and further to Himalayas.

Having owned a Safari prior to it, I simply love the maneuverability, ease of parking, flexibility to drive on the narrowest roads, non-existent roads. It never seemed to be out of power.

But the old love may not last long as the car is coming to end of life next year once it completes 15 years. I wish Maruti Suzuki hadn't stopped manufacturing this car, else I would have bought a new Zen again..

While I know that "Only a Zen can Replace a Zen", I am forced to look for other options now.. Please help me with the decision making as I know there would be many more serious Zen Lovers in this forum who have to discontinue their beloved baby before 2021.

Here are some of my requirements:

1. Looking for Small, sturdy car with low maintenance cost.
2. Ideally Low roof height so that they are more maneuverable in the mountains.
3. Low weight and high power.
4. A bit higher Ground Clearance than normal cars.
5. I would be usually driving this car alone and may have 3 co-passengers once in a while.
6. Budget should not be more than 8 Lacs.
7. Not looking for Diesel cars.
8. While I am open to other car manufacturers, Maruti Suzuki would have been my first preference.

I was considering Brezza but its available in Diesel version only and its official that Maruti is discontinuing the production of Diesel cars from next year. Also a 1.25L for a big Brezza doesn't do much justice to the power/weight ratio.

Please guide me with your expert opinions.

Best Regards
JP
recker_us is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 12:43   #472
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: What can replace my Old Zen - 2005 Model?

Even my daily driver is a Zen (carbon). Since you're looking at a similar experience, I can suggest Tata Tiago JTP from the current crop of hatches as it satisfies most of your requirements barring the roof hight. Otherwise it's a powerful engine in a small package. TD the car.
All the best!

Last edited by somspaple : 10th May 2019 at 12:45.
somspaple is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 12:55   #473
Distinguished - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,272
Thanked: 2,761 Times
Default Re: What can replace my Old Zen - 2005 Model?

The Zen has been replaced by a new model.
It's called the Swift. And it ticks all the boxes you've listed!

That being said, I would highly highly recommend the following if you are flexible on some requirements:
1) Figo TDCi - better built than the Swift, low weight and cost of maintenance, and the engine is sure to keep you happy!
2) Tiago JTP as suggested above would be a good fun car, but reliability and power especially at higher altitudes could be a point of concern.
3) Toyota Cross 1.5 - light weight, well built, relatively safer than many of it's peers, 1.5L engine with neutral dynamics, and stellar reliability.
Yes - it looks ugly, it has ugly interiors - but once you get over that it would tick all your boxes.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 13:20   #474
Team-BHP Support
 
SmartCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,962
Thanked: 25,603 Times
Default Re: What can replace my Old Zen - 2005 Model?

Having learnt how to drive in a Maruti Zen (in purple!), I can safely say that almost any car in Rs. 8 Lakhs range can replace your 2005 model. Since you prefer a Maruti, go for Brezza diesel - it is unlikely that you will have issues with spare parts availability even 15 years from now. Else, go for any other sub-4m compact SUV
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 13:40   #475
BHPian
 
self_driven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Haryana
Posts: 577
Thanked: 1,280 Times
Default Re: What can replace my Old Zen - 2005 Model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
I was considering Brezza but its available in Diesel version only and its official that Maruti is discontinuing the production of Diesel cars from next year.
If Vitara Brezza as a product fits your requirements, wait till Maruti launches one with a petrol engine. In the compact SUV segment, I feel Ecosport petrol has got the best mix of engine and dynamics. But that will be way off your planned budget of Rs. 8 lakhs.

If you can't wait for Brezza petrol, I would suggest the Ford Freestyle Titanium+ in petrol. Compact, feature loaded and sturdy. I have driven the 1.2-litre 3-cylinder engine for around 50-60 kms and that free revving motor, coupled with Ford's neutral dynamics, makes for a fun time behind the wheel.

Upgrading from a Zen, most of the modern cars will be a step up in space, quality and power. If you're a keen driver and are looking for a go-kart experience, there's nothing better than Ignis petrol manual in that price band. But try to stick to Delta variant as it offers good value.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 13:53   #476
Senior - BHPian
 
vinit.merchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default Re: What can replace my Old Zen - 2005 Model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Hi


1. Looking for Small, sturdy car with low maintenance cost.
2. Ideally Low roof height so that they are more maneuverable in the mountains.
3. Low weight and high power.
4. A bit higher Ground Clearance than normal cars.
5. I would be usually driving this car alone and may have 3 co-passengers once in a while.
6. Budget should not be more than 8 Lacs.
7. Not looking for Diesel cars.
8. While I am open to other car manufacturers, Maruti Suzuki would have been my first preference.


Best Regards
JP
May I suggest you look for a used Honda Brio. It comes as close to the Zen as is possible. Small, low weight, wont run out of power, in your budget, a Petrol. It may be missing out on your requirement of higher ground clearance, but I am sure it will be the same as your outgoing Zen.

Do give it a thought.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 14:50   #477
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 4,171
Thanked: 27,488 Times
Default Re: What can replace my Old Zen - 2005 Model?

I would have recommended a Honda Brio. Unfortunately it's discontinued. The next car which comes to mind is the Swift 1.2L MT. Comparatively light, robust mechnicals, a peppy petrol engine and well sorted road manners.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 15:42   #478
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Even my daily driver is a Zen (carbon). Since you're looking at a similar experience, I can suggest Tata Tiago JTP from the current crop of hatches as it satisfies most of your requirements barring the roof hight. Otherwise it's a powerful engine in a small package. TD the car.
All the best!
Thanks a lot Som.. Tiago JTP is topmost on my list. Just browsed the threads on Tiago JTP and it looks really interesting.. But some of the ownership reviews of Tiago have been scary.. How is your experience till now with it?
Other doubt is that I am relocating to Himachal Pradesh. So, not sure about the TASS for this new car. That might be an area of concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
That being said, I would highly highly recommend the following if you are flexible on some requirements:
1) Figo TDCi - better built than the Swift, low weight and cost of maintenance, and the engine is sure to keep you happy!
Would definitely consider it sir.. Shortlisting it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Having learnt how to drive in a Maruti Zen (in purple!), I can safely say that almost any car in Rs. 8 Lakhs range can replace your 2005 model. Since you prefer a Maruti, go for Brezza diesel - it is unlikely that you will have issues with spare parts availability even 15 years from now. Else, go for any other sub-4m compact SUV
I was hoping that Maruti would launch Gypsy Jiffy. But havent heard of any launch in near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
If Vitara Brezza as a product fits your requirements, wait till Maruti launches one with a petrol engine. In the compact SUV segment, I feel Ecosport petrol has got the best mix of engine and dynamics. But that will be way off your planned budget of Rs. 8 lakhs.

Upgrading from a Zen, most of the modern cars will be a step up in space, quality and power. If you're a keen driver and are looking for a go-kart experience, there's nothing better than Ignis petrol manual in that price band. But try to stick to Delta variant as it offers good value.
You nailed it right sir.. The price is high and I am not able to justify myself as to why use this big car when I would be driving alone 95% of the time.

I drove my friend's Ignis. Someone my driving experience with Ignis has been more subdued compared to my i10 Grand Sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
May I suggest you look for a used Honda Brio. It comes as close to the Zen as is possible. Small, low weight, wont run out of power, in your budget, a Petrol.
I think its getting discontinued in near future.. So, keeping it out for now.

I am also contemplating on the buying an used Army Jeep from the Army Cantt in Ambala for 1.0 - 1.5L and get it modified in Dabwali by spending additional 1.5L. That way I may have a mountain ready robust 4x4 jeep for 3 Lacs.

Any suggestion on the same would be welcomed. Let me also give the disclaimer that this is fancy dream of an enthusiast and I am not sure how my family would react to this idea . But nevertheless why should we stop dreaming??

Last edited by ajmat : 10th May 2019 at 16:18.
recker_us is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 16:14   #479
Distinguished - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,272
Thanked: 2,761 Times
Default Re: What can replace my Old Zen - 2005 Model?

If you're relocating to HP, and see yourself doing a lot of high altitude drives; I would actually recommend the Liva Cross 1.5 for the better GC, build quality, and the NA 1.5L engine mated to a light body.

The Swift would be second on the list.

Generally turbo-ed vehicles don't always perform at their optimal best in higher altitudes so NA would be preferred IIRC.

As an option: I'd look at picking up a pre-owned Liva Cross, and getting a pre-owned off-roader to satisfy the itch.
lamborghini is offline  
Old 10th May 2019, 16:54   #480
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: What can replace my Old Zen - 2005 Model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Thanks a lot Som.. Tiago JTP is topmost on my list. Just browsed the threads on Tiago JTP and it looks really interesting.. But some of the ownership reviews of Tiago have been scary.. How is your experience till now with it?
Other doubt is that I am relocating to Himachal Pradesh. So, not sure about the TASS for this new car. That might be an area of concern.


...
Himachal Pradesh .. abode of Himalayas!! Lucky you!

I've mostly seen only Marutis [mostly Altos] dotting the mountain roads of HP whenever I've been there on treks/trips. I guess ASS is an important factor and I guess MASS is the leader even there. In that case please test drive Ignis Petrol manual [we've an Ignis AMT back home being used by Dad]. Though it is slightly tall but has wide track [same as Swift I guess] and so much fun to drive around [with Manual override option].

Right now I'm looking at an Automatic option considering Bangalore traffic and it would have to be a turbo engine [Diesel/Petrol]. If everything goes smooth, I will have a new 1.6 turbo diesel in next 2 weeks .
somspaple is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks