Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 06:52   #586
BHPian

Re: Buying my first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by veerujoka View Post
I'm buying my first car and need some suggestions.

I would be driving in the city for most of the time. Would drive to Hyderabad and Chennai occasionally (say once in 2 months). Will be driving to nearby weekend getaways around Bengaluru.

My wife would also be driving along with me for office commutes. We wouldn't be driving with more than 5 persons(Mostly it's just me and my wife). Safety is one of the major considerations. Wouldn't like to compromise on it.

Would prefer a car with rear camera/Android Auto and good music system.
Hmm, first car.

Is there any particular reason why you aren’t considering used/preowned? Something that is already cosmetically bruised but mechanically sound, something for you & your wife to cut your teeth on, make some new driver mistakes, learn from them, a platform to become a better driver. Something that won’t cause you heartburn to see your brand new acquisition scraped/scratched badly after a silly parking manoeuvre debacle.

After you have both honed your driving skills and got a preview into car ownership/maintenance costs, sure, go buy that new car you’ve always longed to own.

With that out of the way, I’d recommend a Jazz V CVT (whether new/used) or VX CVT (if you can stretch for it). The Amaze/Yaris (again used) will be a close second.

Congratulations & good luck.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 07:19   #587
Senior - BHPian

I fully agree with ChoosetoCruze. Would like to add that, while getting heart burns due to scrapes, parking mistakes, new driver's mistakes is very common, another common issue that may wilt your driving enthusiasm is, choosing a car that is unreliable, known for niggles and issues as your first car.

Search for horrifying stories of cars that you shortlist(which ever car you go with) and read them in detail. This will give an idea of which car your heart is developing love and affection. Then, take a concious decision. If the car leaves you stranded in the mid of the road, far away from your home, it might hinder your driving enthusiasm.

So, my suggestion would be, go for a car that is popularly known for quality, have good reputation. Say, go with Japanese or Korean cars.

All the best for your new purchase.

Last edited by gkveda : 21st December 2020 at 07:34.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 07:40   #588
BHPian

Quote:
I'm buying my first car and need some suggestions....P.S: And also is it worth waiting for an Altroz DCT/AMT?
I am in the same boat. I had kept budget for S-Presso VXi+ but one test drive of the new Ignis just blew me away. Getting the Zeta AMT as it's the vfm model in the range. Do give it a try.

The space utilisation, visibility and ergonomics are spot on. Was also considering Tiago but the service center is a bit far away as well as it's lower for my aged parents.

All the best.
Old 21st December 2020, 14:38   #589

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Hmm, first car.

Is there any particular reason why you aren’t considering used/preowned? Something that is already cosmetically bruised but mechanically sound, something for you & your wife to cut your teeth on, make some new driver mistakes, learn from them, a platform to become a better driver. Something that won’t cause you heartburn to see your brand new acquisition scraped/scratched badly after a silly parking manoeuvre debacle.

After you have both honed your driving skills and got a preview into car ownership/maintenance costs, sure, go buy that new car you’ve always longed to own.

With that out of the way, I’d recommend a Jazz V CVT (whether new/used) or VX CVT (if you can stretch for it). The Amaze/Yaris (again used) will be a close second.

Congratulations & good luck.
Thanks for your suggestion. Initially I had thought of pre owned cars. I'm slightly apprehensive about pre owned car sellers/aggregators in general. Would be happy to change my opinion. Can you help me with some threads on TeamBHP which can help me navigate through pre owned car market? I'm willing to check out pre owned cars by BHPians. In fact, I'd like to go for a manual one if I'm buying a pre owned car.
veerujoka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 17:40   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Can you help me with some threads on TeamBHP which can help me navigate through pre owned car market? I'm willing to check out pre owned cars by BHPians. In fact, I'd like to go for a manual one if I'm buying a pre owned car.
Sure -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...-used-car.html (ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India)

Just an example of how much you can save buying used - https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...nda/Brio.html/
(I’m in no way promoting/affiliated with the ad/owner)

No matter which used car you buy (or from whom you buy), get it checked thoroughly by a trusted mechanic/ASC, before you buy it.

All the best!
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 05:12   #591
SSO
BHPian

Re: Which is the car with shortest travel/throw of clutch, accelerator and gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If you want to replace an automatic with manual and make the manual sound like automatic, you have to buy a car, not which has a shortest throw.

The point should be to minimize gear shift, long or short throw. Ideally get a car which has good low end torque and high rpm, and ideally matched long ratios which maintain torque for a longer period.
Probably not a practical option, but the perfect car for what you have described is the Ferrari F50. Best gearbox I have ever used. Lots of low end torque and it revs to 8500 rpm.
SSO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 16:19   #592

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Dear All,

Need your expert advice.

I am planning to buy my 1st car and don't want to lock my finances by going in for a new car.

I am mainly looking for a pre-owned car costing up to 5 lakhs.

The reason I ruled out new cars is because even a decently speced i10 will cost me close to 7-8 lakhs on road, whereas a new Jazz and i20 will set me back 9 lakhs on road easily.

My preferred choice is a pre-owned Jazz, 2016 models with ~50K Km on the odo is available for ~4.5-5 lakhs. The choice was arrived based on Honda's solid reliability, it safer than Maruti, decent mileage and good interior space.

Ruled out older i20 because of Playstation like steering and Maruti because of the lack of safety.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 31st December 2020, 02:45   #593
BHPian

Do consider the Ford Figo twins, the Aspire in AT is a good option.
I had the previous gen Figo and it was a hoot to drive.
The Jazz will give you space and Honda refinement, its not fun in the AT version, oh I didn't mention, buy an Automatic, spare your knees the pain of driving in Bombay traffic.
Old 31st December 2020, 17:05   #594
BHPian

Hello all,

Appreciate your advice on my next car.

Current Car
Currently own the Hyundai i10, have had for over 7 years. Quite satisfied with this car but looking now for a new car, considering the car age.

Typical Driving Conditions
  1. City/Highway: 100% in-city driving
  2. Road Conditions: Typically narrow roads, with at times many potholes; sometimes long roads in good condition
  3. Traffic: Often bumper-to-bumper traffic; Many two-wheelers on road, that tend to weave in and out of the car landscape; few roads with limited traffic and feasibility to drive at speed
Requirements for New Car
  1. Low Turning Radius & Small Car Size: The car is entirely intended for city driving. I'm looking for a small car that can easily navigate the city (turning corners that other cars may not be able to), and also park in small parking spots. Size reference is the 7 year old i10 (slightly bigger is okay - should be sub-4m).
  2. Good Safety: I'm ideally looking for a car with many airbags (At least 6 airbags i.e. front, side, curtain. Driver's knee airbag is a plus!), good body structural safety (crumple zones) & safety technology (for e.g., ABS, EBD, Hill Start Assist). Reported 5-star NCAP results are a plus (for e.g., XUV300).
  3. Automatic Transmission: A car that removes the effort of having to change gears. Should offer a smooth ride.
  4. Comfortable ride: A car that rides well on poorly built roads with potholes, minimizing passenger discomfort.
  5. Low Service Requirements: A car that offers peace of mind not only via the possibility of an Annual Maintenance Contract but also very few issues 4-5 years into ownership; Service outlet should be available in Pune.
  6. In the market for >6 months: Typically brand new cars have issues that take ~6-12 months of production to sort out.
  7. Budget: Under 12 lakh INR (can stretch to 15, if something fitting other requirements very well is available)
Old 1st January 2021, 17:33   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Do consider the Ford Figo twins, the Aspire in AT is a good option.
I had the previous gen Figo and it was a hoot to drive.
The Jazz will give you space and Honda refinement, its not fun in the AT version, oh I didn't mention, buy an Automatic, spare your knees the pain of driving in Bombay traffic.
Thanks for the inputs, but I have recently moved out of Mumbai so traffic won't be an issue. Secondly, as this will be the first car in the family I wanted it to be one which has bullet proof reliability.
Old 4th January 2021, 22:37   #596
BHPian

Needed suggestions for a car for my sister.

She’s just moved to Chandigarh and will be needing a car for the three years she’ll be there.
She’s been driving an i20 petrol manual for five years now in Calicut, and is a very good driver. The car has seen only some 18k kms though in these 5 years.

For Chandigarh, we’re looking at a small, preferably automatic, hatchback and will see only similar or lesser mileage and will be driven only in the city.

Budget would be 8-9 lacs max.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:43   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren_P1 View Post
Appreciate your advice on my next car.
The Jazz V CVT (VX/ZX if you’re after features), if you want a well engineered car with fuss free ownership for 10+ years, within your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
For Chandigarh, we’re looking at a small, preferably automatic, hatchback and will see only similar or lesser mileage and will be driven only in the city.
For a 3yr ownership period, buy a good used Jazz CVT, after its been thoroughly checked by a trusted mechanic/ASC. Avoid buying new as you’ll burn your fingers when you sell it. If however, the car will continue to be used post 3yrs (by someone else in the family), a new Jazz V CVT fits within your budget (after discounts).

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 7th January 2021 at 06:45.
Old 20th January 2021, 17:32   #598
BHPian

Hello guys,

Planning to replace our 6 and half year old Hyundai Eon with another Hatchback. We also have a Nano which I'm currently using in Chennai. I was mostly using the Eon in Chennai but it's back in Trivandrum right now with my parents. Since I love driving and the need does arise for occasional long drives, I find both these cars of mine terribly under powered and unsafe!

I was contemplating to buy a new car but thanks to covid and the irregular nature of my work right now, I am looking at Used cars for around 5 lakhs that are 2-4 years old with a hope to upgrade to a bigger one few years down the line. My requirements are:

1) Refined and sufficiently powerful engine for decent highway drives as well
2) Stable and good to drive at highway speeds
3) Sufficient space for 4 normal adults
4) Ease of Maintenance
5) Safety - putting it at number five because with this budget, I know I don't have many choices but still, I would like to pick the best of the available lot.
6) Sufficient GC - don't want my car scraping around bumps

Since my running usually does not cross 1k kms/ month, I'm sticking to Petrol unless I find a mouth-watering Ford 1.5D in my equation.

The choices I could see were:

1) Maruti Ignis Zeta/ Alpha 1.2 MT - 2018 models for around 5-5.5 lakhs
2) Ford Figo 1.2 L - 2018-2019 for 5.5 - 6 lakhs
3) Honda Jazz 1.2 MT - 2016-2017 for 5.5-6.5 lakhs

Ignis, though light, seems to be a bit better than the likes of the Swift. Figo is not very well built either. The jazz might be the better built one here but we have no concrete proof for the Indian Version. I'm not including the Tiago (with a 4 star rating) because of the engine. I've driven it and I really don't think it entices me in anyways.

I would really appreciate your feedback. Thank you
Old 21st January 2021, 02:32   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post

I was contemplating to buy a new car but thanks to covid and the irregular nature of my work right now, I am looking at Used cars for around 5 lakhs that are 2-4 years old. My requirements are:

1) Refined and sufficiently powerful engine for decent highway drives as well
2) Stable and good to drive at highway speeds
3) Sufficient space for 4 normal adults
4) Ease of Maintenance
5) Safety
The choices I could see were:

1) Maruti Ignis Zeta/ Alpha 1.2 MT - 2018 models for around 5-5.5 lakhs
2) Ford Figo 1.2 L - 2018-2019 for 5.5 - 6 lakhs
3) Honda Jazz 1.2 MT - 2016-2017 for 5.5-6.5 lakhs
Hi!

First off, may I know why only a hatch?
Your budget is pretty decent for a sedan as well.

Next up, as per your requirements posted above, I feel Jazz ticks all the boxes without you compromising on anything. Yes! The 1.2 i-vtec is somewhat dull to drive but then with the oodles of space on offer & driving comfort (Read Cruiser) it's brilliant. The handling is quite predictable and Honda's maintenance is fairly reasonable as well.

My trump card though would be the Ford Freestyle, if you can find one. As you know, the diesel is an absolute hoot, fairly new & is better equipped than Figo. Moreover, if you find the top end variant, that Sync 3 system is an absolute delight to use. Also, I know you are preferring the petrol here owing to your lower running but I would recommend you to check out the Elite i20 CRDi as well. Another brilliant engine on offer & a fantastic cruiser which meets all your requirements quite well.
To be honest, not being biased but avoid Maruti Suzuki even though the 1.2 Petrol is a pretty good engine, the overall built quality just doesn't inspires enough confidence in me furthermore, the maintenance of MS isn't low by any standards.

To sum it up, if Petrol, Jazz would be my pick else Freestyle Diesel & i20 CRDi.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 02:44   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Hi!

First off, may I know why only a hatch?
Your budget is pretty decent for a sedan as well.

Next up, as per your requirements posted above, I feel Jazz ticks all the boxes without you compromising on anything. Yes! The 1.2 i-vtec is somewhat dull to drive but then with the oodles of space on offer & driving comfort (Read Cruiser) it's brilliant. The handling is quite predictable and Honda's maintenance is fairly reasonable as well.

My trump card though would be the Ford Freestyle, if you can find one. As you know, the diesel is an absolute hoot, fairly new & is better equipped than Figo. Moreover, if you find the top end variant, that Sync 3 system is an absolute delight to use. Also, I know you are preferring the petrol here owing to your lower running but I would recommend you to check out the Elite i20 CRDi as well. Another brilliant engine on offer & a fantastic cruiser which meets all your requirements quite well.
To be honest, not being biased but avoid Maruti Suzuki even though the 1.2 Petrol is a pretty good engine, the overall built quality just doesn't inspires enough confidence in me furthermore, the maintenance of MS isn't low by any standards.

To sum it up, if Petrol, Jazz would be my pick else Freestyle Diesel & i20 CRDi.
Thanks a lot!

Hatch mainly because I don't need the space of a sedan and I really didn't find a <4 year old example at around 5 lakhs.

I really have been hunting for a Freestyle but really can't find anything that's within my budget. Even the Figo diesel I find are ones that have run a lot! As I mentioned in my post, if I do find a Ford 1.5 D Figo/ Freestyle, I will rightaway grab it as it is such a hoot to drive. I included a Figo petrol as I did read/see good reviews about the 1.2 L Petrol Facelift.

I too would like to keep MS away as I own a Wagon-R back home and yeah, I second what you mentioned too. But kind of felt Ignis was a tad better which in reality may not be. True. Thanks for suggesting the Jazz, I think right now it makes real good sense when you put it that way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks