Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2022, 08:52   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Just keep an eye on the seat comfort of wagon R. Somehow, i never felt at home with wagon R seats.
Thanks for the input. My usage is intended for rides not lasting more than 30-40 minutes on an average, depending on traffic. Hopefully it shouldn't be a bother under the circumstances. The ingress-egress of the Wagon R is the best of the lot. It does feel like a bit like a van to drive, but not too bad. As far as rear seat comfort is concerned, only the Ignis has rear headrests, but the car does feel a bit hemmed in because of its black interiors (except dash), and the thicker door edge which requires one to carefully enter or exit to avoid getting hit on the head.
Old 13th August 2022, 19:00   #677
BHPian

Does it make sense to buy the Honda Jazz CVT today as a family driven city beater car knowing that it will be discontinued in 2022?
VPJ74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:32   #678
Senior - BHPian

I went to have another look at the S-Presso and the Wagon-R yesterday. First of all, there is a basic issue that apparently none of the dealers have the Wagon R 1.2 AMT for a test drive. So someone who pays 8.4 lac for the Wagon R AMT is expected to buy it without even a test drive. Its ridiculous to say the least. Anyway, here are my observations:
S-Presso 2022 model was on display. I did a touch-and-feel of the car and also examined the engine bay. My first impression is that the 2022 car felt a bit better built than its cousin the Wagon-R and certainly better than the TD S-Presso car. Even the engine hood was a bit heftier than the Wagon-R. Meanwhile, they arranged a Wagon R 1.2 ZXI manual from somewhere for a test drive. The car felt "ok", I had a couple of observations:
i) The driver seat seemed to be lower than my comfort level and there is no height adjustment. I am not a short person per se, but still did not find it to my liking.
ii) The car really feels like a van to drive, the only thing that was good was the soft suspension, but the engine noise insulation was quite bad.
The S-Presso AMT on the other hand felt like a car you can wrap your hands around, very chuckable and go-kart like. The AMT also felt quite smooth. But I took it for a bit of a speed run on the Pune BLR bypass and the car felt quite bouncy at over 80 kph. Perhaps the ESP has been added to address any potential high speed issues ?
Did a bit of a think, and went over to a nearby Hyundai dealer to take a look at the Nios 1.2 AMT. There is a day-and-night difference in the refinement and cabin experience vis-à-vis the Maruti's especially the Wagon R. The AMT is somewhat laggy, but the actuator is not felt as much, certainly not "jerky" like say in the Ignis (which I have earlier driven). The only downside I felt about the Nios is the lower ground clearance (at par with Wagon R) and also the lower ingress-egress. I am now torn between the S-Presso, Ignis and the Nios 1.2. Not sure what would be the right choice.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 14th August 2022 at 15:38.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 22:59   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
Does it make sense to buy the Honda Jazz CVT today as a family driven city beater car knowing that it will be discontinued in 2022?
I would suggest you choose the Honda Amaze CVT instead. The engine and the gear box are the same and there is ample space on offer too.
ellip5i5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 20:10   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Even though Jazz is a very practical car I would stay away from a product which is already discontinued in other markets and will follow the same in India. At that price bracket look for other cars.
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 00:55   #681
y2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
Not sure if you'd want automatic as it's not mentioned. Below points are based on assuming it to be manual

Please consider to go ahead with Baleno.
1. Given the budget, i20 won't be feature rich. (Nearly similar to what Baleno offers) Baleno delta vs i20 Magna.
2. Hyundai has competitive advantage over MS only in terms of feature as safety has dropped. Features restricted to top end.
3. NA petrol of baleno is better than i20
4. No diesel for your running.

However, if at all you were to look for automatic, i20's CVT is easily ahead of baleno's AMT
I am facing the same question - Baleno vs I20. While originally, it was simply Baleno vs Amaze, I got to know that I20 just like Baleno has 6 airbags plus sunroof. Now the sunroof isn't as useful in Mumbai I think so just a good to have feature and I don't think I like how Hyundai cars handle although I have yet to specifically test drive these models.

Would your opinion change if I were to say that I am looking at an automatic top variant petrol? With this information what would you suggest - Amaze, Baleno or I20? Which variant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellip5i5 View Post
I would suggest you choose the Honda Amaze CVT instead. The engine and the gear box are the same and there is ample space on offer too.
Is this a good time to get the Amaze as it hasn't got any updates this year - could it mean it will get those next year? Also the fact that Baleno has 6 airbags and cheaper maintenance, isn't that a strong contender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
Even though Jazz is a very practical car I would stay away from a product which is already discontinued in other markets and will follow the same in India. At that price bracket look for other cars.
Which would you suggest in the same bracket with same or better features especially safety?
Old 28th October 2022, 03:04   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k View Post
Which would you suggest in the same bracket with same or better features especially safety?
Altroz DCA is the only premium hatchback when you talk of safety creds comparable/better than Jazz CVT.

Magnite/Kiger CVT are the other two but in subcompact Crossover segment considering you want to stick to Jazz-ish budget.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 09:17   #683
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure of your requirements however when you talk about the price bracket I have few cars on top..

Manual pertol -
1. Baleno/Glanza - Most value for money, Refined engine, awesome service network and low maintenance.

2. I20 - better looks but not value for money in comparison to Baleno or Glanza. (I am talking about the 1.2L engine here)

3. Citroen C3 turbo - Top pick in terms of ride quality, driving fun however misses on many features which you might or might not need. Service network is scanty too.

4. Venue - If i20 or Baleno is too low for you.

Automatic Petrol - In this rage most of the transmission offered is either AMT (not smooth) or DCT/DCA (should buy at your own risk). Or cvt from Kiger/Magnite (i will not suggest). So you might need to look for TC like Brezza which is priced higher.

Diesel Manual - Nexon 1.5l or Venue 1.5l.. Both are good.

Diesel automatic - Sonet 1.5 6 speed auto TC transmission.

Safety ratings are valid if you drive at 50-60 kmph. After that point all cars are pretty much the same and your driving reflexes and luck plays an important role. So driving safe is the best rating of all.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th October 2022 at 09:39. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
OpenRoads is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 22:30   #684
BHPian

Quote:

Is this a good time to get the Amaze as it hasn't got any updates this year - could it mean it will get those next year? Also the fact that Baleno has 6 airbags and cheaper maintenance, isn't that a strong contender?

If safety is the criteria, the amaze is the best of these 3 as the baleno isn’t tested yet, whereas the i20 has a poorer rating than the amaze.

Not sure about amaze updates, but I personally think honda will focus on newer products in the future and not invest too much on a segment that isn’t very hot.

Feature wise the baleno and i20 trump the amaze. But if you were looking for a mechanically sound, spacious vehicle and you can’t go wrong with it.

Would suggest you do back to back test drives of the three and take a decision.

Last edited by ellip5i5 : 28th October 2022 at 22:32. Reason: Added a point on future
ellip5i5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 12:05   #685
y2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Altroz DCA is the only premium hatchback when you talk of safety creds comparable/better than Jazz CVT.

Magnite/Kiger CVT are the other two but in subcompact Crossover segment considering you want to stick to Jazz-ish budget.
I looked up Tata Altroz now and what surprises me is how does it score any better than other cars like Amaze and Baleno? I know airbags are not the only safety measure that is considered or even important and probably the frame of the car itself is the most important aspect but then how does that alone make it achieve a 5 star rating? I have been in cars abroad for many years and the cars we have here especially in this range are FAR behind any of the average cars out there. may not be very knowledgeable when it comes to cars in general and GNCAP but I am very well versed with how the world in general and the corporates specifically work. Unable to buy the fact that Tata Altroz is worth 5 stars.
And why is Jazz any different than other Honda cars like Amaze and City in terms of built unless we are purely talking about features here, hence value for money.

It beats me when people even today suggest Jazz knowing that the model is soon to be discontinued and an alternative to that will be Renault in this range? Because I doubt if Kiger can match to the safety/feature/quality standards of Honda and service/availability of Maruti. Not sure about Mahindra on these aspects.

Quote:
I am not sure of your requirements however when you talk about the price bracket I have few cars on top..

Manual pertol -
1. Baleno/Glanza - Most value for money, Refined engine, awesome service network and low maintenance.

2. I20 - better looks but not value for money in comparison to Baleno or Glanza. (I am talking about the 1.2L engine here)

3. Citroen C3 turbo - Top pick in terms of ride quality, driving fun however misses on many features which you might or might not need. Service network is scanty too.

Automatic Petrol - In this rage most of the transmission offered is either AMT (not smooth) or DCT/DCA (should buy at your own risk). Or cvt from Kiger/Magnite (i will not suggest). So you might need to look for TC like Brezza which is priced higher.

Safety ratings are valid if you drive at 50-60 kmph. After that point all cars are pretty much the same and your driving reflexes and luck plays an important role. So driving safe is the best rating of all.
My requirements are a daily city car safe with a family, comfortable, reliable and easily serviceable with as many bells and whistles as possible. I love tech, safety and assistance. Petrol, automatic. Preferably 6 airbags and high on safety. Would love a sedan but no deal beaker anymore. Budget on road less than 10 but can stretch a bit as I don't think I am somebody who can keep upgrading every 5-6 years. This is my first car. Have had cars in the family but never driven or owned them and it has now been years since we had a car or anything more than the most economical models of Maruti.

Quote:
If safety is the criteria, the amaze is the best of these 3 as the baleno isn’t tested yet, whereas the i20 has a poorer rating than the amaze.

Not sure about amaze updates, but I personally think honda will focus on newer products in the future and not invest too much on a segment that isn’t very hot.

Feature wise the baleno and i20 trump the amaze. But if you were looking for a mechanically sound, spacious vehicle and you can’t go wrong with it.

But even Indian Amaze hasn't been tested yet and there was no consensus in the other thread that the African version (GNCAP 4 rating) is the same as Indian version or am I missing something?

The other day I was looking at the sales data none of the other threads and it seems Honda is nowhere on the map. They are discontinuing Jazz and have o offering in SUV in this range like few other manufacturers. There sales are not encouraging. They are not updating their decent sellers like Amaze. City 4 gen no longer has any automatic variant on sale as per their website. IT feels like they want to be the next Ford - pack up and leave India.

Agreed about the features where I think I20 as the most but they seem to be of shady quality. Surprises me how our public that negotiates a few rupees with vegetable vendors puts up with such a disappointment for such a lavish purchase with such car makers. The impression about the quality is coming from ownership threads here.
Baleno seems to be the middle ground in quality, reliability and maybe even comfort. I would like to test drive Baleno and Amaze but the Honda showroom is sort of far and in a busy locality and am not sure if I will be able to get a test drive on the top variant at both places let alone on the same day but I think I might.

The idea is to get as many tech and features as possible especially safety and assistive features yet not compromising on comfort, reliability and service availability. Petro, automatic with on road budget of 10 give or take 2 at most.
y2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 15:12   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Would your opinion change if I were to say that I am looking at an automatic top variant petrol? With this information what would you suggest - Amaze, Baleno or I20? Which variant?
My preference in petrol automatics
1. Pre-owned polo GT TSi (1 litre turbo TC). All options still under warranty.
2. Jazz ZX CVT (if you can get good discount of atleast 50k owing to year end and it being discontinued)
3. Amaze VX CVT
4. i20 Asta (o) IVT
5. Altroz XZA+ (I would still be hesitant with this)
No AMTs for me.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 14:02   #687
y2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
My preference in petrol automatics
1. Pre-owned polo GT TSi (1 litre turbo TC). All options still under warranty.
2. Jazz ZX CVT (if you can get good discount of atleast 50k owing to year end and it being discontinued)
3. Amaze VX CVT
4. i20 Asta (o) IVT
5. Altroz XZA+ (I would still be hesitant with this)
No AMTs for me.
Quote:

Quote:

Manual pertol -

Looking at the Tiago now. Revised my budget. Ideally a wrong time to purchase a car with the regulatory changes coming in April and November next year hence looking for a more economical yet safe and new car. Compared Tiago to Celerio and the former comes across as a better car due to its perceived safety. Have yet to test drive and decide. AMT.
Old 2nd August 2023, 17:09   #688
BHPian

I'm in a similar situation. I'm torn apart in choosing one between the two.
# Budget is between 7-8 lakhs. It'll be my brother's 1st car.
# I'm getting i20 cheaper by 25k than baleno after all discounts.
# Driving will be around at least 40 km per day with 4 or 5 occupants half the time. These are the least figures.
# i20 got looks and price while Baleno got features and mileage.
# No diesel.
# No Tata Mahindra or Honda. First two are out because of their shoddy ASS. Nissan Renault also not considered for same reason. And I already got 2 Amaze and 2 City back home but my brother don't want a sedan so Honda is out as well.
# As a wildcard entry I'm also getting Ignis base model with good discount but i20 price is not far off. Ignis benefit is it's engine and size.
Help me decide which one to get of all 3. Getting base models of all 3 or one up from base. All are in budget as well.
Old 22nd November 2023, 08:08   #689
BHPian

Quote:
hi

what did you decide / buy?

For a beater car, it should be fine I think... as it is your second car (?) and you would use it for a few years.
Old 13th December 2023, 17:36   #690
BANNED

Hyundai i20 or Suzuki Baleno?

I have a very strange problem. My mom recently purchased a 2022 'NEW' Hyundai i20 through Spinny. The delivery process was smooth and the car runs great.
Sadly, the car chugs much more than it's supposed with her city average (keep in mind it's bumper to bumper traffic in Hyderabad) is 8kmpl to 10kmpl

Before getting the i20 we also enquired at MSIL Nexa for a new Baleno

After getting this i20 he contacted us to tell us that they reduced the price by 70k on the Baleno. Looking at all this, my mom thinks that she might return the i20 and go for the Baleno.

thoughts?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks