Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 13:51   #46
BHPian

Re: The dilemma – Polo Comfortline 1.5 TDI vs Punto Evo 93 ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquashankar View Post
The main concern now is that we have read horror stories regarding both cars everywhere when it comes to servicing and mechanical issues. My other concern is that inspite of being a great car, the Punto just doesn’t seem to be selling much.

The Polo on the other hand too seems to be suffering from high maintenance issues. But I have friends who swear that their regular services are cheap for a car of this brand. And then I see that VW seems to be actually listening to Indian customers and bringing about changes where required while Fiat is still plonking the same tried and tested engine with slightly upgraded interiors.

Frankly, my wife and I like the Punto at this stage for its adequate performance, excellent braking and road manners, a joyous steering and good rear legroom. Not to mention the rock solid build. But will Fiat last? It is the number one selling brand in Italy, but we’re a little far away and our mindset is still Maruti.

We like the Polo for its attention to detail and engine. We know we cannot go wrong with either of them. The question is longevity of the brands and after sales service.
Aquashankar,

Believe me, a friend of mine, as well as myself are sailing in the new boat as you, and could not have put the dilema in better words. So, thanks for this nice post. My Alto is more than 7 years old, has clocked 90,000 km. Its time for a change, though with a heavy heart, as the car has never stood us up.

There are a couple of arguments that one hears: resale value, and ASS.

My feeling on this is, since you like both cars, just go with whatever your heart, and that of your spouse says. As Cliffhanger says, there is no yes or no answer to this question.

I have made up my heart/mind on what I need to buy, and will execute it soon. Just waiting for my Wife's lease offer to go through. Her firm has a better lease offer than mine. So will go to her firm, though will end up paying for the car myself.

In the mean while I would appreciate if you could let us know what offers you are getting on both cars.
PVPal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 13:52   #47

Thank you CliffHanger. I guess the question which I should have also asked is

"Is there a hatchback that I should be looking at along with these two?" I have only test driven the Polo and Punto as Safety and Build quality are the top two on my list. The car should be appealing too with adequate performance and good after sales service.

I am seeking opinions from owners of these two cars as what I find on the forums are mostly service related issues. There are very few ownership reviews of the TDi and none of the Evo.

Thank you TheTeacher for your reply on the Linea.
Old 9th November 2014, 14:17   #48
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
but we’re a little far away and our mindset is still Maruti.
If you want experience of Maruti ASS, forget these cars.

Buy the i20 for hassle free maintenance.

I would suggest you to drive the i20. But yes, you have to compromise a little on the Dynamics. But hyundais have improved a lot.

If you're hellbent on the polo or the punto, I would simply choose the Polo. Not that it has any great advantages over the Punto in terms of ASS, but because it's got the better torque rating of the two. And also because Punto is a heavy car.
Old 9th November 2014, 19:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

Both are extremely good hatches; look good, drive good, are built well, offer superior levels of safety and quality. Let me make it a little easier for you by listing the advantages and disadvantages that stand out the most between the two. That might make it easier for you to choose what you can live with

Fiat Punto

+ves
*Superior dynamic capabilities in terms of steering, braking and ride
*Fiat after sales support is much better and is projected to get even more satisfying as the brand has made it clear on how committed they are to shaking off that image of poor A.S.S.

-ves
Dull acceleration due to its sheer heft
Rubbery gearbox
Driving position is slightly off

Volkswagen Polo

+ves
*Superior fit and finish
*Better powertrain means you won't get annoyed with it ever

-ves
*Ridiculously cramped rear bench
*Volkswagen's after sales support leaves a lot to be desired and service centers have been known to have an arrogant approach towards A.S.S.

To make things a little more interesting, do consider the Ford Figo. Arguably the best to drive if a bit dated. You could even choose to wait for the launch of its replacement.

Cheers! Keep us posted

Last edited by IshaanIan : 9th November 2014 at 19:28.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 23:34   #50
BHPian

Well, it is very good question and I think it is my duty to comment as I own a Polo Comfortline 1.5 TDI. Some reasons why Polo is perfect for you :

1. You will never feel under-powered, whether you are climbing a hill road or going through traffic. I mean never !
2. Some phrases that you used were nifty car for city, strong safe family car, good climbing ability, a good AC, decent luggage space. Some traits that describe a Polo.
3. Polo ages well and never looks bored or over the top. It maintains the classic lines and the design is inspiring.

Biggest drawback for a Polo is rear space which is really inadequate. The bump in the middle doesn't help either.

If we compare a Punto :

1. Power is just adequate. It will not disappoint but will not bring a grin on your face all the time.
2. It is a heavy car, infact too heavy for an enthusiasts's liking. The power-train does not gel with the car. Seems under-powered at times. It can't be termed as a nifty car. Quick maneuvers need slight planning ( Punto owners please don't kill me )
3. With so much chrome and over-designed look, it might age faster than a Polo.

Biggest plus for a Punto is slightly better ride quality than a Polo.

Everything else is something that you will adapt to. You will get use to the steering, suspension set up, handling abilities and ride quality of the both these cars. After sales for both the brands depend on the service center chosen ( It's is a gamble ). Please have back to back test drives.

Follow your heart !

Zigor
Old 10th November 2014, 02:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone please advise?
If you have your heart on the punto, you can also go for the avventura. Its got all the +ves of the punto and some more.

Though its a punto, with the cosmetic and mechanical modifications, it surely stands out in the crowd. Since you will be going to hill stations, the massive ground clearance of 205 mm will be an added advantage.

Here's the link to the official review : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-review.html
Old 10th November 2014, 10:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

The dilemma of choosing between the shortlisted cars is understandable. As a Punto owner all I can say is the ownership is truly satisfying. Apart from the usual news of poor after sales and few niggles here and there, its fun to drive the Punto esp on the corners and in the ghats making it one of the best cars in the handling department. The ride feels planted and the high GC helps to ride over a lot of rough roads. The 75 HP is best suited for the city drives and the occasional highway runs whereas the 90 HP is best suited for the highways.

Would suggest you to rank the two cars on the 0-10 scale for each characteristic and come up with an overall score, will help you to decide clearly.
Old 10th November 2014, 10:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

I will side with the Polo primarily because it has got better engine and better quality interiors and find it better looking too. That said there are few cars which ride and handle as well as a Punto does and while its engine is a little slower than Polo in outright performance, is not a bad motor at all and has proved itself to be reliable workhorse in many a cars sold in India. Also, A lot of my close friends own a Punto and I feel it will cost less to service than the Polo. Take your pick.
Old 10th November 2014, 10:41   #54
BHPian

I understand this is going to be a difficult choice to make. Few things that I would like to mention
which favour Punto over the Polo are as follows

1. Old school HPS steering is tuned to enthusiast's taste compared to Polo
2. I find Punto's suspension slightly better suited for our pothole ridden roads
3. Long-term ownership should work comparatively cheaper with Punto (3+2 years warranty from FIAT)

do keep us posted on the side you choose to drift.
Old 10th November 2014, 11:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone please advise?
Since you have already TD'ed both the cars and like the Punto, I suggest you check with fellow Fiat owners in Hyderabad how the service is. Service quality is very city specific and support in your city is the most important. I see your location is Hyderabad - IIRC bhpian 'Hilram' has a big collection of Fiat's and even picked up the Avventura. Check with him how the service quality is.

On them moving out of India, I do not see that happening. With the Chrysler merger done, emerging markets is the next priority for FCA, with plans to make India a production hub for Jeep already underway.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 10th November 2014 at 11:22.
Old 10th November 2014, 12:07   #56
BHPian

I will vote for Polo here. Because it has timeless looks, quality interiors, better power and torque figures - "there is no replacement for displacement!"

Handling, steering and dynamics wise Figo is a strong contender. I would say better than Punto and Polo.

Also if I may suggest wait for TATA Bolt. Overdrive reviewers came all impressed with the car. As Zest proved; TATA has improved almost in every sense - interiors, NVH, steering, handling and dynamics.
Old 10th November 2014, 13:44   #57
BHPian

I own a Punto 2010 and have driven it for 71,000 Kms yet. I have also driven Polo extensively, albeit the 1.2 versions.

The life with Punto has been peaceful so far. I was happy even when Tata used to do the service - now its only better. With 120+ service centers, its not that tough to reach one, either.

My purchase of the Punto was purely a heart over head decision, back in 2010. However, now I feel that it makes a lot of sense to the head too:

- The regular service and maintenance of Punto is cheaper than a Swift - compared to my uncle's Swift.
- As someone already pointed out, Fiat's warranty policy is one of the best, if not the best - I have had instances where parts were replaced under warranty even after 6 months of expiry of the warranty period.
- Resale value was something I knew would be bad when I bought the car. But looking at my car's condition, I do not see a reason to replace it in another 4 years.

Polo is a fantastic car, no two opinions - much better than Punto in many departments. However, if I want to buy a car today and buy a Punto again, rather than a Polo, there would primarily be three reasons:
1. I got addicted to the Punto's steering - just can't find a better steering in this segment or a few segments above.
2. Handling, Ride and Braking - I am spoiled by these
3. Relatively better peace of mind - there is not a single occasion in the last 4.5 years that I have felt that I was charged more than what I should have. Not sure about VW, but may be because I am familiar I feel more comfortable with Fiat after sales.
Old 10th November 2014, 14:02   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
If you want experience of Maruti ASS, forget these cars.

Buy the i20 for hassle free maintenance.
Thank you. I did try out the Elite i20 just yesterday. I found the fit and finish and paint quality excellent. The space in the car too is great. But (just my personal opinion) it felt like I was playing a video game. Not sure if I am making sense. The steering felt like a simulator. I like some road feedback from the car. Also, the top end diesel is expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

Fiat Punto

-ves
Driving position is slightly off

Volkswagen Polo

-ves
*Ridiculously cramped rear bench

To make things a little more interesting, do consider the Ford Figo. Arguably the best to drive if a bit dated. You could even choose to wait for the launch of its replacement.
The rear space of the Polo is the unsettling factor as long drives will mean three people in the back seat. I also found the hump to be bigger than the average molehill and tried sitting in the centre. For long drives, it looks uncomfortable.

The Figo for some reason never figured on my list. I think I will try it out after checking its features. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigor View Post

1. You will never feel under-powered, whether you are climbing a hill road or going through traffic. I mean never !
2. Some phrases that you used were nifty car for city, strong safe family car, good climbing ability, a good AC, decent luggage space. Some traits that describe a Polo.
3. Polo ages well and never looks bored or over the top. It maintains the classic lines and the design is inspiring.

Biggest drawback for a Polo is rear space which is really inadequate. The bump in the middle doesn't help either.

If we compare a Punto :

3. With so much chrome and over-designed look, it might age faster than a Polo.

Biggest plus for a Punto is slightly better ride quality than a Polo.

Please have back to back test drives.

Zigor
Absolutely right in all your points above which even I observed. Its the rear space of the Polo that is putting me off. And the ride quality being a little better in the Punto. Frankly, I am not a fan of the new Punto looks. The old Maserati front is just so dignified. Why couldn't VW just offer some more legroom. They give so much power and so little seating space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
If you have your heart on the punto, you can also go for the avventura.
Yes, I will check this car out also. As you said, the higher GC is good. But we need to strictly keep this car for only long drives or non-mall visits int he city as every security guard will need special training to open the Avventura's boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Would suggest you to rank the two cars on the 0-10 scale for each characteristic and come up with an overall score, will help you to decide clearly.
Unfortunately, each car scores well on different points. Hence the confusion. I will need to think about this a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I will side with the Polo primarily because it has got better engine and better quality interiors and find it better looking too. A lot of my close friends own a Punto and I feel it will cost less to service than the Polo.
Agreed totally. The Polo's interiors will impress the better half. You mentioned a lot of friends own the Punto. Are they generally happy owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post

1. Old school HPS steering is tuned to enthusiast's taste compared to Polo
2. I find Punto's suspension slightly better suited for our pothole ridden roads

do keep us posted on the side you choose to drift.
Yes, The HPS is what I noticed too. Some things are just better left unevolved. the character speaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I suggest you check with fellow Fiat owners in Hyderabad how the service is. Service quality is very city specific and support in your city is the most important. I see your location is Hyderabad - IIRC bhpian 'Hilram' has a big collection of Fiat's and even picked up the Avventura.
On them moving out of India, I do not see that happening. With the Chrysler merger done, emerging markets is the next priority for FCA, with plans to make India a production hub for Jeep already underway.
Thank you very much for this info. I will contact Hilram for sure. On another note, yes, I have been shamelessly walking around in my colony and knocking on Fiat owners' doors (complete strangers) and talking to them about their cars. Every one them is very happy. I have spoken to 7 owners till now. And 2 have done 80000+ kms. But then, the Polo owners are also happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Handling, steering and dynamics wise Figo is a strong contender. I would say better than Punto and Polo.

Also if I may suggest wait for TATA Bolt.
Really? The Figo handling and dynamics is better than an Punto? I will take a TD of the car and the showroom is just walking distance from my house.
Old 10th November 2014, 14:33   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
Aquashankar,

I have made up my heart/mind on what I need to buy, and will execute it soon. Just waiting for my Wife's lease offer to go through. Her firm has a better lease offer than mine. So will go to her firm, though will end up paying for the car myself.
It is good to see that you have made up your mind. Even I will be taking either car on lease. The maintenance if then left to the leasing company and if the car needs to sit for long periods in the service centre, the leasing company has to provide a replacement. I have spoken to both Orix India and LeasePlan india. I find LeasePlan to be a little more expensive than Orix, albeit just a bit more. But LeasePlan is far more professional in their approach and are giving online access too with regards to contacting them, 24x7 assistance, roadside assistance etc. A big difference is that LeasePlan fixes the mileage that can be done during the tenure while Orix is more flexible. On a 48 month tenure, the difference between the two companies is around 1500 - 2000 a month.

Leasing seems to make a lot of sense as I can expense off the leasing cost and do not need to show the car as a depreciating asset on my books. But on the flip side, I cannot change tyres or remap or do much else without explicit permission from the leasing company. For long drives though, it is manageable.

I wish I could go with my heart. With a family of 4, everything else too needs to be taken into consideration. The perpetual mind vs heart game. Need vs Want.
aquashankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 14:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed totally. The Polo's interiors will impress the better half. You mentioned a lot of friends own the Punto. Are they generally happy owners?
Oh absolutely barring one who had to get the turbo replacement done at his cost because at a prior service he did not replace the air filter (which was not his fault, the SA said there is no need) and therefore Fiat did not honor the warranty. They did give him a discount though. I must also mention that he has been pretty rough with the car, redlining a lot, servicing at 15k's which under his style of driving is a lot and not following the idling rule.

There is another Punto on the forum which had done 2 lakh kms without major issues. You can search.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks