Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:56   #106
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Guys,

I am in a dilemma , Based on my budget and what car I liked , I have decided to go for either Punto or the Polo

my question is , 1.3 Dynamic has ABS but no airbags and 1.5 treadline has Airbags but no ABS. Based on the saftey feature which should I go for?

Driving will be 80% city and 20% Highway.

Also any other cars, I should consider, Looking for a car wit good power and good handling.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:15   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Guys,
I am in a dilemma , Based on my budget and what car I liked , I have decided to go for either Punto or the Polo
my question is , 1.3 Dynamic has ABS but no airbags and 1.5 treadline has Airbags but no ABS. Based on the saftey feature which should I go for?
Also any other cars, I should consider, Looking for a car wit good power and good handling.
According to me, both ABS and airbags are a basic necessity. ABS is an active safety feature, which means it aids in preventing accidents to occur by making the car able to steer even while braking. Airbags, on the other hand, is a passive safety feature, which means that it can act as a life saver after the accident has occured.
Both features are very much needed. So, it's not at at all recommended to buy a car without these features.

Could you be more specific about your requirements and budget? Are you fixated on a diesel? If not, there are plenty of cars in your budget which tick the right boxes.

Happy shopping.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 00:29   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I'm listing the positives of both the cars- That will *hopefully* help ya-

The Polo fits into compact places- But lacks in space. The Punto is quite roomy. The handling and assorted mannerisms of the Punto is something else.

The Punto's rear is much more attractive- LED's et al.

The Polo has power. However- The Punto also has better interiors. The A/C vent part is shared with the FIAT 500.

The Conclusion: Depends on what you want. The Punto is stable- and is adequate, power wise. The Polo is not as stable, but the 1.5 TDi is something else.

As regards to safety features- See, ABS will be needed *much* more frequently. In city driving, say on rainy days, or just during sudden braking or assorted melodrama's- ABS will be a boon, and it's effect shall be felt everyday.

If you can drive sanely, that drastically reduces the chances of you being involved in an accident.

Considering that the Punto is *much* more stable, has better interiors, and due to the fact that the effect of ABS shall be evident nearly everyday, I'll take the Punto- with a clause, drive sanely, so as to cover up the lack of airbags.

End of the day- ABS + EBD is an active safety feature, whereas Airbags, are just supplementary passive systems.

If I were in your boat, I'd also consider the Swift VDi ABS. No airbags- same issue as the Punto. They say the Elite i20 is 'as dead as a dodo', handling wise. They were wrong. It has one of the better (if not the best!) engine + GB Combos on the market. Take a detailed TD of the i20, Punto, and the Polo- if need be.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 24th March 2015 at 00:33.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 12:12   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Firstly - you might get a good deal on the Punto - and if you do, nothing like it as you can get a variant with all the safety features.
As a car, I like the Punto more as a package with better ride and handling, interiors, etc. The Polo does have a better engine however, and much better ergonomics (do take an extended test drive of the Punto to make sure you are comfortable with the ergonomics. I wasn't, thus I drive an Etios).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 19:39   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post

Could you be more specific about your requirements and budget? Are you fixated on a diesel? If not, there are plenty of cars in your budget which tick the right boxes.

Happy shopping.
I want a car that handles well, Diesel will be the fuel of preference due to the intercity travels we will plan to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
I'm listing the positives of both the cars- That will *hopefully* help ya-

If I were in your boat, I'd also consider the Swift VDi ABS. No airbags- same issue as the Punto. They say the Elite i20 is 'as dead as a dodo', handling wise. They were wrong. It has one of the better (if not the best!) engine + GB Combos on the market. Take a detailed TD of the i20, Punto, and the Polo- if need be.
Thanks for the detailed and insightful answer, the primay reason I considered the Polo is due to the 88 BHP against the 75 odd of the Punto, But again I have to choose a car with low power and good handling or good power and decent handling.

Since majority of driving will be the city, I wish Manufacturers gave a torque curve of their cars, 88 BHP would mean nothing if it was in the higher rev range.

I had not considered the Swift, as my colleagues who owned a few Swifts recommended against it due to rattles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Firstly - you might get a good deal on the Punto - and if you do, nothing like it as you can get a variant with all the safety features.
As a car, I like the Punto more as a package with better ride and handling, interiors, etc. The Polo does have a better engine however, and much better ergonomics (do take an extended test drive of the Punto to make sure you are comfortable with the ergonomics. I wasn't, thus I drive an Etios).

Agreed, I am getting a good deal on the Punto , they are waving off a good amount and 6K less if I go for red.
Old 24th March 2015, 21:24   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have decided to go for either Punto or the Polo

I would choose Polo here, for the airbag.

ABS can help prevent a skid, but airbags can save your life in the unlikely event of an accident. I had the ABS kick in maximum one or two times during the past 80k kms (The 195 width tyres on the Punto helps), but you never know when another vehicle accidentally crashes head on into you. Airbags help in such situations beyond your control as well.
Old 25th March 2015, 08:34   #112
BHPian

Guys,
I have a Ford Figo Exi Tdci 2012 run 53k which I intend to exchange for a B segment hatch. My wife uses a VW VENTO TDI highline 2013.
My budget is anything upto 10 lakhs.
Requirements : quite powerful, quite economical diesel hatch with good handling and ride quality.
It will be self driven, so a good seating position and with well placed pedals is a must.

Options include Hyundai i20, i20 active, VW Polo , Fiat avventura.
On a wild thought also including the Mahindra Thar 😆.
Suggestions please. .....
Old 25th March 2015, 08:50   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Guys,
I have a Ford Figo Exi Tdci 2012 run 53k which I intend to exchange for a B segment hatch. My wife uses a VW VENTO TDI highline 2013.
Requirements : quite powerful, quite economical diesel hatch with good handling and ride quality.
It will be self driven, so a good seating position and with well placed pedals is a must.

I wouldn't spend all that extra money on an i20 active over the Elite just for cosmetics, and the Avventura makes sense only if you plan to thrash bad roads. The main advantages over the Punto 90hp being the 205mm clearance (plus underbody protection plate) and the superb suspension setup.

Why don't you include the GT TDI in the list instead? Good power, good handling (Steering feel will be a big downgrade from Figo though, but not as much as in i20 Elite), decent mileage.

PS- You haven't mentioned the usage requirements. Daily drive distance? Is it going to handle occasional highway duties? Road conditions etc.
Old 25th March 2015, 11:21   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
PS- You haven't mentioned the usage requirements. Daily drive distance? Is it going to handle occasional highway duties? Road conditions etc.
My daily drive distance would be about 50-60km. Mainly in the town of Trichy, (tamilnadu ) with lots of crowded streets and the return back home by the byepass road.

We always use the Vento 1.6 TDI(2013) for highway journeys. I would also want a chiller of an AC (the Figo spoiled me).
Old 25th March 2015, 14:04   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I went through the same dilemma while choosing my new petrol car and eventually went for the Polo Highline. My primary requirement was both Airbags & ABS. The Polo had them both starting from middle variant while the Punto offered both only on the Emotion Trim which was expensive. I have also driven the diesel variants of both extensively, and 1.5 TDI is much better than the MJD. The Punto sport might be a good option if it fits in the budget. Here are my opinions in this matter.

Handling wise there is no match for the Punto in this segment, the Hydraulic PS is pure joy while the Polo's is average. But the Punto does suffer from some messed up ergonomics.

The gearshift in the Punto is notchy and rubbery while the Polo's is butter smooth and precise. The ride quality and exterior build quality is more or less the same, may be the Punto scores a bit better.

Interior wise, the Polo is much better than the Punto. After Sales Service in both cases are not up to the mark ala Maruti / Hyundai / Toyota, but VW atleast in some places is making effort to provide better service.

IMO, it would be worth a while to take a look at the Ford Figo TDCI too, even though a facelift is round the corner and you might get a good deal if you are interested. It truly is a competent product, the ride and handling is comparable to the Punto's. The TDCi is considered to be one of the best oil burners and you might get the top trim level that may fit in your budget.
Also the new Swift has got better equipments in the latest facelift and would be a worth a look.

If you are willing to stretch your budget, I suggest either you go for the Polo Comfortline Trim in which you will get both Airbags, ABS & additional equipment or Punto Sport / Emotion trim.

Hope my suggestions will help you in your car hunt. Do keep us posted on the developements.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 14:06   #116

Thanks Lamborghini; your response hit the nail on the head and answered all my queries. I'll wait till Apr and see if there is more info on the Tjet version release date. If not, I'll close the GT TDI. Thanks.
sumitj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 14:59   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Personally, since you seem to be a person who values ergonomics - I would be more inclined towards a Polo GT TDi. When I TD the Linea, I was not entirely comfortable with the ergonomics, though the car was absolutely fantastic in other regards.
From the list - the Thar, i20 and i20 Active lost out on the ride/handling balance compared to the Fiat, VW, and even the Ford.
If you are happy with the Figo - why not look at sprucing it up a little? Maybe better tyres and even a remap for the added power? You would save a fair bit of money keeping in mind depreciation, etc. and after a year or two can always get an even better hatch / sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitj View Post
Thanks Lamborghini; your response hit the nail on the head and answered all my queries. I'll wait till Apr and see if there is more info on the Tjet version release date. If not, I'll close the GT TDI. Thanks.
Just one last comment on the remap - there are tuners who can tune a remap to suit your needs. Therefore once you have driven the car a fair bit, and have an idea of where you feel a power deficit, you can sit with the tuner and try to get a map that addresses the issue.
There are a host of Skodas that have been remapped - some threads on this very forum go into a lot of detail about choosing the right tuner, and what to watch out for. Suggest you do a search and give those a shot.
Old 26th March 2015, 17:54   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Personally, since you seem to be a person who values ergonomics - I would be more inclined towards a Polo GT TDi. When I TD the Linea, I was not entirely comfortable with the ergonomics, though the car was absolutely fantastic in other regards.
From the list - the Thar, i20 and i20 Active lost out on the ride/handling balance compared to the Fiat, VW, and even the Ford.
Thanks for taking the time Lamborghini.
The reasons for changing the Figo -
The service bills are increasing
every time.
The new Figo is coming out any time now and the resale value can only go downhill.
The neighbours have a new Elite i20 which my wife likes very much😇.

So we went to the Hyundai showroom to have a look at the i20.
Standing next to it and standing taller was the i20 active.
It looked good. We almost walk in to the car.
We took a test drive and it was pretty good. Ergonomic were ok, dashboard and door pads were in plastic but ok otherwise.

The one thing I didn't like apart from the steering was the short gearing. I was shifting every 5 seconds!
I don't understand why they mate a 6 speed gearbox to a 1.4 Litre engine.

Wife wants it. I am trying to get her to think about the Polo GT TDi.
She says it is a low car (as in you sit down in it) and would result in knee pain!
She is using the Vento 1.6 TDI as a daily drive.
This is my problem!
Old 28th March 2015, 12:19   #119
BHPian

Quote:

Wife wants it. I am trying to get her to think about the Polo GT TDi.
Ah, I went through the same when I was car shopping. TD'ed both elite i20 & the VW Polo; wife wanted the elite i20 and I was fixed on the Polo. Finally managed to get her on board with the Polo :Phew:.
Quote:
She says it is a low car (as in you sit down in it) and would result in knee pain!
She is using the Vento 1.6 TDI as a daily drive.
This is my problem!
I've driven around 500 Kms since I took delivery, both me & the missus don't find the low slung stance to cause any knee pain till now.
But there is one annoying ergonomic problem as GTO mentions in the official review.
Quote:
Not neat. Notice how my left leg hits against the center console. Taller drivers also won't appreciate the high-set clutch pedal. Reminded me of the setup from my ol' Jeep. Do note that this picture was taken with my left foot resting on the clutch in its top-most (standby) position:
The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!-vw_polo_01.jpg
I'm 5'10" and find this a bit irritating. Resting the foot on the dead pedal during long drives solves this problem though, but in B2B traffic it does cause annoyance.
Ride wise, the Polo offers a more planted ride and better steering feel & feedback than the elite i20.

IMO, it wouldn't hurt if you go with the elite i20 (Asta trim) instead of the Active as you already have a VW in the house. It is perhaps the best kitted in the segment and both exterior & interior quality, fit & finish is comparable to VW.
Old 28th March 2015, 12:31   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I don't understand why you want to exchange a relatively modern hatch for another hatch but anyway, of the cars listed, I would stay away from the Polo unless you consider the GT twins. Also do consider waiting a bit for the Suzuki YRA

Ever thought of going the used car route? You could get a lot more for a lot less

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks