Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 21:04   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru0101 View Post
Thanks for all you replies

I am fond of long drives ( interested but never tried).. So planning for diesel
p:
I would advise you to go in for the Petrol. If the ngt rules become applicable in Bangalore for scrapping diesel cars after 10yrs then you may not be able to cover 1.5 lakh kms in the time your car will be allowed on the road. If your running is sure to increase by a good amount then go in for a diesel.

For tata vs toyota you need to set your priorities. If long term reliability and resale are important then toyota all the way. If interiors and looks are important then Zest and bolt are great cars. Hope this helps.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 21:39   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
So it works perfectly as a taxi or driver driven car. As a self driven car for 150000 km, not too sure.
Toyota cars are designed to gulp lakhs of kms easily. With the Etios diesel, I've closely followed cars that has already covered 2.5 lakhs. Not a single unplanned replacements. It still runs on stock clutch pad. And the number of fuel filters replaced ( one of the major components that add to the service cost of diesel engines of other brands ) for entire duration of this 2.5 lakh kms is just 'one'!

Same is the case with most Toyota cars that run all over the world. Have used Camry's and Qualis that has completed 6 plus lakhs kms. Still runs like new and the maintenance costs are still low.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 22:21   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
A Toyota is so boring to own.
Before and after service it behaves the same.
Whether the odo reading is 10,000 or 70,000 kms , it behaves the same.
Whether it's after a 10 km city drive or a 1000 kms highway drive, it behaves the same.
Heck, when you are travelling at 140 kmph, it feels as if I'm driving at 80-100 speeds!
There are no part replacements other than what is mentioned on the service manual
Terms like lower arm, tie rod end, steering rattle are forgotten since our family switched to Toyota ( from Maruti )
Once addicted to Toyota quality, it's difficult to shift brands. Technologies like AMT are very tempting ( especially for my parents ). But, the quality of this brand is making us wait for a Toyota ( VIOS ) even if that wait means a few more years.
Agree. My comment was not on the reliability for 150,000 KM. We had an Innova taxi in the family and even after 3 Lakh Km (when it was sold) it was running strong and got an astounding resale value. Although I feel the Etios is not very solidly built, I believe the mechanicals are on par with any Toyota.

My point was exactly what you mentioned above in an earlier post, they are quite boring and go on and on and on. So holding on to it for 150,000KM may get too boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Toyota cars are designed to gulp lakhs of kms easily. With the Etios diesel, I've closely followed cars that has already covered 2.5 lakhs. Not a single unplanned replacements. It still runs on stock clutch pad. And the number of fuel filters replaced ( one of the major components that add to the service cost of diesel engines of other brands ) for entire duration of this 2.5 lakh kms is just 'one'!

Same is the case with most Toyota cars that run all over the world. Have used Camry's and Qualis that has completed 6 plus lakhs kms. Still runs like new and the maintenance costs are still low.
Old 1st May 2015, 09:56   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although I feel the Etios is not very solidly built, I believe the mechanicals are on par with any Toyota.
Not just the mechanicals, even the interiors built is solid. In my 3.5 years of using this vehicle, the only issue that crop up is the small rattle from the AC vents. And Toyota has a rattle fix kit for it which solves the problem completely. No rattle issues with the dash, windows or doors. Everything has held up strongly even after the abuse I've given it.

The best thing about Toyota is that they have designed kits to fix rattles for the common rattle issues. So the dealerships doesn't have to think much on how to fix it. And these are not the work around fixes. They are solid and are designed to last.

Last edited by amalji : 1st May 2015 at 10:17.
Old 1st May 2015, 18:24   #170
BHPian

I have a daily office commute of 60 kms. Out of this I try to do few days via metro and remainder by car.

Currently I have Swift petrol and I am happy with the driving dynamics. I am not so thrilled by 9kml average with AC and miss Automatic option.

I wish to buy a car with automatic gears and am confused what to buy. Following are the two thought processes I have:

1. Buy a diesel automatic as this will solve both my problems. Unfortunately only three options are there within my budget Tata Zest, VW Vento, and Skoda Rapid.

I don't wish to buy Tata cars hence only two options remain. These two will cost me OTR Delhi - 11.5L approx.

2. The other option is to buy Petrol AT hatchback/sedan. I am considering following options: Honda Brio, Honda Amaze, VW Polo, and VW Vento TSI.

All the Petrol AT cars in my list will not cost me more than 10L OTR Delhi. Out of these Brio and Amaze will cost less then 8L OTR.

Difference is minimum 1.5 lacks between Diesel AT and Petrol AT. Could be more also if I choose Brio AT or Amaze AT.

Now I am thinking why spend 11.5 L on Diesel car when I can get pretty good petrol AT for less than 10L. My question to fellow Bhpians - what do you suggest, should I for Diesel car or cheaper Petrol car. Will I ever be able to get back extra investment I do on Diesel AT.

I intend to keep next car for minimum 5 years and will be using for outstation trips. Moreover if possible would like to spend less and get vale for money car.
Old 1st May 2015, 18:36   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I have a daily office commute of 60 kms. Out of this I try to do few days via metro and remainder by car. ......

2. The other option is to buy Petrol AT hatchback/sedan. I am considering following options: Honda Brio, Honda Amaze, VW Polo, and VW Vento TSI.
I suggest you look at the petrol option. Considering you have listed a hatch and Sedan looks like you have no preference for the boot.

Suggest you look at the TSI option from VW, depending on your preference for a Hatch or Sedan.
Old 1st May 2015, 19:20   #172
Senior - BHPian

I always recommend petrol if only for the sheer driving experience however you do also need to look into your driving style since I easily achieve a similar average in my Kizashi which weighs quite a bit, has twice the cubic capacity and isn't really tuned much for economy. You ought to be getting somewhere around 11-12 atleast.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 20:06   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a daily office commute of 60 kms. Out of this I try to do few days via metro and remainder by car.

Currently I have Swift petrol and I am happy with the driving dynamics. I am not so thrilled by 9kml average with AC and miss Automatic option.

I wish to buy a car with automatic gears and am confused what to buy. Following are the two thought processes I have:

1. Buy a diesel automatic as this will solve both my problems. Unfortunately only three options are there within my budget Tata Zest, VW Vento, and Skoda Rapid.

I don't wish to buy Tata cars hence only two options remain. These two will cost me OTR Delhi - 11.5L approx.

All the Petrol AT cars in my list will not cost me more than 10L OTR Delhi. Out of these Brio and Amaze will cost less then 8L OTR.

Difference is minimum 1.5 lacks between Diesel AT and Petrol AT. Could be more also if I choose Brio AT or Amaze AT.

Now I am thinking why spend 11.5 L on Diesel car when I can get pretty good petrol AT for less than 10L. My question to fellow Bhpians - what do you suggest, should I for Diesel car or cheaper Petrol car. Will I ever be able to get back extra investment I do on Diesel AT.

I intend to keep next car for minimum 5 years and will be using for outstation trips. Moreover if possible would like to spend less and get vale for money car.
If one of your main concerns is the 9 kmpl mileage you are getting, then Petrol AT's may not be a good option. A mileage of 9 kmpl with a manual swift indicates that your route is heavy on traffic. So ideally you will get similar mileage from any of the petrol AT's listed. So will not serve the purpose.

If getting an AT is more important, then maybe the petrol options can be considered. The Polo/Vento TSI will be the most enjoyable to drive due to the excellent TSI engine and DSG gearbox. Brio/Amaze come with a competent AT box although miss out on some nice to have features.

You can also consider the Xcent AT.

If the mileage issue is as important as the AT option, then you have no choice but to go for the diesel AT. Although you said you don't want Tata cars, I believe the Zest is way ahead of earlier Tata cars and I suggest you have a look and a test drive. You get it for well under 10L and serves your purpose of mileage and AT at a good price.

If that does not work, it is pretty much the Vento and Rapid. Both are essentially the same cars, so it boils down to what you prefer and the dealer quality in your area.

Are you sure about the prices mentioned, seems quite less. The Vento TSI Highline is 9.99L ex showroom Delhi. Even the comfortline is 9.xx ex showroom. I don't think it will come under 10L on road.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 1st May 2015 at 20:11.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 23:11   #174
BHPian

Quote:
I wish to buy a car with automatic gears and am confused what to buy.
If an automatic is all that you need, please look at the Grand i10 Automatic. It might technically be a segment lower than the Swift, but it's a properly nice car. Putters around without much fuss. Alternatively, check the Xcent Automatic too; there's a whole thread about why compact sedans make sense.

Your second option, is wait it out for the Jazz AT. That should be the upgrade as well as the much needed relief for your left knee.

PS: Hyundai Verna Diesel Auto? Well specced car for the money, check that out too!

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 23:15   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I suggest you look at the petrol option. Considering you have listed a hatch and Sedan looks like you have no preference for the boot.

Suggest you look at the TSI option from VW, depending on your preference for a Hatch or Sedan.
Boot is not much of a consideration as at most 4 people will travel in car and if I remove the woofer then boot of hatch is also sufficient for 3-4 day trip. For longer trips or more people will rent a car and leave the driving headache to chauffeur.

Quote:
If one of your main concerns is the 9 kmpl mileage you are getting, then Petrol AT's may not be a good option. A mileage of 9 kmpl with a manual swift indicates that your route is heavy on traffic. So ideally you will get similar mileage from any of the petrol AT's listed. So will not serve the purpose.

If the mileage issue is as important as the AT option, then you have no choice but to go for the diesel AT. Although you said you don't want Tata cars, I believe the Zest is way ahead of earlier Tata cars and I suggest you have a look and a test drive. You get it for well under 10L and serves your purpose of mileage and AT at a good price.

If that does not work, it is pretty much the Vento and Rapid. Both are essentially the same cars, so it boils down to what you prefer and the dealer quality in your area.

Are you sure about the prices mentioned, seems quite less. The Vento TSI Highline is 9.99L ex showroom Delhi. Even the comfortline is 9.xx ex showroom. I don't think it will come under 10L on road.
I checked out Zest but somehow my head keeps banging against the roof even after adjusting the height of the seat. Has anyone else faced similar issue?

Prices have been calculated keeping canteen (CSD) prices in mind, hence the lower prices.

I have test driven TSI and absolutely love it but in terms of sheer driving pleasure one doesn't get to know anything when driving lower than the speed of tortoise in traffic.

Someone should invent air conditioned bicycles for commute. Will reach earlier by them then driving

@Cartman - Recently saw grand i10 and liked it, but you are right being a segment below does not really give a upgrade feeling.

Anyone any idea if a Diesel AT hatch is being considered for launch in near future?

Last edited by heydj : 1st May 2015 at 23:26.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 23:48   #176
BHPian

May I suggest the new GenX Nano with the AMT? Agreed, that it's segments lower than cars we are talking about. But, it will be the easiest to drive in traffic and will be a hell lot pocket friendly with that two cylinder engine. And for the fun joy rides, you can have the Swift!
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 00:37   #177
BHPian

Quote:
@Cartman - Recently saw grand i10 and liked it, but you are right being a segment below does not really give a upgrade feeling.

Anyone any idea if a Diesel AT hatch is being considered for launch in near future?
Volkswagen missed an opportunity by not launching a GT TDi DSG. If they could've somehow managed to price it around what the GT TSi is offered for, it'd have sold by the dozen! The Celerio ZDi is coming up; not entirely certain if the AMT will be offered on it. That said, the Celerio won't be an upgrade either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
May I suggest the new GenX Nano with the AMT? Agreed, that it's segments lower than cars we are talking about. But, it will be the easiest to drive in traffic and will be a hell lot pocket friendly with that two cylinder engine. And for the fun joy rides, you can have the Swift!
Neel, if a Grand i10 is a downgrade - safe to assume the Nano is out of question. It can be an addition to the garage though, I agree.

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 07:45   #178
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
9 kmpl is understandable if you're route has a lot of traffic. Else, 9 kmpl on a swift is not acceptable.

Quote:
Vento and Rapid are good options, but their reliability(of DSG) and ASS remains a gamble. I think you could benefit from a diesel only if you use it for >2000 km a month

Quote:
Brio and Amaze are good cars, but would recommend you to buy Vento TSI as it's got more space. Please check the feedback on the dealers in your area.

Else, why not wait for the Jazz CVT?
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 09:32   #179
BANNED

Quote:

I wish to buy a car with automatic gears and am confused what to buy.
We have a similar issue pattern but I do a much longer distance overall i.e. 120 kms a day so looking at your usage Petrol does seem to fit well unless you have outstation trips that could demand a diesel heart to keep the pocket happy.

If the running isn't going to be more than 1500 kms a month then stick to petrol unless your ready to spend the 'extra' money that the diesel car commands equivalent to its petrol counterpart.

As your commute comprises of city traffic would urge for a hatchback and as you are interested in Automatic transmission check before my suggestions:

Petrol AT : Honda Brio VX AT
Petrol MT: Swift ZXi (if interested).

Diesel MT: Swift ZDi or many more choices
Diesel AT :VW Vento DSG

Quote:
Something is wrong here.

Either the road you traffic is too dense it there is some fault in car or you are enjoying revving the car.

Last edited by a4anurag : 2nd May 2015 at 09:36.
Old 3rd May 2015, 11:10   #180
BHPian

@Neel I would have considered Nano if I had more cars in the garage.

@D4D Jazz CVT is on my radar but if they price it like Polo TSI then would have difficult choice.

My office is shifting next to metro station in 15 days, Diesel would not be required any more.

I have a question regarding AT - how is it to drive in hills and is engine braking as easy as in MT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks