Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2015, 19:16   #286
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Grand i10 is indeed a better all rounder. It's just that Brio "drives better" and is safer than grand. Rest, in all other departments, the i10 shines.
Why I suggested brio was because I thought, your friend might be looking at something a bit "exclusive" when you mentioned about the cheap car image part and also it is stronger on the safety front.
I own a Grand i10 and I am happy with it. The only downside is that the safety features are only available in the top trim and that too as an option. That is what bugs me even today.
Otherwise it is comfortable, feature packed and okay to drive. Easy to maintain as well.
Thanks. The perspective was very helpful. The models for both Brio and Grand i10 she is looking at do not have airbags or ABS

I forgot to mention that she dislikes Brio interiors. She likes Grand i10 that way. Any info on Figo petrol?
Old 20th October 2015, 19:24   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Any info on Figo petrol?
Nope. But as the reports state, it is the diesel that packs the fun part.
I suggest your friend to test drive all the options and then make a call. That would clear up things much better to her.

Regards,
Shreyak
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 19:27   #288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Grand i10 is indeed a better all rounder. It's just that Brio "drives better" and is safer than grand.
Any source of this information? Grand i10 has a compromised build as we know, but let's not make statements like 'Brio is safer than Grand' till it is tested as well.

My choice would be the new Figo. Fresh new product and she obviously likes it, based on the comments above.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th October 2015 at 19:30.
Old 20th October 2015, 20:03   #289

Thanks Rajeevraj. You are right. Just had a TD for dzire and felt the back space to be desiring for more. Haven't driven the Jazz but on space and looks Jazz does score higher.
I was eliminated ford and Hyundai as many of my friends told that both these brands are expensive to maintain compared to Maruti and Honda.
I had been on couple of Ertigas and found considerable wobbling due to poor suspension on vehicles which have run less than 30k Kms.

I think waiting for Baleno is a good suggestion. Thanks. I will wait for same before deciding
Old 20th October 2015, 20:44   #290
Senior - BHPian

We have rumours flying about Brio to be discontinued, I request you to factor in that info also.
It may well be a rumour but if any member has any more info, it would be invaluable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Thanks. The perspective was very helpful. The models for both Brio and Grand i10 she is looking at do not have airbags or ABS
I forgot to mention that she dislikes Brio interiors. She likes Grand i10 that way. Any info on Figo petrol?
Old 20th October 2015, 23:56   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any source of this information? Grand i10 has a compromised build as we know, but let's not make statements like 'Brio is safer than Grand' till it is tested as well.

My choice would be the new Figo. Fresh new product and she obviously likes it, based on the comments above.
Thanks. Figo is an enticing package and great value too. What's your take on the petrol version; the 1.2. Is it a worthy investment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
We have rumours flying about Brio to be discontinued, I request you to factor in that info also.
It may well be a rumour but if any member has any more info, it would be invaluable.
Brio is not being considered. It is too outdated. Trying to understand if there are buyers for petrol ford cars or hyundai/maruti lead the pack. That should seal the deal.
Old 23rd October 2015, 17:45   #292
BHPian

Hi,
I own a Ritz vdi that has done 1.45 lac kms. I use it for commuting to work, which is a 100 km drive every day. On an average I cover 2500 kms a month giving me an FE of between 18-21 kms per litre of diesel depending on AC & Non AC use. My commute comprises of 80 kms of highway driving and the rest in city both ways. My Ritz is approaching its fifth birthday and good to go for another 5 years atleast. I was pondering over whether to go in for a new car. If so, can esteemed members recommend what car to go in for ?
Old 23rd October 2015, 18:05   #293
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
I was pondering over whether to go in for a new car. If so, can esteemed members recommend what car to go in for ?
This is a very BIG question and like wanting to find a fish in an ocean. Please do good is your priorities so that shirt listing is easier:

1) Do you need a Hatch/Sedan
2) Look at your usage: Diesel it is
3) Budget
Old 29th November 2015, 05:35   #294
BHPian

Safe Hatchback for wife (Completely New driver)

I have gone through almost all the reviews and comparison threads on team-bhp forum in last one month and have been doing research about which car to buy. In the end i think i wanted to have opinion of folks to help me decide which hatchback i should buy for wife who has recently learned to drive.

Mods: Please move thread to appropriate section if needed.

History:
My wife has recently learned to drive car and she is comfortable driving on decent roads. Still when it comes to Delhi peak traffic she has hard time driving around on main roads. Recently she has got job so we are planning to buy
second car for her daily activity.

Existing cars:
We already have VW Vento Highline TDI at home for 5 years and Vento will be the car which will do most of highways. In all these years there has never been any kind of accidents or insurance claim so its still like brand new (Apart from few painting some kids made when it was parked).
We also have Santro at home which is 13 years old maintained very nicely so in very good condition. Currently wife is using it to get more comfortable while driving. Once we buy new car Santro will be going to brother.

Requirements from new car (Priority wise)
  • Since wife is still new driver i want to buy safe car. It should atleast have driver side Airbag (I am short listing 2 Airbag + ABS variants of models if they exist)
  • Maintanence and spare part cost should not be high. After owning Vento i am little worried about it.
  • When i initially started i had 4.5L in mind but i think i can strech it to 6L but dont want to go beyond this.
  • Since daily driving is going to be less than 20-30 KM (Monthly 400-500KM) so petrol makes more sense.
  • Manual Transmission. Wife wants to learn MT and she is ready to spend more time and put more effort learning it but she does not want to restrict her self to driving Automatic only. However AT is not out of the question completely and test drive is pending for same as well. After test drive of Celerio AT it will be her decision without me interfering in it.
  • Do not care about internal creature comfort like Push button start, Music systems, Auto climate control, Steering mounted control, boot space, back seat space, rear power window etc etc.
  • Do not care much about FE. Since it will not be driven more.

Rejected cars which we have checked:
Wagon R: Good car but wife did not like looks. Seems like WagonR is not famous among ladies.
Hyundai Eon, i10: They have excellent interior compared to competitors but I am not too keen on interiors. If we exclude interiors than they seems not so VFM option. Lacks safety feature and even if driver side airbag is there competitors are giving it for lesser price.
Brio: New platform Brio is coming next year so do not want to buy older version now. Is it good enough reason to reject a car?
I20/Jazz: Variants with ABS+Airbag were either out of budget and they are not compact hatchback so again not comfortable driving around.
Etios Liva: Middle MID was turnoff and somehow this does not attract me. Wife also did not like this when we checked in showroom.
Tata Cars: Brother has Manza and we have seen Tata A.S.S. first hand. Do not want to go through same experience so no Tata this time.
Polo: Out of budget and already own vento so do not want to buy Polo as maintenance is heavy.
Datun Go: NCAP rating is bad and this car does not give anything excellent to be shortlisted.
Nissan:Landlord has Micra and A.S.S. is week area.
Punto: Good car but emotion variant is out of budget.
Swift: Dated looks. I would rather buy Baleno Delta than Swift ZXI

Please feel free to post your suggestion if i have rejected any car prematurely. I would definitely take another look if you suggest the same.

Shortlisted cars:

Baleno: We test drove Baleno twice. Since it has ABS + 2 Airbags on all variants and its backup by Maruti A.S.S. Its Delta variant sound like good VFM car. However wife did not feel comfortable while driving it due to its bigger size/dimensions. Visibility from driver seat was also a concern. So most likely dropping it from list.

Alto K10: Test drove once. Liked the car for easy to drive factor in city but i have doubts about safety so dropped this.

Kwid: Good package compared to competitors. I have no issue it being 800cc car since for city driving it would be sufficient and wife is not so enthusiastic driver. It has driver side Airbag however there is no news on structure integrity and strength. Waiting period is not so much issue as well since we can wait 4-5 months. Overall its good choice and easy on budget as well. Wife liked the looks also. However since i can stretch my budget and safety is my main concern, i am certain its not as safe as following 3 cars so Kwid is last in my short list as of now.

Grand i10: Selecting Asta (O) variant which has 2 Airbag + ABS. After discount etc it would be little over 6L on road New Delhi. Hyundai has good A.S.S. as well. overall its proven car. During test drive i did not find anything bad about it. Engine was good to drive in city.

Ford Figo Titanium 1.2:Has safety features and looks are good. People commented that Petrol engine is not so good but while test drive i think this engine has good enough power for city and would not be slow for wife for whom kwid 800cc was also fine. As far as structural safety and build quality goes i think Figo is better or this was the case with old one but new one is not so good in terms of build quality when compared to grand i10, Celerio etc? I think she liked EPS light handling. Overall Figo is top runner in short list. Only worry is maintenance and spare part cost. Since i will keep car for more than 5-6 years so this is only concern. Visibility was bit issue but she was most likely comparing with Santro (which has very good visibility all around).

Celerio AMT: Liked the internal space and was easy to drive as well. Apart from figo, grand I10 this is also a good option. Infact if we plan to go with AT than this is the only option.

So in the end i am confused among following cars
- New Figo Titanium
- Grand i10 Asta (o)
- Celerio ZXI AMT

Please suggest and provide your opinion

Some of the questions i have
  1. How costly Figo maintenance is compared to Celerio, Grand i10. I am planning to keep car for more than 5-6 years and want to have peaceful A.S.S. experience
  2. Should i wait for Maruti to launch ABS + Airbag as option in Celerio AMT ? Even right now Zxi AMT does not have ABS.
  3. How does Grand i10 compares in term of safety with Figo? Is it a VFM package? i don't want to spend money on interior candy features
  4. If i take Zero-dep insurance and car is in accident than is everything covered? airbag etc etc
Old 29th November 2015, 13:57   #295
BHPian

Re: Safe Hatchback for wife (Completely New driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post

So in the end i am confused among following cars
- New Figo Titanium
- Grand i10 Asta (o)
- Celerio ZXI AMT

Please suggest and provide your opinion

Some of the questions i have
  1. How costly Figo maintenance is compared to Celerio, Grand i10. I am planning to keep car for more than 5-6 years and want to have peaceful A.S.S. experience
  2. Should i wait for Maruti to launch ABS + Airbag as option in Celerio AMT ? Even right now Zxi AMT does not have ABS.
  3. How does Grand i10 compares in term of safety with Figo? Is it a VFM package? i don't want to spend money on interior candy features
  4. If i take Zero-dep insurance and car is in accident than is everything covered? airbag etc etc
First, your questions:
1.As far I know Ford and Hyundai are not very far off in terms of maintenance, more or less the same. Also Ford has started selling parts over the counter so getting OEM spares will not be a worry incase you find servicing at the ASS too expensive. Same with Hyundai.

2.If I was you, I'd just strike the Celerio off the list, it's prices so close to the Swift, doesn't feel worth it, even the interior is kind of cramped, don't even get me started on the build quality, certainly miles away from Ford or Hyundai.

3.The Grand i10 is a good car, albeit a little underpowered and so is the 1.2l unit in the Figo. Build quality wise I'd go with the Ford. Compare their kerb weight and you'll know the difference and since you own a VW, I'm pretty sure you know what that means.

4. In zero dep insurance, everything is covered and normally all you have to do is pay the one time processing charge which comes to around 1.5 - 2k and maybe some consumables, kindly check with your insurance provider for the same. The terms of insurance vary from insurer to insurer.

Now the comparison part, like I stated earlier I'd strike the Celerio off so I'm not including that.

Between the Figo and Grand i10, I'd personally prefer the Figo, it being a fresh product with good reviews being the first point. The Grand i10 is already 2-2.5 years old or more.

Both are kind of under powered so finally it all comes down to which one you like more, in this case your wife since she is the one who has to live with it on a day to day basis. Just ask her preference first and if she's confused take a back to back test drive of both cars, that will surely clear the air around it.

Both the cars are equally feature loaded in their top end trims which is what you're looking for. So I guess that's it. You know who has to make the decision. You wouldn't want to hear the end of it incase you select the car and after a few months she's not all that into it anymore.

Thank you for reading.
noelnelly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 20:25   #296
BHPian

Hi Karan, given your three options, the best one seems to be the New Figo. I don't like Hyundai's build quality or Maruti's for that matter. In fact, as far as I know, almost all hatchbacks in the Indian market failed the NCAP safety test miserably. The only one which survived with metaphorical scratches was the Polo. I'd recommend a VW any day to anyone. Higher cost & maintenance but the build quality is just way too good. I've personally known 3 people who've had really bad accidents in a VW & walked away unscathed. That being said, since it's over your budget, Figo seems to be the best option. It's a peppy engine, good build quality, decent interiors, all in all, a decent city car. Good luck!
polo_ankit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 21:27   #297
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The impression that Ford's service is expensive was built upon its initial Mondeo, Endeavour and Fusion days. That does not hold true now and from what I have heard Hyundai servicing and maintenance is quite expensive.
In fact one of the members posted a part price comparison chart made by Ford comparing Figo to its rivals in either the official thread or the thread which was running prior to that, and Figo was the cheapest in most of the categories.
Also since safety is your main concern I'd suggest you to get the Titanium+ for the peace of mind.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 21:30   #298
BHPian

Have been using the old diesel figo since its launch. Initial service used to cost between 2500-3000 Rs. In the last service @ 40000 kms apart from regular oil, oil filter front brake pads, fuel filter were changed and the EGR was cleaned which costed Rs. 7000/-. Last month @ 42000 kms the Drive belt snapped and the belt itself along with tension pulley and idler pulley was changed which again came up at Rs. 7000/-.

I quoted above details just to explain that the maintenance part is not as bad and comparable to hyundai/maruti. Also, I have a diesel and a petrol should be even cheaper to maintain.

Yes, the build is lighter when compared to the old version but lighter doesn't mean unsafe. As you are targeting top end versions which come with highest level of safety kit as compared to competition; you should stop worrying about it.

Apart from the figo I would suggest to give TATA a shot and wait for the Zica. The car does look promising.

Happy Shopping!
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 21:38   #299
Team-BHP Support

I would choose Celerio Zxi AMT. Can you order the car with ABS as an optional extra?

Having an AT option in a 2 car garage is a good idea. Even if your wife can manage fine with a manual, you can take the AT car on your weekend outings (within the city) when you KNOW that traffic will be terrible.

We have a Civic & A-star automatic in our garage, and I personally prefer taking the A-star AT on our weekend outings .
Old 29th November 2015, 22:53   #300
BHPian

My recommendation would be the Ford Figo or the Hyundai Grand i10. The reason is very simple - ABS. It's a very useful safety feature.

The interior quality on the Grand i10 is excellent and it is very easy to drive in the city owing to the light controls. The Figo is an excellent car too but the interiors don't feel as good. Do not go in a for a car without ABS in my humble opinion. It is something which helps a driver often.
amansanc is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed