Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2017, 19:52   #361
BHPian

Re: Ignis Petrol Alpha or something more VFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
If you clock less miles and need a petrol car, the Baleno makes most sense. The only issue I find is that the build quality feels a tad flimsy and ofcourse the long waiting period is another pain but some owners have got their cars delivered earlier than expected.

If you do lot of highway runs then you should consider the Figo Diesel. The 1.5 diesel engine is a gem of a motor. The interior, though looks simple, is quite spacious and functional. The running costs are also on the lower side I am told. At the price, it is a total VFM package. The unfortunate part is that the car is not able to find buyers. The Figo, specially in its diesel avatar, deserves to sell more !
These two are the best options in my opinion too. i20 is the best premium hatchback but its petrol engine is very weak. Check out Fiat Punto Evo as well, if you are OK to buy a Fiat.

Do check out the second hand car market once. In your budget you should be able to get a very good condition Octavia or Civic.
Old 14th January 2017, 21:08   #362
BANNED

@coplay , you can look at the following options. Ignis Sigma, Jazz E 1.2 or the Figo Titanium D. Another good option is Ameo D Trendline. These are the best VFMs available in the market today. Why pay for features? All of the above stated have Airbags as standard. Features never bring back the price that you pay now, when you sell it.
Old 15th January 2017, 02:03   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ask for a swap ! There will be enough people waiting to pick up the Ignis.
Is that even an option ? Maybe I'm too ignorant to be aware of such a cool idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
i20 Sportz Petrol
i20

S-Cross Sigma
I agree that the i20 is a beautiful car. Just that I wouldn't buy it for 2 reasons.
1. The 1.2L engine is weak.
2. I hate the artificial EPS. After having driven an older Gen FIgo, OHC, SX4, the EPS doesn't make me feel connected with the road.

S- Cross - This car is just so fantastic. But way out of my league. Agree with everything you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
@coplay , you can look at the following options. Ignis Sigma, Jazz E 1.2 or the Figo Titanium D
If I'm looking at a Jazz, I would prefer an older Gen Jazz. Just love that car. Thanks anyway, the FIgo is on my list.

Last edited by Coplay : 15th January 2017 at 02:05.
Old 15th January 2017, 10:19   #364
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you test drive a Polo TSI. You will forget about all these underpowered cars then.

Especially since you don't care particularly for rear seats, if you can stretch your budget. It satisfies all your requirements.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 15th January 2017 at 10:21.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 16:23   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
Is that even an option ? Maybe I'm too ignorant to be aware of such a cool idea
Negotiation !! Right now you have paid a booking amount. The car has not even been "allocated" to you .. forget about invoicing it / registering it in your name. So talk to the sales advisor and ask him to switch the booking for a different model.
Old 19th February 2017, 12:53   #366
BANNED

S-Cross 1.3Zeta vs I20 Active 1.4SX

"Its very Tough decision to make when it come to buying a new Car, You know that Right!!"

Hello Guys,
My name is Swapnil, I am from Pune, Maharashtra.

So to start with, this thought came up in November-2016.
Driving my Alto LXI + CNG, Crossed 100000KM on ODO.
It seemed that its now time for a new Car, So I started looking for various new Car in Market. Checking their reviews, long term reviews.

Background.: A 2008 Model Maruti Suzuki Alto LXI, per-owned, bought it in 2011(@55000KM of previous owner),I use Alto daily for office - home drive (@50KM)..Fitted CNG kit in 2013(@65000KM )when I got my first salary.. after that its going very good.Recently crossed 100000km – Gives @ 22km per KG CNG in city traffic and 28+ km per KG CNG on highway, just loving it. (Cost of CNG per KG – Rs 44.50.)

I might not use the term RPM in this entire message because I don’t know how it really works, don’t have any RPM meter in Alto.

Coming back point, In November 2016 saw couple of new cars which crossed my mind..

I20 active and S-cross (1.3 Alpha completely out of budget)

I checked Many others too..but i did found these two better than all others..(would be OK if any one suggest other cars.)
I know Both of them are not alike but will be settling between any one of these two

Basic need:
  1. Every weekday mornings, I drive 25km in traffic to my office.And evening again 25km in traffic back to home.So very basic need is to get myself to office in Calm mood (i.e very good drive comfort in traffic)
  2. Still not sure Diesel or Petrol (50km office drives weekdays + 500km long drive weekends once in a month.)
  3. ABS+Disk brakes+At least 2 airbags.(must have)
  4. Good Fuel Efficiency
  5. Good comfort for back seats.
  6. Seating capacity of 4-5
  7. Good Ground Clearance
  8. Good boot space
  9. Better infotainment system
Not looking for sedan.
Will own new car for at-least 8 to 10 years

Test drives:

Dad and I, we both took long test drives(~30km traffic + highway condition) for both these cars in last week.. and was impressed by both.

S-Cross - 4 peoples in car - Me, Mom, Dad, Nexa representative
I20 Active – 3 persons in car – Me, Dad, Hyundai representative.

All the below results are subjective and might differ with others.

1.4L Engine
Good pickup don’t lag even in 3rd gear at low speed too.
6 gear transmission
Very good Suspension
OK handling
Good looks
6 air bags

S cross
1.3L engine
Cruise Control
good (FE)Fuel Efficiency
All Disk Brakes
OK looks
Enough Boot Space

Dislikes:I20 active
Very less leg room for back seat
Less FE
Less boot space

S cross
The driver seat is bit low in height, even when it is adjusted to max height.
Lags at low speed at 3rd gear, have to switch it to 2nd gear couple of times..
A bit noisy inside.
no Rear AC vents
Suspension could be better.
I was able to hear crackling noise from back, every time car hit a pot hole.(Could depend on test drive car?)

Test drive was totally focused on drive quality, comfort and the ability to drive it in dense traffic and bad patches of road. so did not thoroughly checked the infotainment system on any of them.

Hyundai support

Hyundai quoted me i20Active 1.4SX ---- Rs 1190000.
I20 Active 1.2SX ---- Rs 995000.
No Corporate discount, no discount at all.
3 years unlimited kilometer warranty

NEXA support
Nexa quoted me S-cross 1.3 Zeta for ---- Rs 1159000
And Rs 10000 Corporate Discount.
4 years unlimited Kilometer warranty.
Complimentary Auto Rear view mirror Nexa Accessory.
It seams that S-Cross 1.3 will be having new set of alloy wheels now.

And also asked him for new set of tyres. He said it depends on the lot received it will be either Michelin or Apolo or JK Elanjo

I asked for Michelin Tyre.

Decision makers: MOM, DAD, Me and You Guys
MOM: don’t waste so much money go for 1.2SX petrol i20 Active and save for future..
DAD: I20 petrol is good but I liked S-cross, but it costs a lot.
Me:I liked both, Mind is pulling towards I20, But my heart is pulling towards S-cross.

But still the confusion remains.. where to go forward..

Answers for the following questions will help me make my decision.
  1. Petrol or Diesel, as initial cost of diesel is high.
  2. How is after Sales Support for both Hyundai and Nexa?
  3. Service cost for both? coming from Petrol background(@2000 per year)
  4. Cost of Car spare parts?
  5. High expectation on FE, coming from ALTO
  6. which Car will give good Comfort?
  7. Should I wait for Scross Petrol, but not sure when it will be out.
  8. Good resale after 8-10 years.
Attached Thumbnails
The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!-990e061m70000.jpg  

Old 19th February 2017, 20:34   #367
Senior - BHPian

Re: S-Cross 1.3Zeta vs I20 Active 1.4SX

Few points...
- Hyundai is hell bent on selling an i20 & it's too old model for them now. Key point is, go to them with a cheque book & start the discussion & you can see the discounts being thrown. I'm stating the fact because this actually happened for me in Dec & I'm sure it will happen now but there won't be steep discounts as it was in Dec. I'm surprised as why Hyundai is not offering discounts. They've one of THE BEST sales team in here, they will go down that extra mile than any other car seller in this country to make you buy one. May be you wait till Mar end to see if the game changes.

- I would suggest to go with 1.3 Zeta instead of Alpha. Reason is simple...the HID of Alpha is not that great. I'm assuming they're borrowed from Brezza which is a good show piece than functionality + these white lights are bad when it rains & why to turn them automatically? Zeta has traditional yellow 60/55 output which you may opt to upgrade easily later with a relay & the outcome will be far more pleasing. Auto rain sensor...phew!! better to control them manual, unnecessary sensor. LED position lamps...do you really use them? Are you too much inclined on leather upholstery? Other than this Zeta & Alpha are nearly the same.

- Also remember, if you're going to make long drives, the cruise control is a great boon. No need for you to always cruise in 120, you can choose to cruise in 60 Kmph on an empty stretch, relax your legs for a while.

Now to answer you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil14327 View Post
1. Petrol or Diesel, as initial cost of diesel is high
Diesel initial cost is high...but when you make your journey, Diesel is going to make you smile. The fuel needle kind of gets struck at "F"
Quote:
Maruti or Nexa are top notch in this country & if you're pampered by Alto's service, you may not be expecting Hyundai to live up to the standard of Maruti
Quote:
1.3 Zeta or 1.4 Active are going to be on higher side. Check the S-Cross official thread here & there're some cost work out shared by owners.
Quote:
Hyundai is slightly higher than Maruti
Quote:
Think no further other than the FE monster - Maruti
Quote:
6. Which Car will give good Comfort?
You'll have to TD both again; from my experience, I found Hyundai has a very soft suspension setup that gives you a very plush ride, but SCross has a slight stiff (compared to i20) suspension setup. The difference is felt on bad roads/patchy or rocky stretches. Maruti handles them easily, but I couldn't feel like abusing i20 as Maruti as I felt the suspension is too soft & the bumpiness could be felt.
Quote:
7. Should I wait for Scross Petrol, but not sure when it will be out
God knows!! But again, I'm assuming Maruti might plonk the 110 PS 3 pot (Baleno RS) engine. Reviews from abroad states the engine is very harsh, noisy & not smooth. I could accept that because, coming from a F10D engine that's silky smooth on WagonR, I couldn't accept the K10 engine making so much noise.
Quote:
8. Good resale after 8-10 years
Think no further other than Maruti

Whatever you choose...Good luck

Last edited by aargee : 19th February 2017 at 20:35.
Old 19th February 2017, 20:52   #368
BANNED

Quote:
[b]

Welcome to the Forum! I'll answer these questions one by one.

- Your usage is pretty much on the line (1500 kms a month approx) but since you will keep the car for 8-10 years, you can definitely justify a diesel. But don't keep it a strict requirement since the costs won't come out that different and resale after so long will definitely be better in case of a petrol

- A.S.S is pretty much the best for both these brands.

- For service you are looking at 5-7k for an yearly service. Would be similar for most cars in this price range.

- Spares are reasonable too. Take a look at the recent Autocar issue that come out with comparison on all cars

- FE will be much better in a diesel, but in a petrol you could be dissappointed. ~12 kmpl is the best most cars would give on petrol

S cross will not fetch good resale, simply because it is not a popular car. As good as the product may be, the demand is low. Even the i20, don't expect to get a lot more on resale than a regular i20 would fetch. again, the demand.

As per your requirements. It doesn't necessarily require an SUV, I would suggest you to look at the Honda jazz since it covers all your requirements at a better price. Resale and reliability would also be much better. And since all your daily running is in traffic, look at the CVT.

If you really need a SUV, I suggest the EcoSport or the Brezza. These would be covering all your requirements and good resale too.

Although I get the feeling that you might have already tried these and found something lacking in either of these. If i may ask what was that?
Old 19th February 2017, 21:20   #369
Senior - BHPian

I seriously think you should consider Jazz, Baleno or Ertiga AT because of the amount of city driving you do. I think 1500 kms running of fine with a petrol engine.

If you are hell bent on your current choices, pick the S-Cross. There's simply no reason why I would pick the i20 over the S-Cross unless I needed a 4m long car. The S-Cross is simply more superior and has better ride, handling, GC, space and interiors. The 1.3 DDiS is not as good as the 1.4 diesel from Hyundai, but even that can be solved with a remap. (Check sudeepg's thread)

There were rumors that a petrol variant of the S-Cross will launch in mid-2017, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon considering there are many cars on priority for MSIL.

You could wait and see if MSIL launches a Baleno Boosterjet with 6 airbags. Also, try out the Figo AT, although i wouldn't strongly recommend it due to the space requirement.
Old 19th February 2017, 21:27   #370
BHPian

For all your requirements, S-Cross ticks.

You're not loosing much in choosing Zeta S Cross over Alpha Variant. Rear seat comfort is excellent in this Category.

As far as the New Facelift is concerned, there is no word from Nexa (as usual from any Showroom).

Fuel efficiency of Petrol engines will be dismal as the weight of the Vehicle goes up, since Petrol engines have lower torque.
Old 19th February 2017, 21:31   #371
BANNED

Interesting thread.
My suggestion would be to check the EcoSport AT out. The amount of city traffic driving you do, you'll love the automatic. Other option would be Ameo DSG TDI.
Next up between i20 and Scross. I feel since you're buying the top end i20, it'll pamper you better than the lower variant SCross. My suggestion would be to splurge for the alpha or stick with the i20 diesel, the petrol i20 is really slow.
Whatever you choose, it'll be a fabulous upgrade from the alto.

Go with what your heart says, bud. You're keeping it for 8 years. There should not be any buyers remorse.
Also check the EMI difference between the zeta and alpha over the 7 year period. Hell, even throw in the 1.6 into the mix. You will be pleasantly surprised at how low it costs per month to get the top end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Whatever you choose...Good luck
Every feature, every sensor all add up to convenience and feel good factor. Thats why to some people they're worth paying for
FYI, the breza has halogen projectors, the alpha scross has proper bixenons.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 19th February 2017 at 21:35.
Old 19th February 2017, 21:52   #372
BHPian

A Polo GT TSI for my mother

We were okay with the cars we had until my mom started a new hospital and her timings changed. Prior to this she and my grandfather were sharing an i20 diesel driven by a driver, after dropping my mother driver would come back to pick up my grandfather likewise in evening car would ply two times to get my mother and grandfather home. This went on for about 4-5 months but mother started feeling a little dependent and that’s when it was decided that it is time to buy the fifth car for our house. She would probably prefer to drive herself which would be 15 kilometers every day and double of that on weekends. According to this monthly usage would be 500 kilometers. Her car will not be used on highway.

The cars that are already in our house –
1.My mother and Grandfather share this car - Hyundai i20 Diesel Magna(o) bought in 2013 January. ODO Reading 70K Kilometers The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!-20130628-06.32.35.jpg
2.That’s what my father drives daily who is also an automobile enthusiast
- Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel 4wd bought in September 2012. ODO Reading 63K Kilometers
The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!-img_2572.jpg
3.I use a Hyundai Verna Sx Diesel bought in March 2014. ODO Reading 58K Kilometers
The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!-img_3613.jpg
4.This car sits in the parking lot and waits for weekend when we take it for a spin-
BMW GT Luxury line bought in January 2016. ODO Reading 6890 Kilometers
Link to its car buying thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...y-commute.html
The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451749528.214534.jpg

Initially my dad had thought of buying a Mini Cooper or a VW Beetle for mother and so we went to check out the Beetle which costed about 32 lakhs on road Ahmedabad and Cooper was not available on display in Ahmedabad. I showed my friends Cooper Diesel to my mother which costed him close to 44 lakhs. Once we experienced both these cars, my mother felt that she would find it difficult to drive these cars in traffic in her daily routine. She said that she would have to be very cautious if she is driving a beetle to hospital every day. Mother also felt that if she would like to appoint a driver in future then sitting next to driver would not be comfortable as the rear seats of both the cooper and beetle are practically unusable.

This made the us jump in the sub 10 lakh category and the real hunt began again. Although I knew what we need to buy, the exercise of checking out cars available was very much necessary. Her requirements were like – small car, automatic would be great, it should definitely have parking aids, navigation, fancy color and should suit a female.

Cars Considered
Grand i10 Sports(O) AT – My mother test drove it and the felt that car was loaded to the brim like any other Hyundai car. It was comfortable for her to use but we are now tired of using Hyundai cars so we ruled it out.

Honda Brio VX AT – We drove manual as well as automatic. This was a delicate and easy to use car and my mother fell in love with it, she was like that’s it, I don’t want to look at any other car. Manual impressed me but the automatic one felt like a mismatch and would rev a lot but would not move forward. Although my mother felt that she was okay with the level of refinement in brio, I was not ready to accept a weak auto box in our family.

Polo GT TSI – I had been reading a lot about this car on internet and had also driven my friends GT a couple of times but didn’t get a chance to really push it until me and my mother took a generously long test drive last Sunday. I was blown away by the silky smooth shifts by the 7 speed DSG transmission and the sound it made in sports mode. My mother liked the quality it offered and its black interior also red color perfectly matched its body and our requirements too. One thing I declared was the if she buys this car then I am using it happily on Sundays. We were not looking for things like a good back seat, good rear leg room and rear AC vents.

Key Points For Polo GT Tsi –
Mother liked its drive-ability
Black Interiors
Red Color
Me and my father felt that after a long time we got our hands on a fun to drive car
Long Term Maintenance cost and a Low Resale value
It is costing about 2.5 lakhs more than an automatic Brio though it is not directly comparable but in our case it is.

Ameo Diesel Highline DSG
I suggested this car as it is costs just 60k more than a GT TSI and has a bigger boot and diesel would be economic to use too but after driving it we felt that it is not as smooth as a petrol 1.2 TSI and it doesn’t put a smile on our face while we redline in sports mode. Fun factor was must if we were spending more, so this car was ruled out.

Vento TSI -
Though I was not considering this as an option but my father considered it as it is not that expensive and is equally enjoyable to drive as the GT TSI. Being a sedan this would suit a doctor’s image but what me and my mother think is that we don’t really need that extra length.

Conclusion – Polo GT TSI is mostly final. What we are afraid of is a face lift or a totally new model in the coming 2 years as Polo is present in the Indian market from a long time. Minor changes like new bumpers and new lights are fine but if a new body shell arrives then that will disappoint us like it happened with our i20 and Santa Fe. I request you to throw some light on this upcoming model issue.

Thank You

Last edited by 197Horses : 19th February 2017 at 21:56. Reason: Wrong post icon
197Horses is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 22:03   #373

Hi swapnil14327,

Since you will be driving 50 KM per day in intense traffic, I would recommend you to consider Jazz V CVT (Rs 9.4 Lacs OTR) and Figo Titanium 1.5 AT (Rs 8.6 Lacs OTR) in addition to your shortlists.

Now, here are my replies to your questions:

1. Please calculate properly how long it will take to reach the break-even point for Diesel premium with your usage. I have seen Diesel vehicles fetching considerably greater Maintenance Cost compared to their petrol counterparts. Petrol will give you lower NVH levels resulting into better driving experience.

2. Hardly anything to choose between the After Sales Service of Maruti and Hyundai. Both are fantastic.

3. Service charges are marginally lesser for Maruti.

4. Cost of Spares are cheaper for Maruti.

5. Don’t expect anything close to the mileage of Alto from S Cross/I 20 Active/Jazz/Figo. With a light foot you may extract 16-17 kmpl in the highway and 14-15 kmpl in the city driving conditions.

6. I 20 Active is better than S Cross in terms of comfort levels. But I found Jazz to be the most comfortable car in its class (personal opinion though).

7. There is no certainty as to when the Petrol S Cross will surface in the Indian market.

8. S Cross sells more than I 20 Active and hence I think resale value will be greater for S Cross.

Thanks.

Saptarshi.
Old 19th February 2017, 22:18   #374
BHPian

Considering you are planning to keep the car for 8-10 years, it has to be S-Cross in my opinion. The i20 leaves a lot of things unfulfilled which would trigger a wish to upgrade earlier. Its a whole size smaller than the S-Cross which is a true crossover, rather than a converted hatch like i20 Active. If you can wait, the facelift is expected sometime around Diwali.

Since you like the i20 Active, you might also want to check out WR-V launching on 16th Marc (reportedly). It will also feature CVT unit, which is a proven unit from Honda, and should provide you with good comfort for the 50km drive you do daily.

Quote:
Go with your heart. As someone rightly pointed above, the cost difference wont matter much over 8-10 years, especially in emi terms.

Another segment I feel you should really look at are diesel automatics, considering your running and location of running (city). Diesel AT will be the ideal combination of fuel economy and convenience. Unfortunately, there are very few cars in the category, Ignis AMT, Dzire AMT and Zest AMT. Verna AT is way above your budget. If you can open yourself up for sedans, you can wait wait for the upcoming Dzire refresh which should be right in your alley of comfortable car, with good fuel economy, and easy to maintain. There are also rumors of Brezza AMT over the next few months after it was showcased at Indonesia Auto Show last year.

I might have confused you further, but since the requirements are varied there are a lot of cars that fulfil them in different ways, your decision is what are you ready to compromise

Last edited by ampere : 19th February 2017 at 22:27. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 19th February 2017, 22:25   #375
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Polo GT TSI for my mother

The next gen Polo (even the non MQB version to be launched in India) will probably be a significantly updated car and have major changes to the body, engines, interior etc. but it is quite some time away. Realistically, the wait would be too long for you to hold out. The GT TSI is still the segment benchmark today and the only real negatives are long term reliability of the DSG (not necessarily bad, just untested) and high service costs as you get with all German cars.

In this case the solution is simple: If you and your mom like the car that much, you should buy it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks