Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2017, 22:43   #376
BHPian

Re: A Polo GT TSI for my mother

Congrats. We had also got a GT TSi for my Mom. She absolutely loves that car. Incidentally my mom also moved to a Polo from an i20.
Old 19th February 2017, 22:47   #377
Senior - BHPian

I think you should give the Amaze CVT a try before deciding. It would be comfy and reliable at the same time. I've also driven the Polo GT TSI and was smitten, but the fly in the ointment is the VW after sales and DQ 200 gear box reliability. I've have a feeling you have fallen for the GT more than your mother )
Old 20th February 2017, 00:03   #378
Team-BHP Support

Re: S-Cross 1.3Zeta vs I20 Active 1.4SX

S-Cross 1.3 is the way to go. Look at the Delta and see if you can manage the budget. 50km / day is surely a reason for diesel. The engine will require getting used to. But once you are attuned to it, its perfect for the city and the highway. S-Cross suspension is tuned for being stiffer. Hence the ride is not plush.

With FE, space and boot, I think you should look at S-Cross.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 00:16   #379
BHPian

I am also thinking about gt tsi for my wife around Diwali this year. Main thing I am also worried about is that the model is due for a comprehensive change. Maybe the all new ford ecosport will have been launched by then and will also be a worthy competitor to polo gt tsi in being a newer model and having a dual clutch gearbox with the safety of not becoming generation old 6 months down the line.
Old 20th February 2017, 00:30   #380
BANNED

Try out the Ignis AMT. Its much more compact and easier to drive.

If you want more space, I'd suggest the Figo DCT.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 00:43   #381
BHPian

I agree with agam on Ignis. My mother today booked the Ignis AMT for herself and found the car very easy to drive herself in the city as well being chauffeured driven occasionally considering it has a decent back seat. It has a small turning radius and great visibility. There petrol 1.2 is a good performer in the car considering the light weight. The auto box is decent for city use although it won't be anywhere near the DSG. It's one of the best built marutis with certain areas even better than the baleno. It's only a month old in the market so any concerns regarding impending model changes are not there. There polo GT is a great car but VW ASS horror stories and a 7year old model in india are things that go against it.
Old 20th February 2017, 01:42   #382
Senior - BHPian

Your Polo TSI decision should be largely based on how VW service centres are in your town. Ask VW owners around and you might get some idea. This would be the critical decision in buying a VW.

Between Vento and Polo, you can get Vento with discounts much quicker than the Polo. Polo TSI in most places has a month's waiting time atleast.

You might also want to checkout the Jazz V CVT, Figo/Aspire DCT. Maybe even the City CVT if she is ok with the dimensions with the parking aids available.

The least risky option among this is the Jazz. Dual clutch transmissions do come with that element of risk attached in terms of reliability. That's where your local service centre reputation comes into picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 197Horses View Post
Polo GT TSI is mostly final. What we are afraid of is a face lift or a totally new model in the coming 2 years as Polo is present in the Indian market from a long time.
I don't think the power plants are going to change even if the next gen Polo were to come. The 1.0 TSI and 1.2 TSI are what do duty on the Polo and Fabia in European markets as well. So I don't see the reason to worry. Moreover 2 years is quite a long time period.

Last edited by narayans80 : 20th February 2017 at 01:53.
Old 20th February 2017, 03:14   #383
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil14327 View Post
[*]Petrol or Diesel, as initial cost of diesel is high.
Diesel buddy.

Quote:
[*]How is after Sales Support for both Hyundai and Nexa?
Both are almost at par with slight edge from Maruti.

Quote:
[*]Service cost for both? coming from Petrol background(@2000 per year)
Diesels should get you around 6-7K maximum per service.

Quote:
[*]Cost of Car spare parts?
Maruti to have a slight edge.

Quote:
[*]High expectation on FE, coming from ALTO
The 1.3L aka DDiS200 would take you by a surprise in this department.

Quote:
[*]which Car will give good Comfort?
S-Cross, no doubt.

Quote:
[*]Should I wait for Scross Petrol, but not sure when it will be out.
Petrol variant could be in May IMHO or by year end along with the facelift.

Quote:
[*]Good resale after 8-10 years.
Maruti should fetch you better, I think.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th May 2017 at 16:53. Reason: Typo
Old 20th February 2017, 03:45   #384
BHPian

Quote:

Hello Guys,
My name is Swapnil, I am from Pune, Maharashtra.

Basic need:
  1. Every weekday mornings, I drive 25km in traffic to my office.And evening again 25km in traffic back to home.So very basic need is to get myself to office in Calm mood (i.e very good drive comfort in traffic)
  2. Still not sure Diesel or Petrol (50km office drives weekdays + 500km long drive weekends once in a month.)
  3. ABS+Disk brakes+At least 2 airbags.(must have)
  4. Good Fuel Efficiency
  5. Good comfort for back seats.
  6. Seating capacity of 4-5
  7. Good Ground Clearance
  8. Good boot space
  9. Better infotainment system
Considering your location and daily commute, I would highly recommend you to get an automatic transmission car. It will make your daily commute much less stressful.

Quote:
Will own new car for at-least 8 to 10 years
Considering you want to keep the car for such a long period (and it makes a lot of sense too), you should look at only Japanese or Korean brands like you are. For your requirements, the Jazz CVT seems to be a good fit. Yes, it may seem a little overpriced but then it suits your requirements. I wouldn't recommend Ford Figo AT and VW twins (Polo and Ameo) due to their unproven reliability record.

Quote:
Answers for the following questions will help me make my decision.
  1. Petrol or Diesel, as initial cost of diesel is high.
  2. How is after Sales Support for both Hyundai and Nexa?
  3. Service cost for both? coming from Petrol background(@2000 per year)
  4. Cost of Car spare parts?
  5. High expectation on FE, coming from ALTO
  6. which Car will give good Comfort?
  7. Should I wait for Scross Petrol, but not sure when it will be out.
  8. Good resale after 8-10 years.
Let me answer these in order:
1. Considering your monthly usage isn't too high, go for a petrol car. You save a good amount initially which you can invest somewhere and use the income from it to cover the additional fuel cost.
2. After sales support for both the brands is as good as the service centre of the brand is in your locality. There are good and bad examples for all brands. Usually, Toyota, Honda, Maruti and Hyundai are known to have good service.
3. Service costs will likely be lesser in case of petrol cars. However, forget Rs. 2000 per year costs now. You are moving multiple segments higher. Consider Rs. 6-7k to be the average service cost. Your running would need 2 services in an year.
4. Most Japanese cars in the price band you are looking have similarly priced spare parts, atleast the usual stuff.
5. If high FE is a priority for you, you should look at diesel automatics in your budget. Only two cars come to mind, DZire AMT and VW Ameo Diesel DSG. Both of these are sedans and you did say you are not looking at sedand.
6. Comfort wise, Honda Jazz would be pretty good.
7. S-Cross Petrol is most likely supposed to come with the facelift which is supposed to debut towards the end of this year.
8. Since you are keeping the car for this long, resale should be the last of your concern. The difference between resale of different cars won't even be 1 lakh at the end of 10 years. A small price (10k a year) to pay to get a car of your choice

I hope this helps. Happy shopping!
Old 20th February 2017, 06:07   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"Its very Tough decision to make when it come to buying a new Car, You know that Right!!"

Jumping straight to the questions which will help you in decision making.

Quote:

Petrol or Diesel, as initial cost of diesel is high.
I'd vote in favour of petrol. Not only is the initial cost high for a diesel, the service cost of a diesel car is also a bit higher compared to a petrol(Case in point being Swift P vs Swift D). Then diesels need some regular attention too, like intercooler cleaning, EGR cleaning etc, which is not the case with NA petrols.

But then diesels also have that enormous torque, which is addictive. Ultimately its your choice, but if I am concerned, I'd favour Petrol.

Quote:
How is after Sales Support for both Hyundai and Nexa?
Both are equally competent I'd say.

Quote:
Service cost for both? coming from Petrol background(@2000 per year)
No car will be able to match that, period. Even a NA car like the Swift Petrol will be a bit more expensive to maintain. Diesel powered cars will definitely cost more to service.

You can get an approx idea of the service costs of a small Maruti diesel by going through this thread.

a4anurag's Swift Diesel

Assuming you are considering i20 Diesel vs S cross diesel, the service cost of both will be roughly similar.

Quote:
Cost of Car spare parts?
S Cross 1.3 will have some minor advantage over Hyundai here.

Quote:
High expectation on FE, coming from ALTO
Being diesel, both will exceed your expectations, though Maruti will have an advantage here.

Quote:
which Car will give good Comfort?
Personal choice, though I'd go with S-Cross. You should TD and decide.

Quote:
Should I wait for Scross Petrol, but not sure when it will be out.
Honestly, your running doesn't justify a diesel. 50 kilometers per day translates to 1500kms per month(assuming you forget your weekends). Even I am waiting for the S Cross petrol to come out. But then the big question remains, when!! Maruti is already exporting the 1.5L Petrol S cross to Indonesia.

Quote:
Good resale after 8-10 years.
Both i20 Active diesel and S cross should command similar resale. But since you are keeping the car for long, resale should be the last of your concern.

Some additional points which I would like you to know and consider

- While such a failure hasn't been reported on any S Cross till now, the DDIS 200 which maruti produces has issues with synchronisers. Numerous SX4, Ertiga and some Ciaz owners have faced the issue.
-i20 petrol is too lacklustre.
-Since you mentioned you'll often be commuting through city traffic, I guess you should look at automatics. Jazz/Baleno CVT and Ford Figo 1.5 AT are some of the best choices.
- I don't know about NEXA's warranty, but Maruti's extended warranty term is 4 year/80k kms. I do know cases where people have been misguided by SA's into believing that it is a 4 year unlimited kilometers warranty. So please check on that.
-S cross always gets JK elanzos from factory. No Michelins or Apollos

Sorry for adding a bit more to your confusion.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 20th February 2017 at 06:24.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:58   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
S-Cross suspension is tuned for being stiffer. Hence the ride is not plush.
TBHP official review also mentions that at low speed suspension is a bit stiff. However, is it really uncomfortable at low speeds? Also, by low speed, are we talking about less than 40 km/hr? This is because 1.3 engine is more suited for city drive and we drive most of the time below 50 km/hr in city limits and as a result people will not be able to enjoy the ride in S-Cross in city. High speed ride is much better though.

Which other vehicle today (< 14 lakh) has a better mix of both worlds in city and high way ride quality? Are we talking about Duster here?
Old 20th February 2017, 12:05   #387
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
TBHP official review also mentions that at low speed suspension is a bit stiff.
I dont think its uncomfortable. I was mereley responding to the comment that the ride is not plush.

Quote:
Which other vehicle today (< 14 lakh) has a better mix of both worlds in city and high way ride quality? Are we talking about Duster here?
Did not mean to compare any vehicle in question. Left to itself, I think its fairy good from a ride. But I will let the actual owners comment about it. I have only test driven for a short distance.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 12:28   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Question about maintaining Hyundai cars: how comparable is maintaining a small Hyundai these days to maintaining a Maruti, in terms of servicing costs and spare parts?

Looking to buy a new car soon. I'm pretty sold on the Maruti brand because the service experience has been really convenient and reasonable. I know the Hyundais have improved a lot, but is the service experience comparable?

I'm waiting for the 2017 Swift to be out, but was wondering if it was worth going for one of the Hyundai Grands or something like that.

The car will be single-person driven for 90% of the time. 99% of the time the car will never be used to carry more than 2 people. Must have ABS, air-bags. And since we usually hang on to our cars for over 5 years, and take a lot of out of town trips the long-term service thing is important, as is the service network.

A feature extra here and there won't really make a difference to us since we're upping from an Alto and so either the Swift or the Hyundai will be a better experience.

Appreciate the inputs. thanks.
Old 11th August 2017, 14:33   #389
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Question about maintaining Hyundai cars: how comparable is maintaining a small Hyundai these days to maintaining a Maruti, in terms of servicing costs and spare parts?
I had a Hyundai i10 until a couple of years ago and a Wagon R currently, so can compare from that point and these models. They were pretty comparable in terms of spare parts prices with a small edge to Maruti. Where prices of Hyundai goes up is cost of labour charges which is significantly higher for Hyundai. This is especially valid if anything needs to be done apart from standard service.

If this has changed in the recent times, I am not aware.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 01:01   #390
BHPian

Which Hatchback?

I was initially in the market for a SUV and was considering the HEXA and the COMPASS but dad has put our plans for a SUV on hold and as a second car was needed, started looking for a nice premium diesel hatchback that was powerful and had good fuel economy.
After reading all the reviews about the cars available have shortlisted three contenders which I will be listing as per preference.
1. Polo GT TDI
2. Ford Figo Titanium+
3. I-20 Asta (O) CRDI

I am 6'1 and a have a bulky build which translates into a problem with the Polo because rear headroom and legroom are a scarce luxury. There are no discounts being offered on the GT TDI and salesman said it isn't a high demand car and has to be specially ordered from the factory. He did hint at possibility of negotiation when i book the car.

The Figo while being fun to drive feels a segment lower compared to the Polo and the I-20. It is the dull boring Nokia inspired centre console and the plastic quality which puts me off. It is a steal at INR 8L OTR with possibility of further negotiations.

Lastly, checked out the I-20 which would be my last preference because there are just too many I-20's out there and it could never keep the enthusiast in me happy. Was being delivered readily and was offered an INR 20,000 cash discount.
loveforjeeps93 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed