Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2018, 09:31   #421
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Freestyle - Easy ingress for older people, better visibility due to raised seating and less worry of potholes/bad roads (190mm GC).
It is also a brand new launch, with a new petrol engine and gearbox (fun to drive factor) along with Ford reliability.
Has a very good safety package on offer. I think you should take a test drive of it.
Thanks Rohit. Reasons i avoided this after preliminary review:
1. Ford worldwide is going through portfolio consolidation. Even talks of pulling out from some markets. Not very reassuring for a new buyer.
2. 3-cylinder mill. Can never match the smooth Maruti 1.2L or TSI's mill for sure.
3. That god-awful coffee brown interior. What were they thinking?!

However for the reasons you mentioned (safety, fun gearbox and service), I might TD the car over the next few weekends. Will update if i do, thank you.
Old 4th June 2018, 10:53   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Thanks Rohit. Reasons i avoided this after preliminary review:
1. Ford worldwide is going through portfolio consolidation. Even talks of pulling out from some markets. Not very reassuring for a new buyer - I wouldn't worry much about that as it is related only to specific markets.

2. 3-cylinder mill. Can never match the smooth Maruti 1.2L or TSI's mill for sure - Trust me, i was with you on this. But if you remember, the 3Cl 1.0 Ecoboost won the international engine of the year 6 years in a row !!! That must show Ford knows a thing or two about making engines, specifically 3 Cl's - https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...e-year-fo.html

3. That god-awful coffee brown interior. What were they thinking?! - No comments
Do let us know, at least briefly, a camparo between the Suzuki's age old 4Cl and Ford's new Dragon 3Cl - at Idle, time to redline, pickup + sound in mid range, downshifting, etc. I just feel it is very VFM package and I would definitely put my money on it if i was looking for a hatch. Period.

Last edited by Rohit_Quad : 4th June 2018 at 10:56.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 16:55   #423
BHPian

Ford figo Sports Edition 1.2L Ti-VCT or Maruti Suzuki Ignis Zeta petrol?

Greetings BHPians,

I finally became a member of the Team-BHP community last week but I am an avid reader of the forum since last 2-3 years. This is my first post on Team-BHP so please excuse any mistakes!

We are considering to sell off our 12 year old Maruti Suzuki Esteem and replace it with Maruti Suzuki Ignis Zeta petrol. Everything had been planned and we where getting an on road price of around 5.2 lakhs including all discounts and selling the Esteem to Nexa only.

I saw an article yesterday that said ford figo is being offered with a discount of over a lakh. I went to the showroom today and got a quote for the Ford Figo Sports edition petrol for 6 lakhs on road including the discounts and cost of esteem estimated by them. The salesman seemed to offer more discount if further negotiated.

The car wil be primarily driven by my father and the car will be with us for 8-10 years. The main problem is my father is paranoid about the after sales and services of ford (in all his life he bought 4 cars of which 3 were Marutis and 1 hyundai).

What should I do? Go with the peace of mind and get Ignis or convince him for Figo as much as I can?

Cheers!
Ankit.
Old 19th July 2018, 17:11   #424
BHPian

Re: Ford figo Sports Edition 1.2L Ti-VCT or Maruti Suzuki Ignis Zeta petrol?

Ford has gone miles in terms of ownership from an after-sales service standpoint. I'm sure you can find several articles online that would explain Ford being on par (and even undercuts in some cases) with Maruti Suzuki on cost of preventive maintenance service parts. So to answer your question on Figo vs Ignis on service standpoint, I'd say both fare equally well. Having said that, the only fly in the ointment of the 1.2 Figo is that its strictly a city-rider and I guess that's not going to be a dealbreaker for your father. So, if you'd want you and your father to take a break from the monotonous MS acquisitions, give Figo a shot. Its worth it for what Ford India has evolved out to be.

PS: Plus, the car has got a soul & character we petrolheads also fall in love with.

Cheers,
Vijay
vvijay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 17:53   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post

What should I do? Go with the peace of mind and get Ignis or convince him for Figo as much as I can?

Cheers!
Ankit.
Compared to the Ignis, the Figo is much bigger and much more comfortable. The Ignis's cabin felt dark and cramped for space. Ignis is better equipped compared to the current Figo.

Ford's 4 cyl 1.2 Ti-VCT engine is no where as responsive as the K12 in the Ignis. Ford is on the verge of phasing that engine out in favour of its new, more powerful and responsive 3 cylinder Ti-VCT engine that is being offered in the Freestyle. The engine will eventually makes its way into the facelifted Figo & Aspire that are expected soon.

You should probably consider the Petrol Freestyle instead of the petrol Figo S, or if you really want the Figo S, consider its diesel variant.

Being a Figo 1.2 Ti-VCT owner, I can vouch for Ford's relatively cheaper maintenance costs and service support. Ford Customer Support comes down hard on erring workshops and there are tales of Ford's delightful support. But they may be never as good as Maruti.
skanchan95 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 17:58   #426
BHPian

Go for Figo. In my opinion Figo is better option than Ignis. For maintenance you won't be spending anything more than what you would be spending on an Ignis. The car has got better handling and ride too.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 18:44   #427
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Ford has gone miles in terms of ownership from an after-sales service standpoint.
===========
PS: Plus, the car has got a soul & character we petrolheads also fall in love with.

Cheers,
Vijay
@vvijay Agreed with you that ford has come miles ahead in terms of ASS but consulting my mechanic and a friend, both said that initially you will be quite happy with the ASS but in the long run one might not feel the same.
The car will be strictly city driven and my father is not much of a petrolhead, so the 1.2 Figo won't be an issue for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Compared to the Ignis, the Figo is much bigger and much more comfortable.
===
But they may be never as good as Maruti.
@skanchan95 The freestyle was phased out by him long back, so it cannot come into the picture. The only reason I checked out Figo S is because of the tremendous discounts being offered and the petrol engine will be better tuned than the regular petrol Figo.
A lot of people are giving me positive reviews for the ASS of Ford so I ll try my best to convince him to go with it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Ford has gone miles in terms of ownership from an after-sales service standpoint. I'm sure you can find several articles online that would explain Ford being on par (and even undercuts in some cases) with Maruti Suzuki on cost of preventive maintenance service parts. So to answer your question on Figo vs Ignis on service standpoint, I'd say both fare equally well. Having said that, the only fly in the ointment of the 1.2 Figo is that its strictly a city-rider and I guess that's not going to be a dealbreaker for your father. So, if you'd want you and your father to take a break from the monotonous MS acquisitions, give Figo a shot. Its worth it for what Ford India has evolved out to be.

Cheers,
Vijay

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Compared to the Ignis, the Figo is much bigger and much more comfortable. The Ignis's cabin felt dark and cramped for space. Ignis is better equipped compared to the current Figo.

Ford's 4 cyl 1.2 Ti-VCT engine is no where as responsive as the K12 in the Ignis. Ford is on the verge of phasing that engine out in favour of its new, more powerful and responsive 3 cylinder Ti-VCT engine that is being offered in the Freestyle. The engine will eventually makes its way into the facelifted Figo & Aspire that are expected soon.

You should probably consider the Petrol Freestyle instead of the petrol Figo S, or if you really want the Figo S, consider its diesel variant.

Being a Figo 1.2 Ti-VCT owner, I can vouch for Ford's relatively cheaper maintenance costs and service support. Ford Customer Support comes down hard on erring workshops and there are tales of Ford's delightful support. But they may be never as good as Maruti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Go for Figo. In my opinion Figo is better option than Ignis. For maintenance you won't be spending anything more than what you would be spending on an Ignis. The car has got better handling and ride too.

There have been a lot of positive reviews about the Ford ASS so I am thinking of convincing my father to go for the Figo S as hard as I can

@vvijay since the car will be strictly driven in city and rarely on the highways and considering the fact that my father is not much of a petrolhead, I guess the 1.2L petrol wil be adequate for the requirements.The "S" can satisfy my adrenaline when I will drive it.

@skanchan95 Ford Freestyle was vetoed initially so it can not come into picture and the reason I m considering Figo S is because of the huge discounts available on it and a better tuned petrol motor than the regular Figo. The usage won't be much, so getting a diesel is out of picture too.

@Flyer Exactly! Plus the discounts make their final price dangerously similar for a larger, safer and more premium Figo

Last edited by SDP : 20th July 2018 at 16:11. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 20th July 2018, 11:04   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

My parents own the Ignis automatic and the Figo 1.2 and Ive driven both cars a fair bit. The steering is light in both cars which is something that 'non enthusiasts' would prefer but that said the Figo's steering is far far better than that of the Ignis which has little to no feel. I havent driven the manual Ignis but the automatic on the Maruti makes me feel like Im in a boat. The tires (Ecopia?) on the Ignis squeal like a small child in a horror movie. No real issues with the Figo though, I only took some time to get used to the steering feel since I drove a Punto at that time. Overall, I fell the Figo is a better platform than the Ignis. Also no issues with the Ford service so far but with Nexa, they have
- returned the car dirty after a service
- claimed they didnt have the facility to fix punctures! After an angry email to Maruti and a few desperate phone calls from the Nexa dealership, they confirmed that they arranged for the infrastructure to fix punctures going forward.
- taken almost 12 hours to do a simple service with pick up and drop.
So overall the Nexa experience has been at par or worse than any other dealership, YMMV in your city.
Old 18th August 2018, 11:33   #429
BHPian

10L worthy replacement for the Diesel Etios

Posting on behalf of a relative.

Introduction :

My relative had been using the Gen 1 Diesel Etios since 2010. The car's been pretty battered up, after surviving 1.5L Kms of horrendously patch-worked Kolkata roads, and some rare highway drives to the neighbor state border regions.

The car suspension has now developed faults, and the lack of present day comforts is irking him and his family now.

Requirements :

1. The car diet should be diesel.
2. Adequate interior space. They find the Uber/Ola dZire hilariously puny compared to their own car. Finding an Etios Uber is rare in Kolkata.
3. Car should have a good build. There are various occasions where they appoint drivers from the driver centre, who get involved in more mishaps than one wants.
4. Luggage space is not a big criteria. Therefore, any body-type is welcome. Smaller the overall footprint, the better.

Present Shortlist :

The 10L budget area is the hot space right now, with many manufacturers having multiple product options.

He's only having the S-Cross Facelift in mind presently.

a) Is Jazz a worthy competition to the S-Cross? Also, is the diesel engine frugal yet driveable like it's petrol counterpart?

b) Is Amaze also worth considering?

Any other suggestion, with regards to anything is surely welcome.

EDIT : I would really appreciate if your opinions are substantiated with a reason. Otherwise, it'll become cumbersome asking for the logic behind the opinion.

Cheers!

Last edited by sharktale : 18th August 2018 at 11:53. Reason: EDIT
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 11:38   #430
Senior - BHPian

Re: 10L worthy replacement for the Diesel Etios

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post

Amaze diesel CVT my friend is the way to go.

Last edited by theMAG : 18th August 2018 at 17:11. Reason: Trimming quoted content for readability.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 11:52   #431
BANNED

I will suggest Ford Freestyle and EcoSport, Hyundai i20, Tata Nexon, Honda Amaze or the Renault Duster (if he can stretch the budget). I think these cars will satisfy almost all the requirements.
Old 18th August 2018, 12:40   #432
Senior - BHPian

You may have a look at Mahindra TUV300. I have been using a TUV300 T8 since December 2015 and happy with overall performance.

Last edited by airbus : 18th August 2018 at 12:41. Reason: Minor correction.
Old 18th August 2018, 12:56   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 for the TUV 300. Makes short work of bad roads, has acres of space within and it fits within 10L. After two frontal collisions, there's still no dent in my T8 (and I didn't fit a bullbar); can't say the same about the other vehicles that took the brunt of the collisions.
Old 18th August 2018, 12:57   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
He's only having the S-Cross Facelift in mind presently.
a) Is Jazz a worthy competition to the S-Cross? Also, is the diesel engine frugal yet driveable like it's petrol counterpart?
b) Is Amaze also worth considering?
S-cross will be an upgrade from the Etios owing to the better build and premium feel of the S-cross. The real VFM in the S-cross is the Zeta version and its ex-showroom price is a shade below 10 L INR. So the actual on-road price will exceed 10L. The 90bhp engine will be more powerful than the Etios

Rather than consider Jazz, he could consider Amaze CVT. The Honda diesel is noisy but very frugal and driveable.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 13:12   #435
Senior - BHPian

If your relative is not looking for an upgrade and wants to remain under the 10L cap, Amaze(i-DTEC) CVT is the best option for him/her.

Have a look at "what you"ll like" points from our official review.

• An all-rounded compact sedan & one that's well-priced too
• Spacious, practical interiors. Ambience is far better than the outgoing car's cheap cabin
• Diesel + CVT combination is unbeatable! Indisputably the segment best
• Suspension offers comfortable ride quality with neutral on-road behaviour
• Features such as cruise control, paddle shifts (petrol AT), touchscreen ICE with Android & iOS, reversing camera…
• Dual airbags, ABS, rear parking sensors & ISOFIX are standard across the range
• 3-year unlimited km warranty, extendable to 5-years & unlimited km

Last edited by SJM1214 : 18th August 2018 at 13:36. Reason: minor change.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks