Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2019, 15:23   #511
BHPian

Re: Jazz VX MT or Elite Asta Petrol MT or Baleno/Glanza Alpha/V MT or Swift ZXI+ MT - 10 years owner

Since its 10 years of ownership you desire, its better to get the Honda Jazz among the options.

The Baleno has poor NVH and the parts used are of inferior quality, they may be cheap to replace but then durability is poor. The same goes with the Glanza as well.

The i20, I doubt the complex electronics will last 10 years and the petrol i20 is not so good too.

The Jazz is an ideal car if you wish to keep long. Honda's reliability and decent after sales support will also help you keep the car in a good condition for 10 years. Its more spacious than cars a segment above and easy to drive too.

I suggest you to wait till say December for the stock clearance sales before April 2020, that way you may even get a WR-V at the same price of the Jazz.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 15:31   #512
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jazz VX MT or Elite Asta Petrol MT or Baleno/Glanza Alpha/V MT or Swift ZXI+ MT - 10 years owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
1. Jazz VX MT
2. Elite Asta MT
3. Baleno Alpha
4. Glanza V MT
5. Swift ZXI+
Its almost to its end of generation but the Jazz probably is the best option from the list. Its spacious, reliable, and should easily go on without a fuzz.

Alternate option – A used Ecosport petrol?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 17:54   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Its almost to its end of generation but the Jazz probably is the best option from the list. Its spacious, reliable, and should easily go on without a fuzz.

Alternate option – A used Ecosport petrol?
Pre-owned is not an option for them. And one car for a decade, I feel new car experience should be memorable as well.

Ecosport 2018 has good discounts but not so much to get it to 9-9.5 Lakhs.
Old 20th September 2019, 20:15   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Dilemma:

1. Wait for BS6 as the ownership will be of a decade from now
2. Should buy now with additional benefits or wait till December or at least till the GST decision is out
I suggest you wait for the BS6 engines to start coming in.

Quote:
Cars they have considered on preliminary test drives and reading (with my inputs post going through most threads on Team BHP)

1. Jazz VX MT
2. Elite Asta MT
3. Baleno Alpha
4. Glanza V MT
5. Swift ZXI+

We are open for any other option if it fits our requirements felicitously.
From this list, Jazz is the best (if I were in your position with these shortlisted ones, Jazz would be my choice) and carefully consider the shortlisted Baleno. I am not a fan of it's build quality. I have a very close friend, a hardcore Tata basher and an equal Maruti fanboy. I bought Nexon and he went for Baleno and riduculed me at every get-together we had in our friend's group. However, after he travelling with me to Kerala, he always borrows my Nexon for his Kerala trip!!! (comes back and continue ridiculing me).

Are you averse to Tata brand? If not, consider waiting for Altroz (by that time BS6 would have kicked in). Once you see and feel that with a couple of test drives then decide which one suits you better. Having owned a Nexon for the past 15 months, I can say that their service has improved (cars were already better, it was service that had screwed up their prospects).

Elite i20 is a great car, but a bit costly even in the service dept. It is super smooth and I love it despite the fact that you feel the speed inside the car.

Glanza - no idea. But since it is a "rebadged Baleno", I don't think it to be as good as a Toyota.

Swift - great car. Owned one for 3 years before losing it to Chennai floods of 2015. The only issue I have felt with that car is interior space. I am not sure about the build of the new ones, but mine was bought in 2012 and was fine (even if it cannot be compared with a Fiat or so).

Last edited by Jakku : 20th September 2019 at 20:25. Reason: Grammar and spelling.
Jakku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 16:34   #515
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

I have an update on my car purchase dilemma.

We finally made a choice of Jazz VX MT and Honda WRV S model MT (Base model)

WRV has most usable features except the sunroof and skid plates (cosmetics) whereas Jazz with the same engine is fully loaded.

WRV has a lot better space and GC as compared to Jazz. It also looks better than Jazz (Subjective)

Now comes a new entry: Toyota Etios Platinum 1.5 Ltr Petrol Manual. (Not the correct car as per the thread, but at the same price of a premium hatchback)

At the same price point we are getting a new Etios Petrol. It has a carnivorous boot, best interior space and arguable best after sales service. Because we are very sure to own the car for a decade we looked at Toyota Etios. It has good city driving but with not so fun to drive suspensions and steering feedback.
The AC controls are already archaic and post 10 years, I wonder it would be even worth looking at it

Last edited by VWAllstar : 24th September 2019 at 16:51.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:20   #516
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have an update on my car purchase dilemma.

We finally made a choice of Jazz VX MT and Honda WRV S model MT (Base model)

WRV has most usable features except the sunroof and skid plates (cosmetics) whereas Jazz with the same engine is fully loaded.

WRV has a lot better space and GC as compared to Jazz. It also looks better than Jazz (Subjective)

Now comes a new entry: Toyota Etios Platinum 1.5 Ltr Petrol Manual. (Not the correct car as per the thread, but at the same price of a premium hatchback)
Unless the pull of the 'Mini-SUV' is too hard to ignore, I'd suggest the Jazz VX. It offers a lot more than the WRV S, though the WRV S as a variant in itself isn't too bad either. I guess your heart is set on the WRV while the Etios is something your mind is more inclined towards.

The Jazz VX should offer the perfect balance between the mind and the heart. And yes, you seriously don't want to be looking at that dash of the Etios after 10 years.

P.S. Are you sure about the extra space in the WRV with respect to the Jazz? From what I know, the difference in wheelbase is only 25mm.

Last edited by AYP : 24th September 2019 at 17:22.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:26   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Unless the pull of the 'Mini-SUV' is too hard to ignore, I'd suggest the Jazz VX. It offers a lot more than the WRV S, though the WRV S as a variant in itself isn't too bad either. I guess your heart is set on the WRV while the Etios is something your mind is more inclined towards.

The Jazz VX should offer the perfect balance between the mind and the heart. And yes, you seriously don't want to be looking at that dash of the Etios after 10 years.
Below are the major misses in WRV S MT with regards to WRV VX MT.

Major difference between the two are :-

*Sunroof
*retractable Side mirror
*Front Center Panel Piano finish
*Silver Dashboard
*Door Ornament
*Leather Wrapped Steering
*Seat Back Pocket
*Touch Screen
*1 USB Port
*HDMI INPUT
*Micro SD Card Slots
*Steering Mounted Voice Control
*Front 2 Tweeters
* Push Start Stop Button
*Front Arm Rest
*Accessory Charging Port
*Front Map Lamp
* Multi View Cam
*Single Horn

And the Price difference is of 1.2 lakhs approximately.

Wrv(p)s-mt base colour
Onroad-9,65,826
Nildept-6063
Extended warranty-11052
On road-9,82,941
Less cash discount+exchange bonus+additional discount-25,000+20,000+10000
On road-9,27,941

Whereas WRV VX MT is Rs. 1053575 on road post all discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
P.S. Are you sure about the extra space in the WRV with respect to the Jazz? From what I know, the difference in wheelbase is only 25mm.
Perceived and not technically. The head room makes it feel and look more spacious than the Jazz.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 02:44   #518

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Hello everyone, I am planning to buy my first car, although I have been driving cars since many years (mostly owned by family or friends), this time I am going to buy with my own hard-earned money.
I have a relatively new and small family (my wife and a 2 yr. old kid), so was looking for a smallish car.
Now I drive mostly in the City (Hence AT) ... and extremely rarely on the highway (read once or twice a year). And my run is also not long it will not be more than 25km / day (MAXIMUM)
As I have learnt so much from reading through these forums I have realised PETROL is what I should get
Now my wife is going to learn how to drive early next year and she would need a hand me down car later in a year or so (not immediately)
So I was looking for a hatchback or a compact sedan

Now coming to the most important point

I have always loved how POLO Looks and the prestige of owning a VW Car (correct me if I am wrong), and I always imagined myself buying that car someday. I had no idea what a GT or TSI was till not. I only found out about it because it was the only petrol automatic available and that’s why I was shocked to see the price tag. Anyways..
Now by the grace of God I can afford it, but with maturity comes the ability to think rationally and be a rather hard critic of your choices

So I have set aside a few choices for myself to TD and take a decision.
1. POLO 1.2L GT TSI
2. Ford Aspire / Figo 1.5L TC
3. Honda Amaze CVT
4. Baleno / Glanza - CVT
5. MS Swift ZXI AMT
6. Nios Sportz AMT
7. Tata Tiago AMT

So I set aside a day from my work and went for TD
The biggest mistake I made is that I Test Drove the GT TSI FIRST.
And honest to God, nothing feels adequate after that ... I have driven every car almost twice and some even thrice.

So I gave a break of 1 week and repeated the TD. I made a few observations. CVT is not a Fun gearbox to drive. it’s just gets the job done. NOW I am no car expert, in fact far from it. CVTs just felt lazy and I would only drive it if the other option is a manual car.

So I ruled out all CVT

What am I left with
1. POLO 1.2L GT TSI
3. MS Swift ZXI AMT
4. Grand I10 Nios Sportz AMT
5. Tata Tiago AMT

I can live with AMT, as it was a bit more responsive or at least I could shift to manual and change gears a little later, get the pull or pick up I needed and then shift back to AMT when the traffic slows down (I tried the CVT with paddle shifts – But it didn’t give the performance I enjoyed) … Now some AMTs were bad and some were good. TIAGO, and NIOS was not very responsive, and I removed them from the equation

Now, what am I left with?
1. POLO 1.2L GT TSI
3. MS Swift ZXI AMT

Surprisingly SWIFT AMT is no slouch, its peppy and fun, if you shift to manual and get the speed you need and can quickly shift back to automatic to crawl through the traffic …

And finally the ASPIRE 1.5L Torque Converter is also very good, the engine is responsive and is also fun to drive
In terms of driving experience I would rate them in this order
GT TSI > ASPIRE > SWIFT
Unfortunately I can’t TD a FIGO, because it’s not available in AT for TD, but they are saying since its exactly the same as ASPIRE, I shouldn’t worry too much (Correct me if I am wrong)

Now I got the final pricing of these cars
1. POLO 1.2L GT TSI – 11.3L OTR
2. Ford Aspire TC – 10.7L OTR
3. Figo 1.5L TC – 9L OTR
4. MS Swift ZXI AMT – 8.5L OTR

Now I want the able people of this group to help me answer a few questions?
  1. Is getting a POLO GT TSI worth the premium in 2019 at this time. Since it’s old tech and an old car with very less creature comforts, cramped back seat and an expensive price tag?
  2. IS VW POLO GT TSI an expensive car to maintain? I am scared it will bite me to maintain it later ?
  3. Are there AS problems with GT TSI and life will become hell if I get it? In terms of waiting for spares and expensive repairs and other problems or delays
  4. Is getting a FORD a better option because the performance is almost there but the AS is cheaper to maintain (FORD PROMISE)?
  5. Should I just ignore everything and just enjoy the reliable and hassle-free MS Swift experience, because of the convenience it offers, and sell it later and buy something better ( KIA / MG Hatchbacks) in a few years’ worthy of its asking price which are not only latest in TECH but better in performance?
  6. OR should I just give-in and buy a GT TSI, because I am not getting any younger and my family is not getting any smaller?

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like.... this.... Usage of "..." is meant for a scenario and not a punctuation mark. It also is an impediment to easy reading of a post

Last edited by ampere : 11th November 2019 at 06:40.
eatpepsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 09:14   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpepsi View Post
Hello everyone, I am planning to buy my first car, this time I am going to buy with my own hard-earned money.
Hey eatpepsi, first off, congrats on the decision of getting a car for yourself.

I have owned 2 GTs (albeit TDIs), and have had Swift and Figo in extended family. So, here is some info that may help you:

- I agree with your thought that your biggest mistake was to TD the VW GT first. Although this is essentially the oldest car amongst its immediate competition, it still offers that feel which none of the modern cars do.
- I have driven the Figo 1.5 DCT, and if not for its dated (comparatively) exteriors/interiors, it would have surely given the GT TSI a run for its money.
- I am not a big fan of Maruti cars, and although I have not really had a chance to drive an AMT Swift, I personally don't like the "Cheap" Indo-Japanese collaboration product.

Now coming to your choice:

- Although VW claim that they have resolved the DSG issue, IMHO it may be something to watch out for in your daily usage as you seem to pretty much restrict your drives to B2B (congested) runs. This seems to be effecting even Hyundai's DCT gearbox as reported by some Venue owners.
- Although VW are one of the global leaders and premium automotive giants, they are no way close to the Koreans or Japanese in terms of the sheer volumes or customer satisfaction, considering the fact that Polo is just a mass production car. Yes they claim the service is just 1year/15K kms, but if you are not careful about the additional charges, you may end up paying quite dearly for every periodic maintenance.
- GT TSI offers that un-parallel feel due to that 1.2 Turbo Petrol and DSG combo. But the Figo 1.5 DCT is equally good. And considering it is a bit smaller than the German, it may actually prove quite perfect for your wife to drive around as well.

All said and done, it is your hard earned money and your decision at the end of the day.

And as this wonderful belief on the forum goes:

If you do not look back at the car before leaving the parking, you have probably not bought the right machine!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 11th November 2019 at 09:18.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 09:35   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey eatpepsi, first off, congrats on the decision of getting a car for yourself.
Thank you for your response sir.
The Figo and Aspire in question are NOT DCT anymore.
They are Torque converters now.
Now, I am no enthusiast and I have no idea what it implies. I am just making sure that I validate your recommendation.
I would still like you to answer my questions.

Note from Support: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Also, please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2019 at 00:28. Reason: See note. Quote trimmed. Post fixed.
Old 11th November 2019, 11:02   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would still like you to answer my questions.
Sorry if my previous post could not answer your queries, so let me keep it simple:

- You go ahead and just pick GT TSI if you think no other car gives you the feel this German does.
Just read through this thread posted by GTO on a similar thought:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4687291

- If you really think that Swift AMT makes a better sense, just go with it.

- If you are really looking at Figo/Aspire, my pick would be the 1.5 Diesel engine. This has light clutch, much more frugal than the 1.5 and heck a lot more fun. The best part, it probably costs the same as or is cheaper than the 1.5.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 11th November 2019 at 11:05.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 11:35   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone, I am planning to buy my first car, although I have been driving cars since many years (mostly owned by family or friends), this time I am going to buy with my own hard-earned money.
Hello eatpepsi!. I was in the same boat a few months back. I was preferring a manual and ended up buying a Triber
From my experience in TD and talks with some of my friends who own them, I thought I can share my views here!

If I were in your position with a child, I will definitely go for the VW Polo as it is the safest of the lot and the rear space won't bother you as you can move with your kid in child seats(Isofix). Also, you and your wife won't complain about the space in the front.

I won't suggest the Swift as I feel it is very pricey for what it offers. Also, I heard that the discounts for the same are coming down as BS 6 swift's are in now! Not a safe car too!

Figo and Aspire are a good choice and I can say that the Figo is more VFM than the aspire here!

I have a suggestion for you. Take a look into the Ameo DSG as well(DSG has issues) and buy the extended warranty for sure if you are taking a VW. From the new car thread, I can see that there are huge discounts on the model(1L-2L)

Also, we were literally closing the deal on Tata Tigor before opting for Triber and suggest you to take a look at its AMT as well as it more VFM, safe, has a huge boot and gives very good mileage(Just my opinion as you already ruled out AMT).

Since I don't have a lot of experience with these cars and service, I couldn't help you in finding the answers. Experts will help!

Go ahead and buy the Polo with an extended warranty! Thrill Out!

Wish to see you soon in a new car! Thanks!

Last edited by Jagann13 : 11th November 2019 at 11:54. Reason: Missed a few points.
Old 11th November 2019, 12:08   #523
BHPian

Re: My New Car Advise ?

Quote:
Hello everyone, I am planning to buy my first car,
First up, congratulations on your decision to buy your first car.

Now coming to the choices, a friend of mine in Bangalore owns a GT and I had the opportunity to drive it for a week during my last visit. It sure is a fun to drive car and honestly, doesn't compare with anything else in this category.

So if you are looking for a car that gives you the adrenaline rush when you floor it, GT is as good as they come. It is a heart decision and the mind has no business thinking otherwise.

But if you were to look at the more sedate alternatives that you have shortlisted, Aspire/Figo is a great option though the AT is pricier than it should have been. But its a very reliable choice, and between the Aspire & Figo, I personally like the look of Aspire more as it doesn't appear to be a cramped up compact sedan. I didnot TD the Figo though, but assume it to have similar road manners.

Any reason why you didn't consider the Jazz. Its a lovely vehicle and Honda cars tend to have the best Petrol engines IMO. I know CVT may appear to be a deal breaker if you are looking for "fun" element, but I have found the Jazz to have a very linear power delivery, and way better than the Baleno's rubber-band effect.
Old 14th November 2019, 00:13   #524

Re: My New Car Advise ?

Note from Support: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Also, please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2019 at 00:25. Reason: See note.
eatpepsi is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th November 2019, 00:15   #525
BHPian

Hi All,
We are looking to buy a small automatic city car in a budget of 7 - 7.5 L for my sister for short distance commutes in Hyderabad, mostly for dropping kids to school and back and shopping trips etc. She took a driving course but you can consider that she is a beginner and most of her driving will be learnt on the new car. Our most important priority is easy drivability for my sister.
After driving the Celerio AMT for the last couple of years I am not very comfortable about getting her an AMT, as there are so many instances where inconsistent or slow throttle response put me in a dangerous situation when I had to take a right turn or a U turn in the rowdy Hyderabad traffic . But given the budget constraints my options are limited

The following are the cars I am considering

Nissan Micra CVT

-Really liked the car. Easy to drive and no lag in normal speeds. Interiors are nice. Got a quote for 7.5 L on road

-Looking at the slumping monthly sales, am afraid Nissan may shut shop which will cause an issue with servicing later on

Hyundai Santro AMT
- I can't recollect there being any lag , but that was before I drove the Micra CVT.

- Its well within budget. Dealer quoted 6.3 L
- Has Good Serviceability and Resale value
- But I felt it to be a bit cramped. My right elbow kept hitting the inner door handle. This may not be an issue for my sister though

I10 Nios AMT
- Definitely felt some lag. Even though the AMT is same as Santro's. Could it be due to the additional weight ?

I10 Grand AT
- I read that this is TC, and would have suited us perfectly expect that none of the dealers I spoke to had any inventory.

Ford Figo 1.5
- This should have been a great choice expect I think this will fall significantly above my budget. Spending 9 L for a hatchback seems a tad too high.

In principle I am ok to consider slightly run pre-owned cars (I10 grand AT or Honda Brio CVT) but am very scared of going to dealers. had a very bad experience before. And I cant see any individuals posting ads for the cars above.

I am planning to take another test drive of the Santro and I10 nios to check for the lag and also TD the ignis AMT.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Most Viewed