Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2021, 17:53   #631
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Which is better buy between i20 and Altroz?

Variant in question is i20 Sportz Diesel and Altroz XZ Diesel.

Engine wise I felt i20's diesel to be refined and had a more linear power delivery.
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:47   #632
BHPian

Mid size family car for city use

Hello Bhpians!

We as family are on the lookout for a new car.
The new car will be for my dad and will be mainly driven by him or by my elder sister (rarely by me)and mostly for in-city use. We already have an SUV for our Outstation and Airport Runs.

My Dad is a Tata loyalist, and swears by tata products, currently he owns two other Tata cars. This time however we are open for other options as well

Requirements-
  • For city-use
  • Should be Petrol
  • Good resale value
  • Service/Maintenance cost on the lower side
  • budget about 7-8 lakhs OTR(can be extended)

Also we're looking to make the purchase through CSD. Below are the options we've shortlisted-
  1. Maruti Swift LXi/VXi
  2. Maruti Suzuki Baleno Sigma/Delta

The above list has been drawn upon because of their good resale value and fairly low maintenance cost and is not complete.

I'm open to suggestions and awaiting responses from the esteemed members of the forum.
Thanks in advance
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:40   #633
BHPian

My cousin and his wife were looking to buy a new hatch to replace their almost two decade old wagonR. The budget was fixed at ₹8 lakhs OTR Bangalore (before trade in value of wagonR).

The priorities were:
1. Safety
2. Space
3. Easy to drive in traffic

After a lot of research and whittling down the choices, they have settled on an Altroz XM+ (8.3 lakhs OTR). However, we have not yet gone for test drives owing to the pandemic, and I have urged them to take a look at the Honda Jazz V as well (9.14 lakhs OTR after discounts). I personally went to the showrooms in February and found myself loving the Jazz for its spaciousness and ergonomics. Also, going by the reviews on team-bhp, the Jazz should be a relatively fuss-free ownership experience.

The Altroz, being a first gen Tata product, makes me apprehensive about its quality (though Tata has definitely improved over the years). Also, while the XM+ is within their budget, it lacks certain features like rear speakers, Day/Night IRVM, Rear Defogger/Wash Wipe, one touch auto down drivers window, automatic climate control etc. The Altroz XT has all those features, but is priced close to the Jazz V (8.92 lakhs OTR).

Also, the Altroz seems to have a waiting period of 8-12 weeks in Bangalore, while the Jazz has a 2-4 weeks waiting period.

So, should I just let my cousin go ahead with his decision to the Altroz, or push him to at least take a Test Drive of the Jazz? I know because when I bought my first car, the one I chose was initially not even under consideration. All it took was a test-drive for me to realize it was the perfect model for me.

Last edited by avi550m : 23rd June 2021 at 08:41.
Old 11th July 2021, 10:51   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

The story so far, Swift is the best selling hatchback in H1 '21 ( Jan- June'21) .

- The Top 10 selling Hatchbacks in had a total volume of about 5,85,763 units.

- Swift retained the rank1 spot and crossed the 1Lakh range. this is almost double of what swift sold during the last year same time. And at the same time, this is almost equal to the volume of 2019.

- The two hatchbacks from TATA, Altroz and Tiago have made it to the top 10 list for this year. Altroz got a market share of 6.43% in the top 10 hatchbacks and Tiago got a market share of 5.93% in the top 10.

The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!-1.jpg

Link
Old 15th July 2021, 11:31   #635
BHPian

Help with purchasing a new car please

Hi all,

With a budget of ₹8.5 lakhs on road, I am torn between Ford Freestyle Titanium +, Tata Altroz XT and VW Polo Comfortline. All petrol, manual. Deciding factors have been safety ratings, ground clearance, spacious cabin and a decent steering feedback.

Till now, in my research, mostly through Team-BHP, Freestyle is the top contender.

It would be nice if some suggestions could be offered about cars which I may have missed and should consider.

I intend to finalize and book the car on 31st of July, 2021.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2021 at 11:47. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 15th July 2021, 12:22   #636
BHPian

Re: Help with purchasing a new car please

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberKing_91 View Post
Hi all,

With a budget of ₹8.5 lakhs on road, I am torn between Ford Freestyle Titanium +, Tata Altroz XT and VW Polo Comfortline. All petrol, manual. Deciding factors have been safety ratings, ground clearance, spacious cabin and a decent steering feedback.

Till now, in my research, mostly through Team-BHP, Freestyle is the top contender.
Safety ratings of the rest two cars are assurance inspiring but are you sure about the crash test performance and safety ratings of the Ford Figo/Freestyle?

It's got 'unstable body shell' remark by GNCAP

If you care about safety then it would be better to check the GNCAP website and carefully study the test result documents of the shortlisted models before taking the final call.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 15th July 2021 at 12:25.
Old 15th July 2021, 13:09   #637
BHPian

Re: Help with purchasing a new car please

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Safety ratings of the rest two cars are assurance inspiring but are you sure about the crash test performance and safety ratings of the Ford Figo/Freestyle?

It's got 'unstable body shell' remark by GNCAP

If you care about safety then it would be better to check the GNCAP website and carefully study the test result documents of the shortlisted models before taking the final call.
Thanks for your comment

I agree completely and that is what is keeping me on the fence just a bit. On the other hand, the features of 6 airbags, Anti Rollover protection or ESP and Traction Control cannot be disregarded too.

Hence I am quite interested to know if there are more cars in the price range which offer these safety features.
Old 17th July 2021, 10:56   #638

Suggest a car to purchase a hatchback below 10 Lakhs

Hi All,

I want to sell my used 1.52 L Km FIAT Punto Emotion hatchback as a buy back and want to purchase a petrol hatchback below 10 Lakhs. Have the following requirements at hand:
  1. Only petrol Hatchback
  2. Only Manual transmission
  3. Front and back wipers, defogger, Reasonably good Audio package, Heater as well as AC inside, Adjustable height of the drivers seat, FOG Lamps, ABS, Airbags. No Internet connectivity ( a serious security risk)
  4. Good safety rating at least 4 and above
  5. Good ground clearance to avoid problems with Indian roads
  6. Will be able to put up with less service stations in Visakhapatnam where I currently stay as long as the service is good
  7. at least 4.5 seating capacity
  8. Maybe I can live without a spare tyre with my past experience with Punto. I maintain my tyres and replace them when required.I am a maintenance freak
  9. My Punto is now good . However is giving problems with various components, which worries me with its reliability for interstate travels. I want to be able to travel until Tirupathi from Vizag which is 800 Km and beyond. I also go hill stations in almost all winters.
  10. I want the Fuses to be inside the cabin and not in the bonnet (have found that it was a problem with Renault Kwid which were getting loose due to vibration or whatever and the heat that they are exposed to, due to which the new Kwid refuses to start). I also do not understand the design and placement of the ECM ( a computer) inside the bonnet. So probably no Renault.
  11. My Fiat Punto has given me the least surprises(very few niggles) for the first 5 years at least. I want that sort of reliability.
  12. Another issue is Engine power. My Punto is 1178 CC, 67 BHP whereas that of Nissan Magnite is 1000 CC, 78 CC for the turbo version. I did not understand how is Magnite better in terms of Engine power than the Punto. Can one of you clarify or point me to the right thread on this CC, BHP issue.
  13. I want to avoid Hyundai having read that software problem of Steering giving away in a few brands of theirs.
  14. I am not sure about Kia either.
  15. I think of Japanese brands as being the most reliable- so I want to choose between them if I have a choice.
  16. I have issues with money and hence the limit of max of 10 Lakhs.
  17. I was thinking of TATA brands earlier; have visited Nissan Magnite which was sort of ok for me on the pricing front although the interiors could have been better. I was hearing that Tata brands have problems with their dashboard (vibrations after one year) and so I am worried.
  18. Not interested in Maruthi but not sure.
By the way I am 49 years old if that is required and have a slight back ache problem which keeps coming up once in a while if I do not stretch and exercise (Yoga).
What do you suggest - which brands .
Please help or point me to the proper threads.

--
Regards,
Surya@Vizag
stadimet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 12:19   #639
BHPian

Re: Suggest a car to purchase a hatchback below 10 Lakhs

Unfortunately, there is not a single car available that fits to all your requirements.
However, if you're a bit flexible, then you may check the below:

1. Flexible on internal fuse box only: The Polo TSI Highline Plus, Tata Tiago (XZ and XZ+) and Altroz (XZ, XZ(O) and XZ+, even iTurbo ones) should fit your requirement as there are no other hatchbacks below 10 lacs with a 4+ star rating and the features you require (rear wiper, defogger, etc.).

2. Flexible on fuse location, slightly on budget (11 lacs approximately) as well as body style: If you can consider crossovers, you can check the Nexon XZ, Brezza ZXi and S-Cross Delta. These will take care of your ground clearance fears and in my opinion, these are the only two Marutis one should consider if safety is a big priority. Maruti will be my preference over Tata here, if looking to keep the vehicle long term.

Personally, I do not feel you should be flexible on anything else apart from the above. However, you probably will get rattles in almost all modern vehicles as they're built to a cost these days in this price range, unlike your Punto. Regarding your back, you may check the vehicles physically and take them out for a test-drive to get a better idea.

Last edited by Researcher : 17th July 2021 at 12:23.
Researcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 13:20   #640
Senior - BHPian

With car prices that have risen like rockets over the past few years, a few compromises will have to be made from the criteria's that you have mentioned. You have also ruled out some brands which makes things further difficult. Not sure about which ones have the fuse box inside the cabin, but do consider the Tata Nexon. With the exchange of your Punto you will be able to match the price and get a very good car. I have felt that the Nexon is one of the best built cars from the Tata family and can easily handle any rough roads that comes its way. If you want to go a segment down go for the swift (P). The reason I suggested the Nexon first was due to the back problem you mentioned.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 18:32   #641
BHPian

Honda Jazz could meet many of your criteria. It is spacious, has good engine, has most of the items in #3. Not sure about the service station situation in Vizag. Fuze box is inside the cabin I believe.
Old 17th July 2021, 18:44   #642
Senior - BHPian

You may consider the Altroz iTurbo.

It has excellent safety, strong build, sufficient space for 4.5 people, adequate clearance & a decent engine.

It will fit your budget as well of under 10lakh.
Old 20th July 2021, 13:00   #643
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Slightly long post:

Background:
I have a ~12 year old Hyundai i10 (Era) with the 1.1L engine. It is a October 2009 manufactured model and registered on 7th Jan 2010 & till now driven about 45K KM. Fortunately, barring a few repairs such as the clutch plate, exhaust and a few other minor things it has not asked for any major repairs till now. Its been driven low because I was mostly away from home (studying MBA, working in other cities), while the i10 stayed home with my parents/wifey who drove less or had other cars accessible.

I have been exploring the idea of upgrading to a new car since the 12 year old i10 now feels dated/slightly underpowered and less trustworthy if I drive outstation. Wifey has said new car purchase only if its an SUV and since Harrier is the only car she likes and being in Delhi, Petrol is the preferred choice. Harrier Petrol is still at least 1-1.5 years away (if at all). She and I have test driven the Harrier diesel manual and are loving it. however after reading about the Harrier niggles, I have a slight hesitation even for a Petrol if at all it ever gets launched.

Also, in the next 1 year, we are planning to invest in our first house (a big ticket purchase among the shortlisted options for which we want to save up as much as possible and try to minimize the loan). We both are working and are likely to need 2 cars once offices are back to full swing post the pandemic (I am guessing ~ mid 2022). We both are based in Gurgaon. While I am generally a sedate drive, my wife is more swift (pun intended). Once in a blue moon, I would also like to push the car a little bit but that would be rare. If we buy 2 cars, we both would probably use them equally.

Given the traffic & parking hassles, I would prefer a small car for the city driving and retain a Harrier (or a similar alternative) for the medium - longer distance drives.

Given the fact that the i10 is 12 years old and the big purchase (house) lined up in next 8-10 months, I am keen to at least buy 1 small car soon and probably purchase a bigger car in 2-3 years once I am more comfortable financially.

However, wifey is keen to only change the car if we are buying an SUV (preferably the Harrier). So, while I try to convince her to postpone the Harrier purchase and in the interim go for a smaller/medium sized car, I wanted to take your inputs on the below listed options that I have shortlisted.

Requirements in short:
1) Reliable Petrol Automatic (preference for TC, CVT)
2) Decent power on tap for City driving with AC
3) factory fit music systems (no plans to get any external fitments for anything except seat covers)
4) priced around the cost of Jazz V CVT or lower (lower the better)

Good to have but not necessary:
1) Reverse camera
2) Decent highway manners (though highway usage will be limited)

Dont need/want:
1) Large touch screens (happy with simple / small touch screens or even manual 2 DIN systems)
2) Sunroof, Full digital instrument cluster, other fancy features such as autofolding mirrors

Options shortlisted:

1) Honda Jazz V CVT;
Pros: Smooth & reliable engine, spacious inside & I like how it looks, V CVT (the base automatic) has all features I need including paddle shifters
Cons: underpowered engine, slightly on a pricier side among small cars
Disclaimers: I have not test driven it yet, but friends who have Jazz have discouraged this due to the underpowered engine. if the engine was more powerful, this would be a no brainer default purchase.

2) VW Polo Comfortline AT; (priced similar to Jazz V CVT)
Pros: powerful engine with relatively reliable TC (compared to DSG), VW build quality
Cons: higher maintenance cost than the Japanese options, slightly on a pricier side among small cars
Doesnt Matter: absence of paddle shifters, limited backseat space
Disclaimer: I have not test driven it yet, but have driven Vento manual TDI & find it a decent option. in-laws have not faced any major issues in the 9 years of ownership

3) Honda City 5th Gen V CVT; (wild card option)
Pros: 4 airbags & host of safety features, paddle shifters, powerful NA engine (I have a soft spot for NA over Turbo) and the 5th gen City is about heart over head.
Cons: not a small car - traffic/parking challenges within city; massively over budget set for a small car; wifey not keen to buy a sedan (she has driven sedans all her life)
Disclaimer: I have test driven the City 5th Gen for just 5 minutes but found it pretty great & sufficiently feature packed. I need to take longer test drives to see if there are any issues I missed out in the 5 minute test drive. Option to be considered only if I dont buy another car for a few more years.

I am not keen to explore Altroz/Freestyle (lack of Auto), Baleno (build quality), i20 (over priced and NCAP).

I am stuck between the following scenarios:
1) Buy a small car and an SUV 2-3 years down the line. If I go with this decision, the small car purchase will probably get done within 2 months after the 3rd COVID wave. If so, which car?
2) Postpone the buying decision for 1-2 years & buy a SUV only and retain the i10 as we still need a small for daily local errands (I am not getting any major value selling it anyways). Look for small car after the SUV purchase. In-laws and parents have offered their bigger cars (Creta/CRV/Vento) if ever we need to drive outstation occasionally
3) Another scenario suggestions from TeamBHP members?

Last edited by aayusht : 20th July 2021 at 13:10. Reason: Adding more points on requirements, grammatical corrections
Old 25th July 2021, 13:30   #644
BANNED

Why Ford Figo Automatic is More reliable than the Maruti Suzuki Swift and Hyundai Grand i10 Nios AMT

Greetings Team-bhpians !
Hope you are all doing good in these tough times. Just like there is uncertainty around the Covid-19 virus, there is some uncertainty around the future of Ford in India also. Although I strongly feel that their sales are far better than many other brands to put off the idea of quitting India, still the rumours do arise out of somewhere, my opinion.
Anyways, confirming their word of not leaving India, Ford has re-introduced the Figo Automatic hatchback. Here's a sneak peak at some stats:

1. Ford Figo Automatic comes with 96PS (71.2kW) power, 1.2l Ti-VCT engine
2. It gets a 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission
3. Claimed fuel economy is 16.0 km/l.

SO WHY is it more reliable than the Maruti Suzuki Swift and Hyundai Grand i10 Nios AMT?

1.The 1.2 Ti-vct engine is a gem. It's a solid, reliable engine that can last years with scheduled periodic maintenance. It's a derivative of the 1.5l petrol engine of the Ecosport where it has already proved its mettle. Elsewhere around the globe too, it has proven to be reliable and cheap to maintain. Although Maruti's k-Series petrol engine is also a proven and reliable engine, it's the Hyundai that is easily trumped by the Figo when it comes to Engine reliability.

2. The 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission trumps the competition completely when it comes to transmission reliability. AMT's are cheaply made transmissions and are built to a cost. Common issues amongst AMT's are juddering, premature clutch wear, and complete transmission failure, of course prematurely.
A torque converter is old tech but it's leaps ahead in terms of reliability over any other automatic. Moreover, Ford has used that transmission for quite a long and has perfected it. It's a very reliable and proven auto'box.

Although the Torque Converter does have 2 disadvantages:
1. Fuel efficiency: Expect it to be down by around 1-1.5 kmpl in cities when compared to the AMT equipped and not to forget, lighter weighing cars.

2. Replacement cost: Torque Converters are more complex and hence expensive to replace. But then you wouldn't need to do so due to its strong reliability, right?

Plus given the better build, ride comfort, handling, cheapest maintenance cost (yes) and the focus on life-saving features rather than cosmetic ones, Ford Figo gets the CarMaster's upvote over the competition.
CarMaster_059 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 21:56   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
My cousin and his wife were looking to buy a new hatch to replace their almost two decade old wagonR. The budget was fixed at ₹8 lakhs OTR Bangalore (before trade in value of wagonR).

The priorities were:
1. Safety
2. Space
3. Easy to drive in traffic

After a lot of research and whittling down the choices, they have settled on an Altroz XM+ (8.3 lakhs OTR). However, we have not yet gone for test drives owing to the pandemic, and I have urged them to take a look at the Honda Jazz V as well (9.14 lakhs OTR after discounts). I personally went to the showrooms in February and found myself loving the Jazz for its spaciousness and ergonomics. Also, going by the reviews on team-bhp, the Jazz should be a relatively fuss-free ownership experience.

The Altroz, being a first gen Tata product, makes me apprehensive about its quality (though Tata has definitely improved over the years). Also, while the XM+ is within their budget, it lacks certain features like rear speakers, Day/Night IRVM, Rear Defogger/Wash Wipe, one touch auto down drivers window, automatic climate control etc. The Altroz XT has all those features, but is priced close to the Jazz V (8.92 lakhs OTR).

Also, the Altroz seems to have a waiting period of 8-12 weeks in Bangalore, while the Jazz has a 2-4 weeks waiting period.

So, should I just let my cousin go ahead with his decision to the Altroz, or push him to at least take a Test Drive of the Jazz? I know because when I bought my first car, the one I chose was initially not even under consideration. All it took was a test-drive for me to realize it was the perfect model for me.
I am replying very late. Jazz is a good option, engine is smooth as butter. I have Jazz VX for last 5 years and other than normal service, haven't had any other issues. Have driven multiple times between Hyderabad and Bangalore and it easily can sustain 120kmph speeds. The only drawback is low grunt, you will need to downshift a bit more at lower speeds, but you quickly get adjusted to that. Overall, I feel its a great package, with lots of space & fuss-free ownership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks