Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 13:59   #31
Team-BHP Support

the engine number plate has something stamped. So if you car is May manufactured, or later, its okay.
Anyway, if its registered before june, it the old V2.
The round AC buttons are a giveaway.
Old 6th August 2009, 14:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Yahoo! Groups
here you go . you will be able to determine it from the numbers
Old 6th August 2009, 14:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Yahoo! Groups
here you go . you will be able to determine it from the numbers
Thanks a lot for the link. It makes life easier.

Ideally the chassis number and engine number should be in the registration certificate and RC book right?

@TSK, refer to this image and let me know which AC buttons you were talking about. This is a March 2002 Indica.

Should I buy a used Indica ?-98731.jpg

Last edited by Gandhi : 6th August 2009 at 14:23.
Old 6th August 2009, 17:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Gandhi, 2002 was the year when Tata introduced the New improved V2 with better air con and some minor changes here and there, mostly qualtiy tweaks,
It was launched in June 2002.
So if its the V2 before the June edition stay away. How to make it out? Well just look at the AC buttons. If they are round, no go, if they are square, its the new one.
Other changes include a small plastic cladding like thing near the accelerator pedal, so that your foot does not touch the body but hits this plastic thing when you move it.
But ,What I heard from other sources is,after 2002 march ,the models are better?
@Gandhi: My 2002 march Indica got exactly the same interior ,except for steering design.and look at the A/C Button which is "round" just in middle of other knobs ,just under Fan Control.

Last edited by deepclutch : 6th August 2009 at 17:14.
Old 6th August 2009, 17:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

the AC controls alone are not a reliable indicator. in between the V1->V2 transition period, there was some mix and match involved, to the extent that some V2 owners are still not sure if theirs are really V2's or older cars.

And then there is the AC fascia - this depends on the AC compressor. they are either behr or subros, and voltas in some early indicas (think they were still used in 2002)

@ Gandhi. the chasis number should be all over the body. Just look in every nook and cranny of the car.

not sure if those stickers would have survived the test of 7 years

Last edited by greenhorn : 6th August 2009 at 17:20.
Old 6th August 2009, 17:26   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
But ,What I heard from other sources is,after 2002 march ,the models are better?
@Gandhi: My 2002 march Indica got exactly the same interior ,except for steering design.and look at the A/C Button which is "round" just in middle of other knobs ,just under Fan Control.
Its actually 2002 June onwards. The car also had a small sticker on the outside saying "supercool AC" "quiet cabin" etc.,
What you got is also V2, but first V2 had an incrimental upgrade in June 2002. I specificly asked Concorde motors to get this one for me, and due to that my cars delivery date was also delayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Thanks a lot for the link. It makes life easier.

Ideally the chassis number and engine number should be in the registration certificate and RC book right?

@TSK, refer to this image and let me know which AC buttons you were talking about. This is a March 2002 Indica.

Attachment 170520
This is the old one, it has round AC button(the switch which clicks the AC on)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the AC controls alone are not a reliable indicator. in between the V1->V2 transition period, there was some mix and match involved, to the extent that some V2 owners are still not sure if theirs are really V2's or older cars.

And then there is the AC fascia - this depends on the AC compressor. they are either behr or subros, and voltas in some early indicas (think they were still used in 2002)

@ Gandhi. the chasis number should be all over the body. Just look in every nook and cranny of the car.

not sure if those stickers would have survived the test of 7 years
With the June 2002 upgrade, AC buttons were changed to square, and a small plastic thingy was added near acc pedal.
Infact Autocar edition May 2002 also carried an article that how the new V2 was so much better.
Other changes were in the handling, and they said that its curve handling ability really improved in this upgrade.
With 110,000kms on the odo, and gross misuse, I do not have that funny camber seen on so many indicas, because this particular version had a beefier suspension.
Sadly the funny upgrades which came in 2003 have again the softly sprung anti handling suspension, which tends to bottom out when there are 4 sitting in the back.
Old 6th August 2009, 17:58   #37
BHPian

Hi Mithun
My 2 bits. There are not too many of them around, but if you are lucky, you can pick up a Fiat Siena 2002 1.6 for about 2 lakhs. Same Palio engine in a sedan. Used one for 3 years and you just can't beat it. Next best would be a Palio!
Old 6th August 2009, 18:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

@tsk1979:Was there any drastic change in upgrades to Indica models after the two below:
1)V1(till 2000) to V2
2)from June 2002 ,V2 are better overall.
Then ,I heard about Electronic Fuel Pump /ECU fitted from 2005 models?
Old 6th August 2009, 23:47   #39
Team-BHP Support

V1 to V2 was a drastic change
June 2002 V2 was an incremental upgrade, primarily the AC, and some handling tuning
Then came the Electronic fuel pump, it was when EU-III was made compulsary

But after that I am not very aware of the versions and changes, but they put in those silly claddings etc., along with Euro III pump I think
Old 7th August 2009, 10:19   #40
BHPian

Hi Gandhi, If i'm not mistaken, the badge on the cross member arm reads "Telco", and not "Tata Motors", hehe. The centre console on the indica you have shown, is the oldest of the lot. [off-topic: We had it on our Jan'01 manufactured indicaV2 until last month, where it underwent an AC->HVAC upgrade (R134a AC installed due to reasons of no service availability), and the console has now been replaced with the one that you would see either on a Turbo DLX, or Indigo CS. What i'm trying to convey is, cosmetic upgrade is very much doable, provided you have patience, and most importantly, money, hehe].

The most apparent change i appreciate on the indica is moving the front seat inner foundation clamps from the floor, onto that lump passing along the centre of the car. This has created additional foot space for the rear passengers. This change, i guess, came sometime in 2003. Not very sure, though.

Last edited by dkamath : 7th August 2009 at 10:20.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:57   #41
BHPian

Thanks a lot

Thanks everybody for very useful information. My dad also checked the car yesterday and he liked it (was comfortable sitting at the rear).

My brother (along with his friend) has gone to RTO to verify all the documents and to check if there are any pending dues/claims for the car.

If all goes right, he will make the payment and get the car home today itself .
Old 7th August 2009, 21:40   #42
BHPian

Update - the deal didn't go through because of malpractices of the agent. He was asking for full payment even before giving the original document and writing the delivery note.

Brother has seen one more 2005 Indica DLS for Rs 1L 30K. It has already run 1L kms. He will get the car checked by a mechanic tomorrow and the documents verified.

I will keep the thread updated with the progress made.
Old 7th August 2009, 22:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

Diesel cars are simply hard to judge;Especially the Engine Condition.
Old 12th August 2009, 08:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Gandhi, any updates on this ?
Old 12th August 2009, 09:23   #45
BHPian

I was waiting for the deal to get finalized.

My brother and dad saw a lot of Indicas and have finally decided on a 2004 Indica DLS for 1.5L. It is driven for 40K kms till now by an uncle (of age 55+). All the service records are available , car has been serviced just 20 days back. All the documents are clear, comprehensive insurance is valid till March 2010. The other party is very genuine, he has asked for the full payment to be done by cheque only and no cash.

We will be making payment on Janmastami (Gokul Astami - Friday the 14th) and get the car home.

Last edited by Gandhi : 12th August 2009 at 09:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks