Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 09:59   #46
BANNED

Quote:
finally decided on a 2004 Indica DLS for 1.5L. It is driven for 40K kms
Sad to hear that Indicas are having poor resale values !
Old 14th August 2009, 19:14   #47
BHPian

Here is the final update guys. All the paperwork is done and the first car of our family is finally home. Eventhough it is a second hand car, everybody is so much excited for our first car. I am too excited sitting here in Bangalore .

Thanks everybody for all the help and guidance.
Old 14th August 2009, 19:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

and do remember to post pics and an initial report when you get it
Old 14th August 2009, 21:05   #49
BHPian

I won't be able to get my hands on the car till late October :(. I myself is planning for a new car by year end. Waiting for some good news from my employer .

Brother will get the car on his name next week and the insurance too.
Old 15th August 2009, 20:38   #50
BHPian

Here are few pics of the car .

Should I buy a used Indica ?-100_0151.jpg

Should I buy a used Indica ?-100_0159.jpg

Should I buy a used Indica ?-100_0160.jpg
Old 15th August 2009, 20:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

externally, the car appears to be in good shape. just give it a wash

i think the scratches in the front bumper can be taken care of with some black shoe polish

and if your brother is a beginner(or even otherwise), get a rear view mirror for the left side. should cost ~1k
Old 15th August 2009, 20:51   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
externally, the car appears to be in good shape. just give it a wash

i think the scratches in the front bumper can be taken care of with some black shoe polish

and if your brother is a beginner(or even otherwise), get a rear view mirror for the left side. should cost ~1k
Thanks greenhorn for the advice. I will pass on this to my brother.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:17   #53
Team-BHP Support

@Gandhi, check one thing. Make 3 people sit in the back and observe the rear tires.
If they go like this / \ then the car may need a minor suspension job.
On this 2004 indica, the suspension was softer, and soft independent suspension + bad roads = some camber issues.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:16   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@Gandhi, check one thing. Make 3 people sit in the back and observe the rear tires.
If they go like this / \ then the car may need a minor suspension job.
On this 2004 indica, the suspension was softer, and soft independent suspension + bad roads = some camber issues.
Thanks TSK for the tip. My brother will be taking the car to the mechanic for a regular checkup. I will let him know about this and ask him to get it rectified if that indeed is a case.

I don't know how we would have managed all these if there was no Team-BHP.

You guys just rock .
Old 1st September 2009, 16:58   #55
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Good looking car in good exterior condition, congrats.

Would normally recommend a petrol indica anyday. Diesels need to be checked out.
Old 21st October 2009, 01:36   #56
BHPian

Update on the car.

After lot of convincing, got leaves approved to go home for diwali. This was the first time I was going to drive the car myself.

Externally the car looked very good, interiors were also in good shape except few minor things.

I start the car and engine sound is satisfactory (P.S. I have very little experience in driving cars in India, this was the first diesel car I was driving). The drive is much better than I expected. It drives well in lower gears too than I thought. Drives like a knife in butter on highways. Though I felt tiring after driving it in city traffic. My left leg and left hand were aching after a longish drive (may be the driving position is not right). The car feels heavy to drive than smaller petrols I have driven (Santro, WagonR etc).

Now some problems -
  1. We were to go on a long trip on diwali (around 200+ kms), so I went to a local mechanic to check coolant, oil level etc (first time I was taking a car to a mechanic). He showed me that the coolant container (don't know the exact word) was real dirty and needed to be cleaned and new coolant was also needed. I agreed and he cleaned that container and all the pipes, pour 2 ltrs of new coolant and some water. Next day, after we crossed some 90 kms (not continuous) the temperature gauge suddenly started raising. We stopped the car once it crossed 70% mark and opened the bonnet. To our surprise, the coolant had leaked all over in the surrounding areas (looked like it overflowed). We waited for around 20 minutes for the engine to cool down, pour some water (it gulped 2 ltrs) in the container and started our journey. Engine overheating problem hasn't appeared since then, but a new problem has surfaced.
  2. This new problem is, that the car doesn't start in the morning at all. Weather is real hot this time in Ahmedabad. We have to push the car and start it every morning. Bro went to the same mechanic and he told that gasket (that's what he told, I don't know the exact part name) needs to be checked.
Seems this gasket is inside the engine, and the engine needs to be opened for the first time. Let me know if anybody has faced similar issue and can give me some hints on the probable cause (and a solution) for this problem.
Old 21st October 2009, 04:49   #57
BHPian

He was probably talking about the head gasket. I would suggest take it to an authorised Tata service center get a second opinion.
Old 21st October 2009, 06:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

If he's talking about the head gasket, something is very funny here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ad-gasket.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-interval.html
Old 21st October 2009, 10:04   #59
BHPian

just run your car for about half hour with the ac running then open the bonnet check if the radiator fan is working ditto the ac condenser fan visible from outside through the bumper slats if both are working ask someone to switch off engine if the gasket is the problem on shutting off engine the radiator will throw out water due to pressure build up if that is the case engine has to be opened to replace it.also check if the engine piston rings need replacement by pulling out dipstick if the rings are worn out you will see smoke like gas coming out of the dipstick pipe in which case your engine will need to be overhauled.all the best.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:19   #60
Team-BHP Support

If you get starting problem only in morning, the glow plugs are shot.
This problem is very common. To verify this theory, before you start in the morning, open the bonnet and put boiling water on the place where injectors go in the engine.
Then crank. If she starts, its the glow plugs.
As for head gasket etc., if there is such a problem, you will see blue smoke from exhaust

Most Viewed