Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 21:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

I too am on the used car Market for a Indica Not so Old(2008 and above) with Less Miles done(I don't want a new indica!!!) in Kerala.I would like to stick with the car for at least 4 years.

I just Sold My 2002 Indica DLE last week and is very impressed with mileage albeit driving comfort is almost nil.

I am now confused between Buying Indica V2 DLG Turbo(non dicor) TCIC or Indica V2 DLS. TDi Indica was discontinued.Currently V2 DLS&DLE are on sale by Tata.
Doubts:

1)Will DLG Return a Mileage similar to DLE/DLS ?What about Maintanence of DLG Models Especially Engine Life(Turbo)?
2)Has Indica V2 DLS Got any Upgrades or Improvements after 2007 Models?
3)Is it possible to retrofit power windows to DLS Model?and How Much will be the Estimate approximately for front windows only.

Thank You.

Last edited by deepclutch : 11th December 2009 at 21:53.
Old 11th December 2009, 21:59   #77
BANNED

PW will set you back by around 7K for front two doors.

Some models are integrated with the security / remote system - lock the car, and the windows will roll up automatically.

I faintly recall a KL regd. indica in the classifieds section here.
Old 11th December 2009, 22:41   #78
Senior - BHPian

1) DLE - no. DLS, maybe, if you keep the revs below 2k. Once the turbo kicks your backside, you'll feel like flooring it again and again
2) after 2007, i think no
3)yes. What backseatdriver said
Old 12th December 2009, 13:31   #79
BANNED

Quote:
2)Has Indica V2 DLS Got any Upgrades or Improvements after 2007 Models?
I do recall that Indica got a face life - better front grilles some time around this period; and did see one Xeta from the old batch at Koyenco. The changes were mostly cosmetic - the older vehicles had sort of trapezioidal fog lamps in front bumpers, the new ones had round fog lamps. Of course, read "provision for fog lamps" for variants without fog lamps as OE.

So, be watchful for vehicles from older batch, but with newer registrations.
Old 12th December 2009, 16:22   #80
Senior - BHPian

backseatdriver, those are the 2007+ models
Old 21st August 2013, 21:51   #81
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a used Indica ?

Reviving an old thread.

I am offered a yr. 2000 indica DLE with 85000 odd kms on the odo(doubt that). It does not have power steering. The condition is okay and my mechanic said that it does not have any accidental damage. The price offered is 80,000. The suspension and ride seemed okay but the brakes and AC needs overhauling.

Would it be advisable to go for it?
Old 22nd August 2013, 00:22   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Reviving an old thread.

I am offered a yr. 2000 indica DLE with 85000 odd kms on the odo(doubt that). It does not have power steering. The condition is okay and my mechanic said that it does not have any accidental damage. The price offered is 80,000. The suspension and ride seemed okay but the brakes and AC needs overhauling.

RUN!! In the opposite direction. Tata even today doesn't know how to make cars, in 2000 it was at it infancy.
IIRC these will be 4 speed models which were later retrofitted with 5 speed gearbox at extra payment. Had numerous issues of overheating, electrical, tire alignment, no PS, poor AC and what not.

My friend had one when I was in college, superbly maintained (1999 model), his father being a defense officer. He sold it in 2007 for 1 lakh and quoted 'I WILL NEVER BUY A TATA AGAIN'. Added 50K to it and bought a second hand mpfi esteem and was very satisfied with it.

If you are looking for a decade old car, I would suggest a japenese car only, nothing else.

cheers
vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:54   #83
BHPian

Thanks vishwas.

The AC seemed not to work at all and the tyres where unevenly worn out. I think i may have to give it a skip and look for something else.
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think i may have to give it a skip and look for something else.
Yes. I would not touch an Indica from the year 2000 with a barge pole. I would hesitate to touch even a new one. The one's from the year 2000 were flawed straight out of the factory.

If you want a cheap run about for Indica money, look at a gasoline Ford Ikon 1.6. This car is expensive to fix but if you find one that is sound, it is a far better deal than a half engineered and tested TATA Indica. You can get a Ford from the same year for about the same money.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:29   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Reviving an old thread.

My father had bought a new Indica in 2003 or 2004 , we used it for a good 8 years and clocked 2.5L Kms on it . Fortunately we had maintained it well. By the time we sold it , it had developed engine problems , gear box was overhauled twice and mechanic suggested we overhaul engine and gear box again . The pick up dropped and so did FE , suspension was weak and the car started scrapping every small road hump. Of course it was over used and did a lot of factory work for us (transport machines ).

80 thousand Kms is the time when majority of your work starts . You will have to replace almost every thing. Timing belts , power steering fluids, gear box oil, engine oil , and lot of other things.

If you really want an indica , go for a new one and make sure you maintain it well. It can fetch you a good resale too .

FYI , we sold the above mentioned indica for 1.3L Rs .
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:01   #86
BHPian

85000 kms for a 13 year old car is to be seriously doubted. I had purchased a 2003 V2 DLS model in 2006 with 36000 kms on the odo. Luckily it was well maintained and it gave very good service. I sold it last week for 1.2L and I have booked the D90.

The new batch of Indica is a much improved version and I would suggest you go for the new (post 2008 if you are looking for resale only) if you really want to get an Indica.

Most Viewed