Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 12:49   #16

Re: Skoda India launches ‘Certified Pre-Owned’ used car programme

Off Topic- Need urgent advice

Bhp-ians, I need a humble advice. I am out to buy a pre-owned car. Based on my requirement, I have short listed two cars out of which I need to choose one.
1) Volkswagen Cross Polo 1.5 tdi 2014 Model Black Colour. 2nd Owner exquisitely maintained. New Goodyear upgraded tyres, 45000km on the ODO, service due in around 10 days (or 11000 km). Have an after market driver hand rest and better headlights. Asking Price is 50k less than 2nd option.

2) Skoda Rapid Style 2015 model 1.5 tdi Black edition Silver colour with black roof. 2nd owner seems well maintained (no further details). 37000km on the ODO and next service due only after a year (or 14500km). Everything stock. Tyres have run the kms in the ODO (I think it will run 10000km max). Blackened alloys, headlamps, roof..etc as per black package. Asking rate is 50k more than the 1st option.

I live in Trivandrum, where I have heard the Volkswagen service is better than the Skoda. But there are good private workshops too. Please advice on which is the better buy?
Old 10th October 2020, 01:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azharumon View Post
Off Topic- Need urgent advice

Bhp-ians, I need a humble advice. I am out to buy a pre-owned car. Based on my requirement, I have short listed two cars out of which I need to choose one.
1) Volkswagen Cross Polo 1.5 tdi 2014 Model Black Colour. 2nd Owner exquisitely maintained. New Goodyear upgraded tyres, 45000km on the ODO, service due in around 10 days (or 11000 km). Have an after market driver hand rest and better headlights. Asking Price is 50k less than 2nd option.

2) Skoda Rapid Style 2015 model 1.5 tdi Black edition Silver colour with black roof. 2nd owner seems well maintained (no further details). 37000km on the ODO and next service due only after a year (or 14500km). Everything stock. Tyres have run the kms in the ODO (I think it will run 10000km max). Blackened alloys, headlamps, roof..etc as per black package. Asking rate is 50k more than the 1st option.

I live in Trivandrum, where I have heard the Volkswagen service is better than the Skoda. But there are good private workshops too. Please advice on which is the better buy?
Hi Azharumon,

The following things should be taken into consideration towards purchasing a second-hand:

1. Purpose of vehicle: you are comparing an uncomfortable 4-seater Polo with a sedan Rapid (greater backseat legroom + boot). In case you expect to use this as a family vehicle, I think a huge number of points will be bucketed towards the Rapid.

2. Service history: make sure you get hold of service history records of the respective vehicles and you comb it through properly. A vehicle might look well maintained, but there could be a can of worms awaiting you post purchase. I had almost zeroed down on a nearly new Vento during my purchase saga, however a last minute service history record that I obtained from the dealer saved me from a headache.

3. Year of purchase of vehicle. 2014 v 2015; matters especially if government is going to expand the NGT diesel ban scene across the country (currently it's only applicable to Delhi). Stranger things have happened.

4. Servicing options: zero down on which FNG or ASS you will be using for getting your vehicle serviced. Maybe search through the forum and find out which option works out better in Trivandrum

I believe both the vehicles would be out of warranty, so that's not a factor to be considered. Do take into account the amount of money you'll be spending on either of the cars to spruce it up to your needs and requirements (the Rapid requires a tyre change I believe, so build that into the purchase cost).

Hope this helps!
mrinalnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 06:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinalnanda View Post
Hi Azharumon,

The following things should be taken into consideration towards purchasing a second-hand:

1. Purpose of vehicle: you are comparing an uncomfortable 4-seater Polo with a sedan Rapid (greater backseat legroom + boot). In case you expect to use this as a family vehicle, I think a huge number of points will be bucketed towards the Rapid.

2. Service history: make sure you get hold of service history records of the respective vehicles and you comb it through properly. A vehicle might look well maintained, but there could be a can of worms awaiting you post purchase. I had almost zeroed down on a nearly new Vento during my purchase saga, however a last minute service history record that I obtained from the dealer saved me from a headache.

3. Year of purchase of vehicle. 2014 v 2015; matters especially if government is going to expand the NGT diesel ban scene across the country (currently it's only applicable to Delhi). Stranger things have happened.

4. Servicing options: zero down on which FNG or ASS you will be using for getting your vehicle serviced. Maybe search through the forum and find out which option works out better in Trivandrum

I believe both the vehicles would be out of warranty, so that's not a factor to be considered. Do take into account the amount of money you'll be spending on either of the cars to spruce it up to your needs and requirements (the Rapid requires a tyre change I believe, so build that into the purchase cost).

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much. Due to my budget constraint and my not so wise decision, I went ahead and gave advance to the Polo. I will get the car today. Hopefully I wish it will be trouble free for a few years, till I upgrade to a new vehicle. I hope I don't feel much guilty I missed out on the rapid after a while. Maybe if I got to see your post yesterday, I might have gone for the rapid. The cost of new tyres on the rapid like you mentioned pulled me away from it due to my budget constraint. Thanks anyway for your advice.
Old 10th October 2020, 16:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I went ahead and gave advance to the Polo. I will get the car today.
Azhar

Many congratulations. Amongst your picks, Polo is not a bad car at all. I think what Mrinal meant is that you need to see the car against your use-case and few other things like the availability of a nearby Service center, and other things.

Yes, Polo is indeed a bit low on the back seat comfort but then it has a great engine and driveability. Wishing you thousands of miles on your new acquire.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 17:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Azhar

Many congratulations. Amongst your picks, Polo is not a bad car at all. I think what Mrinal meant is that you need to see the car against your use-case and few other things like the availability of a nearby Service center, and other things.

Yes, Polo is indeed a bit low on the back seat comfort but then it has a great engine and driveability. Wishing you thousands of miles on your new acquire.

--Kalyan
Kalyan

Thank You very much for your re-assuring remarks. I took the car today and gave for service. Will get it on Monday. Hope I could do a user review after using it for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Avventura vs VW Cross Polo vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Ford EcoSport-img_20201010_120414.jpg  

Azharumon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 10:27   #21

Quote:
Kalyan

Thank You very much for your re-assuring remarks. I took the car today and gave for service. Will get it on Monday. Hope I could do a user review after using it for a while.
Congratulations Azharumon, that looks like a sweet ride. I have seldom come across a Cross Polo that too in this colour.

Apologies if you got disheartened by my previous post, but as kalyan_hyd stated, my intention was to give you an idea about what would I do when such a predicament between choosing two fabulously engineering VAG vehicles came in mind.

Wish you the very best with your new set of wheels
mrinalnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 14:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinalnanda View Post
Congratulations Azharumon, that looks like a sweet ride. I have seldom come across a Cross Polo that too in this colour.

Apologies if you got disheartened by my previous post, but as kalyan_hyd stated, my intention was to give you an idea about what would I do when such a predicament between choosing two fabulously engineering VAG vehicles came in mind.

Wish you the very best with your new set of wheels
Mrinal Nanda, Thank You very much for your reassuring words. Once I bought it, I am totally satisfied. VAG no doubt is engineered for quality and I hope it gives me the chance to tell it's engineered for reliability too after a year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks