Celerio 63 39.13%
WagonR 98 60.87%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 19:01   #16
BHPian

re: Maruti: WagonR or Celerio?

One more strange thing that came up:

WagonR who base price is 4.18L has Zero dep Insurance of about 17K while the Celerio who base price is 4.45L has Zero dep Insurance of about 15K . Is is possible that a lower value car will have higher Insurance ?
Old 4th November 2014, 19:47   #17
D4D
BHPian

If you can sit in the celerio comfortably, I would say it's a better choice. It's a newer car, has ABS and airbags and is better loaded. I would say it's safer than the WagonR as it's a fresh design. (It's the 8th gen Alto worldwide, so it's a better car)
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 21:27   #18
BHPian

May I suggest that you consider the Ford Figo Titanium cause its in the same price bracket as the two options you are looking at, with the 60k+ discounts going on it.

It may be a just a touch more expensive month on month as its slightly less fuel efficient. But its build quality and its safety rating will be more than worth the money you pay; I believe you will end up doing that happily.

Just some food for thought.
PVPal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 21:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMKIM View Post
Some strange cost cutting which Maruti has done for Celerio ZXI : The keyless entry is only given in one key while the other key is a normal one . This is what the showroom guy told me. How much will Maruti save in one key ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Keyless entry cost saving may be miniscule but considering the volume of Celerios going off racks, it will be a good saving(though I am sure that Zxis may not be very popular after all!!).
This is something that Honda does even in Civic! Probably Maruti couldn't digest the fact that they were not really saving the few bucks there and decided to learn from Honda.

There were hundreds of things I wished Maruti would learn from Honda but this was clearly not one among them!

Quote:
One more strange thing that came up:

WagonR who base price is 4.18L has Zero dep Insurance of about 17K while the Celerio who base price is 4.45L has Zero dep Insurance of about 15K . Is is possible that a lower value car will have higher Insurance ?
That sounds interesting, I'm hearing this for the first time. Are the Celerio spares cheaper than that of Wagon R? If that is the case, it could be possible to have a lower premium even with a higher initial cost, since they need to pay full price of spares in case of a claim.

The only other possible reasons (speculation) I can think of is that the Celerio is probably not awaiting a facelift soon and hence the parts availability and pricing need not be a worry while Wagon R might get a face lift next year and there could be a small hike in the spares of old Wagon R post that. I can't think of any other reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
If you can sit in the celerio comfortably, I would say it's a better choice. It's a newer car, has ABS and airbags and is better loaded. I would say it's safer than the WagonR as it's a fresh design. (It's the 8th gen Alto worldwide, so it's a better car)
Doesn't Wagon R VXi (O) provide airbags + ABS? Or, is it still just driver airbag and storage space for a polythene bag in Wagon R VXi(O)?
Old 4th November 2014, 21:40   #20
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Doesn't Wagon R VXi (O) provide airbags + ABS? Or, is it still just driver airbag and storage space for a polythene bag in Wagon R VXi(O)?
Only Driver airbag and ABS optional on the VXi variant.

Maruti: WagonR or Celerio?-screenshot-20141104-213743.png

The celerio is a new car, hence the structural integrity might be better.
D4D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 21:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Going by Maruti's track record, it is the exact opposite. They are finding new ways to cut cost every day and a newer model is probably at higher risk!
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 21:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Check the weight of the older and face lifted Swift. The new Swift is lighter, the weight loss is 2.6% while comparing the ZXi models, lower models weight not given in the new Swift.

I have a feeling that the weight loss is further compromise on the structure of the car, more than anything else. I think Maruti's philosophy is pretty clear, less weight more fuel efficiency.
PVPal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 21:55   #23
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Going by Maruti's track record, it is the exact opposite. They are finding new ways to cut cost every day and a newer model is probably at higher risk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
I have a feeling that the weight loss is further compromise on the structure of the car, more than anything else. I think Maruti's philosophy is pretty clear, less weight more fuel efficiency.
That's why I added "might." Few would argue against the fact that WagonR's design has not changed for years.

Sure they may remove a few components from the celerio, but it's crash-worthiness maybe slightly better than the WagonR. Anyway, when both are tested, they will fail and get pathetic scores in the NCAP.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 21:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

The WagonR has a crumple zone that works as intended. The front end takes the impact well and the passenger cabin is relatively intact in case of medium to small shunts. The WagonR has better quality interior plastics, seats and dashboard than the Celerio. The Celerio is a fresher product and has better handling characteristics than the WagonR. Celerio has better boot space and good rear legroom almost on par with the WagonR. The WagonR has a slight edge in ease of ingress and egress. End of the day structural integrity is more important in our context, as many cars lack it and airbags are useless without it. I believe the Ritz would be the best bet here. I for one for would prefer ABS and airbags as standard options from the base variant and would prefer to see the music system, power windows, keyless entry and motor driven ORVM's moved to the list of options instead. Sadly, the market doesn't prefer things that way.

Last edited by longhorn : 5th November 2014 at 21:25.
Old 5th November 2014, 21:28   #25
BHPian

@longhorn : I see you have a "[COLOR=#777]2014 WagonR Vxi"[/COLOR]How is the mileage when compared with Ritz ?

And how is the music system of WagonR compared to Celerio if you had a chance to test ride Celerio ?
Old 5th November 2014, 21:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@longhorn : I see you have a "[COLOR=#777]2014 WagonR Vxi"[/COLOR]How is the mileage when compared with Ritz ?

And how is the music system of WagonR compared to Celerio if you had a chance to test ride Celerio ?
My WagonR has done only 760 kms as on date, hence I haven't been able to do a proper FE test, but a ball park figure would be around 13-15 kmpl with 70 % a/c and 100 % city use. The Ritz would give me 10-12.5 kmpl in similar city usage and around 17.5 kmpl during highway runs with a/c. The Ritz has much better build quality and the drivability is better too.

The music system on the WagonR is nothing great just average. I did not check out the music system on the Celerio so cannot compare the two. FE on the Celerio would definitely be higher than the WagonR. You can lookup my ownership thread for a detailed review of the WagonR and my observations vis a vis the Ritz.

Last edited by longhorn : 5th November 2014 at 21:58.
Old 6th November 2014, 09:26   #27
BHPian

There is too much cost cutting on the Celerio IMO. The interiors look kind of bland. But on the flipside, handling and FE is better. If I had to put in my extra money I would get myself a car that is itself a segment higher than the Wagon R - a Ritz Lxi/Vxi maybe. As for the competition b/w Wagon R and Celerio, the former wins hands down as a VFM package. Moreover the Wagon R with ABS version makes more sense to purchase but it has waiting periods of a few months.
Old 6th November 2014, 17:59   #28
BHPian

Re: Maruti: WagonR or Celerio?

Quote:
Hey,

Thinking of buying a new car (exchanging my old one....) ...

WagonR VXI after discounts/cashback : 3.3 L
Celerio ZXI : 4.17 L

These figures are after exchange.
Thanks.
Hi SIMKIM, can you confirm the prices please?

WagonR VXi and Celerio ZXi as per Ex-SRP on Maruti website are set apart by around 30K, Celerio being the expensive one.

As per the pricing that you have mentioned, the difference is huge. Does this mean that there are big discounts on WagonR that is widening the difference to as much as 90K?

Thanks,
C_
Old 6th November 2014, 18:47   #29
BHPian

If the pricing is what you mention, both having the same engine and with your kind of usage the decision should be a no-brainer. Go for the WagonR if you are ok with how it looks.
Old 6th November 2014, 19:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

In August, we purchased a Celerio Zxi (available only in MT) for my mother-in-law. Our observation and buying criteria were as follows:

Wagon R, in my opinion is a better looking product having relatively more premium interiors. Also, Wagon R is a time tested proven product having very good sale. So initial my wife thought of Wagon R for my mother-in-law.

After having a personal look at both the cars and their specs, I observed that Celerio comes with ABS and airbags. Nowdays, even in normal city usage, the car user sometimes need to go to the ring roads or satellite towns along the highways. On such roads, safety features will be useful.

Celerio has more ease to sit three persons in the rear, compared to Wagon R.

Celerio has more boot space compared to Wagon R. Wagon R has very little boot space now; I cannot consider it suitable for outstation travel with luggage. It is strictly a city car.

My wife and the MIL liked the front looks of Celeio very much. They were happy with the TD too. Also it is a fresher product.

After the above observations, we concluded in favour of Celerio Zxi even though it is not available in AT.

Hope, this information helps you in the decision making.

In May 2014, we booked the car in Ahmednagar, the home town of my in-laws. After waiting for 2-3 months, we still had no news about the delivery. I called the dealers in Pune and told them that I can make an immediate purchase if the car is available ex-stock. Surprisingly, I got one Zxi MT (white) at Sai Service (Deccan Gymkhana).

We concluded the deal on the same day and got the car delivered in next 3 days, in September. I did a thorough PDI check at their godown and the results were good.

The experience at the dealership was very very average. After the delivery, there was a phone call form Maruti Suzuki, about dealership experience. When I started saying that the experience was very very average, they cut the call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks