WagonR 98 60.87%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 20:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti: WagonR or Celerio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
As per the pricing that you have mentioned, the difference is huge. Does this mean that there are big discounts on WagonR that is widening the difference to as much as 90K?
The price difference is indeed on account of discounts. Celerio hardly has any offers going whereas there are huge discounts / offers on the Wagon R.

Now coming back to the main question of the thread, my vote will go for the Celerio because its a fresher product and personally I do not like tall boy designs. Do keep in mind that Wagon R can comfortably seat only 4, whereas the celerio with its wider design is relatively better for 3 people at the back. I would recommend you opt for the Wagon R only if you are not willing to stretch your budget.
Old 6th November 2014, 20:30   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Being a WagonR owner, I have to say that the way the WagonR handles isn't that great compared to the celerio, and secondly the Celerio ZXi will give you better kit on the safety front. Build quality wise the celerio as someone pointed out is maybe as good as the WagonR but not better since MS is findng new ways to cut costs in the excuse of making cars lighter. On the whole I can vouch for the wagonR but if you are an enthusiastic driver then look elsewhere. This car isn't meant to be flattened out. However, for a sedate driving style its really good.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 21:16   #33
BHPian

The Celerio received 3 stars in Euro NCAP crash tests and 4 stars in Latin NCAP. Of course the Euro model had front and side airbags while the Latin one had 2 front airbags. Hence the Celerio might be a safer bet out of the two choices you have.
Old 6th November 2014, 21:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The Celerio received 3 stars in Euro NCAP crash tests and 4 stars in Latin NCAP. Of course the Euro model had front and side airbags while the Latin one had 2 front airbags. Hence the Celerio might be a safer bet out of the two choices you have.
Don't be so sure. The Euro spec Swift, if I recall correctly, got a 5 star rating. Ours got a big zero. So we safely assume that what we get here is a watered down version of the original.
Old 6th November 2014, 21:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Don't be so sure. The Euro spec Swift, if I recall correctly, got a 5 star rating. Ours got a big zero. So we safely assume that what we get here is a watered down version of the original.
I am not sure at all. The Indian versions are likely to score less just for the lack of ESC and extra airbags in addition to any possible structural issues. Simply that the Celerio is a newer product and thus might be better than the WagonR. Neither of them is a very safe choice but those were the two choices here.
Old 6th November 2014, 22:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I am not sure at all. The Indian versions are likely to score less just for the lack of ESC and extra airbags in addition to any possible structural issues. Simply that the Celerio is a newer product and thus might be better than the WagonR. Neither of them is a very safe choice but those were the two choices here.
The point I was trying to make is that we cannot go with what the Euro spec vehicles scored any longer. Maruti is lowering the structural integrity of the vehicle sold in India, most probably in the interest of higher FE. Now if the monocoque itself is not able to hold its ground, the airbags don't make any difference. Hence we need to see the results of a test done on the Indian spec WagonR and Celerio to come to a proper conclusion. The Celerio being a newer design, should, in normal scheme of things, be better than the WagonR in terms of structural integrity, but the tests results of the Swift show otherwise. Compromising on the structural integrity to increase FE - this is just not acceptable in today's day and age.
Old 6th November 2014, 22:19   #37
BHPian

No matter what choice you make, I would recommend buying a car with ABS and Two Airbags (Driver and Co-Passenger) at the least.

We have been having so many discussions on the forums about how important ABS and airbags are and also the recent NCAP ratings of the Swift and Datsun Go. While buying a car about a year back, ABS and Airbags (Two) were my bare minimum criteria. Any car or any variant that does not meet that was a straight 'NO'.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 23:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
Hi SIMKIM, can you confirm the prices please?

WagonR VXi and Celerio ZXi as per Ex-SRP on Maruti website are set apart by around 30K, Celerio being the expensive one.

As per the pricing that you have mentioned, the difference is huge. Does this mean that there are big discounts on WagonR that is widening the difference to as much as 90K?

Thanks,
C_
Yes prices on website would be 5.12L (Celerio) & 4.85L (WagonR). But for WagonR I get 32k cash discount, 3-5k corporate bonus, 30k exchange bonus for my old WagonR so difference would be about 90k+.
Old 6th November 2014, 23:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
In August, we purchased a Celerio Zxi (available only in MT) for my mother-in-law. Our observation and buying criteria were as follows:

Wagon R, in my opinion is a better looking product having relatively more premium interiors. Also, Wagon R is a time tested proven product having very good sale. So initial my wife thought of Wagon R for my mother-in-law.

After having a personal look at both the cars and their specs, I observed that Celerio comes with ABS and airbags. Nowdays, even in normal city usage, the car user sometimes need to go to the ring roads or satellite towns along the highways. On such roads, safety features will be useful.

Celerio has more ease to sit three persons in the rear, compared to Wagon R.

Celerio has more boot space compared to Wagon R. Wagon R has very little boot space now; I cannot consider it suitable for outstation travel with luggage. It is strictly a city car.

My wife and the MIL liked the front looks of Celeio very much. They were happy with the TD too. Also it is a fresher product.

After the above observations, we concluded in favour of Celerio Zxi even though it is not available in AT.

Hope, this information helps you in the decision making.

In May 2014, we booked the car in Ahmednagar, the home town of my in-laws. After waiting for 2-3 months, we still had no news about the delivery. I called the dealers in Pune and told them that I can make an immediate purchase if the car is available ex-stock. Surprisingly, I got one Zxi MT (white) at Sai Service (Deccan Gymkhana).

We concluded the deal on the same day and got the car delivered in next 3 days, in September. I did a thorough PDI check at their godown and the results were good.

The experience at the dealership was very very average. After the delivery, there was a phone call form Maruti Suzuki, about dealership experience. When I started saying that the experience was very very average, they cut the call.
So you bought Celerio Zxi (O) or Celerio Zxi from Sai Service ?
Old 6th November 2014, 23:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Ours got 3 stars with airbags and ABS, so its safe to assume celerio will be better than other older designs.
giri1.8 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 09:18   #41
BHPian

From my perspective, if we consider the following parameters:

1. Handling and driving dynamics: Celerio scores more than Wagon R.
2. Performance: Both cars come with the same engine and performance is more or less the same in both cars.
3. Ingress/Egress: Wagon R is better.
4. Interiors: Wagon R scores more.
5. Exteriors: Subject to the buyers's choice.
6. Safety: We are aware that safety kits are available in Celerio. Even Wagon R is shodded with a Vxi optional variants with Airbags and ABS. As for the safety ratings, we are unaware of NCAP ratings for both of these cars but I have read somewhere that the crumple zone in Wagon R is better. Since we are not aware of how these cars would fare in real world scenario it is safe not to comment.
6. Boot Space: Celerio has more boot space.
7. Seating: Wagon R seats offer good under thigh support and adjustable head rests are a no-brainer.
8. VFM Proposition: Wagon R wins hands down IMO.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 09:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMKIM View Post
So you bought Celerio Zxi (O) or Celerio Zxi from Sai Service ?
We bought Zxi (O) from Sai Service (Deccan). In 2011, I had purchased SX4 Zxi from My Car (at Wakad) and that was a much better buying experience. For Celerio too, I enquired with them but the car was not available ex-stock or in a few days. So we went ahead with Sai Service.

I am based at Pune. As a fellow BHPian, please feel free to contact me for any queries.
Old 7th November 2014, 12:34   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMKIM View Post
Other than that I think both the cars are very similar... I am about 6 feet tall and WagonR gives me easy igress and egress.. Also it is a bit better in terms of road visibility than Celerio (mostly for my family who are around 5.3")
Even I am 6 feet tall and own a Wagon R VXI (blue eyed boy), its is very comfortable to drive and also comes with a steering height adjustment. I think you should go for a Wagon R, on highways I have got a mileage of upto 21 kmpl.
However I suggest that you go for the VXI model with ABS and driver side air bag (unfortunately they offer only 1 airbag). It costs approx. 25k more than the regular VXI model but would offer more safety. It usually would have waiting period close to a month because many people don't buy it as the cost is close to a Ritz Lxi.
Old 7th November 2014, 14:26   #44
BHPian

You cannot beat the WagonR for practicality. If your daily commute does not need you travel with 4 other people and a boot full of luggage go for the WagonR VXI with all the bells and whistles.

Celerio is a newer product but does not have anything to demand 25% premium over its competent sibling. So the final word is, if you want VFM and practicality then WagonR is your best bet. But if you want driving pleasure, dump MUL and go to your nearest Honda dealership to TD a BRIO.
Old 7th November 2014, 15:26   #45
BHPian

I used WagonR (LXI-LPG) for 7 years before I upgraded to Ertiga. WagonR is very reliable car and easy to maintain. It still has huge demand in pre-owned market. Believe me, I sold my 7 year WagonR (LXI, 80k on oddo) for 1,90,000 INR
Since you are tall, no other car will provide you as much as space the tallboy provides (in that price range)! Celerio may be a new product, but its not that advanced (engine, drivability, ride quality, features) to go with it, while ditching WagonR.
At the end choice is yours, but chose the one with Air bag & ABS (at least).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks