Celerio 63 39.13%
WagonR 98 60.87%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2014, 13:12   #1
BHPian

Maruti: WagonR or Celerio?

Hey,

Thinking of buying a new car (exchanging my old one....) ...

WagonR VXI after discounts/cashback : 3.3 L
Celerio ZXI : 4.17 L

These figures are after exchange.

My usage would be 15 KM (to and fro) maximum for weekdays and 500 KM once in 4 months. So average would not be more than 6500-7000 KMs yearly.

Comparing the Celerio ZXI and Wagon R VXI :
Wagon R looks are outdated but it is reliable and has always been the best practical car...
Wagon R does not get the steering mounted controls (though not a deal breaker for me) and the Bluetooth in Audio system.
Other than that I think both the cars are very similar... I am about 6 feet tall and WagonR gives me easy igress and egress.. Also it is a bit better in terms of road visibility than Celerio (mostly for my family who are around 5.3")

Celerio does have a better mileage but its is only 10% extra and I am paying 25% extra for Celerio... so that would not matter.

Any other advantages of Celerio which I have not taken into account ?
I have tested the Celerio AMT but did not like it too much and the waiting period for VXI AMT is toooo looong.

Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2014, 21:58   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti: WagonR or Celerio?

It would probably depend on how long you intend to keep the car as one of the main factors. You can't go wrong with either of them as both are Maruti products. Personally I'd go for celerio considering it's a fresher product. WagonR has had countless cosmetic upgrades and is presently in its final stretches and Maruti is bound to replace it soon with a fresher product. A celerio has a feel good factor, is here to stay and is a success unlike A-star and will definitely fetch you better resale. One thing I've noticed about mileage is that if you have a car that offers a better mileage or a diesel for that matter, you tend to drive more. Also check for driving comfort, you'll probably be comfortable driving wagonR considering your height.

Thanks
Sunny

Last edited by Autodoc : 2nd November 2014 at 22:11.
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

My opinion is that Wagon R is a better buy. Ranging from better seats ( Celerio front seats do not have adjustable head rests and rear seat is just too thin ), more space and much more airy cabin to better NVH. Wagon R seems to be better as far as passenger comfort goes.

Celerio has high amount of suspension and road noise, very poor seats and less space. Wagon R is a comfortable option and also considering your height, it would be more comfortable to drive. Better visibility in Wagon R is an added plus. My Wagon R K10 CNG is around 4 years old now and has done 52,000 kms. It still seems more eager and lively to drive than my Grand i10 diesel.

The seating position on Wagon R is on higher side which is good for night driving as the headlights of oncoming traffic hit you less than in Celerio.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 2nd November 2014 at 22:56.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:40   #4
BHPian

I would cite the reasons why we chose for the Wagon R over the Celerio:

1. Dual tone interiors looks good.
2. Ingress/Egress easy.
3. Overall Visibility is better.
4. Adjustable Headrests are present.

Celerio may be a fresh product from Maruti's stable but it is housing the same k10 engine. Therefore for an overall VFM package, the Wagon R is a better buy IMO.

Other than this, you can consider the i10 1.1 and Honda Brio depending on your priorities.
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMKIM View Post
WagonR VXI after discounts/cashback : 3.3 L
Celerio ZXI : 4.17 L

These figures are after exchange.

My usage would be 15 KM (to and fro) maximum for weekdays and 500 KM once in 4 months. So average would not be more than 6500-7000 KMs yearly.

Comparing the Celerio ZXI and Wagon R VXI :
Wagon R looks are outdated but it is reliable and has always been the best practical car...
Wagon R does not get the steering mounted controls (though not a deal breaker for me) and the Bluetooth in Audio system.
Other than that I think both the cars are very similar... I am about 6 feet tall and WagonR gives me easy igress and egress.. Also it is a bit better in terms of road visibility than Celerio (mostly for my family who are around 5.3")

Celerio does have a better mileage but its is only 10% extra and I am paying 25% extra for Celerio... so that would not matter.
Since you mentioned Steering mounted audio controls, Stingray has them in the VXI(O) variant. What is the quote for Stingray that you are getting? It serves the practicality of Wagon R while having a different look, considering you feel Wagon R as outdated. If Stingray has similar discounts as Wagon R, I think Stingray VXi(O) should be a good bet. Stingray is not a design that everyone likes but it is still a worthwhile option if you don't have any dislike to that design.

Considering your low running, the mileage aspect can be safely ignored and the ergonomics/practicality can be given priority.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would say book Celerio AMT vxi ASAP, and they you can take your time to decide. Frankly I would go for either WagonR VXI or Celerio VXI. Non AMT celerio doesn't seem any exciting.

How much is the Sting WagonR costing? Have you considered that?

If you buy automatic car, the number of persons that can/will use the car will increase. My wife can't drive my Beat yet, because of the gears. Had it been auto, I am sure she would use it a lot. Consider this as well.
Old 2nd November 2014, 23:22   #7
BHPian

Thanks guys !

Regarding Stringray, I think it looks aggressive than WagonR from Front side and of course it gets the alloys.

Stringray VXI would be about 35K costlier and VXI (O) should be 65K costlier.

The only issue I see with Stringray is that its selling in very low volumes and Maruti may stop is altogether. This may affect the spare parts availability in near future considering it is a not a big seller, I may not get parts from 3rd party vendors as well. I know that engine and other parts have not changed but the front lights, indicators all those things which break easily.

I would be keeping the car for atleast 5-6 years. I do not think Maruti may stop Wagon R is near future considering it is still its 4th top seller and has not weakened its position for all these years and the discount which I am getting now will offset any lower resale value which I may get later (in case the WagonR is discontinued or refreshed altogether).

I haven't had a chance to test drive the new Wagonr , but the old one which I have has awesome legroom especially the front seat which I do see limited a little bit in Celerio. Not sure about the build quality - whether WagonR is better than Celerio.

I had driven the Celerio VXI AMT and Celerio ZXI : I would say the AMT still had a bit of issue when going from 1st to 2nd (about 2 secs delay in response) which I do not realize while driving my current WagonR or the Celerio ZXI. I still like the AMT atleast the VFM perspective and the convenience considering in future the traffic is going to be worse. My family is comfortable driving a geared car (including my spouse) and they liked the geared one better - I think it is more to do with the acceptance of a automatic vehicle and getting used to it...

I will try to get a test drive of new WagonR soon ...lets see..

Thank you all again...
SIMKIM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:08   #8
BHPian

I would suggest you to consider Wagon VXi with ABS.Consider getting stereo ,tilt steering ,rear defogger,rear screen washer ,wiper and ABS additional just for a small extra payment.If you are not in to the looks ,Wagon R is a great buy as it is surely a practical car .
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had driven the Celerio VXI AMT and Celerio ZXI : I would say the AMT still had a bit of issue when going from 1st to 2nd (about 2 secs delay in response) which I do not realize while driving my current WagonR or the Celerio ZXI.
Reports are that AMT in the Alto is more responsive and less jerky,it is speculated that Celerio will get the 'tweaked' AMT shortly.

Also good to note Wagon R is also rumored to have afacelift coming in 2015 but expect no major exterior change but a Amt and diesel is possible.
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:00   #10
BHPian

Yes I heard about WagonR AMT , I think that would be a killer combination and may hamper Celerio since there is nothing outstanding otherwise in Celerio and the VFM which WagonR has. I would like to do the deal by this year end so not sure if new WagonR would be worth the wait unless Maruti is making major exterior changes.
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Would be better to put a poll.

My vote for the Wagon R. Reasons:

1) Easier Ingress and Egress
2) 6 ft height is better suited for the tall boy.
3) Very easy to maintain and it has been here for a long time. So every FNG is aware about the mechanical/electrical.
4) Cheaper to buy considering discounts available
5) More Space.
6) Frugal engine
7) You can consider Sting Ray if you want something a little jazzier!!
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:15   #12
BHPian

Hey guys any idea about the build quality of Celerio vs WagonR ? Which one feels better ?
Some strange cost cutting which Maruti has done for Celerio ZXI : The keyless entry is only given in one key while the other key is a normal one . This is what the showroom guy told me. How much will Maruti save in one key ?
SIMKIM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys any idea about the build quality of Celerio vs WagonR ? Which one feels better ?
Some strange cost cutting which Maruti has done for Celerio ZXI : The keyless entry is only given in one key while the other key is a normal one . This is what the showroom guy told me. How much will Maruti save in one key ?
Both the cars are built to cost and dont expect a lot from the build quality in either of them.

The cars have inconsistent panel gaps, super thin glasses and high NVH within the cabin.

Also, being Maruti, do keep in mind that rattles may creep in within 10K kms of ownership.

Keyless entry cost saving may be miniscule but considering the volume of Celerios going off racks, it will be a good saving(though I am sure that Zxis may not be very popular after all!!).
Old 4th November 2014, 18:01   #14
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Took WagonR test drive and liked it. I had some queries :
1. Looks like the new WagonR has less boot space than the earlier one. The earlier one had quarter glass and the space was hugh for two big bags and two smaller ones on top.
2. How to use the USB slot provided in the music player ? I could not play anything from my mobile not sure if it requires a special adapter.
Any idea how is the sound quality with respect to Celerio ?

WagonR does not have Bluetooth and the non-operational USB slot is a big no-no for me, it eliminates all the convenience we can have.
Old 4th November 2014, 18:27   #15
BHPian

The stock HU has more/less the same functionality in all Maruti cars. As for the USB slot, I play songs from my pen drive and it works pretty flawlessly. There is no stock Bluetooth funcrionality available but I am not sure if you can purchase after market ones.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Took WagonR test drive and liked it. I had some queries :
1. Looks like the new WagonR has less boot space than the earlier one. The earlier one had quarter glass and the space was hugh for two big bags and two smaller ones on top.
2. How to use the USB slot provided in the music player ? I could not play anything from my mobile not sure if it requires a special adapter.
Any idea how is the sound quality with respect to Celerio ?

WagonR does not have Bluetooth and the non-operational USB slot is a big no-no for me, it eliminates all the convenience we can have.

Most Viewed