Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 16:29   #1
BHPian

Honda Brio AT vs Mahindra e2o

The need for a second car started around 6 months back. After doing a lot of test drives, reviews of Celerio, i10, Brio, and Micra we had closed on Brio. The another option was Mahindra Reva e2o T2. Given that it was not available in Chennai had written it off the list.

Last week, we finalized the Brio AT and made a booking. Told him wanted it only in Jan and it has to be a 2015 vehicle and we closed the chapter. In the evening I get a call from Mahindra Reva team that they have worked out a deal for me in Chennai via their India Garage dealer and can be registered in Chennai. This excited me again and the problem started.

Now, my wife travels around 20-25 kms a day Mon to Friday. Usually she and her mom or sometimes, she drops kids at school. The car is completely for city rides and will never see highway (which is the Civic duty).

I am in dilemma on whether to cancel Brio and go with e2o are not. I am putting my thoughts and looking for perspective from you guys. I intend to keep the car for 6-7 yrs

Honda Brio:
On-road is 7.21 lakhs in Chennai with 3k discount and floor mats free

What works:
1. Safety - Airbags & ABS
2. Stylish and ride quality
3. Honda badge and resale
4. Service support
5. City and Highway ready
6. Wife approval

What doesn't:
1. Possible facelift with features like rear wiper
2. Fuel cost and mileage
3. Higher ownership cost

Mahindra e2O T20
This is the new 120 kms with Power Steering. 7.5 lakhs on-road in Chennai. The battery pack is also paid up.

What works:
1. Ownership and running cost
2. Ease of maintenance
3. Environment (hopefully, will go for solar panel later so can avoid coal based electricity)
4. Features (SMS service, online monitoring by Mahindra, ability to start A/C before starting car, Phone control)
5. Exclusivity
6. Fun drive (Lower noise level, turning radius, resistant to scratches and crow shit)
7. Mahindra's response and care till now for my queries

What doesn't:
1. No Airbags or ABS, real bummer for me and this I feel is the main compromise!
2. Range (though 120 kms if pretty good still you can't take for long drive)
3. Design (wife not totally sold on it)
4. Fear of driving in step inclines like shopping malls (yet to try hill assist)

I did a calculation on the cost based on the Team-Bhp official review. Posting a snapshot of my calculation:

Honda Brio AT vs Mahindra e2o-briovsreva.jpg

On a 7 yrs ownership, the e2o saves around 1.9 lakhs compared to a Brio. If we take 5 yrs, the saving is around 70,000 rs. At 5 yrs, I have included 1.5 lakhs for the Reva battery and around 20,000 extra for maintenance for Brio.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by madbullram : 10th December 2014 at 16:37.
madbullram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 16:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Brio AT vs Mahindra e2o

Will the e2o actually last 5 years? Tincan construction, no power steering, brakes have a rather tough bite to them etc. Also just two doors so if your wife is juggling kids + shopping she won't have much space.

Get a brio - or maybe an i10 grand
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 17:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Easy selection.

Brio wins hands down.

Reasons:

1) Better overall car
2) Safety
3) Can actually be used as a second car. e20 will be limited in the 120 kms range
4) Great peppy engine and true fun to drive little hatch
5) HONDA ASC is better and has better reach
6) e20 may not last 5 years. 7 YEars is optimistic.
7) Better resale for the Brio
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 17:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Will the e2o actually last 5 years? Tincan construction, no power steering, brakes have a rather tough bite to them etc. Also just two doors so if your wife is juggling kids + shopping she won't have much space.
That's exactly what my wife was asking. Her point is 4 yrs max and we will buy another car given that its a daily car. So, now I looking loss in resale too. Updated calculation after 4 yrs, e2O saves around 36k INR:
Honda Brio AT vs Mahindra e2o-brio2.jpg

Mods: Can you please edit the original post to 4 yrs and the new image? I am not able to edit it anymore.

She wont juggle with kids or shopping. I actually feel the 2 door is not that inconvenient for kids. Its a NO NO if my mom needs to sit behind, which wont be the case.

Last edited by madbullram : 10th December 2014 at 17:25.
madbullram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 17:34   #5
BHPian

Don't put yourself through this mate.

The Brio is a sound choice. It doesn't matter if the car will only see the city roads and no highways. Safety is paramount. No ABS and no airbags on the Mahindra makes it a no brainer.

Plus take it from a Brio owner, that car will make you smile.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 18:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

"4 years max"? I give that tincan about two years, max, of sustained use before extensive repairs start getting necessary that'll cost you rather more than what you project you'll save. Where'd you get the 2500 / year service cost from?

That's not even counting all the dents from every single time a scooty scrapes past it.
Old 10th December 2014, 18:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
"4 years max"? I give that tincan about two years, max, of sustained use before extensive repairs start getting necessary that'll cost you rather more than what you project you'll save. Where'd you get the 2500 / year service cost from?

That's not even counting all the dents from every single time a scooty scrapes past it.
1. Servie cost is from Tbhp reviews, mahindra, and talking to few real-time owners

2. Is the dent thing based on your experience? The reason I ask is spoke to 5 owners till date and everyone gave me the opposite of it saying they had such incidents and the e2O came out without any scratch. In fact, that was given as one of the features of the car in our official review

3. Again 2 years might be too harsh, even original Reva lasted longer.
Old 10th December 2014, 19:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you sure that the Mahindra will only depreciate by 50% after you have used it for the said period. I have a feeling that the depreciation might be much higher compared to the Brio.

On the other hand no one knows the future. May be the government gives a significant boost to the electric car industry and these vehicles become sought after in our market.

Having said that even with your calculations, a difference of mere 36k is insignificant according to me and definitely not worth the limitations associated with the car such as distance covered, number of passengers, luggage capacity and the go anywhere ability. My vote hence goes to the Brio.

Last edited by drmohitg : 10th December 2014 at 19:21.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 19:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Go with the Brio my friend.
e20 will cost you a lot more once it is past its initial 2-3 years.

Plus, you assumed a resale of 3.75 which according to me is insanely-optimistic.
Forget your asking price, you will face your biggest challenge in finding a buyer. Honestly, I have not come across anyone who was even remotely interested in buying a used electric car. 4 years down the line, I do not think anyone would fetch anything in 6 figures. Just my opinion.

My opinion - Stick to your choice of Brio. Unless you are the "go green" types who want to contribute towards the environment and do not mind spending a few lakhs to support the cause.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 21:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Are you sure that the Mahindra will only depreciate by 50% after you have used it for the said period. I have a feeling that the depreciation might be much higher compared to the Brio.

On the other hand no one knows the future. May be the government gives a significant boost to the electric car industry and these vehicles become sought after in our market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Go with the Brio my friend.
e20 will cost you a lot more once it is past its initial 2-3 years.

Plus, you assumed a resale of 3.75 which according to me is insanely-optimistic.
Forget your asking price, you will face your biggest challenge in finding a buyer. Honestly, I have not come across anyone who was even remotely interested in buying a used electric car. 4 years down the line, I do not think anyone would fetch anything in 6 figures. Just my opinion.
I based it on the price of 2-3 lakhs an existing small Reva is selling today, which has very limited features compared to e2O. My take is its could be + or - 0% depending on how it moves.

All other points are valid, thats why the confusion . Brain says Brio, heart is stuck on Reva!
Old 10th December 2014, 22:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Mahindra e2O T20
What doesn't:
1. No Airbags or ABS, real bummer for me and this I feel is the main compromise!
Airbags is an unnecessary item in E2O. In the event of a crash, there won't be anything left of the car even if it had airbags.

Check out the crash test video of older generation Reva:
Old 10th December 2014, 23:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Airbags is an unnecessary item in E2O. In the event of a crash, there won't be anything left of the car even if it had airbags.[/url]
Thats the old reva which did not have crumple zones and steel frame. Are you saying the new e2O Reva has same 0 safety?

The Mahindra Site says it passes EU Crash Test:
EU CRASH TEST: The e2o is EU crash tested. Passing the EU crash test means fulfilling the stringent European safety norms.
http://mahindrareva.com/product/features/safe

Here is the twitter link announcing it: https://twitter.com/MahindraReva/sta...65210189570048

Last edited by madbullram : 10th December 2014 at 23:51. Reason: additional info
Old 10th December 2014, 23:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats the old reva which did not have crumple zones and steel frame. Are you saying the new e2O Reva has same 0 safety?

The Mahindra Site says it passes EU Crash Test:
EU CRASH TEST: The e2o is EU crash tested. Passing the EU crash test means fulfilling the stringent European safety norms.
http://mahindrareva.com/product/features/safe
Too many red flags with those details in the site!
  • I couldn't find any crash test video for the new E2O.
  • EURO NCAP site does not list Reva/E2O/G-Wiz in their list of tested cars.
  • I'm not sure which version of E2O passed the crash test in Europe, since airbags are mandatory to pass the EURO NCAP.
  • I'm curious about which test they did since they mentioned EU crash test instead of EURO NCAP which is the standard test across Europe. Is there a different test called EU Crash Test that is less stringent?

EDIT:
Found that Reva is exempt from crash test requirements since it is classified in Europe as a heavy quadricycle and not a car.
Also, the crash testing that is claimed to have been passed apparently happened at 25mph/40kmph; not at the 64kmph EURO NCAP levels or even the UN-mandated 56kmph speeds.

Last edited by zenren : 11th December 2014 at 00:05.
zenren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 00:09   #14
BHPian

Have mailed Mahindra asking for details. Let me see what they revert back. Thanks for bringing this up
Old 11th December 2014, 00:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have mailed Mahindra asking for details. Let me see what they revert back. Thanks for bringing this up
Please check with them if there are any crash test detailed results and videos available online, since it is not available in the obvious place - the Euro NCAP official site.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks