Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2006, 06:09   #1
BANNED

Palio 1.6 Sport v/s Fiesta 1.6

My friend who is having a maximim budget of 8 lakhs needs a 100+ BHP car. Since he is not interested in MUV/SUV, we shortlisted Palio 1.6 Sport & Fiesta 1.6

Since I had never driven a Palio 1.6 before, I went to the TATA showroom for a test-drive. I fell in love with a canary yellow Palio 1.6 Sport which was displayed at the showroom on the first sight itself. Got a red Palio 1.6 Sport for test-drive.

Since I had driven Fiesta 1.6 before, here are my views
about the 2 cars. Correct me, if I'm wrong...

Palio 1.6 Sport
Pros :-
  • Build Quality a notch above Fiesta although the model is dated.
  • Good reliability than Ford
  • Low price-tag
  • Cheaper spares compared to Fiesta
  • Looks gorgeous than Fiesta(my perception).
  • Can be kept for long than Ford(Old Fiats prove this)
  • Rock steady at high speeds
Cons:-
  • Outdated Interiors
  • Heard about niggling problems with Palios
  • Fiat A.S.S
  • Poor low-end pickup when compared to Fiesta
Fiesta 1.6
Pros :-
  • Nice Interiors
  • Good Pickup in all gears
  • Talk of the Town since it's fairly new
Cons:-
  • Long term reliability not yet proven.
  • Costly spares
  • Bland Looks
  • Ford's A.S.S is also not upto the mark
Although I know that one is a hatchback and the other is a sedan, most of the other parameters are almost similar for both the cars.

So which car among Fiesta & Palio, should you recommend ?

Unbiased opinions are most welcome...
Old 18th August 2006, 06:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

For a range of 8 lacs various options are available.

Chevrolet optra 1.6
chevrolet Aveo
Fiat palio 1.6 sports
Ford fiesta
Ford Fusion
NHC vtec and
Hyundai getz
Hyundai elantra GT petrol.
maruti swift

As a bigger car elantra gt is a superb car. 127bhp engine doesnt perform equivalently and interiors are again not suited to the eye. Fuel efficiency will be low. Hyundai service is good and maintainence even if on the higher side will be lesser than the competition.

for the price A fiesta sxi comes with ABS, spoiler, alloys, better interiors (Leather?????) Height adjust, better ice etc. Lacks the ikons thrill and looks slightly bland as Ikons brother.

But for pure fun to drive factor and looks Palio beats all the other cars above at the price. Fuel efficiency will be low for a torquey 1.6 carrying 1080 kgs.Also interiors as you said are dated and service from tata has not yet been tested.

He can also look at the new look fusion that has debuted atleast a lac lower than the outgoing model. comes with a 1.6 engine producing 100horses and has more space and better interiors than palio. Exterior is not sporty and exactly good looking but is atleast fresh.

Getz and swift are more logical with more frugal engine and better interiors. getz gets more space but gets pipped by fusion.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 18th August 2006 at 06:51.
Old 18th August 2006, 10:24   #3
BHPian

However the comparison seems a bit peculiar as you have chosen cars across segment/body-type. My choice would be Fiesta here. Its better to live in today than the past!
Old 18th August 2006, 10:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

apples and oranges my friend!

Both cars are pretty good in their own right. However Ford A.S.S. is not exactly very good and cost of ownership is very high.

Having owned an Ikon a couple of years back and a Palio now, I can tell you from personal experience that the A.S.S. I have recieved with my Fiat has been much better than what I recieved from ford.

Fiat A.S.S. has been quite bad as well in the past, but things are really improving now.

Moreover, if you go for the Palio, you will save over 2.5 L , a fraction of which you can use to do up the interiors.

In teh end you need to decide whether you need a sedan or a hatch.

P.S. another car you can consider is the fiat Adventure- Butch looks, even better build than the Palio and approx 5.6L OTR!
Old 18th August 2006, 11:22   #5
BHPian

These are my few findings on the web the URL is posted below

Fiat Palio NV 1.6 Sport Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXi ABS
Price
(Ex-Showroom Mumbai) Rs.4,68,001 Rs.7,00,833

Fuel Economy
Mileage (Highway) km/liter 13 15.4
Mileage (City) km/liter 8.6 10.2
Mileage (Overall) km/liter 9.5 11.2

Performance
Maximum Speed kmph 168 184
0-100kmph seconds 12.5 12.6
1/4 Mile seconds 18.6 18.7
100kmph-0 (Braking) meters 50.9 52.5
80kmph-0 (Braking) meters 33.2 33.4

Engine
Engine Type/Model 4,in line,
front transverse. DURATEC
Displacement cc 1596 1596
Power PS@rpm 100@5500 101@6500
Torque Nm@rpm 137@4250 146@3400
Valve Mechanism DOHC DOHC
Fuel Type Petrol Petrol
Fuel System Electronic MPI SEFI
integrated with
ignition

Brakes
Brake Type Hydraulic, ABS
Dual-diagonal split,
servo assisted
Front Brakes Ventilated Disc 260mm discs
Rear Brakes Drums, Self adjusting Type 203mm Drums

http://carwale.com/Research/CarCompa...1=616&car2=585
Old 18th August 2006, 12:03   #6
BHPian

a.s.s better bye fiat r u joking owned a fiat uno before the service was crap now own a fiesta1.6sxi and the a.s.s is way better than fiat and one more thing both dealership held bye one firm shaman(mumbai)
Old 18th August 2006, 13:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmarine
These are my few findings on the web the URL is posted below

http://carwale.com/Research/CarCompa...1=616&car2=585
What is the weight of FIESTA. We know that Palio is 1080KG. That will give us some clue about power per tonne.

Last edited by Ajay_J : 18th August 2006 at 13:13.
Old 18th August 2006, 13:07   #8
BHPian

Owners please jump in and let us know about FORD A.S.S Please.

Last edited by Ajay_J : 18th August 2006 at 13:14.
Old 18th August 2006, 13:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dunno about the present, but I owned an Ikon till 2 years back. I had the car for about 3 years, and while the car itself was pretty good, the dealers were horrible. I tried out 3 dealers in delhi and the A.S.S. experience varied only slightly.

The quality of workmanship was pretty bad generally and I never had an occassion where All the things I pointed out in the job card were attended to.

On 2 occassions, I had grease marks on the leather seats!

However, these were dealers in Delhi- Maybe dealers in other parts are better and it could be that over the last couple of years the service has improved.
Old 18th August 2006, 18:06   #10
BHPian

the a.s.s here in mumbai(shaman) is very good at least my experience has been top notch any minor probs has been looked into
Old 18th August 2006, 18:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Harpreet Ford in Vasant Kunj have been my service center for the past five & a half years - for the Ikon & now the Fiesta. Extremely responsive and attentive so far.....there has been the very occasional "off-day" in the absence of the regular better supervisors but I'm pretty satisfied with them overall
Old 18th August 2006, 18:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J
What is the weight of FIESTA. We know that Palio is 1080KG. That will give us some clue about power per tonne.
Herez one that contains lots of displeasures about the service in bangalore.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-de...e-testing.html
Old 18th August 2006, 19:43   #13
BHPian

in cochin,i personally feel the new tata-fiat dealer,rf motors,is much better than kairali ford.one of my friend's ikon ,which was initially perfectly alright started knocking after taking it out of the service station!!!
between the 2,i settled for the palio 1.6,1 month back.but perhaps if i had your budget i would have gone for the fiesta.mileage is better for the ford.am not sure of the build quality-rattles have started appearing in my car from several areas.but for driving pleasure,the palio will beat the fiesta anyday!!
Old 19th August 2006, 00:45   #14
BHPian

If you have the budget and if you like FIAT palio,then you should probably buy the Palio in its best avatar - FIAT Adventure.It looks really hot in black.Driving pleasure?Well one can only understand that term in its true sense once one drives a FIAT.
I have'nt driven a Fiesta,but knowing that Ikon 1.6 was a great drive,I feel Fiesta should be pretty fun to drive too.
There is one thing I hate about the FIATs though.Its not the interiors which are dated but functional,its the quality of plastics and fiber used all around the car.Nothing rattles in my car though.But it all somehow feels very loose,as if some random day,some random part might come off.And quite frankly,it does at times .Quite in contrast to the exteriors eh?
But its the only thing I dislike about the car,which is otherwise an engineering marvel.I still would'nt exchange it with anything else.Be it a Benz .
test drive both cars and may the best car win your heart and soul(forget the mind)LOL

Last edited by roms : 19th August 2006 at 00:47.
Old 19th August 2006, 00:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

@mithun... i dont think the low end pick up in a Palio 1.6 is poorer than a Fiesta 1.6, i have driven both cars and find then equally good except for awesome midrange of that palio engine.

Most Viewed