Team-BHP - Which car for personal use of an elderly couple?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Which car for personal use of an elderly couple? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/162124-car-personal-use-elderly-couple-9.html)

The needs of an older passenger are as follows based on my experience -

A tall boy design or at least a semi-tall boy design to ease ingress and egress.
Soft suspension at the rear.
Leg space relative to the elderly passenger's height
Seat should be at a reasonable above average height level. Age makes sitting low uncomfortable and getting up from a low position even worse.

So depending on your mother's height and build I would suggest the new Santro, Honda Jazz, Grand i10. Amaze is also pretty good. I bought it for my mother & her sister both of whom are 5 feet 0 inches and average build and in their eighties - its suspension is softer than that of the Jazz (both in my garage). In terms of rear leg space the Jazz is very good for its category. I am not suggesting second hand SUVs as I don't know her height. A second hand well maintained Corolla will be great if within your budget - strong on leg space and rear seat suspension. Let us know what you select.

I would advise against the celerio / wagonr for older passengers. They're both great city cars, but the seats are not supportive. My mom at 62 has a hard time in my celerio.

Why bother with purchasing a car at all for 300-500 km of use per month? Why not go in for Uber or Ola if they are available? This will work out more economical than spending money on the car, driver, fuel etc. Alternative thinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SajiNSalin (Post 4571798)
Why bother with purchasing a car at all for 300-500 km of use per month? Why not go in for Uber or Ola if they are available? This will work out more economical than spending money on the car, driver, fuel etc. Alternative thinking.

Thanks to all who have opined and provided your valuable input. Mum is 5 7' and so she's on the taller side.

So, from the posts above, the new WagonR is one recommendation. The Celerio and XCent are other two choices.

The reason I asked about the Corolla is that there's a used Altis available for a reasonable budget. Given that it seems well kept (not checked out yet) and also it's a Toyota, thought of that.

SajiNSalin - we don't have Uber / Ola in our town. We have fastrack and they are terrible (unclean, not punctual etc.).

I have started shortlisting some vehicles (no WagonR 1.2 yet)

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...k=29&isP=false

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=5&isP=false

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=9&isP=false

I would suggest IGNIS over Wagon R anytime. It feels more premium and its better built than WagonR.
From your post, i understand even Delta variant will work for you in case of IGNIS.

Since she is on taller side, under-thigh support in IGNIS or WagonR will be an issue.

Not sure if you have already taken a decision, but here goes - :)

Contrary to the popular opinion, I will not suggest Wagon R as a car for anyone's loved ones to be driven in. True the ingress and egress is effortless for the elderly, but the comfort factor ends right there. The most important part for the driven folks - the ride in the rear - is seriously nauseating in this skitty bouncy Wagon. To top it, seats are flat, upright, and unsupportive. It is a decent enough car for solo self-drive commute to work, due to its tiny footprint, punchy engine, and easy maintenance, but the ride in the rear, is pathetic.

Ignis, as also suggested by Silverado, is a better option (if buying new). Easy ingress and egress, combined with mature comfortable ride. Or, preferably a used Corolla/Sunny/Ciaz. Apart from comfortable ride, NVH will be lower as well in the higher segment cars, leading to lesser fatigue. Another wild card entry is used Etios cross - Hideous yes, but tall enough to allow comfortable ingress/egress, and also rides well. Let us know what you decide(d). :thumbs up

My grandmother uses an automatic Grand i10, and so do many elderly relatives of mine, all of them love it with its ease to drive and easy ingress and egress. Overall a lovely car, would highly recommend it as it is safer than the lot of maruti's on sale currently.

I just bought a Toyota Glanza V AT for
my elderly parents. Dad self drives.
Doesnt like paid drivers.

And this vehicle is just perfect in many ways for them.

Great seating position.
Nice engine and CVT Autobox
Quite high off the ground to battle potholes.
(Changed to better tyres immediately for better road holding and ride comfort)
Comfortable car.
Spacious for two people and their luggage/ paraphernalia.
Well built and feels pretty solid.
Decent safety features.
Easy to drive and park because of AT and the large screen and camera.
Overall a very nice package.
Well priced too.

I think it ticked all my parents desired boxes and they are happy with the choice.

Im also happy with the car as predominantly it is a city commuter with some highway use every three months.

Amongst all the choices out there, this really was the overall best choice.

For the elderly, safety is a major concern and for those who are green-conscious (as most people are today) conforming to NCAP & BS-VI norms is a given. Throw in durability, longevity & VFM (I am retired, 68 & budget conscious) and I feel that the new Maruti Eeco (https://www.rushlane.com/2019-maruti...-12301948.html) could make a good case for itself. It may not be the most comfortable but as far as durability & longevity goes, its RWD takes it well ahead of the FWD competition. It also has more than enough space for all their luggage if, like us, they too would like to meander around the country.

The old Maruti Eeco failed crash testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rki_iLwSCwg .

But Maruti seems to be cleaning up its act on safety as the newer regulations kick in, it's great to hear that the newer models will have airbags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alterlife (Post 4636350)
The old Maruti Eeco failed.......seems to be cleaning up its act on safety as the newer regulations kick in, it's great to hear that the newer models will have airbags.

Yes, I too felt relieved that the Eeco is destined to continue in its new BS-VI & NCAP avatar. We bought ours this January & now I wish we had waited a while till the newer model - BSVI ready - was launched. But we have no real complaint, it is reliable & quite trouble-free so far. And so long as we drive carefully - keeping a wary eye out for hooligan drivers! - I feel we made a reasonable choice.

My father who is 70 year old is looking to buy a new car in North India for limited city and highway driving (Approx 1500 kms per year run). Budget will be 4 - 6 lakhs. Please suggest a good choice.

70 years old
1500 km/year

Means
Automatic (including AMT)
Petrol
Easy to park (compact)

Your options are
# Wagon R AMT (IMO the best choice. Easy to get in and out of, tall seating position, maruti A.S.S.)

# Tata Tiago (Best build quality of the lot, but the lowest and the hardest to get in and out of, Tata after sales is questionable)

# Maruti Ignis AMT (Polarising looks, might have to stretch the budget, better build than regular Marutis (thanks to Nexa),

# Santro AMT (are you okay with owning a flop model who's future is uncertain? It has electric actuators for the AMT, and it is the most refined AMT(still dont expect CVT or TC levels of refinement) out there)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluidic_fan (Post 4653207)
My father who is 70 year old is looking to buy a new car in North India for limited city and highway driving (Approx 1500 kms per year run). Budget will be 4 - 6 lakhs. Please suggest a good choice.

I think the best option will be the Grand i10 AT. It has a nice interior, enough features, a good petrol and better gearbox than other AMTs. It's even decently heighted so ingress shouldn't be a huge problem.

Additionally, it's a Hyundai so it will be reliable and service shouldn't be a problem.

Looking at the current scenario of the market, you might even be able to get a pretty good deal on one!

I'd suggest the i10 AT as well. Or else the Ignis AT or Wagon R. I know a few senior citizens who love the wagon R because the tall boy design is apparently comfortable. I personally don't find it that comfortable, but for someone with difficulty getting in and out I can see the point.