Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2006, 23:06   #1
BHPian

Hi

I need help from anyone who owns/has driven an Indica Xeta CNG and/or the WagonR Duo. I have to decide between the two and can't make up my mind.

Both cost more or less the same.
CNG is in readily available in Delhi. LPG is a problem
CNG is cheaper
Tata cars are a little dicey, Maruti has a proven track record in terms of after-sales and reliability
Tata is a more powerful car, but its got the image of a cab.
A factory fitted tank is safer

Please help me decide. I'll use it primarily for city driving but budget is limited so CNG/LPG it has to be.
Old 22nd August 2006, 02:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

I own a wagonR vx petrol. But somehow I find the Indica CNG to be a better option between the two.
Old 22nd August 2006, 02:13   #3
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I own WagonR petrol too.. ... but in this case its got to be indica. Though drive one first.... i haven't driven any of these.
Old 22nd August 2006, 04:42   #4
BHPian

Wow, this is a surprise.

I wasn't even considering the Xeta till a friend told me to check out Wolfenstein's review.

The problem with a Tata is it looks good initially, but doesn't age well -- after a year or so it just disintegrates, no matter how well you maintain it.

I had my mind set on the WagonR but when it was released, I got the impression that Maruti was not really serious about it. Hardly any advertising for starters. Then, just see how they've accomodated the spare wheel. Plus there's no effort to convince potential buyers in Delhi (the biggest market) about LPG availability.

Who wants to be stuck with a model that doesn't seem like it's gonna take off?
Old 22nd August 2006, 06:21   #5
BHPian

i would say go for WagonR...
The build quality is better,
FE might be the same,
Price also somewhat same,
and Maruti last longer...
Old 22nd August 2006, 09:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Xeta CNG

Pros:
Spacious
CNG cheaper fuel
Beige interiors
Comfortable seats and interiors

Cons:
Its a TATA, so you never know
Slightly slow in lower gears
"Pep" factor missing which is cruicial in city driving
High mounted dash and steering hamper visibility
Quality of parts questionable

WagonR LPG

Pros:
Maruti reliability and A.S.S.
Slightly quicker in city traffic
LPG safer(?) and than CNG
Refinement levels better than CNG
Commanding view of road for easy city driving
Rock solid reliability

Cons:
Fuel efficiency lesser than CNG
LPG option available only in LX and LXi model
Cramped for space (rear)
Boot space compromised
Comparatively lesser LPG stations

Now make your choice.
Old 22nd August 2006, 09:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The problem with a Tata is it looks good initially, but doesn't age well -- after a year or so it just disintegrates, no matter how well you maintain it.
This perception of your's might be because of the looks of Indica cabs on the road, but I suggest you to go and have a look at Odos of those cabs and you will get surprised with the number. I own V2 for last 20 months and nothing has fallen apart. The amount of driving done on Indicas is way more than the petrol cars.
Regarding your choice, I think, deceite has listed the Pros and Cons very well and it's your choice now. The only thing I differ there is the Pepp factor, I don't think WagonR is any peppier than Xeta, hardly any difference there, but you can drive both and decide.
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a wagonR vx and Indica DLS result in front of my eyes.

my WagonR VX is around 7-8 years old (Dont remember the exact date but it was the fifth car in the state.) Its still doing the duty without any problems (touhwood)

Our immidiate neighbours own a Indica DLS and now also own a Indigo model. their Indica is has never been without problems. They somehow still went for the Indigo.

But the case has turned upside down now.

maruti's quality has taken a flung while Tata is taking every possible opportunity to improve the quality. My friend received some engine part replacement after 3 years for their sumo.

And tata's axually are built tanklike to last for life.

while as an overall product WagonR maybe much better, I would still suggest Indica.

Also consider the fact that CNG is easily available while LPG would be a problem.

What are the prices for CNG and LPG ?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 22nd August 2006 at 10:06.
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
What are the prices for CNG and LPG ?
CNG is 22/kg and LPG 30/kg.
But the drawback with Xeta CNG is that it will have smaller capacity cyclinder, I think only 12kg whereas LPG cyclinder can have upto 22-25 kg of gas.
Old 22nd August 2006, 23:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll
CNG is 22/kg and LPG 30/kg.
But the drawback with Xeta CNG is that it will have smaller capacity cyclinder, I think only 12kg whereas LPG cyclinder can have upto 22-25 kg of gas.
LPG comes in Liters and not kgs...a 30 Lt tank of LPG will cover roughly same distance as that of 12 Kgs CNG tank.

Cheers.
Old 23rd August 2006, 21:28   #11
BHPian

Or maybe I should go for a Santro and install a CNG kit two years later when the warrranty expires. Will the extra fuel cost be offset by the higher resale value?
Old 24th August 2006, 08:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar79
Or maybe I should go for a Santro and install a CNG kit two years later when the warrranty expires. Will the extra fuel cost be offset by the higher resale value?
Why dont you wait for the Santro CNG coming later this year.
Or if you are in a hurry, buy a WagonR petrol and install a CNG kit two years later when warranty expires. WagonRs have higher resale value than Santros. Alsos, wagonR has bigger boot.
Old 24th August 2006, 09:18   #13
BHPian

Well in this case I'll efinitely advise you to go for Xeta... drove one a few days back and its a really improved car... It surely has got more power... it had no trouble carrying 4 really heavy men (me included!!) with A/C at max... no trouble in pick up... the thing about the dash obstructing the view was totally absent... plus you get improved interiors, much more space than wagonR... the seats i was told by the TATA guy were bucket seats (i dont quite know what they are and how do they help), but yes the seating as always for an indica is comfy...
The steering though decent is not like the wagonR's zippy one... (for me its a non issue, for some its not, especially for people who have grown up driving a santro)
And the clincher is that it has CNG!!! its cheaper than LPG.. Plus as you live in Delhi, CNG is available almost like petrol!!
Another thing (though you may or may not agree... I dont quite like the looks of the new wagonR... on the other hand indica is decent looking car especially after their makeover abt an yr back..)
So for me its Xeta...
Old 24th August 2006, 18:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Tata cars are a little dicey, Maruti has a proven track record in terms of after-sales and reliability
Tata is a more powerful car, but its got the image of a cab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar
The build quality is better,
FE might be the same,
Price also somewhat same,
and Maruti last longer..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Xeta CNG
Cons:
Its a TATA, so you never know
Slightly slow in lower gears
"Pep" factor missing which is cruicial in city driving
High mounted dash and steering hamper visibility
Quality of parts questionable

WagonR LPG

Pros:
Maruti reliability and A.S.S.
Slightly quicker in city traffic
LPG safer(?) and than CNG
Refinement levels better than CNG
Commanding view of road for easy city driving
Rock solid reliability
You have your answers in this summary. As long as TATA turns into a quality car manufacturer and shed off the truck maker image, buying its cars is similar to buying a biting dog thats bites its own master.

JD power 2005 survey shows TATA cars buyers satisfaction way below the industry standards. Isn't this enough reason to buy a MARUTI??
Old 24th August 2006, 18:39   #15
BHPian

My choice would be Wagon R. If you already have had Tatas before and are habitual of them, you might think of buying Xeta.

Most Viewed