Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2006, 17:40   #1
BHPian

I'm a student who's looking for the most economical car I can find in terms of:
  • price of the car
  • everday cost of fuel
  • expected costs in terms of maintenance, as well as repairs
I roughly have to drive a minimum of 45 kms, 6 days a week. So let's say in a week I would travel approx. 310 kms.

What I definitely need from the car:
  • Air Conditioner
  • Power Steering
  • Good Mileage
I don't know much about Diesel, CNG and LPG, but from what I hear in Petrol, Alto Lxi would be my best bet.

Any suggestions?

p.s. I am open to second hand cars too, but am apprehensive of the mileage as well as the frequency of repairs they would need.
Old 24th August 2006, 17:56   #2
BHPian

If you want to stick to regular fuels (by which i mean petrol or diesel) Alto is a good choice... i myself have one... gives me aprox 18.5 km/lit with about 30-40% AC usage.... One thing to note is that i mostly drive in the New delhi area so there are not many redlights nor traffic jams...
However with almost 45 kms a day ur best bet would be a CNG car... cheaper by almost 1.5 Rs/km as compared to an Alto.... If u can stretch ur budget to about 3.5 lac, go for the Indica Xeta Gls... and it can be converted to CNG AND THE TATAS HONOUR THE WARRANTY!!!! If budget is a constraint, go for a 2nd hand zen or a wagon r (big boot, so more space after the cylinder fits in) and convert them to CNG... Dont go for LPG... Firstly its not that readily available in delhi and secondly (not of that much significance), its a little expensive than CNG....

Hey one thing i forgot to add!!! have look at this..
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/280028-post429.html

SKODA RULES!!!!!

Last edited by Rtech : 24th August 2006 at 18:07.
Old 24th August 2006, 18:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

I do own a 2006 ALTO Lxi and am pretty happy with it. But considering the distance you need to travel, a diesel will be a good option as well. I get about 14-15 kms mileage with 80% running with the AC on.

All your requirements match with Alto's features. I do not know about your body frame. It may be a bit cramped for taller and well built people. Its comfort for only 4 (including driver).

I need not talk about reliability, spare availability and service of any Maruti cars here. If you can afford a new car, avoid used cars. All the best.
Old 24th August 2006, 18:07   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Most economical car = Alto. Its that simple. Check out also the Indica diesel...you may just like the big car feel more.
Old 24th August 2006, 18:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

I too would suggest Alto. If you are ok with used cars, you have lots of options, ranging from Zen to Santro, Wagon R, Indica etc.
Old 24th August 2006, 18:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

THE most economical car would certainly have to be M800. but if Power Steering is a must, then the Alto Lxi or the WagonR Lxi. i think they both work out pretty much the same overall.
Old 24th August 2006, 20:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Go for new M800. Its old model but i think its a good value car.
Old 24th August 2006, 20:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

How about wagonR duo?
Power steering
A/C
Good mileage

satisfies all your needs!
Old 24th August 2006, 21:07   #9
BHPian

M800 would be the most economical car, but then for a little higher price, you get the Alto which is also quite decent in mileage. We on ours have been getting 15 with AC and around 16.5 without AC on highway runs. All the 3, powersteering, AC and mileage are pretty ok on Alto.

However I personally feel the alto to be more cramped than even M800. Others like WagonR, Xing,Indica etc is good and spacious, good AC but Mileage is a problem.
Old 24th August 2006, 22:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee
Go for new M800. Its old model but i think its a good value car.
The new M800 lacks the quality of the legendry car. My uncle brought one recently and I drove that. Pathetic quality is what I would say. I have owned 3 M800's before I got the Alto. Bad interior plastic, bad rubber parts, paint finish is worst than ever. Switch gear, steering etc are good examples of bad quality.

I have heard somewhere that Rs 75,000 or perhaps lower is all that costs MUL to make a M800. (Not sure if this is true). They have lowered quality to reduce the price and maintain margins both for them and the dealers.
Old 24th August 2006, 23:37   #11
BHPian

Having driven an Alto for 4.5 years, I would say it suits your needs just fine. Good milage, decent comfort level (better than M800), low maintenance cost, excellent AC and Maruti's A.S.S. Highly recomended!
Old 24th August 2006, 23:43   #12
BHPian

Wow! Thanks for all the response! Alto Lxi looks good so far.

Sumed, what is A.S.S.?

I am not really comfortable with getting an aftermarket fitment of CNG or LPG kits, so I guess as far as those fuels go, the Wagon-R Duo is the only option, but I have read mixed reviews of that.

What about Diesel? What are the best options in terms of cost of car, cost of fuel/mileage, cost of maintenance/repairs?
Old 25th August 2006, 06:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal
Sumed, what is A.S.S.?
whats an a$s?

After Sales Service.

Last edited by khanak : 25th August 2006 at 06:08.
Old 25th August 2006, 06:41   #14
BHPian

Have owned ALTO VX 1.1 for about 3 years. I was getting about 13 kmpl. I know that VX series are not being manufactured now. My friends who own ALTO LXi are finding it more economical (16+ in city) than any other car and is good for City driving with Power Steering, etc.

However, the all new Wagon R (though not so economical as compared with ALTO) is recommended.
Old 25th August 2006, 07:55   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal
Wow! Thanks for all the response! Alto Lxi looks good so far.

Sumed, what is A.S.S.?

I am not really comfortable with getting an aftermarket fitment of CNG or LPG kits, so I guess as far as those fuels go, the Wagon-R Duo is the only option, but I have read mixed reviews of that.

What about Diesel? What are the best options in terms of cost of car, cost of fuel/mileage, cost of maintenance/repairs?
I would suggest avoiding diesel unless you're very much fascinated with those oil burners. Count the difference of price between a diesel car and a petrol one, if it is below your six month's petrol bill, then diesel is ok. Otherwise, Petrol is still better. (Yes, even after the price hikes).

Alto Lxi seems the best option for you.

Keep us posted about your choice.

Most Viewed