Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which budget automatic hatchback would you pick?
Tata Nano GenX AMT 146 45.34%
Maruti Alto K10 AMT 79 24.53%
Maruti Celerio AMT 97 30.12%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2015, 23:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Budget Automatic War: Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto vs Maruti Celerio

I would vote for Nano AMT for low speed(under 80kmph) and short (under 100 kms) city use. Alto and Celerio are unsafe cars for high speed highway runs. Nano wins for me for its cute style quotient and smaller footprint.

Regards

Himanshu
Old 19th May 2015, 23:36   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Hi, S2 in the above comparison its written ' Engine Diesel'. Seems to be a small mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

Tata Nano GenX AMT

What you won't:

• Nano AMT has sluggish performance. Struggles on inclines too. Unsuitable for highway runs
• AMT lacks the refinement & shift-speed of conventional ATs
• Puny drum brakes feel too weak in the Automatic variant
• Basic, bumpy ride quality
• Low cost nature & quality. Cheap car image is a deterrent for many
• Tiny 94-110 liter boot
• Niggles & issues as reported by existing Nano owners
• Tata's sub-par after sales service isn't a match to Maruti's

Maruti Alto K10

What you'll like:

• A much improved Alto K10 at the same price point
• Power-to-weight ratio of 91 BHP/ton makes this one peppy li'l hatchback
• More fuel-efficient than before. AMT variant is also an easy sipper @ 24.07 km/l
• Compliant low speed ride quality. Soft suspension is absorbent
• Convenient city car: Light, agile & easy to drive (especially the AMT variant)
• Maruti's excellent after-sales service & fuss free ownership experience

If we compare the K10 with the Nano from the above quoted Team Bhp comparison we can find that the Alto has got much better basics! If a car has got performance , ride comfort, mileage and reliability as its positive's and the other car has all these as its negative's i think there's not much to choose from!

In the voting list the Nano Amt may get many more votes but at the end of the month when the sales chart will come up, the number of Nano sold will be around 2,500 and the Alto will be around 25,000! Just what happened with the Tata Zest and Maruti Dzire! The zest got many more votes in the poll than the Dzire. Refer to this Team Bhp link. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...dai-xcent.html
But in reality when the last months sales chart came up, Maruti sold nearly 19,000 Dzires and Tata sold around 1,900 Zests !

These sales figures are for a reason. When people invest there hard earned money every one see there long term benefits. Tata seriously needs to rebuild there image by making more reliable and niggle free cars to get into the mass market.

Last edited by Samba : 20th May 2015 at 00:06.
Samba is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 23:39   #18
BHPian

My vote goes for the Nano, esp. if it is a second car.
Reasons -

It makes perfect sense to have it as a city car and urban runabout. When you need a larger car (airport runs, family outings) rent a car (or Taxi). If you have a second car which is a highway miler then it is perfect combination.

- Total Cost of Ownership -
With the 3 year service plan it is almost zero cost maintenance in addition to a low purchase price
- Parking Space optimiza.tion
- convenience

e.g.

Consider the difference between the Alto AMT and Nano AMT to be about 1.3 lakh or even 1.2 lac. If I deposited this money into an account @8% interest I will make about 9.6K to 10K per year. So If I rent a Zoomcar (e.g. Honda City @2600 per day) for a week a year, I will still save money! (remember my 1.2-1.3 is still invested).
Considering depreciation, the savings are even more after 3 years.

For highways - a lot safer (than the Nano or Alto) is a car which you can easily rent. For the City - a Nano makes more sense.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 23:59   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
In the voting list the Nano Amt may get many more votes but at the end of the month when the sales chart will come up,the sale of the Nano will be around 2,500 and the Alto will be around 25,000!
Sorry to nitpick but the figure that you see the sales threads monthly is for 'Alto' as a car. The figures are clubbed sales of Alto K10 and Alto 800.

If we get individual sales figures for the AMT ones the difference wouldn't be much between Alto K10 and Nano.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 00:21   #20
BHPian

Voted for Nano. As a secondary car i would not need the power of a K10, nor the build(better among these) of a Celerio. It would more be of a beater car bringing vegetables/groceries and running errand, the small footprint and easy to park helps. The icing on the cake being the lower price.I would rather spend the lakh on something else than spending it on not-ever-required features.

Only qualm would be the mileage. How come the 624 2-cylinder has lower mileage than the 998 cc 3-Cylinder!!
saion666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 00:37   #21
BHPian

Voted for Alto. Would only opt for Nano if money is the biggest constraint. Engine is still underpowered, Tata service and the car itself is too much of a compromise at the asking price.

If Nano AMT came with a >800cc engine with 50 bhp on tap, I would have gone for the Nano, blindfolded.
govindremesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 01:01   #22
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I didn't vote as only one choice is allowed.

Which one would I choose? My answer - it depends.

If it's going to be the family's primary car (or only car), then my choice would be the Celerio AMT in ZXi guise. It has a driver airbag, can seat 4 adults + 1 kid on long journeys, has the biggest boot of the bunch (with the added practicality of 60:40 split folding rear seats), has the best highway capability of the three (thanks to the revv-happy engine, additional weight, wider tyres & a fairly sorted suspension). It also comes with a decent list of goodies.

If the car is meant to be a second / third car in the family, purely meant for an individual's home-office-home commute, or for short urban trips, then the Nano XTA would be my choice. 3 lac rupees (ex-showroom Chennai) is a good price for this clever, no-nonsense urban runabout. For the price, it's fairly well-loaded too. Tata's marketing department has finally got the positioning right for the Nano AMT - it's indeed a smart urban car.

If one is looking for inexpensive thrills combined with the convenience of automated gear change when one needs it, then it has to be the Alto k10 AMT. It should be good fun to drive this car in manual mode, imagining it to be a sequential gearbox. With the Celerio's engine plonked into a chassis that weighs 10 kg less than the Nano XTA (and same weight as the Nano XMA), this one is the pocket rocket of the trio. It's great fun for the driver, may not be so for adults who have to use the rear seat. One wishes it had the safety quotient to match its fun quotient, though.

Last edited by RSR : 20th May 2015 at 01:08.
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 07:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Voted for NANO AMT.

Reason:

1. I would need an Automatic strictly for city purpose as my second car. Highways I just cant enjoy an automatic. Last sunday drove a holden cruze automatic(Chevrolet cruze in india?) to the great ocean road from Melbourne for some 600 kms. Almost yawned through the drive. Promised myself, never an automatic again on highways/freeways. Though am yet to get hands on DSG, this experience left me with a bad taste.

2. The small size makes tight parking/maneuvering a walk in the park. Better than any other car out there. Bangaloreans can relate to this

3. It has enough punch for city roundabouts with decent mileage. Boot space enough for shopping bags.

4. Can be easily used by other family members(read parents/females) as well in my absence.

5. Its cute. Yeah, i always liked the looks. Alto, I liked the previous iteration. The current one is just too tough to digest.

Only grudge is the lack of safety features and doubtful T.A.S.S.

Last edited by SoumenD : 20th May 2015 at 07:53. Reason: Spellcheck
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 08:29   #24
BHPian

Hello all,
If we ever buy an auto box' equipped car, it always has to be ONLY for city use in B2B traffic.
Highways are always much more fun with a high revving engine coupled with a slick smooth MT.
Therefore, my vote definitely goes to the Nano GenX AMT. Reasons are stated below:

1. It has to be the easiest car to drive of the three. That's what one wants in the city. Talk about great turning radius and super-compact dimensions. The Nano would oblige to make a proper U Turn while bigger cars will be struggling with three-point turns.

2. Price. The Alto and Celerio are a bit pricy to me for what they have on offer.

3. Space: Size. The Nano might be the smallest, but its very spacious thanks to the clever interior packaging.

4. Might not be a "peppy li'l hatch" like the K10 *grins*, but has adequate power for city runs.

5. Exclusivity factor and appeal. The Nano looks much cuter and adorable than the other two.

6. Finally, for appreciating this brilliant effort by Tata Motors. The Nano was made for greater things. Wish the car success :thumbsup.

Cheers,
petrolhead_neel
Old 20th May 2015, 08:54   #25
BHPian

In my humble opinion, I think the poll is neither fair nor indicative. We're pitting the Nano, that is at a completely different price point and segment, to Alto/Celerio that is miles ahead in features, performance, engine capacity, and almost every other parameter. In that sense, allowing only a single choice would be restrictive, because the choice will finally boil down to the budget, and budget alone.

More budget conscious people (on this forum) will skew the poll in favour of the Nano, and vice versa! I think that somebody with no restriction on the budget has no reason to choose the Nano, and for someone with a limited budget, the Nano is a stunning deal.

I think the poll should probably have read 'Poll: Which budget automatic hatchback offers the best value for the money paid?' (or alternatively, in informal terms, 'Poll: Which budget automatic hatchback offers the best bang for the buck?'). Please pardon me if the existing poll question meant the same, in which case I misunderstood and stand corrected.
PearlJam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 09:37   #26
BHPian

Voted for Nano considering this will be 2nd car to be used for city commuting.

Besides the pros already pointed out by fellow BHPians, the space that it offers to a 6'1" tall person like me is a distant dream for Alto.
anoop_lamba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 09:38   #27
BHPian

Voted for the Nano GenX AMT. I believe its the best city roundabout car, can crawl in the tightest of the places, fuel economy is good as well. Has great space for four adults.

4 yr warranty is soothing to the mind. Quality has improved so have the features (audio system, MID, dual glove box...). Tata has proven its committed in giving the Nano that extra push to pace it as the smart city car.
Old 20th May 2015, 09:58   #28
BHPian

Hi all. I voted for the Alto K10 AMT. For the price the Nano AMT is very good and it is definitely the budget automatic car here. But I think the Nano is not a complete car yet considering the lack of front disc brakes and lack of enough power for highways and inclines when loaded.
Old 20th May 2015, 11:49   #29

Hi. I have been using a Celerio Automatic for the last 5 months. Done 10,000KM only city riding. Do an average of around 70km per day. Mileage is at around 14.4km with AC. Driving comfort is great. Need to get used to the AMT gearbox since you do get the a push and pull feel when starting from a full stop signal. Good suspensions. Decent visibility though the A pillar does block view. Good head room. Overall very happy with the performance....
Best regards
Harsha
harryvardhan999 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:37   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
Alto and Celerio are unsafe cars for high speed highway runs.
On what basis do you assume the Nano is safer? The Nano got a big fat zero in the NCAP, just like the Alto - Link. Until there is hard data, I won't believe that the Nano is any safer than an Alto.

Lets not overlook the fact that the Alto has better brakes! Active safety helps avoid an accident in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
In my humble opinion, I think the poll is neither fair nor indicative. We're pitting the Nano, that is at a completely different price point and segment, to Alto/Celerio that is miles ahead in features, performance, engine capacity, and almost every other parameter. In that sense, allowing only a single choice would be restrictive, because the choice will finally boil down to the budget, and budget alone.
These are the cheapest Automatics you can buy in India today, hence. Trust me, there will be a lot of cross-shopping between these cars from those wanting a cheap automatic.

Also, I can show you innumerable polls where the cheapest option hasn't always won.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed