Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2015, 20:07   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvibelli View Post
I am looking at these 2 closely for our 2nd car. Will be driven only in the city, mostly for office commuting and for the odd runabout jobs.
My budget is around 9 lakhs OTR. Hence, looking at the Jazz iDtec S variant and Elite i20 Magna variant.

My priorities(in descending order):
1. Ageing (it will be kept for 10+ years, but should still hold specialness even after those many years)
2. FE (absolute must)
3. Reliability (I do not like to visit the ASC, other than for routine servicing, after buying a premium product it should be stress-free)
4. ASS (Maintainence should be low as possible. Toyotas are best for this)
5. Driving dynamics (Easy in the city and it has to be fun to drive, we should not get bored of the car, keeping the time factor in mind)
6. Dog friendly (this is a weird one, i know) and newbie driver friendly (my mom and wife)
7. Resale (Keeping 10 years in mind, it should still fairly hold value)

I dont mind giving a miss for the fancy interiors and features, and hence the lower variants. But power windows and central locking are the absolute must.

Other observations:
Jazz iDtec S - 9 lakhs OTR (Blore)
Elite i20 Magna - 8.75 lakhs OTR (Blore)
The Jazz, gets ABS as well on the S diesel variant.

Please help me choose. Its so frustrating to choose, when your are putting down your hard earned money.
I feel given your requirements Jazz might be a better fit if you can get past the noise of the IDTEC and whether you find it acceptable or not. The diesel I20 has much better refinement but it does suffer from turbo lag and long clutch travel. The Jazz IDTEC is more noisy and less rev happy but provide better drive-ability and FE. None of them are toppers on driving dynamics but Jazz would edge out the I20 slightly on this. There's nothing better than a back to back test drive. But thinking about resale value after 10 years is useless IMO.

I don't know about I20 but my Jazz feels great after 5 years /55000 kms...that's the reason I am not thinking about a new car anytime soon. In fact, the Jazz might do the duties for another 5 years.

Last edited by adimicra : 17th July 2015 at 20:09.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 21:00   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

I don't know about I20 but my Jazz feels great after 5 years /55000 kms...that's the reason I am not thinking about a new car anytime soon. In fact, the Jazz might do the duties for another 5 years.
Thanks for your inputs. Thats exactly the feeling I want to have after 5-6 years of purchase. I envy you.

My heart is also with the Jazz, but the mind is not co-operating. My Mom also bent towards Jazz, Bcoz of high seating position. Waiting to do TD of diesel Jazz. I want to cover all bases before taking the plunge. Honda should have taken better care of NVH. But its not a deal breaker, going by honda City standards.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th July 2015 at 10:59. Reason: Ur > your, Bcoz > because. Please refrain from using SMS lingo while posting on the forums.
Old 17th July 2015, 22:05   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs. Thats exactly the feeling I want to have after 5-6 years of purchase. I envy you.

My heart is also with the Jazz, but the mind is not co-operating. My Mom also bent towards Jazz, because of high seating position. Waiting to do TD of diesel Jazz. I want to cover all bases before taking the plunge. Honda should have taken better care of NVH. But its not a deal breaker, going by honda City standards.
You are welcome, buddy.
What I understand is that the NVH in diesel Jazz is slightly better than City but obviously you need to decide whether it's acceptable to you.

I wanted to make another point - since you are spending 9L on the car, it makes sense to stretch a bit and go for dual airbags and ABS. The Jazz SV variant offer those.. if you find the drive and NVH of the Jazz diesel to be good enough, then I would advice you to go for the SV variant instead of S because of the additional safety of the dual airbags.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th July 2015 at 10:59. Reason: Quoted post edited.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 22:11   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at these 2 closely for our 2nd car. Will be driven only in the city, mostly for office commuting and for the odd runabout jobs.

My priorities(in descending order):
1. Ageing (it will be kept for 10+ years, but should still hold specialness even after those many years)
2. FE (absolute must)
3. Reliability (I do not like to visit the ASC, other than for routine servicing, after buying a premium product it should be stress-free)
5. Driving dynamics (Easy in the city and it has to be fun to drive, we should not get bored of the car, keeping the time factor in mind)
6. Dog friendly (this is a weird one, i know) and newbie driver friendly (my mom and wife)

I dont mind giving a miss for the fancy interiors and features, and hence the lower variants. But power windows and central locking are the absolute must.

Please help me choose. Its so frustrating to choose, when your are putting down your hard earned money.
Both cars are great products from companies known for A.S.S. So picking one versus the other will not be a disastrous decision. I have given my experience with the old model Jazz in post #395 and #391 on page 27 of the Honda Jazz Official Review. On your requirements - Ageing - mine has aged gracefully in 5 years and looks almost new. Happy to post photos of my favorite girl. FE - I don't know because I am too lazy to measure it. A.S.S. - it has been the most trouble free of all my cars thus far in 35 years (my profile lists out the cars) - Honda & Hyundai both have equally good after sales service. Driving Dynamics - excellent for city driving, okay for highway driving, poor for car enthusiasts spirited driving. Newbie friendly - hard to say - three kids in our family came of age in these 5 years and the Jazz suffered the ministrations of their learning curve with a shrieking gear box and has survived well so far! Re-Sale value tomorrow - no idea.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 17th July 2015 at 22:13. Reason: additions
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 12:13   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Ageing
According to me, both Hyundais and Hondas age gracefully without many problems. Parts can also be sourced easily for both brands. Hyundai ASS is good. I don't have direct experience with Honda, but I've heard that they treat their customers well.

Quote:
2. FE (absolute must)
With about 5kmpl more rated, I would pick the Jazz blindly for FE

Quote:
I've a feeling both Jazz and i20 are going to be reliable. Call me biased, but the Japanese cars are still more reliable then Korean ones, but the gap is narrow with modern cars. Both should be maintenance free and you might have to visit for routine service only.

For the city, I think the i20 rides well, but I can't compare it with the Jazz.

To prevent you from getting bored, pick a Hyundai. They have so many buttons, it'll take you years to learn and remember what each one does!!

Quote:
Dog friendly would be the Jazz as it has more space, but newbie driver friendly would be the i20- Due to it's gear change indicator.

Quote:

Honda holds key here.

[quote]
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 11:48   #171
Senior - BHPian

After a test drive of the Jazz V and the i20 Asta petrols, I had the following 2p to offer:

1. Jazz's interiors are not bad at all, just plain looking
2. i20 interiors are fantastic
3. Jazz's petrol is quite acceptable for a sedate (read average) driver, though the i20 felt a bit peppier
4. Jazz's rear bench felt a bit wider and legroom is superior as well

Now the deal breaker: Ride. The i20 just doesn't manage poor roads or load well. There is a lot of sag in the suspension, and she bottoms out very easily even without a full load (4 passengers including the driver, and no luggage). Speed breakers and bumps are therefore not comfortably handled. The Jazz is far better in this respect even though it was driven on the same roads with 5 passengers on board. My relative who was considering these cars has therefore dropped the i20 from their shortlist.

Please note that the comparison was between these two cars (for my relative) and my father was also comparing the ride to his year-old Vento. Features are not of prime consideration to my relative, and diesel is neither required based on their running, nor wanted.
VeluM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 19:54   #172
BHPian

I am really torn trying to make a decision between these two. We need a second "small" car and till recently my 2011 i20 was fulfilling that role admirably. But, now its starting to show signs of age, and my wife who uses it primarily is keen on transitioning to an automatic to ease her daily commute in peak chennai traffic - I don't blame her. I love the elite i20, but alas no auto option. I'm being cornered by the Jazz.

I have grown accustomed to Hyundai's hatches; the fit, finish and features. I test drove the Jazz yesterday and was unable to feel content with the cockpit. It just didn't feel premium on the inside. Having said that, it seems exceptionally spacious and looks nice from the outside.

With the wife's mind made up vis-a-vis wanting an automatic, I guess my hands are tied.

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere already, but humour me - are there any strong indications that an automatic i20 will launch any time soon ? If i buy the Jazz and they release an auto i20 a month later I will never forgive myself !

Any input is welcome - if I have to go the auto route - should I just quietly pick up the Jazz ?
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 20:36   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
With the wife's mind made up vis-a-vis wanting an automatic, I guess my hands are tied.

Any input is welcome - if I have to go the auto route - should I just quietly pick up the Jazz ?
Buddy, an automatic is an automatic.

No matter how good the i20 is, it will never beat the convenience of an AT.

Since it's a car for your wife, and she seems pretty set on the Jazz, just go for it.

The Jazz is a very good car, no second thoughts on that, especially in the auto guise.
Old 21st July 2015, 20:46   #174
BHPian

Quote:
I am really torn trying to make a decision between these two. We need a second "small" car and till recently my 2011 i20 was fulfilling that role admirably.
Sorry if it isn't even in the contention but how about waiting a wee bit for Ford Figo Aspire DCT?
Old 21st July 2015, 20:54   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere already, but humour me - are there any strong indications that an automatic i20 will launch any time soon ? If i buy the Jazz and they release an auto i20 a month later I will never forgive myself !

There were some rumors going around about a diesel i20 AT. But as of now, it is just that-Rumors.

Following is a post I had put on another thread as to why I think Hyundai may not be in a position to launch an i20 AT anytime soon. (Just my thought-Don't hold me to it if they indeed launch )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3755474

How about the Polo GT TSI? Or as RavSam mentioned wait a couple of weeks for the Ford Aspire Launch.
Old 21st July 2015, 21:29   #176
BHPian

I delayed my car purchase decision for 4 months to get a look at the Jazz before signing on the dotted line. However, I was left somewhat disappointed with the latest avatar, hence vote goes to the Elite i20.

Positives for the Jazz : The car's USP is space and boy does it have space. Makes you wonder what the others are doing wrong. The steering was small and meaty, nice to hold and flick around. May not be the best in the business but not an i20 either. The ride is more or less flat, did have slight body roll in a mid/high (70km/h) speed bend. The i-VTEC mill is a gem beyond 4K RPM. It eggs you to stay in the gear and push it till the redline. Oh did I mention, I like how it looks.

Negatives for the Jazz : It is just not plush enough for the price. The interiors felt boring and quality was not the best. I TD'ed the Petrol as per my requirements and was disappointed with the low end performance. It does not give you anything below 2K RPM. Sedate drivers might not find that as a deal breaker but in city traffic you need the low end to deliver. Rear seats were not the most comfortable, lacked some under-thigh support and also I felt the read headrests are a joke for the lower variants.

Finally, I felt the pricing was off the mark by around 20K for the lower variants and 40K for the top spec. That makes the Jazz not much of a value preposition.

Disclaimer : I have an I-Gen i20 in the family and don't like to drive it, hence was looking for a personal vehicle. Also, the points mentioned above are solely my personal observations or conclusions, and did not intend to offend anyone.
Old 21st July 2015, 22:14   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....and my wife who uses it primarily is keen on transitioning to an automatic to ease her daily commute in peak chennai traffic - I don't blame her. I love the elite i20, but alas no auto option. I'm being cornered by the Jazz.

Go for the automatic. Your wife will be pleased. For all the Jazz bashing on this thread it is an utterly reliable city car. Glad you realize your hands are tied; mine have been tied for 30 years now - Best of luck with your buy - Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 23:35   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Sorry if it isn't even in the contention but how about waiting a wee bit for Ford Figo Aspire DCT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
There were some rumors going around about a diesel i20 AT. But as of now, it is just that-Rumors.

How about the Polo GT TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Go for the automatic. Your wife will be pleased. For all the Jazz bashing on this thread it is an utterly reliable city car. Glad you realize your hands are tied; mine have been tied for 30 years now - Best of luck with your buy - Narayan

Thank you all for your inputs !

I'm not a mini-sedan guy, having said that the Figo Aspire make for a very attractive package. I'm concerned that it will have a small cabin, especially when compared to the Jazz; a problem I have faced while trying out other mini - sedans.

I test drive the GT TSI, very enjoyable ! If I were shopping for myself it would have made me think. Again I felt it was a little cramped and this forum has scared me sufficiently regarding the DSG gear box.

I realized that an auto i20 is unlikely - I just needed to hear it from others before swallowing that particularly bitter pill of truth.

I will take delivery of a white automatic jazz next month. I'm feeling bitter sweet about it, but as Narayan pointed out - best to accept that my hands are in fact tied !
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 13:11   #179
BHPian

Last weekend, I visited a Honda showroom (Southern Honda, Tirunelveli) to check out the Jazz once again which was followed by a visit to a Hyundai showroom (Susee Hyundai, Tirunelveli). This time I was accompanied by my wife and the purpose was simple - to compare Jazz and i20 and if possible arrive at a buying decision. We haven't arrived at the decision as the Jazz diesel test drive vehicle was not available. I chose to check out Jazz first and i20 next simply because I was very sure that the other way round would have simply made Jazz a no-go for my wife for obvious reasons.

I was over informed about both the cars and there is always a good chance of bias from my end. However, my wife is not a car freak and had come as a clean slate so I am sure her observations are very unbiased and from the heart. I made sure I did not influence her by telling my opinion on the cars. Below, I am listing down the the reactions and feedback of my wife as I have already posted mine in other threads.

Honda Jazz - VX i-VTEC
  • Looks good from outside, especially the black grille. But the fog lamp enclosure and black air dam panel does not look good
    - But she hated the Sunset Orange color of the display vehicle.
  • Wow! The interiors are so spacious. Looks small from outside and is so big from inside
    - She was very impressed with the space.
  • Getting into the rear and sitting is very easy.
  • Rear seat is very comfortable and the recline option is very good. Will be good for three
    - I pointed out the raised middle section in the seat and she sat on it and still felt it will be good enough for three but slightly uncomfortable for the one in the middle.
  • There is lot of space to sit even with a relaxed posture
    - She was complimenting the rear leg and knee room even when I set the driver seat to my driving position
  • The seat fabric is very rough and does not feel good to touch at. Also the fabric design is very dull
    - Basically she was not very impressed with the all black interiors
  • Boot is also very big. The Magic seat options are also good - but how many times will we put this to use??
    - Unlike some us here, she does not think Magic seats will influence her final decision
  • Dashboard is very plain and dull probably because of all the touch interfaces for AVN and ACC
    - She felt it was not sophisticated enough
  • The front seat is also comfortable and there is a lot of space to sit comfortably and in relaxed posture.
As we were walking into the stockyard to check out all the colors and checkout the diesel car, she saw the Urban Titanium Jazz and was smitten by it. I then revealed that it was my favorite color on the Jazz as well. We then moved into the SV MT i-DTEC. As I entered, the first thing I checked was for the panel to replace Push-button start and it was absent It had the ugly looking Manual AC unit. I switched on the engine and even though loud, I found the engine noise to be manageable. Keeping it in neutral, I tried pushing the accelerator and the engine was very audible but this point alone will not make a swing in my decision. Coming to my wife's observations.
  • The beige seats has a better feel to touch and looks better
    - She basically found the premium black sporty fabric less attractive and rough compared to the beige
  • Rear Seat is lower and less comfortable to sit compared to the VX variant
    - I felt little difference, but it was perceivable for her. Probably for her 5' 6" height VX was perfect.
  • Engine is slightly noisy but our Bolero's is much worse, so I dont have any issue with this. Also, music can definitely make it better
    - I reminded her of our trip in the Amaze and City and she does not remember the noise being an irritant

As we moved out of the showroom she was very impressed with the car and asked if we should actually visit the Hyundai showroom as it would only add to the confusion. I asked her to wait until we checkout the i20 also and she reluctantly agreed. As the demo car came and she entered the car, I could see her smiling and silently approved my insistence to check out the i20 as well.

Hyundai i20 Asta
  • Looks awesome from outside. The Hyundais are beautiful. This wow factor was missing from the Jazz.
  • Rear seat sits as low as SV but felt more comfortable. The fabric is much better to touch than the Jazz VX
    - I think the dual tone interior and the better thigh support is the reason she felt the i20 more comfortable
  • The dashboard is really good. This sophistication was missing in the Jazz
  • Love the Rear AC vents. It is very good and effective
    - Something I felt was gimmicky was actually found super useful by her. The fact that I rarely sit in the rear seat is the reason I missed this perspective.
  • Rear camera display is very clear
    - She loved the resolution of the display and the dynamic guidelines
  • Rear seat is very comfortable and can sit 2 very comfortably. But will be tough for the third.
  • But the space is less on the rear compared to the Jazz. does not have as much knee room
    - She found her knees to be just an inch away from the front seat adjusted to my driving position.She was laughing when the SA was trying to convince that there is lot of knee room for him sitting behind me
  • Boot is big enough and sufficient for us. Does not look much smaller compared to Jazz.
  • Front seat was as comfortable as Jazz's and had very good space.
  • Oh Yes, the engine is super silent and did not even notice that
    - When I asked about the engine noise compared to the Jazz

I was drove the car for a fair distance and the driving impressions were not very positive.
  • The steering felt very nice to hold but was way too light to my liking. Just like my BIL's Santro and FIL's Bolero. I terribly missed the kind of feel my Dzire's steering would give.
  • The steering offered 0 feedback even at speeds exceeding 80 kmph - That was the maximum I could do within the city.
  • There were no speed breakers in the route we followed. But there were a couple as we entered their stockyard to check out the Creta. And Yes, I managed to scrap the bottom in one of them without much difficulty.
  • The suspension was a little too soft to my liking. Not sure of the handling as I did not try high speed lane changes or take a sharp corner.
  • While coming back, the SA took charge of the wheel and was very careful not to bottom out and a careful negotiation meant he was successful.
Overall my wife liked the i20 better than Jazz. In fact I also liked i20 a lot with all the features and premium feel it offered inside out. If not for the steering feel and suspension, I would have booked the car. Now I want to drive the Jazz also and check how different it is. My wife is of the view that even though she liked i20 more, she would not be unhappy if we chose the Jazz. Both are very good cars but the i20 was better overall - except the drive, which we were not able to compare.

Last edited by Vigkey : 22nd July 2015 at 13:14.
Vigkey is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 20:02   #180
BHPian

The Honda Jazz unfortunately missing a trick or 2 considering its On road price of more than 10 lakhs in Bangalore. The first deal breaker is those skinny tyres, why not have magic seats on all variants? the interiors can be better, not really sure why Honda does this?

Also in comparison the i20 clearly scores in all departments especially the interiors.

i20 is the better car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks