Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 09:06   #196
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
May be he wants ABS+air bags and others doesn't really matter. So ? May be not every one needs the bells & whistles shoved down their throat if they are concerned about safety.
ABS+AIRBAGS are also available in that variant
Old 29th July 2015, 11:06   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The Jazz vs I20 debate about to get more interesting -

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2500172_1.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Oh, this is shocking
Quote:
Well, I don't think so..let's wait for the new prices for the I20.
But, many of the petrol variants of Jazz are within 10K of the corresponding variant of the I20. So, after this hike, some variants of the Jazz (petrol in particular) will most probably be cheaper than the I20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
Shame on Hyundai. Talking exclusively about the Elite i20, they first wooed the customers with attractive price tags and features and when the customer reciprocated with admiration and love (resulting in massive sales of Elite i20), they delete features and jack up prices.
1. The price rise is supposed to be across all Hyundai variants (except the newly launched ones and recent facelifts) with the Elantra top model seeing a rise of 30K. The lower segment models will see a rise although to a lesser extent.
2. Hyundai revises its pricing every 6 months or so (last revision was in Jan if I am not mistaken; i know this because i had almost bought the Elite i20 back then). They say it is to rationalize increase in their manufacturing cost over time.

This is what they claim. I am not sure how much truth there is to this but if the increase is in the range of 1-2% of the car cost that may not be far from the truth.
I am in no way saying removal of features is justified BTW, but just commenting on the 6 monthly price increase.

Last edited by ashua : 29th July 2015 at 11:10.
Old 29th July 2015, 19:20   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
But for that 60K more, i20 offers:
  • bigger, better rubbers, 16inch cool to look alloys - nice to have but can live without
  • unlimited kilometers warranty for 2 years - Useful - it is a +
  • Automatic climate control - I do not like it - I love to operate conventional knobs
  • Rear cabin lamps & rear AC vents - can live without - but rear AC vent is a +
  • Start/Stop button - Hate this
  • Keyless entry & Remote trunk opener - can live without
  • Glovebox cooling - Useful during long drive
  • Leather steering wheel & Gear knobs - Good but can get it done out side for 1K
  • Electronic RVMs with folding & Indicators - can live without
  • Electrochromic mirrors - can live without
  • Automatic headlamps - can live without
  • Clutch lock - can live without
  • Impact sensing door auto unlock safety feature that is a +
- and much more...

So?
Thanks, and please see my comments in bold. Hyundai is going to hike the price of i20, so difference may become close to 1 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
May be he wants ABS+air bags and others doesn't really matter. So ? May be not every one needs the bells & whistles shoved down their throat if they are concerned about safety.
+1

Jazz petrol SV variant is a good option. Only feature I miss in SV is rear washer& wiper.

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th July 2015 at 19:21.
Old 29th July 2015, 20:15   #199
BHPian

What about taking a bare-bones Volkswagen Polo then?

Comes with abs and airbags, does have smaller rubbers, unlimited kms warranty, basic ac, no start stop, no ERVM etc. Anyway you can attach the leather wraps for just Rs. 1000. 6.68 lakhs is the price for that variety which is almost 2 lakhs below the Jazz. And heard somewhere Datsun Go and Datsun Go Plus is gonna get fitted with airbags as standard from next year onwards as a part of the India NCAP program. I think for guys who just care about safety and don't give any importance to premiumness, can just forget the i20 and can go with any of the suggested cars. Can save a lot of money

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2015 at 11:58. Reason: Typos
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 20:37   #200
BHPian

Quote:
What about taking a bare-bones Volkswagen Polo then?
Chill out man. No need to get too worked up. I'm not sure why its difficult for you to understand. If one likes the i20 and wants dual airbags and ABS, he is forced to shell out for asta though he might not need those bells & whistles. But for jazz or polo for that matter provide these from mid variant. You seem to endorse the take it or leave it attitude of Hyundai which is not good for customers,i.e., us. And comparing with Go? Come On.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2015 at 12:06. Reason: Trimming quoted text
drpudhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 21:03   #201
BHPian

Not actually. From next year or so, all the cars including the i20 is gonna get twin airbags as standard from the base varient itself. Actually my answer was a specific one for latheesh. Jazz sv is of course a nice car to own but the 75k extra costing elite asta has so many features more. Many over here maybe unaware of those. So wanted to list them all. Also if a guy is after a premium hatchback, he needs some premiumness if am not misunderstanding. If one gives importance to saftey features and space alone, of course Datsun go+ is a winner here. You just compare them back to back. And they have all the features needed by him too

Btb can anyone guide me with the premium features provided in the jazz sv?
Old 29th July 2015, 21:21   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Not actually. From next year or so, all the cars including the i20 is gonna get twin airbags as standard from the base varient itself. Actually my answer was a specific one for latheesh. Jazz sv is of course a nice car to own but the 75k extra costing elite asta has so many features more. Many over here maybe unaware of those. So wanted to list them all. Also if a guy is after a premium hatchback, he needs some premiumness if am not misunderstanding. If one gives importance to saftey features and space alone, of course Datsun go+ is a winner here. You just compare them back to back. And they have all the features needed by him too

Btb can anyone guide me with the premium features provided in the jazz sv?
Well no offence but bringing the Datsun Go into this discussion is stupid. Everyone knows how weak the car is structurally, and I don't think airbags will make much of a difference.

The discussion is about what these cars offer right now, not one year later. Who knows the Jazz might get all these so called 'premium' features next year? Or the i20 may get 6 airbags (like the previous gen). But that discussion is for another day.

As it stands now, to get ABS and dual airbags, one has to stretch to the Asta i20, whereas the Jazz offers these features from the SV variant onwards.

Both the Jazz and i20 are great cars, so it's an individual preference really. One of my friends bought a City Corporate Edition in 2012 because of the safety features. He could've bought a Verna base model which gets more 'premium' features, but missed out on safety.

To each his own, and let's not go too far defending ones purchase. Let's not get worked up please?

Last edited by Aaron:) : 29th July 2015 at 21:25.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 22:11   #203
Senior - BHPian

Well, the poll seems to have settled at 35-36% for the Jazz and 64-65% for the I20.
Actually, it's a great result for the Jazz given so much negative commentary on this forum and many people saying that Jazz is not even close to the I20.

Also, if this poll would have been for the petrol variants, Jazz will be a lot closer I feel.

Anyways, here is a comparo done by Overdrive
http://overdrive.in/reviews/comparo-...vs-honda-jazz/

Some excerpts -
"he Honda’s 1.2-litre i-VTEC unit is better in terms of refinement and performance. "

"The i20 is one of the most improved Hyundais when it comes to dynamics but the Honda is still the more involving car to drive. The steering offers better feel and is a lot more direct."

"the CRDi motor is more responsive, refined and a lot more quiet at idle and while on the move too. On paper, the i-DTEC motor puts out more power and torque but it somehow doesn’t feel like it on the road when compared to the i20."

Conclusion -
"The petrol Jazz is the smarter buy. The i20 isn’t available with an automatic transmission yet so Honda has the advantage here. Compare the diesels and it’s the Hyundai that sneaks ahead in terms of refinement and driveability"
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 06:15   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the poll seems to have settled at 35-36% for the Jazz and 64-65% for the I20.
Actually, it's a great result for the Jazz given so much negative commentary on this forum and many people saying that Jazz is not even close to the I20.
Most , if not all, voted before the news about Hyundai increasing the price. If this is a fresh poll, it would be a very very close call or even a narrow win for the Jazz.
Old 30th July 2015, 09:41   #205
BHPian

Quote:

Also, if this poll would have been for the petrol variants, Jazz will be a lot closer I feel.

Conclusion -
"The petrol Jazz is the smarter buy. The i20 isn’t available with an automatic transmission yet so Honda has the advantage here. Compare the diesels and it’s the Hyundai that sneaks ahead in terms of refinement and driveability"

Ya! This one is the point I talked about earlier. If it is diesels, the i20, petrol, the jazz. I guess, hyundai guys already know the presence jazz has made in the petrol arena, Especially after the cold hearted mid year price hike they have made. They are gonna plonk a better 1.0L petrol guzzler with a turbo in their i20, mostly by 1st quarter of next year with power figures of 118bhp and 17.56kgm of torque. Also gonna get a N-Spec variant with a 1.6 turbo unit in it with 250PS

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ne-396553.aspx
Old 30th July 2015, 12:09   #206
BHPian

For me it is Jazz. I got the Jazz VX 2015 petrol version on 15th of July and clocked close to 1000kms on it already. I am definitely happy with my decision to go with Jazz and my initial ownership report is waiting for its approval.

It is a known fact that Germans perfected the diesels and Japanese perfected the Petrol. Koreans are only a compromise. I owned a Hyundai long time back. Decided I would never go back to them again.

For me, it has to be the best. What is more important in a car, than the Engine and mechanicals? So, the choice was very clear. It has to be Honda. No second thoughts for me.

I wanted to ask this question here. How many of the voters would buy the cars or buying the car or bought car (after Jazz was launched) that they voted for?

Disclaimer: It is purely my opinion and apologies if this is hurting someones sentiments.

Last edited by vprabu : 30th July 2015 at 12:10.
vprabu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 12:36   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
I wanted to ask this question here. How many of the voters would buy the cars or buying the car or bought car (after Jazz was launched) that they voted for?
Good point. I think the mass criticism of Jazz is a good example of herd mentality. The Jazz in not that bad a car as it is made out to be.In fact some members have even questioned the build quality of Jazz which was totally surprising. I visited the showroom a few days back and personally checked it out. The doors feels solid and shut with a nice thud.

Please be fair when judging this car.
thehighwayman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 13:07   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
Good point. I think the mass criticism of Jazz is a good example of herd mentality. The Jazz in not that bad a car as it is made out to be.In fact some members have even questioned the build quality of Jazz which was totally surprising. I visited the showroom a few days back and personally checked it out. The doors feels solid and shut with a nice thud.

Please be fair when judging this car.
Great point both of you...
I checked out the car in person and the build quality and interior quality felt pretty good. It may not have the solidity of the VWs or the FIATs but not filmsy or poor by any standard (for the segment)

And here in this thread(or Jazz review thread) , we had someone comparing the quality of the Jazz with the Alto. I mean, criticism is valid but still this is way over the top. I wonder how many people who have criticized the jazz so much have actually seen the car in flesh.

Last edited by adimicra : 30th July 2015 at 13:08.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 13:29   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Great point both of you...
I checked out the car in person and the build quality and interior quality felt pretty good. It may not have the solidity of the VWs or the FIATs but not filmsy or poor by any standard (for the segment)

And here in this thread(or Jazz review thread) , we had someone comparing the quality of the Jazz with the Alto. I mean, criticism is valid but still this is way over the top. I wonder how many people who have criticized the jazz so much have actually seen the car in flesh.
Alto? Interesting. When it comes to buying car, the first thing I always check is the build quality, sheet metal quality besides other things. Jazz definitely has a better sheet metal used for its body. As adimicra mentioned, may not be as thick as a Fiat or VW, it is definitely better and comparable to others in that segment.
Old 30th July 2015, 13:35   #210
Senior - BHPian

Just from looks alone, I personally do not care too much for Jazz. By comparison, i20 Elite (or whatever) looks good. I was in a Honda showroom on 28-7-2015 and had a look at Jazz. It looked pretty ordinary to me. If I had to choose a manual transmission, and a 1.2 litre engine, I would go for Liva and nothing else.

Some Honda dealers are saying that Honda is not creating enough buzz around the Jazz or that it has been lost amidst the huge hype created by Creta and S-Cross.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed