Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2015, 14:34   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Guys are there examples of cars that haven't done well in the market and succeeded on relaunch? I'm afraid the market response to new Jazz is tepid, don't see any around in Bengaluru. The TV commercial is eminently forgettable, without showing the practical aspects. Any views on this?
Old 30th July 2015, 15:30   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
Alto? Interesting. When it comes to buying car, the first thing I always check is the build quality, sheet metal quality besides other things. Jazz definitely has a better sheet metal used for its body. As adimicra mentioned, may not be as thick as a Fiat or VW, it is definitely better and comparable to others in that segment.
I strongly do disagree with this point. Jazz and amaze has almost the same quality of sheet metal. I have test driven both of this and own an i20 myself.

I can swear and tell both the little Hondas are not on par with the sheet metal quality used in the i20. Even closing the doors and bonnets make a huge difference on the i20.

I admit both the jazz and the i20 are not tanks like the punto, but i20 sheet metal is thicker than the jazz. Fingers crossed!

Those who are telling the opposite thing might not have seen any one of these cars or both in flesh and thereby misunderstood by the hype, Honda is always better than Hyundai.

I think even in the tbhp review, they have covered this section well.
vishnurajanme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 16:14   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
I strongly do disagree with this point. Jazz and amaze has almost the same quality of sheet metal. I have test driven both of this and own an i20 myself.

I can swear and tell both the little Hondas are not on par with the sheet metal quality used in the i20. Even closing the doors and bonnets make a huge difference on the i20.
Hmm.. let's see.
I will keep this short and sweet.

Let's see the kerb weights -

Amaze petrol - 940 Kg
Honda Jazz petrol - 1007-1044 Kg (depends on variants)
Elite I20 petrol - 1018 Kg.

I hope you retract your previous statement... and start backing up your statements with facts.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 16:57   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hmm.. let's see.
I will keep this short and sweet.

Let's see the kerb weights -

Amaze petrol - 940 Kg
Honda Jazz petrol - 1007-1044 Kg (depends on variants)
Elite I20 petrol - 1018 Kg.

I hope you retract your previous statement... and start backing up your statements with facts.
I guess you are heavily mistaken

Writing down the facts.

Honda Jazz EMTP: 1007Kg
Elite i20 Era Petrol: 1066Kg
Honda Jazz EMTD: 1130Kg
Elite i20 Era Diesel: 1222Kg

Screenshots of overdrive comparison and carwale comparison are attached here with.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-1.jpg  

Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-2.jpg  

vishnurajanme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 19:14   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you are heavily mistaken

Writing down the facts.

Honda Jazz EMTP: 1007Kg
Elite i20 Era Petrol: 1066Kg
Honda Jazz EMTD: 1130Kg
Elite i20 Era Diesel: 1222Kg

Screenshots of overdrive comparison and carwale comparison are attached here with.
First of all, I have shown that the Amaze and Jazz have a difference of 100 Kgs in weight. So, you were wrong in that statement.

Secondly, the data here is wrong.
Check the Team BHP review of the Elite I20. Hyundai for some unknown reason doesn't disclose the vehicle weight.
Old 31st July 2015, 11:15   #216
BHPian

Quote:
First of all, I have shown that the Amaze and Jazz have a difference of 100 Kgs in weight. So, you were wrong in that statement.

Secondly, the data here is wrong.
Check the Team BHP review of the Elite I20. Hyundai for some unknown reason doesn't disclose the vehicle weight.
For confirmation, I just called Hyundai. In the vehicle sales form, the vehicle weight is written. It is 1080 for the Sports (O) variant which I own. Also, asta is of the same weight. They told me, lower variants will be in the range of anything over 1050. In the jazz, weight variation will be more as they offer that big spoiler only in the top variant. The number of the sales manager who gave this information: 9605000347 (KTC Hyundai, Thrissur, Kerala) I request team bhp team to correct the wrong information in the elite i20 review.

Websites showing the same information:

http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...cle6397577.ece

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...132,specs.aspx

Last edited by vishnurajanme : 31st July 2015 at 11:17. Reason: mistake
vishnurajanme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 11:43   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about taking a barebone Volkswagen polo then?

Comes with abs and airbags, do have smaller rubbers, unlimited kms warranty, basic ac, no start stop, no ervm etc. Anyway u can attach the leather wraps for just rs. 1000. 6.68lakhs is the price for that variety which is almost 2 lakhs below the jazz. And heard somewhere Datsun go and Datsun go plus is gonna get fitted with airbags as standard from next year onwards as a part of the India ncap program. I think for guys who just saftey and don't give any importance to premiumness, can just forget the i20 and can go with any of the suggested cars. Can save a lot of money
Polo does not meet my one of the main requirements - rear space. I have a 20 months old son who sit in child seat. Wife sit in the back seat when we are travelling with our son.

6.68 and Two lakhs cheaper than Jazz - Where did you get that figure from?

Importance to premiumness - I have driven many cars that have all those "Hyundai" premium features and even more. I know what I am talking about.

Last edited by Latheesh : 31st July 2015 at 11:46.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 10:17   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My choice would be the Hyundai Elite i20.

After driving it for our official review, one thing was clear = Hyundai got the premium hatch formula absolutely spot-on. The sheer quality is unmatched and the car is an all-rounder in the truest sense of the term. It even removed the steering & handling nervousness that plagued the old i20.

As a premium family hatchback, the i20 is hard to beat. Undoubtedly the benchmark today. Hyundai's reliability & after-sales is also among the best.

The Jazz is a step forward of the earlier car, and Honda has improved it in several areas. If it weren't for the Elite i20, the Jazz would probably be the top pick. But the Hyundai is so good that Honda has its work cut out.

Let this discussion focus on these two cars only. Before anyone asks why other big hatchbacks aren't included, well, we have several existing comparos on them. There's no doubt that a majority of 8 - 9 lakh customers will be shopping between these two.
Dear GTO,

You are a very strong opinion maker on this fora.

The direction you tilt becomes a cardinal direction for most of us.

Now you have heavily loaded the argument in favour of i20.

You should not express your opinion in the very beginning. Simply tolerate our arguments bemusedly.

BTW, agree completely with your arguments on Jazz and i20.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:31   #219
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has increased the price of its cars starting August 1st.

The exact details are not available yet but as per reports, the Elite I20 will probably be costlier by 15-20K across variants.

This will mean that the Jazz petrol will probably be cheaper than the I20 for all variants except the top one. I guess Hyundai is probably under-estimating the Jazz.. let's see how the market responds.

If someone has the exact details of the price increase, please post here.

Also, a comparison of the different variants between Jazz and I20 with the updated prices will be good.
Old 2nd August 2015, 22:22   #220
BHPian

Well over the past two days I have driven both the Jazz and i20 extensively in diesel guise.

Stating with i20: I have heard so much about the 1.4 U2 CRDi engine but it was a disappointment. Although refined, there was no turbo gush (similar to Jazz) and no something that should be counted as a USP for i20 (as per me). Its a good car, loaded and comfortable.
I might be the first one saying this but I DONT like the i20's looks. I dont like the unnecessary body bulges (Side doors), excessive slope-ey and curved boot lid.
The outside visibility is also not that great.

Coming to Jazz: Its daylight robbery when it comes to pricing. once you digest that things are better.
The sheet metal has an overall no nonsense shape. Flat-ish sides and Boot, but smart nonetheless. The dash is also high in this one but the overall visibility is better. Drivability is good but NVH is bad. Still all livable.

Seats are definitely better (VX); I found them to be very cushion y and soft. I am not sure how that would translate on longer journeys. VX variant has a much better cabin thanks to elcheapo beige fabric Quality on the lower variants.

Now here I stand, I am/was in the market to buy a small luxury hatch viz i20,polo, jazz etc.

Currently no car satisfies my appetite; at the same time I was hoping to go for the creta but I feel its too overpriced.

I am out with a budget of 9.5 lac on road and not able to decide What car?

Anyway, if it has to be from the two; It has to be the Jazz!! Its a smarter package overall. My opinion.
Old 4th August 2015, 12:47   #221
Senior - BHPian

Actually, the comparison is moot if you're looking for an automatic because the Elite i20 doesn't have one.
Old 4th August 2015, 13:32   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

As per the July dealer dispatches report 6676 units of Jazz have shipped to the dealers. No real impact seen on the other premium hatch numbers-Especially i20. Would be interesting to see how Jazz sustains. If it can sustain a 6-7000 number that will be a major thing for Honda.
Old 4th August 2015, 16:26   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
As per the July dealer dispatches report 6676 units of Jazz have shipped to the dealers. No real impact seen on the other premium hatch numbers-Especially i20. Would be interesting to see how Jazz sustains. If it can sustain a 6-7000 number that will be a major thing for Honda.
Here is the news report. In fact, Jazz is even outselling the City which is an interesting development.
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-jazz...y-2015-1203377
Old 4th August 2015, 20:18   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Here is the news report. In fact, Jazz is even outselling the City which is an interesting development.
Friends, these numbers are not actual sales figures, as you must be aware, but dispatches from the factory to dealerships. We have no clue about the actual numbers sold. Honda has in fact not even come out in public to talk about the booking / enquiry numbers. That actually is not a very good sign as it points to the fact that the demand has not been that great. I will wait for a couple of months to see at what number the dispatches settle. That will give a better idea of the demand. Current numbers might just be Honda stocking up the car at dealership level to ensure low wait times and all color availability. Let us see how the numbers pan out to in the future.

As it was already expected, Hyundai i20 was untouched by the launch of Jazz. On the other hand, City and Ciaz numbers are less probably because the market was keenly looking forward to Creta and S-Cross. But City seriously has nothing to worry until at least the next generation Verna comes to the scene.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 10:22   #225
BHPian

I have driven both these vehicles recently. I drove the Elite i20 diesel and Jazz Petrol MT as the dealer didn't had the diesel version for TD at that time (this was around 26-27 July). But I drove the Jazz petrol AT and diesel day before yesterday. I felt the ride quality is better in the Elite i20 and the quality of interior is very nice and upto the mark and gives that luxury type of feeling which is definitely class leading in its segment. Both the cars are loaded with features varying on the models but Jazz is bit overpriced.

Quote:
Hyundai has increased the price of its cars starting August 1st.

The exact details are not available yet but as per reports, the Elite I20 will probably be costlier by 15-20K across variants.

This will mean that the Jazz petrol will probably be cheaper than the I20 for all variants except the top one. I guess Hyundai is probably under-estimating the Jazz.. let's see how the market responds.

If someone has the exact details of the price increase, please post here.

Also, a comparison of the different variants between Jazz and I20 with the updated prices will be good.
Price increase on the Elite i20 in Gurgaon is not that much, it's only 5k on the Sportz and sportz(O). Sportz diesel was Rs 858307 (EX-showroom + Registration + Handling Charges + H.S.R.P Charges + Zero Dep insurance + Extended warranty + Essential kit). And now the on road price is Rs 863307.
Singh09 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks