Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 18:32   #226
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Friends, these numbers are not actual sales figures, as you must be aware, but dispatches from the factory to dealerships. We have no clue about the actual numbers sold. Honda has in fact not even come out in public to talk about the booking / enquiry numbers. That actually is not a very good sign as it points to the fact that the demand has not been that great. I will wait for a couple of months to see at what number the dispatches settle. That will give a better idea of the demand. Current numbers might just be Honda stocking up the car at dealership level to ensure low wait times and all color availability. Let us see how the numbers pan out to in the future.
Without any idea about the numbers, I can say the following. I was considering both Jazz and City petrol till mid July and visited the Honda showroom a few times. When asked about the waiting time, the sales guy told me that they have some cars in stock (even Jazz), so I may as well get one immediately if I wanted to buy. Not sure about the diesel, but surely the petrol Jazz is not in too much of demand.

I have test driven both i20 and Jazz petrol recently. I also felt i20 wins in features, feel and ride and looks. Jazz wins in space, and may be only by a small margin in engine performance, at that level.
Old 6th August 2015, 23:50   #227
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has increased the prices of all variants of I20 by 5K.

Also, they have introduced a new Asta(o) variant with AVN at an additional cost of 20K.
Guess this is in response to Jazz offering the AVN in the VX variant.

The Asta (O) is around 15K cheaper than the Jazz VX for petrol.
But the other variants are pretty close.
Old 7th August 2015, 11:07   #228
Senior - BHPian

I had refrained from posting on this thread & the official review thread till now. But now that I have seen a few new Jazz on the road, I agree with adimicra. In petrol, the Jazz does have an edge over the i20 in my opinion. Jazz looks pleasant from all angles. I quite liked the looks. Paint quality too was good on the cars I saw. Interiors, while not as good as i20, are decent enough.

I won't vote as I do not see a clear winner. Both the cars have their pros & cons.

Last edited by AkMar : 7th August 2015 at 11:14.
Old 9th August 2015, 11:44   #229
BHPian

http://www.cartoq.com/cars-with-the-...r-rs-15-lakhs/

Just found out this post. They have listed elite i20 in the list of cars with best build quality under 15 lakhs :O
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 12:12   #230
BHPian

I vote for Jazz even though its like choosing between lesser of two evils.

I found Elite i20 with gimmicky features, lousy to drive, build quality very average. No AT for premium hatch, what a joke!

Test driven i20 and found it very lethargic in over taking or accelrating, Jazz is no better but atleast it has decent AT.

No offence to anyone but there are better cars in this segment then these two.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 14:30   #231
Senior - BHPian

So, I saw the first Jazz in white today. Coincidentally it was next to the Elite i20 and as we were all stuck in a long jam I had decent opportunity to observe both at the same time from outside.

I have seen Jazz in brown and that orange color as they Park at my gym but never in white. I was under the impression i20 beats Jazz hands down when it comes to looks dept. but I was so wrong. In white I dare say Jazz looks bigger and better. Seems like now I need to check Jazz thoroughly at the Honda showroom as and when I get time.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 14:44   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I was under the impression i20 beats Jazz hands down when it comes to looks dept. but I was so wrong. In white I dare say Jazz looks bigger and better. Seems like now I need to check Jazz thoroughly at the Honda showroom as and when I get time.
Yesterday when I saw the pearl white Honda Jazz in the showroom I was bowled over. I expected it to look good but the white in Jazz looks stunning and IMO it beats the I20 in looks. The front in particular of the Jazz looks really fabulous. The Jazz in white will guarantee a second look.
Also, Jazz indeed looks bigger than other cars of similar dimensions because of its unique mono-volume shape (Honda calls it cross-fade mono-form or whatever). So, it has excellent road presence.

Last edited by adimicra : 9th August 2015 at 14:53.
Old 9th August 2015, 18:55   #233
BHPian

The only feature missing in Elite i20 is an option to buy Automatic. I would love to see Hyundai launch Elite i20 with the same 6-speed torque converter gearbox doing service in Creta.

The current price difference between Creta SX+ MT and AT is INR 94k. In Mumbai, 1.2 Kappa Dual VTVT 5-Speed Manual Asta (O) is available for INR 7.49 lacs. So technically Hyundai can launch AT variant of Asta (O) for INR 8.43 lacs. This would be only INR 20k higher than Jazz V variant with CVT which is sold for INR 8.23 lacs.

For this INR 20k premium, Elite i20 will offer lot more goodies than Jazz. In fact, Sportz AT variant could easily be launched at 7.65 lacs which would be super value for money.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 01:31   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
For this INR 20k premium, Elite i20 will offer lot more goodies than Jazz. In fact, Sportz AT variant could easily be launched at 7.65 lacs which would be super value for money.

I second this line of through 100%. I'm making the full payment for a taffeta white jazz CVT tomorrow, for delivery later in the week. If there was even a shred of credible evidence that Hyundai would actually launch an automatic variant of the i20 I would cancel my booking and run to the nearest dealership.

For reasons I don't understand, the i20 has never seen the 1.2 engine mated to an automatic transmission; instead a separate 1.4 engine has been introduced to power the automatic variants throughout the i20's history.
Old 10th August 2015, 13:52   #235
Senior - BHPian

Elite i20 design already looks old just like Fluidic Verna, but it looks nice in white.
Old 11th August 2015, 21:01   #236
Team-BHP Support

A dealership in Bangalore sure is taking Honda head on.
Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20-11831641_957921630940438_8960882267098837851_n.jpg
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 21:14   #237
Senior - BHPian

Lol...never seen anything like this.. I guess they are actually helping Honda
Old 12th August 2015, 09:31   #238
BHPian

Lol... Actually honda can sue them for using their logo naa? I guess this banner is put right in front of the Honda Showroom. Similar cases are here in kerala. In front of most of the Engineering colleges, there will be many banners stating "Supplies? Contact us to get yourself pass btech"
Old 21st August 2015, 14:03   #239
BHPian

My perspective on this - I am looking for a premium hatchback(Deisel) for my wife. This is the daily runabout car primarily used for work, shopping etc. We have an Ertiga for long trips when the whole family is involved. So for me, space isn't a priority. What is a priority are the creature comforts inside the car. To name a few - Center Armrest, Parking sensors,Auto headlamps and generally nice looking interiors. So for my requirement , the Elite i20 makes a strong case for itself and my money is on this. The jazz although big and airy doesn't really strike a cord when it comes to the premium factor.My vote is for the Elite i20 and would be making the purchase in a few months - i20 Asta or the i20 Asta(O)
Old 22nd August 2015, 19:53   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
My perspective on this - I am looking for a premium hatchback(Deisel) for my wife. This is the daily runabout car primarily used for work, shopping etc. We have an Ertiga for long trips when the whole family is involved. So for me, space isn't a priority. What is a priority are the creature comforts inside the car. To name a few - Center Armrest, Parking sensors,Auto headlamps and generally nice looking interiors. So for my requirement , the Elite i20 makes a strong case for itself and my money is on this. The jazz although big and airy doesn't really strike a cord when it comes to the premium factor.My vote is for the Elite i20 and would be making the purchase in a few months - i20 Asta or the i20 Asta(O)
Keshav, 2 points to add. Your best bet will be to take the asta. Asta(O) gets a fully loaded touchscreen with a dozen knobs and buttons at 28K more the onroad price of asta but loses on auto dimming irvms.

If you really like to get the touchscreen version and can sacrifice on the autodimming irvms, there is nothing to lose too. Compared with the jazz touchscreen, elite offers many manual controls too as it makes it easy to operate, even when driving.

Visit the elite i20 ownership thread to see reviews about the same
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks